MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-10-14, 17:52
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Ampeg SS140c - can it do what I want? (CCorpse, Suffocation)

I'm getting back into making music after a long break and I like the recent Cannibal Corpse tone and pretty much all of Suffocation's sound. I used to have a Randall RH100 which I thought was pretty good for what I play but i'd like to try something different. I've heard a lot about the Ampeg VH140c but I found a SS140c for sale near me. Any comments on this amp?

I've also been looking at a Crate GX-130C.

Old 2006-10-14, 18:14
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

i think i've played a SS140c before. if i remember correctly, it was pretty decent.

Old 2006-10-14, 18:24
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
i think i've played a SS140c before. if i remember correctly, it was pretty decent.

How would it compare to the Randall RH100 I used to have? If you're familiar with the Randall anyway...

Old 2006-10-15, 20:41
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietime
How would it compare to the Randall RH100 I used to have? If you're familiar with the Randall anyway...

If I remember correctly the SS-140c uses the same electronics as the VH-140c. The Vh-140c was used on Effigy Of The Forgotten and maybe breeding the spawn, but I know if you want the tone off Peirced, you won't find it in those heads. The 2120 I have can get pretty closed to the peirced sound, but its a bit more defined and kind of mixed with the tone from Symbolic.

Old 2006-10-16, 01:47
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
If I remember correctly the SS-140c uses the same electronics as the VH-140c. The Vh-140c was used on Effigy Of The Forgotten and maybe breeding the spawn, but I know if you want the tone off Peirced, you won't find it in those heads. The 2120 I have can get pretty closed to the peirced sound, but its a bit more defined and kind of mixed with the tone from Symbolic.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Last edited by Zombietime : 2006-10-16 at 01:52.

Old 2006-10-16, 04:08
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietime
Alright, thanks for the info.

Here's some cds that used it.

Effigy of the Forgotten
Destroy The Opposition
Killing On Adrenaline

I'm sure you can get an awesome tone out of it.

Old 2006-10-16, 21:16
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

ampeg makes guitar amps?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-10-16, 21:48
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

used to, and they were pretty damn decent too.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Last edited by BLS : 2006-10-16 at 23:40.

Old 2006-10-16, 22:15
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
used too, and they were pretty damn decent too.

Yeah, from what I'm told the VH-140c is a really good amp for anything metal.

Old 2006-10-16, 23:17
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Yeah, from what I'm told the VH-140c is a really good amp for anything metal.

Yah that's what I hear. I'm not going to get the SS-140C, i'm going to try and get the VH-140C. May take longer but may as well get what I want.

Old 2006-10-16, 23:41
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I'm pretty sure the SS and VH have the same preamps, just different poweramps.. atleast I remember reasing something along those lines on the Harmony Central forums.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2006-10-16, 23:58
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

dude I havent seen you on here in forever!!
i have a question.
is there a major difference in tone between all tube amps and tube/ss hybrids?

Old 2006-10-17, 07:34
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

YES.

Most hybrids just have one preamp tube, hell that vox tonelab has one tube that never needs to be change, cause it's never on, it just had a led behind it.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2006-10-17, 23:09
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

im talking bass though.
most of the bass hybrids have 3 or 4 tubes, and the ones im looking at are all atleast 1000 u.s.
so
IF THE TUBE IS ACTUALLY USED does it sound like an all tube?
or do you need to have tube power also?

Old 2006-10-22, 10:41
Soeru
Post-whore

It's going to sound different, obviously more sterile and tight, and you won't be able to get all that much headroom with a SS poweramp combared to a tube one(plus it won't sound as good as a tube PA at very high volumes), but if it's got enough wattage(probably will) it won't matter much plus you're going to end up micing a cab in a live situation anyway.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-10-23, 00:03
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Most metal basses use hi wattage SS poweramps, because of the tight response.

Old 2006-10-23, 02:19
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
im talking bass though.
most of the bass hybrids have 3 or 4 tubes, and the ones im looking at are all atleast 1000 u.s.
so
IF THE TUBE IS ACTUALLY USED does it sound like an all tube?
or do you need to have tube power also?

IMO that style of hybrid is a horrible idea for guitar amps but a great idea for basse amps. Id put my M-Pulse up against any tube amp any day.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-11-04, 14:08
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

thanks guys, now I can broaden my horizons.
has anyone played that one genz benz hybrid?
its a dual channel, I think its in the 1200 dollar range, ill look up the exact model later.

Old 2006-11-05, 05:10
CaseyMAN
New Blood

Don't waste your time trying to play CC through a SS Ampeg.. Your just gonna get garbage gain with shitty fizz everywhere.. if you want that.. buy a Metalzone.

If you want a good metal tone.. for a low price.. Just buy a used 5150 or something along those lines.

Old 2006-11-05, 05:37
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMAN
Don't waste your time trying to play CC through a SS Ampeg.. Your just gonna get garbage gain with shitty fizz everywhere.. if you want that.. buy a Metalzone.

If you want a good metal tone.. for a low price.. Just buy a used 5150 or something along those lines.

Suffocation has shitty fizzy tone? Don't want another tube amp.

Old 2006-11-05, 14:12
CaseyMAN
New Blood

Did i Say that.. SS = Solid State.. ampegs tend to sound thin an loose.. not your best bet for death metal.. Sorry.

Old 2006-11-05, 18:45
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I would have to diagree with you. Dying Fetus and Misery Index as well as some other bands use solid state Ampeg heads and I would definitely not describe their sound as loose or thin sounding.

Old 2006-11-09, 12:27
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Did i Say that.. SS = Solid State.. ampegs tend to sound thin an loose.. not your best bet for death metal.. Sorry.

Maybe some of their other amps aren't good for this music but everyone and every review says the vh-140 and ss-140 are brutal metal amps.

Old 2006-11-12, 21:00
GrindingDeath
New Blood

They are fucking brutal. I play through an Ampeg Vl1002 (all tube, designed by Lee Jackson), Im assuming its a higher version of the vh140 or something. The sound is incredibly thick, and it has loads and loads of fucking gain, more gain than my friends Mesa. I know the Vh140 Suffocation and Dying Fetus use, and I think Odious Mortem (or maby it was Disgorge, one of those bands). I would say it is perfect for Technical Death Metal, If you have more cash, you could search up a Vl1002, but they are hard to find and a bit expensive, im lucky .

Old 2006-11-13, 05:00
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:

funny you should say....

the crate shockwave's preamp, aswell as the older gx130c are built around the preamp design of the vh140c. and jack owens(ex cannibal corpse) played the gx130ch for many years before switching to the bv300.

as for the metalzone comment, it's said that pat from cc has used an mt-2 with his triple recto... not too sure if it's just a recording thing or if he does it live too. aside from that, i hate metalzones...

Old 2006-11-13, 16:24
Soeru
Post-whore

Effigy of the Forgotten was recorded with this amp. THAT SAYS A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

Edit: By the way, Erik Rutan used the Ampeg Lee Jackson on all of the solos he's done on most of his records, both in Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal, as well as in Alas and all of his other guest solos in other bands.

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-11-13 at 16:28.

Old 2007-01-18, 08:07
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Well here's an update if anyone cares. I bought a Crate GX-130C from ebay for 200 bucks. It's the combo version. I heard CCorpse used these in the past and the preamp is based on the Ampeg VH140c. I hope I like it. I should based on the reviews of like minded individuals. I'm just happy to get back into the guitar thing after taking a long break.

Old 2007-01-18, 09:23
Soeru
Post-whore

It should sound pretty good, but not exactly like the Ampeg. Definately the "next best thing" to an Ampeg combo because they're hard to find these days, but Crate GX's are fuck-all common. Just hope it doesnt succumb to spontaneous channel switching though, good luck.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-01-18, 11:30
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
It should sound pretty good, but not exactly like the Ampeg. Definately the "next best thing" to an Ampeg combo because they're hard to find these days, but Crate GX's are fuck-all common. Just hope it doesnt succumb to spontaneous channel switching though, good luck.

Yah it's the best I could do with my limited income. Being married and having a shitty job does that to you. I'm happy to have a noise box again though. I have to say though, they're not as readily available on ebay as much and the ones that are are expensive. I've seen some of the heads go for like 100 - 150. I think I got a good deal on the combo. If it does mess up, I work for an electronics manufacturer so I can fix it myself or have one of the engineers look at it.

Last edited by Zombietime : 2007-01-18 at 11:34.

Old 2007-01-18, 15:30
suffo02
Metalhead

Quote:

Thats why anyone should but a sonic maximizer behind it if you want to get the beef with any amp thats not as good on its own!

Old 2007-01-18, 15:33
suffo02
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Effigy of the Forgotten was recorded with this amp. THAT SAYS A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

Edit: By the way, Erik Rutan used the Ampeg Lee Jackson on all of the solos he's done on most of his records, both in Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal, as well as in Alas and all of his other guest solos in other bands.

Didnt know that! Interesting!

Old 2007-01-18, 17:15
Soeru
Post-whore

Yeah, btw the Lee Jackson Ampegs (VL's) are tube amps not SS.

Old 2009-04-05, 08:23
cryogenics66
New Blood

ampeg problem

I have an ss 140c head and I'm having trouble w the channel switching; it's not switching from the A to the B channel. It's pissing me off! I took the thing apart and cleaned it up a bit, but it's not switching to the B channel. Anybody have a clue to what it could be? I don't want to get rid of it cause it has some great distortion and the clean channel is very good.

Old 2009-04-05, 21:21
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryogenics66
I have an ss 140c head and I'm having trouble w the channel switching; it's not switching from the A to the B channel. It's pissing me off! I took the thing apart and cleaned it up a bit, but it's not switching to the B channel. Anybody have a clue to what it could be? I don't want to get rid of it cause it has some great distortion and the clean channel is very good.

the relay either has broken connections, or is fried. Easy fix.

OR, your footswitch is broken. Again, easy fix.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-04-09, 23:06
ThongPick
New Blood

I have an ampeg ss 140c for sale. If anyone want it just pm me and i will sell through ebay with paypal. This amp have really nice tone you can do a shearch on youtube to ear it and i played it alot through a vader cabinet and its crazy.

Old 2009-05-26, 16:15
CarnalAltar
Senior Metalhead

Zombie, I'm not sure but I think that the VH-140c is a tube counterpart to the ss-140c.