MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2006-10-12, 13:41
Post-whore

For 1000$(I got mine for 860€), the Engl Fireball is the most reliable high gain amp you can get new for that price, because Marshall TSL/DSLs are of poor build quality and give loads of problems. If you wanna buy your first tube amp, go for a Crate Blue Voodoo or save up for a Fireball stack, just make sure you get a good cab, even if it's only a 2x12 or 1x12 because even a good 1x12 will sound loads better/last longer/probably be LOUDER than a shitty ass Behringer/other cheap cabinet. Fuck 5150's.

And yes, good tone wont come cheap my friend.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-10-15, 00:15
New Blood

ill prolly just save for the fireball
good distortion and clean on it Soeru?

thanks for the advice
Old 2006-10-15, 06:28
Post-whore

If you can afford it, sure go for it man. But 5150's are great amps that can be had very cheap used, but it's like EMG's, most people use them so your tone wouldn't have much uniqueness. It's all in taste. If you want super raw ugly grind(think metalcore, some modern death metal) then you want a 5150. Oh yeah and you can forget about cleans with a 5150.

Engl voicing is like a cross between modern high gain amps and oldschool loose Marshall sounds, so you can really do both extremely well. It's easy to pull off good cleans if you use the appropriate pickups on the Fireball(haven't played any other models but I hear most others have even better cleans). The only drawbacks... you've got only 2 channels, and no seperate EQ, so if your music needs to switch back and forth between distortion and cleans a LOT you should reconsider getting something like a Blue Voodoo 120/150/300(much cheaper), used Marshall all-tube(preferably older models as they are built better), or saving up for a higher end Engl like a Savage 120, Powerball, etc.

I've only heard of reliability/construction issues with the Thunder 50 head. No matter how much you spend on an Engl you'll be happy with the sound, I bought my Fireball blindly without trying it(couldn't find any other reasonably priced tube amps here so I bought from abroad) and never looked back.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-10-15 at 06:32.
Old 2006-10-17, 22:01
New Blood

hmmm
Old 2006-10-18, 05:50
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATDUDE7
hmmm

THERE'S NOT MUCH THINKING TO DO BUY IT ALREADY GODDAMNIT.

Old 2006-10-19, 23:21
New Blood

thing is ive heard lots of good things bout teh crate blue voodoo
Old 2006-10-19, 23:27
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
The only drawbacks... you've got only 2 channels, and no seperate EQ, so if your music needs to switch back and forth between distortion and cleans a LOT you should reconsider getting something like a Blue Voodoo 120/150/300(much cheaper), used Marshall all-tube(preferably older models as they are built better), or saving up for a higher end Engl like a Savage 120, Powerball, etc.

You're about half right with this statement. I'll agree completely with saying a blue voodoo isn't a bad idea, and that the 120, 150 are probably cheaper than the fireball, but i can guarentee you the 300 isn't cheaper than the fireball. I know.. i have one. Unless you pick it up used, then maybe.

I'm not sure about the powerball though, (its about the same price range as the 300 bv. I'm sure its similar as in you have to crank it a lil bit to hear the money you paid for it. I could be wrong, but thats what i would imagine.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Old 2006-10-30, 22:33
New Blood

just wondering but which is better 6505+ or 5150?
Old 2006-10-31, 01:56
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via MSN to problematic
Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
sheer brutality ... music i mostly play are songs from KsE, slayer, slipknot, necrophagist, cryptopsy, trivium, chimaira, nile, cannibal corpse, machinehead, metallica etc.

SH33R BRRREWTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLITY!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

GET A KRANK.
Old 2006-11-09, 09:11
Supreme Metalhead

I have experience with both the 5150 (I own one) and a 5150 II (other guitarist owns one) and I have played on an Engl Fireball (the 60w one, is that the Fireball?)

I love my 5150, and I was very impressed by the clean and lead channels on the Engl when I tried it out, but it was very limited as to what it could do footswitching-wise, more so than a 5150.

Yes the 5150's clean channel isn't totally clean, with the Pregain on 0.5 it does ok for me, but I'm not a fussy bastard when it comes to my clean anyway.

Really does depend what you want, the 5150's lead channel is often described as 'loose', even though it's immence. Both amps have tons of gain, more than you'll ever need!

I know the Powerball has 4 channels and a higher price tag, but will you use all of those channels? Far to many knobs if you ask me!

Last edited by Deathmaster213 : 2006-11-09 at 09:15.
Old 2006-11-09, 10:32
Post-whore

TMFreak, I was obviously referring to used BV's, they're actually kind of hard to find new in stores in my experience. I only found a BV-120 at the NYC Guitar Center and it was selling for a grand, when you can get it for 600$ or less used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213

I know the Powerball has 4 channels and a higher price tag, but will you use all of those channels? Far to many knobs if you ask me!

I sure as hell would! And most players that want versatility will. Especially since I've been playing some stuff that doesn't have much crunch(ie: stuff like Therion or Motörhead) and then I want to switch to some heavier overdrive for a solo on my Fireball. Sure, I could fix this using a boost pedal, but hell I think using a different channel with different gain on the amp would sound a million times better and more "authentic".

All those knobs are just individual 4-band EQ's, Gains, and Volumes, all you really need, it's not as complicated as it looks man.

I don't know how good the cleans are on the Powerball, probably the same as on the Fireball or slightly better, but if you use a lot of cleans and not much super tight brutal crunch then you might want to try out the Ritchie Blackmore Engl.
Old 2006-11-09, 10:49
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
TMFreak, I was obviously referring to used BV's, they're actually kind of hard to find new in stores in my experience. I only found a BV-120 at the NYC Guitar Center and it was selling for a grand, when you can get it for 600$ or less used.

You're probably right, although i bought my 300 new at guitar center so..

haha. I got a pretty fair price on it.
The one downside to not buying them new or at least used by a licensed crate store is not having the full warrenty. And that can be a big issue. Although i recently found out through my 150 in the shop that in order for me to collect on the warrent it has to be sent to the factory or a service center. I guess the place around here no longer services for crate so i would have to ship it, with ME paying for it to the factory for it to get repaired.

Although the guy down the street said he'd do it for probably less than the shipping owuld be. I hope so, cause fuck paying on shipping for this.. AGAIN.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Old 2006-11-09, 11:03
Post-whore

Jesus a retubing/servicing of a 300W head must be painful in the pockets. That is what you sent it in for right?