MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-10-28, 04:54
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Bass > every other instrument?

I was on another message board and said that bass is the most important instrument in a band, as it keeps everyone grooving. I said
Bass > drums > guitars > singer

to which someone replied

Aww, don't get all butt hurt Mr. Bass-man

Guitar > vocals > Drummer=Bass

Without the guitar you've got the vocals going over a drum beat and a bass line, which just sounds empty without the rhythm guitar to provide some sort of substance.
Without the singer, you've got a jam session.
Without the drums or bass, you've got an acoustic number.

I sure think bass is more important than just keeping a song from "an acoustic number"
Thoughts?

Old 2006-10-28, 09:21
VolVox
New Blood

I think this always depends on the Music you make.
Even inside metal, there are many differences.

Old 2006-10-28, 16:47
Requiem
Post-whore

Bass players are 1337

Old 2006-10-28, 17:10
Pr0az
Post-whore

All are equally important. The bass to me can make a metal song sound heavier and a lighter song sound lighter. We have jammed without our bass player before you can tell you're missing something. Honestly the most important member in a band to me is the drummer.(A Full Band) His like the backbone of everything in the band. Also it can brake down to who is harder to find in your area like. Like is it harder to find a singer, guitarist, bass player, drummer. Here it's hard as hell to find a drummer.

Last edited by Pr0az : 2006-10-28 at 17:14.

Old 2006-10-28, 23:39
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
All are equally important. The bass to me can make a metal song sound heavier and a lighter song sound lighter. We have jammed without our bass player before you can tell you're missing something. Honestly the most important member in a band to me is the drummer.(A Full Band) His like the backbone of everything in the band. Also it can brake down to who is harder to find in your area like. Like is it harder to find a singer, guitarist, bass player, drummer. Here it's hard as hell to find a drummer.

+1
actually that guy that replied to you is an ass. I would bet the farm that he is either a lead guitarist or a vocalist.(leads and vocalists dont be offended, you know how some of you get) But the vocals are actually the LEAST important piece of an ensemble. every instrument that is credible(IMO) should be able to make beautiful solo parts. vocals cant really do this. They claim a'capella, but does anyone at all really care for that? One of my instructers told me that he believes the term "instrumental" is a slap in the face to serious musicians, and that vocal music is for those who cant think on their own. which makes sense, considdering vocals almost literally tell you what to think of society.ESPECIALLY in pop music.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg