MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-09-29, 04:10
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Help Me! (adjust my db pedal)

I just scored this Tama Iron Cobra cheap and well... I'm new to drumming and so I don't know what I'm looking for as far as feel and how to adjust it. I see all the different adjustment points but I don't know what tightening or loosening to each will do to the feel...

Can you guys draw on my attachment in paint or whatever and re-attach on how you have your double bass pedal setup? If not, just tell me what to adjust for the different feels. The picture shows the pedal in the resting position.

I appreciate it greatly to anyone who shares their setup with me. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db_pedal.JPG (94.6 KB, 119 views)

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-09-29, 09:13
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

You've just got to take some time to mess about with it, really; there's no right and wrong as such.

I think the best thing you can do is try the extremes first, for example springs at full adjustment/minimum adjustment; then try different extreme beater angles etc. This will give you a rough idea what you DON'T like, then you just have to make minor adjustments to get it exactly as you want.

Just don't be fooled into thinking that because Drummer_A has his springs all the way up, or Drummer_Z has his beaters 1 inch away from the head that they're the definitive ways of doing things.

Everyone sing the mantra with me.. "the only way to get better and to get comfy with your playing is to put the time in behind your kit"

Repeat 50,000 times.

Old 2006-09-29, 14:36
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Cool. Any particular way to get that offset feel where it increases as you press down? I play on my bros $100 special and I can maintain double bass rhythmn fine, but this cobra feels very sloppy. I'm sure the previous owner has tweaked balls on it. That's why I made this thread... to get it back to square one or even skip that step and go straight into having the pedal "set up." Thank for the reply!

Old 2006-09-30, 03:46
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I don't quite get your question? Are you asking which adjustment points in the pedal do what? If so, I've attached my understanding of it.

Tension: Turn that circle thing I've highlighted in the diagram, push down and adjust the circle thing below it (lower them for less tension, bring them up for more). For beginers, increased tension is recomended. Most people play on medium tension. High tension means that the beaters "bounce" more and the pedals are more responcive, but it's not always a good thing. To test whether the beaters match, pull them both back with your hand the same distance away from the drum skin and count how many times they bounce. \

Beater Lenght: In most cases, not at all relevant. Those are only there so you can change beaters really, but you can adjust them so the beaters hit the middle of the bass drum exactly. I don't recomend messing with this. If you make the beaters too "short" the other end of them will poke out too far on the other side and get in the way.

Beater position: I never really adjusted it, and I'm not sure about the proper way to do it. You can be dodgy and adjust it where the spring is connected to the axis thing, or you can be a lot safer and adjust it by loosening the screw below the beater lenght adjustment point with an allen key. I don't know what that will do because I never done that to my pedals, but I'm assuming it would be the correct way to adjust the position of the beater.

As I said before, this is my understanding of it and what I figured out over the years. Don't take it as gospel truth. I'd recomend you go to a drum store under the pretence you want to buy bran new Iron Cobras and ask questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db_pedal_diagram.JPG (91.7 KB, 171 views)

Old 2006-09-30, 11:02
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

This is quite an interesting article about pedal setup. You might find it useful.

Old 2006-09-30, 22:56
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Awesome! Thanks BrokenCrimson. That's what I wanted to know. Also thanks jimmers for the link as well. I appreciate it.

Old 2006-10-01, 17:51
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

They covered it pretty much for you up above. It's what YOU think is the best and most comfortable. Just screw around with it a lot and take the time to try out as much as you can. I like my adjustment on the tension close to as hard as they will go but not QUITE all the way because like BrokenCrimson said it's not always good to have them the tightest. Also when they are tight, at first it may seem hard to do and uneven but practice with that. It will build your muscles up and then if you feel the need, turn them down just a tad and there ya go. Check to make sure all the screws and nuts are all tight. I know that on my Iron Cobra two of them always come lose and you can be playing and start feeling it get a bit sloppy and it's always the same two that come lose a bit. That's where LocTite comes in handy!
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2006-10-01, 20:43
Chrispaks
New Blood

As long as you can do paradiddles on them, you should be fine.