Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory
User Name
Password

Old 2007-03-12, 18:42
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS
I am definitely not insinuating this at all. How come you think this while I am just updating your knowledge of the history of scales?
There is no opinion in facts.

I am saying that most people prefer the sound of Aeolian and Ionian, and these scales were therefore used more over the past four centuries. They are also used in present music most.
I most of the time write in Dorian (the first melody I ever wrote was in G Dorian, and it is added to the first song my band is making, which is in G Dorian almost the whole time, except for only one or two Eb notes) or in (double) harmonic minor (writing a piece for string quarter and Pianoforte/Harpsichord at the moment) and in hexatonic scale (whole-step). I will notify you when it is finished.

Please do.

I dunno, I don't believe that just because it's appealing to ear or more popular, it's correct or anything. That's why we're all on this forum, eh?
To me, the natural major and minor sound stiflingly emotive. I use them rarely and when so, carefully.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Old 2007-03-14, 04:16
Senior Metalhead

I also barely use them, I prefer to make more interesting music than the clichee of major or minor.

If I use minor, I add lots of chromatics, which makes a fifth-drop-sequence sound creepy :P.

MASKED
Old 2007-03-14, 16:49
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Well, I sometimes refer to them, but it'll be in a real odd fashion, like I might use odd arpeggios or something.

I tend to stick to the major side and to sound consonant, and the accidentals are truly accidentals, that aren't noticed until after doing tonality checks.

It was actually a trademark of Chuck Schuldiner to add in odd accidentals to add intensity. He does it a lot on 'Human' actually.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!