MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #1  
Old 2006-10-03, 16:55
moe_blunts's Avatar
moe_blunts moe_blunts is offline
wigger/redneck/drunkard
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: austin tx
Posts: 2,234
interesting paper topics

i have to do a research paper in my "philosophy of religion" class. my problem is i don't know what to do mine on. my teacher is pretty easy going and said he will probably allow pretty much anything that falls under this particular category.

i've thought about doing "how certain fallacies have led to the jeudo-christian conception of god," which the teacher thought was a good start, but i didn't know where to go from there.

i need your help either by suggesting interesting topics or by helping me elaborate on the topic i already have.

thanks guys. try to keep the "cunt-esque" activity to a minimum in this particular thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
you don't belong here. You belong on a Paul Wall message board.


http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2006-10-03, 17:27
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
I have a paper due ion my... philosophy and morality class due on friday haha. I'd like to help, but luckily we have topics to pick from. I'm picking probably the explaining how this one guys ideas really suck and how its just more or less full of shit. I gotta write 4-5 pages though.. sux
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2006-10-03, 17:50
moe_blunts's Avatar
moe_blunts moe_blunts is offline
wigger/redneck/drunkard
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: austin tx
Posts: 2,234
mine is a 10 page research paper due at the end of the semester. i gotta get started.


tm.......which guy?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
you don't belong here. You belong on a Paul Wall message board.


http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2006-10-03, 18:01
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Which fallacies? The ones Spinoza pointed out? The ones Nietzsche pointed out? etc.

Your premise begs questions. Ask them. Answer them. Then you'll probably have a paper. A fairly unoriginal paper, sure, but a paper.

I hate that one guy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2006-10-03, 18:18
moe_blunts's Avatar
moe_blunts moe_blunts is offline
wigger/redneck/drunkard
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: austin tx
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Which fallacies? The ones Spinoza pointed out? The ones Nietzsche pointed out? etc.

Your premise begs questions. Ask them. Answer them. Then you'll probably have a paper. A fairly unoriginal paper, sure, but a paper.

I hate that one guy.



PST, care to elaborate the ones spinoza and neitzsche pointed out?


i'm also considering doing something involving "the concept of faith"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
you don't belong here. You belong on a Paul Wall message board.


http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2006-10-03, 18:22
Ten Ton Alien's Avatar
Ten Ton Alien Ten Ton Alien is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,234
do something on dinosaurs. they didn't worship God so he created man to kill them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2006-10-03, 18:35
BassBehemoth's Avatar
BassBehemoth BassBehemoth is offline
Die Young.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hellifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 8,626
Good point! Just like the Vikings...EXACTLY LIKE THE VIKINGS.


And aliens.
__________________
Bitches, Hoes And Corn Rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.


RIP moe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2006-10-03, 18:46
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Its on this guy named Singer. And his opinion on how we should all.. give our money away verybody on the globe until everybody is equal. And how this will end world hunger and famine.. blah blah blah. So highly unrealistic.. that its just a dumb idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2006-10-03, 19:08
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Peter Singer, the Animal Liberation dude? Rule of thumb: Australian philosophers tend to suck donkey dong.

Spinoza believed in an all-encompassing 'god or nature' that's basically the universe's self-sustaining life force, and thought it a contemptible and indefensible idea that god would actually be essentially a giant and omnipotent version of any given human being.

Nietzsche's critique basically places the creation of God as a byproduct of ressentiment, a frustration the inferior feel due to their comparison to the superior that leads to their subverting more natural qualities of 'good' and 'bad' and changing them to 'good' and 'evil,' making much of what was considered good (specifically excellent qualities) into evils along the way and thereby encouraging the lions to lay down to their chains. From this viewpoint, most of the people responsible for spreading Christianity disseminated a bad conscience among the strong to convince them voluntarily to be weak, using the promise of God and the divided afterlife as a carrot.

But, really, you should look this up yourself. It won't be hard to find a better parse of both viewpoints than I can give off the top of my head here. And you should really answer the first and most obvious question: Which 'certain fallacies'?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2006-10-03, 20:31
Ludd's Avatar
Ludd Ludd is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hell
Posts: 269
Just an idea, and this is one I like to point out to religious nuts of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic stripe when I run across them....

1) How exactly can you believe in prophecy (Jesus was destined to die on the cross, the end times are coming, etc., etc., etc...) and at the same time blame people for their shortcomings (so to speak) by saying that god gave you 'free will'? Determinism and Free Will can not coexist. Either you are predestined to fuck your girlfriend in the ass, or you choose to do so. (Though, I'm sure she'd have something to say about it.) It can't be both.

A couple of others:

2) How can an omnipotent and omniscient god be 'good' and still allow evil to exist? If he knows exactly what is going to happen forever and he created everything, then he is also responsible for evil and therefore, is evil himself. If that is the case, then how could a human be blamed for a 'sin' when it is god's fault in the first place?

3) If the bible is 100% true and must be taken literally, then why does it contain Unicorns, Giants, zombies, talking donkeys and dragons?

4) There's also the extremely flawed 'Pascal's Wager' which religious nuts love to throw around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager The basic idea is, 'we don't know if there is a god or not. Since there is a chance there might be a god, let's at least pretend that there is, this way he won't be pissed at us for not believing in him'. Of course this illogical idea prompts the question - what kind of god would respect a person for believing in him just to cover your ass? Especially an all knowing god?

5) Can you say 2000 years of bloodshed and horror?

6) How is it that the religion of a tribe of barbarians has managed to last thousands of years, spawning other barbarian religions?
(Deuteronomy 2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain (That Smile was unintentional, I had a : and then a ) . Ha, fuck it. It looks funny there.) http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/dt/2.html

For a good laugh, see: http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Just some ideas. Sorry for the overlong, rambling post. This happens to be a subject of great interest to me. If I can help out in any way, email me at ludd_one@yahoo.com
__________________
CompelledToLacerate because of his sweaty balls and Simpsons dissing.

Last edited by Ludd : 2006-10-03 at 20:35.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2006-10-03, 20:38
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Peter singer yep thats the guy. I need to write this paper, but i'm way too unmotivated to do anything at this moment in time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2006-10-04, 13:13
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Determinism can exist in special cases even if the norm is free will. No contradiction there if you really understand the concepts. The usual and better formulation of the same question is: If God knows everything that's going to happen because he lives in one eternal present moment with no past or future, then how can it be said that we have free will?

#6 is pretty dumb. #2 doesn't really matter if you understand the Judeo-Christian concept of God. #3's a joke when you should be serious. There would've been 2000 years of bloodshed and horror regardless. The world wouldn't be all sunshine and happiness if only Christ hadn't been listened to. You got Pascal's Wager right, though.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2006-10-04, 14:05
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
i have to do a research paper in my "philosophy of religion" class. my problem is i don't know what to do mine on. my teacher is pretty easy going and said he will probably allow pretty much anything that falls under this particular category.

i've thought about doing "how certain fallacies have led to the jeudo-christian conception of god," which the teacher thought was a good start, but i didn't know where to go from there.

i need your help either by suggesting interesting topics or by helping me elaborate on the topic i already have.

thanks guys. try to keep the "cunt-esque" activity to a minimum in this particular thread.
You can at least have a paragraph on how there have been tons of different gods in mankind's history. Like "what makes the concept of teh Islamic/christian god any more valid than zeus &friends who are categorized as MYTHology"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2006-10-04, 17:08
Ludd's Avatar
Ludd Ludd is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hell
Posts: 269
Quote:
#3's a joke when you should be serious


NO, number three is not a joke. It is true.

UNICORNS IN THE BIBLE:
Num 23:22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.
Job 39:9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib
Job 39:10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
Psa 92:10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like [the horn of] an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

GIANTS IN THE BIBLE:
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown.
Num 13:33 And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, [which come] of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
Deu 3:11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold, his bedstead [was] a bedstead of iron; [is] it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits [was] the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.
Numerous others.

Zombies in the Bible:
John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
Jhn 12:17 The people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.
Act 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?
See: Resurrection of JESUS

Talking Donkeys in the Bible:
Num 22:28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
Num 22:29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
Num 22:30 And the ass said unto Balaam, [Am] not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since [I was] thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.

Dragons in the Bible:
Isa 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that [is] in the sea.
Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

Numerous others.

Try actually reading the bible before you go around saying what is and isn't a joke.

And just how the fuck is 6 pretty dumb? Have you ever read the Old Testament? Do you know what the Israelites were doing when they were running around in the desert? They were slaughtering anyone who didn't worship their god. But again try reading the fucking bible before you form an opinion of it.
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Quote:
There would've been 2000 years of bloodshed and horror regardless. The world wouldn't be all sunshine and happiness if only Christ hadn't been listened to.


I didn't say the world would have been Mr. Roger's Neighborhood with out these barbaric religions. You are glossing over the fact that the Judeo-Christian-Islamic cult is responsible for more wars, butchery, intollerance, destruction of other cultures and flat out evil than any other force that the human race has ever been cursed with.
__________________
CompelledToLacerate because of his sweaty balls and Simpsons dissing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2006-10-04, 17:20
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
First of all, not all of those translations are entirely accurate (the unicorn in most of those quotes seems to be an ox, which would also give them more sense of them than they have now). If you're going to suggest I read the Bible, I'm going to suggest you read more than one. Secondly, neither Lazarus nor Jesus are zombies; if you know what a zombie is, you shouldn't make this mistake. Third, considering the types of big reptiles out there still, it shouldn't be surprising they spoke of 'dragons.' Who the hell knows what they were? I concede talking donkeys and giants, but my point wasn't that you were being inaccurate. My point was that your complaint was a dumb joke, and it still is.

#2 is still incredibly stupid. Are you supposed to be shaming them because Jews were violent way back when everybody was? Oooooooooh. Great thinking. You might as well ask why a bunch of barbarous people had a bunch of children that had more children, one of whom ended up being a dumb shit on an internet site.

I'm not glossing over the fact that religion has been responsible for thousands of deaths; I'm highlighting the fact that, if it hadn't been the cause, something else would have. Every barbarous act a people committed in the name of the Judeo-Christian god was matched by the ones committed when they weren't Jews, Christians, or Muslims. It's in most peoples' natures to be violent, and blaming the mask under which it was committed when the real cause is elsewhere is stupid, like pretending it was magic Nazis and not Germans responsible for everything done during WWII. Nice story, but it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2006-10-04, 17:22
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Most Christians, except for the ones that live around and in my state, recognize that the bible should nto be taken literaly and is merely a collection of parables and fables to emphasize a greater meaning. Like, in real life a tortoise would never be able to outrun a hare, but the point of that damn story is to show what happens when hardwork perseveres over laziness. ( I know that is not in the bible, but it is a fable that comes to mind so shut up.) The bible does have a bunch of stuff in it that is completely unreal and impossible, but what it does is try to tie all these stories together to the idea of being nice to everyone else and being good. Having said that, people have fucked it up pretty nicely over history, both by being stupid and taking it literaly or perverting it into something that is wrong. Its like if I took the lyrics of some death songs literaly and said "this is a confession by the singer. Listen to all this stuff he did to this poor girl! He stripped Raped and Strangled her to death!" But being a little smarter, I know it is imagery just for the sake of imagery or has a political meaning or something else that is not to be taken literaly.

EDIT- whenver "The Dragon" is mentioned in the bible, it means satan. chalk that one up to one of his dozens of aliases.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Last edited by Blood Red Bass : 2006-10-04 at 17:27.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2006-10-04, 18:46
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
I figure Ludd's talking about fundamentalists and literalists, though I don't know of any quite so extreme as the ones he's describing. There are a surprising number of shades of fundamentalism.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2006-10-04, 19:04
L,B'XXX's Avatar
L,B'XXX L,B'XXX is offline
dsnt trust ne1 < 30
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home is where the <3 is
Posts: 8,868
Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
The first thing I thought of in the context of unicorns was a goat as I've seen one that did have a single horn in the middle of it's head.
I agree that you can't base everything on one biblical translation.
__________________
My eldest son's bipolar website: www.bipolarmanifesto.com

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2006-10-04, 20:26
sixsicsix's Avatar
sixsicsix sixsicsix is offline
6 lvl 80's sucka.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 2,483
Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
I wrote a childrens book about the donner party...does that count?
Im also doing a diaramma of a few lovecraft stories
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I have no real friends, so I have to make up my own memories:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2006-10-04, 21:02
BrokenCrimson's Avatar
BrokenCrimson BrokenCrimson is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to BrokenCrimson Send a message via MSN to BrokenCrimson Send a message via Yahoo to BrokenCrimson
You can mention that most arguments put forward by the christian church they considered definite "proof" of the existence of God make sense when you hear them at first, but with some basic going over make no sense whatsoever. Such as the cosmological argument ("everything has a cause, and therefore the primal cause must be God") which fails due to the ambiguity of the word "everything" and several other factors. I don't usually have any interest in philosophy of religion, but most modern "Introduction To Logic" books and websites (formal and informal logic) use arguments for the existence of God as examples of some basic falacies. That doesn't mean that there is proof that God doesn't exist, (can't prove a negative, lack of proof of the existence of something is not proof of it's non-existence) but it definitely opens your eyes to how far some people can go to convince somewhat-logical-but-not-quite-there people that God exists.

About the many pseudonyms of Satan - Satan is a combination of many other deities that people worshiped at the time, their names hi-jacked in order to discredit them and their worshipers.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.