MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-10-25, 13:17
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Exclamation The strangest feedback problem ever?

I have a fucking massive and strange problem thats been taking too much of my much needed time, and it is very odd.

Ive been having pickup problems for fucking ages. After re-potting to no avail, I decided to change neck pup (as bridge seemed fine).

I got a SD Jazz, same damn problem.

So I decide, hmm, it must be pots/ switch. I got them replaced today, and wired everything up. FEEDBACK MORE THAN EVER.

(edit: Feedback more than ever as in, on old components only neck pickup had terrible feedback, with bridge a large amount, but nowhere near what it is now. New components, everything is fucked, and switch is a bit different, as position 4 has no signal ... but read on to justify this)

In complete despair, I asked a good mate (*insert name here*), what could be wrong. He gave me the idea that it could be the amp (Peavey Bandit). So I quickly went over to a mates to try out his amp(Marshall cab + head), with my lead, and what do I hear? ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT TONE.

(edit: although wiring may be a tad off (though it shouldnt, its the best job i've ever done) the amp worked fine, position 4 still killswitch, but everything is good, and im actually happy with killswitch idea)

In relief, I think, Oh.. its the amp thats fucked, and it comes off my mind for a few hours.

I then realise I have another amp, which I completely forgot about. I plugged my guitar in, with a brilliant plan to try and amplify my tone with my bandit (as practice has headphone jack... plug lead from headphone to input on bandit, and it worked to amplify), and what do I hear?

HORRENDOUS FEEDBACK.

I'm completely dumbfounded. I'm having a practice at a mates tomorrow, so I'll take my Peavey, as I don't think anything is wrong. If something was wrong, the BC Rich 12 watt amp should be fine.

I have these ideas, which seem strange, but in such a situation, i'm just stuck.

a) guitar wiring is fucked, problem I thought to be initially, most probably something with grounding, but my mates Marshall somehow overcame the problem??. I have spent so many hours re-wiring my guitar, it is basically at perfection right now, however, with new pots and switch, only old components are the input jack, and bridge (relevant due to bridge grounding).

b) both my amps are fucked in the exact same way, or my guitar responds differently to my amps than others??? man i'm fucking dumbfounded.

c) A massive electromagnetic leak in my house??? I tried it em in another room without electrical devices (except for stereo) and still fucked.

d) all of the above THAT WOULD SUCK.

Anyhow, taking amp and guitar to mates place might clear a bit up, I have a feeling feedback will still be there though... dunno why, it just feels like it. I don't have another guitar to try out, I might ask friend to bring his on weekend or ill put a pickup into my out-of-action guitar to try shit out.

I really hope someone takes time to read this, or at least skim over, and give me some ideas... PLEASE PEOPLE. I HAVE A BIG PERFORMANCE ON WEDNESDAY HOLY SHIT

Last edited by problematic : 2006-10-25 at 13:36.

Old 2006-10-25, 15:00
HermanRi!
Post-whore

maybe theyre (amps) both fucked try the amps with another guitar

Old 2006-10-25, 15:01
Soeru
Post-whore

Borrow an amp and another guitar for the show. :P

Are there a lot of electric devices at home on when you play? Do you live near to a nuclear powerplant/electric tower? Could be something wrong with the electric foundation in your house/apartment too, to be sure of that try your friends amp at your house.

It's either c or b(you're amps are fucked).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-10-25, 15:21
rapeandruin
Post-whore

could it be a bad cable? If your guitar plays fine at a friend's a not at yours it could not be the amp and instead be the cable you are using to hook up your guitar to the amp. Have you tried switching that out?

Old 2006-10-25, 15:40
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
could it be a bad cable? If your guitar plays fine at a friend's a not at yours it could not be the amp and instead be the cable you are using to hook up your guitar to the amp. Have you tried switching that out?

That's what I was thinking. Bad cable...

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-10-25, 17:41
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Bad cable maybe, or interfering electric devices.
Plug as much stuff out of the house and try again.
Try a different power outlet.
Is your computer on when you play?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-10-25, 17:53
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
Is your computer on when you play?

yeah, thats a big one, well the monitor anyway.

If the pickup is passive, check that it's grounded properly.

I bought a guitar off ebay with a DiMarzio X2N in it for less than £50. The seller said he was not satisfied with the sound - it made a horrible noise when I tried it, sure enough when I opened it up there was no grounding wire at all, works fine now I've grounded it.

Old 2006-10-25, 18:06
HermanRi!
Post-whore

it isnt the cable, he says it worked fine on his friends rig:

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
I quickly went over to a mates to try out his amp(Marshall cab + head), with mylead, and what do I hear? ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT TONE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

it obviously is grounded properly if its working fine on his friends rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
If the pickup is passive, check that it's grounded properly.

like what others have said, i think it might be interference from other electrical equipment. try taking your amp and guitar to your friends house.
but it could also be down to your amps, maybe theyre both fucked.

Last edited by User01 : 2006-10-25 at 18:12.

Old 2006-10-25, 18:22
k13m
Post-whore

did you resolder the wires going to the jack input?? maybe you switched those around wich does results in feedback/noise. i read on a guitarbuild forum that alot of builders accidently switch the 2 wires around and get alot of noise. so maybe you should try that just to be sure.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-10-25, 18:46
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I then realise I have another amp, which I completely forgot about. I plugged my guitar in, with a brilliant plan to try and amplify my tone with my bandit (as practice has headphone jack... plug lead from headphone to input on bandit, and it worked to amplify), and what do I hear?

HORRENDOUS FEEDBACK.

I don't know if this is a very good idea, they surely aren't designed to work like that, so the feedback might happen to anyone doing this using anything at all. Is it a valid test?

Do you have another guitar you can try?

Old 2006-10-25, 20:50
rapeandruin
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
it isnt the cable, he says it worked fine on his friends rig:

it obviously is grounded properly if its working fine on his friends rig

like what others have said, i think it might be interference from other electrical equipment. try taking your amp and guitar to your friends house.
but it could also be down to your amps, maybe theyre both fucked.

Oh I didn't know what HIS LEAD meant. Now I know though...weird...

Old 2006-10-25, 21:44
Pr0az
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
did you resolder the wires going to the jack input?? maybe you switched those around wich does results in feedback/noise. i read on a guitarbuild forum that alot of builders accidently switch the 2 wires around and get alot of noise. so maybe you should try that just to be sure.

^ What he said.

Also, if you have multiple/multi effect pedals hooked up together; the order you put them in can cause major feedback. I know that from experience.

Last edited by Pr0az : 2006-10-25 at 21:49.

Old 2006-10-26, 00:11
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
^ What he said.
only weird thing is, if it works right on his buddies amp, then it cant be the switched wires, cuz it would give feedback on ANY amp if he did switch the wires of the inputjack around i guess??

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-10-26, 00:21
Pr0az
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
Also, if you have multiple/multi effect pedals hooked up together; the order you put them in can cause major feedback. I know that from experience.

Yea i didt read fully. I guess if up above is his case than he should chang the order of his pedals.

Old 2006-10-26, 01:22
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Does the bandit have reverb?

Down the bottom of the inside of the amp, there should be a random metal case like this http://www.synthesizers.com/q115f1.jpg Only if the amp has spring reverb.

There should be two RCA leads comming out of it, a black and a red usually I think. Try taking them both out. Crank on the amp and see if the feedback is still there. If it's not you will have to take out the Reverb Tank, open it and check for any loose solders or anything.

Not sure if thats the problem but it might be, so have a go.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-10-26, 09:27
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Does the bandit have reverb?

Down the bottom of the inside of the amp, there should be a random metal case like this http://www.synthesizers.com/q115f1.jpg Only if the amp has spring reverb.

There should be two RCA leads comming out of it, a black and a red usually I think. Try taking them both out. Crank on the amp and see if the feedback is still there. If it's not you will have to take out the Reverb Tank, open it and check for any loose solders or anything.

Not sure if thats the problem but it might be, so have a go.

Amen to this, it's probably an issue with the Reverb on the amp/amps

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-10-26, 11:00
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Really?? Reverb? As I'm about 80% sure it's the amp(s).

Took it to drummers, feedback like gay. Had to hook up his multi effects pedal when i'm on the clean. Worked well, only a reasonable amount of feedback at ear bleeding volume.

So i'm guessing the distortion channel is fucked? If it was that reverb problem, would it affect the clean channel aswell? I dont want to fuck around ripping shit out, i'll check with Peavey about my warranty.

This is still very strange. It seemed as if the problem worsened over time, the more I tried to fix it. It's also extremely odd how both my amps are fucked in the same way (one of which was sitting in a cupboard for well over a year) at the same time, during extensive DIY repairs.

Last edited by problematic : 2006-10-26 at 11:03.

Old 2006-10-26, 12:34
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
during extensive DIY repairs.

that *might* be your problem.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-10-26, 20:42
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
So i'm guessing the distortion channel is fucked? If it was that reverb problem, would it affect the clean channel aswell? I dont want to fuck around ripping shit out, i'll check with Peavey about my warranty.

Its not hard to check man, just unplug the 2 plugs going from the reverb tank down the bottom. The amp will still work, it just wont have the reverb.

What can happen is as your tone is passing through the reverb tank, and springs - if there is a dodgey connection or anything in there, it will get amplified when the signal gets sent back to the amp. Meaning that a tiny problem gets amplified to an annoying fucking scream.

When I bought my tube amp I got it home and it had the same problem. It was only on the clean channel very slightly (terrible on the dirty channels), when it was up louder. It got worse when I adjusted the reverb knob aswell I think. I thought it was microphonic tubes, but I did a bit of research and posting on amp forums, and it took like 5 minutes to fix. I just opened it and put some solder on a ugly looking connection.

If the reverb control effects the squealing at all, i'd say the reverb tank is the culprit. But you might as well check, all you need to do is unplug the 2 leads on the side of the tank.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-10-27, 14:51
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
that *might* be your problem.

Heheh, nah, It's a simple circuit and goddamn did I perfect every solder joint. It's fine

Well, Opethfan, I haven't tried the reverb thing yet, as my amp is at a mates', but the problem is also on my other amp, which does not have reverb.

I notice at full gain the feedback is tremendous. The second I decrease gain, the feedback decreases in an exponential sort of way. But it's no excuse. As I turn up the volume with the lower gain setting, the feedback is almighty. Slut.

But yeah, at my mates' I had a old ass shitty Zoom multi fx for distortion, and at high volume, feedback was standard (being a low-wattage amp, of 100)... Really wasnt a problem.
When I plugged his bass into my amp, feedback was different (not a GRRR, more like a SHHHH) but still extremely loud.

I klnow I mentioned this before, but turning down the gain on my practice amp made me think again. What if it isn't the amp? What if my wiring is still gay and the feedback is due to the extremely high treble + gain. That would mean I waste money repairing my amp for nothing. We'll, ill get another guitar on my amps, I think that's the main thing I need to do.

Cheers Niggaz.