MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2006-11-05, 10:12
New Blood

Did i Say that.. SS = Solid State.. ampegs tend to sound thin an loose.. not your best bet for death metal.. Sorry.
Old 2006-11-05, 14:45
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
I would have to diagree with you. Dying Fetus and Misery Index as well as some other bands use solid state Ampeg heads and I would definitely not describe their sound as loose or thin sounding.
Old 2006-11-09, 08:27
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMAN
Did i Say that.. SS = Solid State.. ampegs tend to sound thin an loose.. not your best bet for death metal.. Sorry.

Maybe some of their other amps aren't good for this music but everyone and every review says the vh-140 and ss-140 are brutal metal amps.
Old 2006-11-12, 17:00
New Blood

They are fucking brutal. I play through an Ampeg Vl1002 (all tube, designed by Lee Jackson), Im assuming its a higher version of the vh140 or something. The sound is incredibly thick, and it has loads and loads of fucking gain, more gain than my friends Mesa. I know the Vh140 Suffocation and Dying Fetus use, and I think Odious Mortem (or maby it was Disgorge, one of those bands). I would say it is perfect for Technical Death Metal, If you have more cash, you could search up a Vl1002, but they are hard to find and a bit expensive, im lucky .
Old 2006-11-13, 01:00
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Don't waste your time trying to play CC through a SS Ampeg.. Your just gonna get garbage gain with shitty fizz everywhere.. if you want that.. buy a Metalzone.

funny you should say....

the crate shockwave's preamp, aswell as the older gx130c are built around the preamp design of the vh140c. and jack owens(ex cannibal corpse) played the gx130ch for many years before switching to the bv300.

as for the metalzone comment, it's said that pat from cc has used an mt-2 with his triple recto... not too sure if it's just a recording thing or if he does it live too. aside from that, i hate metalzones...
Old 2006-11-13, 12:24
Post-whore

Effigy of the Forgotten was recorded with this amp. THAT SAYS A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

Edit: By the way, Erik Rutan used the Ampeg Lee Jackson on all of the solos he's done on most of his records, both in Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal, as well as in Alas and all of his other guest solos in other bands.

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-11-13 at 12:28.
Old 2007-01-18, 04:07
Senior Metalhead

Well here's an update if anyone cares. I bought a Crate GX-130C from ebay for 200 bucks. It's the combo version. I heard CCorpse used these in the past and the preamp is based on the Ampeg VH140c. I hope I like it. I should based on the reviews of like minded individuals. I'm just happy to get back into the guitar thing after taking a long break.
Old 2007-01-18, 05:23
Post-whore

It should sound pretty good, but not exactly like the Ampeg. Definately the "next best thing" to an Ampeg combo because they're hard to find these days, but Crate GX's are fuck-all common. Just hope it doesnt succumb to spontaneous channel switching though, good luck.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-01-18, 07:30
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
It should sound pretty good, but not exactly like the Ampeg. Definately the "next best thing" to an Ampeg combo because they're hard to find these days, but Crate GX's are fuck-all common. Just hope it doesnt succumb to spontaneous channel switching though, good luck.

Yah it's the best I could do with my limited income. Being married and having a shitty job does that to you. I'm happy to have a noise box again though. I have to say though, they're not as readily available on ebay as much and the ones that are are expensive. I've seen some of the heads go for like 100 - 150. I think I got a good deal on the combo. If it does mess up, I work for an electronics manufacturer so I can fix it myself or have one of the engineers look at it.

Last edited by Zombietime : 2007-01-18 at 07:34.
Old 2007-01-18, 11:30
Metalhead

Quote:

Thats why anyone should but a sonic maximizer behind it if you want to get the beef with any amp thats not as good on its own!
Old 2007-01-18, 11:33
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Effigy of the Forgotten was recorded with this amp. THAT SAYS A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

Edit: By the way, Erik Rutan used the Ampeg Lee Jackson on all of the solos he's done on most of his records, both in Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal, as well as in Alas and all of his other guest solos in other bands.

Didnt know that! Interesting!
Old 2007-01-18, 13:15
Post-whore

Yeah, btw the Lee Jackson Ampegs (VL's) are tube amps not SS.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2009-04-05, 03:23
New Blood

ampeg problem

I have an ss 140c head and I'm having trouble w the channel switching; it's not switching from the A to the B channel. It's pissing me off! I took the thing apart and cleaned it up a bit, but it's not switching to the B channel. Anybody have a clue to what it could be? I don't want to get rid of it cause it has some great distortion and the clean channel is very good.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:21
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryogenics66
I have an ss 140c head and I'm having trouble w the channel switching; it's not switching from the A to the B channel. It's pissing me off! I took the thing apart and cleaned it up a bit, but it's not switching to the B channel. Anybody have a clue to what it could be? I don't want to get rid of it cause it has some great distortion and the clean channel is very good.

the relay either has broken connections, or is fried. Easy fix.

OR, your footswitch is broken. Again, easy fix.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2009-04-09, 18:06
New Blood

I have an ampeg ss 140c for sale. If anyone want it just pm me and i will sell through ebay with paypal. This amp have really nice tone you can do a shearch on youtube to ear it and i played it alot through a vader cabinet and its crazy.
Old 2009-05-26, 11:15
Senior Metalhead

Zombie, I'm not sure but I think that the VH-140c is a tube counterpart to the ss-140c.