MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-09-06, 06:46
crayadas
New Blood

Which Marshall JCM Series

ok i dont know exactly much about amps but im looking for that nice swedish melodic sound, and i was told marshall jcm series give u that but theres like a couple different ones. oh yeah and if u have other combo amps in particular that would give me that sound that would be sick thanx

Last edited by crayadas : 2006-09-06 at 06:49.

Old 2006-09-06, 09:26
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

I would say the JCM 900 would give you that sound. But dont get the combos, they have open backs, you should get a 50w head and either a 2x12 marshall cab or if you can afford it, a 4x12 marshall cab

Old 2006-09-06, 10:34
*insert name here*
Jono

You want a 2000 I think mate.

Old 2006-09-06, 14:14
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
You want a 2000 I think mate.

If i had to play out of a Marshall I'd probably pick a JCM 2000. But i have a Crate blue voodoo... and it does just nicely for melodic death metal.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-09-06, 14:26
lord_diemos
Senior Metalhead

If your after the swedish melo-death sound, a 5150 will get you there faster.

Old 2006-09-06, 14:46
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_diemos
If your after the swedish melo-death sound, a 5150 will get you there faster.

To be honest. It almost doesn't even matter, because you can make just about a decient quality sound out of all these amps. I mean i was about to say a 5150 or a mesa. It really doesn't matter. The swedish melodic death sound is less about the amps as much as the riffs, and lyrics sang over it. Also the occasional piano or strings or whatever else. I mean can you compare the amp sounds of say... At the gates and Dark tranquillity? Not in my opinion.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.

Old 2006-09-06, 16:20
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
To be honest. It almost doesn't even matter, because you can make just about a decient quality sound out of all these amps. I mean i was about to say a 5150 or a mesa. It really doesn't matter. The swedish melodic death sound is less about the amps as much as the riffs, and lyrics sang over it. Also the occasional piano or strings or whatever else. I mean can you compare the amp sounds of say... At the gates and Dark tranquillity? Not in my opinion.

I agree with him. The amp is not very important, as long as it has the basic features of most amps(distortion,clean,3 band EQ,gain, shit like that). To play in that style you must write the correct sounding riffs and harmonize them accordingly.

Old 2006-09-06, 16:43
crayadas
New Blood

alright cool suggestion u guys thanx. im in the need of one cause my bands got a show on sept. 30th ive always connect my v-amp into my friends crate it sounds ok but its too digital sounding. ill see what i can afford

Old 2006-09-06, 16:47
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayadas
alright cool suggestion u guys thanx. im in the need of one cause my bands got a show on sept. 30th ive always connect my v-amp into my friends crate it sounds ok but its too digital sounding. ill see what i can afford

Anything loud as shit. Tube would be prefered.

Old 2006-09-06, 17:03
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Or if you are not a tube guy, go with a higher wattage solid state (200+ watts) so you get more headroom and less clipping that is notorius with solid states since you have more power.

Old 2006-09-06, 18:24
Mordor
Post-whore

well i have a jcm dsl 100 head, and i find its awesome for anything metal, it has just the right amount of distortion and the more you turn it up, the more warm and clear it sounds. Try and find a 50 watt version used and i m sure you'll really like it

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2006-09-06, 18:30
Soeru
Post-whore

And if you go SS, invest in SS amps that don't blow, like anything from Tech 21/Sansamp or Ampeg.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-09-06, 18:31
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

or some of the RH or XL series Randall.

Old 2006-09-06, 22:59
arvina
Post-whore

any of the amps would do perfect. to better help you find a amp for you we need to know things like how much you want to spend, what kind of versatility do you need, and if you preffer tubes or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2006-09-06, 23:58
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvina
any of the amps would do perfect. to better help you find a amp for you we need to know things like how much you want to spend, what kind of versatility do you need, and if you preffer tubes or not.

Theres the ticket.

Old 2006-09-07, 12:26
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
well i have a jcm dsl 100 head, and i find its awesome for anything metal, it has just the right amount of distortion and the more you turn it up, the more warm and clear it sounds. Try and find a 50 watt version used and i m sure you'll really like it

I have one of those as well. Have you ever had to replace the tubes? If so, how did you know when they needed replacing? Mine will play at normal *very loud* volume for about a minute or so, but then the volume diminishes and the tone sounds like total shit. I know it has a problem, but I am wondering if this is typical of tubes shitting the bed.

Old 2006-09-07, 14:52
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

That is more than likely your tubes ''shitting the bed''. Put some JJ's in there.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2006-09-07, 17:54
Mordor
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
I have one of those as well. Have you ever had to replace the tubes? If so, how did you know when they needed replacing? Mine will play at normal *very loud* volume for about a minute or so, but then the volume diminishes and the tone sounds like total shit. I know it has a problem, but I am wondering if this is typical of tubes shitting the bed.

i havent had to replace the tubes on mine yet, but that does sound like ure poweramp tubes are crapping out on ya, i'd suggest getting some jj's for the poweramp and sovteks for the pre

Old 2006-09-08, 05:41
crayadas
New Blood

OK doods!! i was searching and i didnt find some cheap jcm's so i got a peavey 5150 and i loved the tone enough gain for my taste, but what do u guys thing about the 5150s?

Old 2006-09-08, 07:24
*insert name here*
Jono

If it had a killer clean channel, I would have kept one.

Old 2006-09-08, 18:03
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
i havent had to replace the tubes on mine yet, but that does sound like ure poweramp tubes are crapping out on ya, i'd suggest getting some jj's for the poweramp and sovteks for the pre

I keep meaning to take it to the music store and have them send it out, but I am scared that it will come back with a 300 dollar price tag.

Old 2006-09-09, 05:58
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Go to eurotubes.com. Just shoot Bob an email telling him what kind of amp you have and what kind of sound you want and he'll sort you with a fresh set of kickin JJ tubes. They are cake to install yourself and would probably run you less than $150.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-09-16, 01:35
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

Won't I have to "bias" it after?

Old 2006-09-16, 03:05
*insert name here*
Jono

Ya haw.

Old 2006-09-16, 22:04
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I wouldn't even begin to know how to do that. >

Old 2006-09-17, 05:17
*insert name here*
Jono

You can get it modded so its fixed. Otherwise, take it to a techy.

Old 2006-09-17, 22:58
Mordor
Post-whore

get a multimeter and do it yourself, it really is'nt that hard to bias an amp,

Old 2006-09-20, 12:13
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I wouldn't even know where to start. And I am too impatient to read all the technical crap regarding it. So I will probably pay lots to have it done for me.

Old 2006-09-20, 12:17
*insert name here*
Jono

Thats what I was thinking, plus, you wont die slumped over your amp via electricution.