MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What type of guitar do you prefer?
6 string 27 31.40%
7 string 25 29.07%
Never played a 7 string 34 39.53%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-08-25, 10:22
Senior Metalhead

both

6 string - drop d/d standard
7 string - standard
Old 2006-08-25, 10:24
New Blood

I play a seven string. A few years back I joined a band who were tuning to B and since I needed to buy a new guitar anyway 7 string seemed like a more sensible option than buying a 6 string and tuning down. Also I have a woefuly small penis and the extra string helps me feel like more of a man. I prefer the 7 string anyway. If I bought a second guitar now I'd get a 6 string, but if I had no guitar I'd buy the 7 string first over the 6 string.
Old 2006-08-25, 20:32
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via MSN to problematic

Just does more with less mods, much easier.

Quite unique aswell.

Quite sexy aswell.
Old 2006-08-25, 20:58
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
7, for even tension and intonation. Everything from Cryptopsy to Steve Vai and I don't have to change tunings.
Old 2006-08-25, 23:31
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_monkey
6 string has more pick-up range

what do you mean by that?
Old 2006-08-26, 07:41
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via MSN to problematic
haha you already responded to that exact message earlier in this same thread.
Old 2006-08-26, 07:43
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
what do you mean by that?

there are more pick-ups out there for six strings like EMG for example only have 2 7-string pick-ups and has more in six string

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy
Old 2006-08-29, 12:53
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
I own 4 guitars;
-Jackson DXMG with custom paint and neck (6 string)
-Schector Damien 7 String
-Ibanez GSA60 6 string
-Fender 7 string acoustic

Its a 50/50 opinion from me. REason is that I play in shit loads of bands. One band I would use my 6 string guitars tuned to D or D flat for more smoother, tremolo picking, technical and sorta heavy break down styled songs.

Then I would use a 7 string guitar that emphasizes more on groove and brutality.

its weird, but I prefer mostly 7 string just because it gives me a high playing slower groovin' face pounding type of shit. But i really wouldnt recommend a 7 string for technical shit unless ur using the strings from low E to High E for your technical riffage and use ur B string for mostly breakdowns or power chord stuff.

its weird, i hope my screwed up english hasnt left u in confusion.
Old 2006-08-29, 13:18
Senior Metalhead

I'm going through this uncertainty myself too at the moment.

I like both 6-strings and 7-strings and I'm driving myself nuts. I think I'll end up building a custom twin neck guitar ala' Michael Angelo haha

Anyway, I was thinking about buying a 6-string and downtuning it to D, sort of half way to get the best of both worlds, so to speak. 'Cause as I see it, even though a 7-string has the extended range, you can't play certain fast riffing.

What do you guys think?
Old 2006-08-30, 11:57
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
I've never extensively sat down and played a 7 stringer, but the one brief time I did I played the intro to I Cum Blood by Cannibal Corpse, no problem. 7 stringers are strung up with 10-56, basically just like a 6 stringer, just with a low b string guage .056. So you shouldnt have trouble trem picking and stuff like that. What guage strings do you use on your 6 string guitar?
Old 2006-08-30, 12:40
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonized
'Cause as I see it, even though a 7-string has the extended range, you can't play certain fast riffing.

What do you guys think?

I don't think you hear Morbid Angel having any issues with any type of fast riffing on 7 strings.
Old 2006-08-30, 12:56
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
I don't think you hear Morbid Angel having any issues with any type of fast riffing on 7 strings.

Yeah, playing fast isnt really a problem on a 7 string. Nevermore do it perfectly. But like 6 strings, there are low models and low model 7 string would have sub-par necks that would make playing fast difficult.
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Old 2006-08-30, 17:01
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213

That's not what I meant actually. Like if you have a 7-string and you want to play a song which is written on say, a D tuning or any other tuning besides B, you'd have a problem with some fast palm muted riffing. You'd have to slide up and down really fast. Or else use a capo. I don't know if I explained myself well enough. It's hard for me to explain it like this. I'm not a good guitarist anyway so I could be wrong.

Anyway, after hearing Exhumed's "Horrific Expulsion of Gore" demo again, I think I'll forget about 6-stringers and go for a 7-string. Peace.

Last edited by Carbonized : 2006-08-30 at 17:04.
Old 2006-08-30, 17:16
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonized
That's not what I meant actually. Like if you have a 7-string and you want to play a song which is written on say, a D tuning or any other tuning besides B, you'd have a problem with some fast palm muted riffing. You'd have to slide up and down really fast. Or else use a capo. I don't know if I explained myself well enough. It's hard for me to explain it like this. I'm not a good guitarist anyway so I could be wrong.

Anyway, after hearing Exhumed's "Horrific Expulsion of Gore" demo again, I think I'll forget about 6-stringers and go for a 7-string. Peace.

It shouldn't be a problem. You could either:

A.) Transfer all the notes so it'll sound right. (ie. Instead of open low E string on a 6, just play low B on the 3rd fret, so it'll still be "D").

B.) Tune down a whole step.

Either way, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to work around stuff like that. I tune to Bb and can play Incantation songs on my 7-string alright using "A" method.

Cheers.

Old 2006-08-31, 05:50
Senior Metalhead

Nope, that's not what I was referring to, but thanks anyway for your help. It's a little awkward 'cause I can't show you what I mean and my English isn't that good to explain it either but I'll try...

So to play songs in any of these tunings (Eb, D, Db and C) on a 7-string, you'd have to slide your hand up and down very quickly to be able to play certain fast muted chord/open 'E' riffs. I would use a capo in this case.

Sorry if this still doesn't make any sense.
Old 2006-08-31, 10:52
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
Just pretend the 7 string doesnt have the 7th string for a moment. Tune the guitar to any one of your desired tunings. Then, figure out how may half-steps you detuned all the other strings. Finally, detune the 7th string that many half steps and now you have a 7 string in, lets say D tuning with a low A string.
Old 2006-09-07, 18:33
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
i've never played a 7 string..but i cannot deny that having an extra string provides more options. however i also think you can come up with endless variation without the aid of an extra string.
Old 2006-09-08, 12:39
Post-whore

I think this is as pointless as comparing a violin to a cello, or a 4 string bass to a 5 stringer. I consider 7 strings to be a different instrument... I have my Ibanez Universe UV7BK but I generally play more on my 6-string guitars, though the 7 is always great to have when looking for different sounds. I go for my 7 when I'm in the mood for slower doomy shit and virtuoso ish stuff, and of course Morbid Angel/Behemoth/Lost Soul stuff, but hit my 6-stringers for everything else.

I can't vote because it just wouldn't make sense.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-09-08, 12:46
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Just pretend the 7 string doesnt have the 7th string for a moment. Tune the guitar to any one of your desired tunings. Then, figure out how may half-steps you detuned all the other strings. Finally, detune the 7th string that many half steps and now you have a 7 string in, lets say D tuning with a low A string.

That's what I often think about when playing other band's songs on my (lefty) 7-string. I keep mine a wholetone down, so that's 6-string D or 7-string A.

One thing you can do with 7's is play 7-string chords! I managed to fit all the seven notes of a 13th chord onto it.

Code:
[0-------] [0-------] [1-------] [1-------] [1-------] [2-------] [2-------]

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Last edited by Unanything : 2006-09-08 at 12:49.
Old 2006-09-09, 14:33
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I think this is as pointless as comparing a violin to a cello, or a 4 string bass to a 5 stringer. I consider 7 strings to be a different instrument... I have my Ibanez Universe UV7BK but I generally play more on my 6-string guitars, though the 7 is always great to have when looking for different sounds. I go for my 7 when I'm in the mood for slower doomy shit and virtuoso ish stuff, and of course Morbid Angel/Behemoth/Lost Soul stuff, but hit my 6-stringers for everything else.

I can't vote because it just wouldn't make sense.

i can agree about comparing violin to cello, but not bass or guitar with simply one extra string. they are practically identical.