MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password


View Poll Results: What type of guitar do you prefer?
6 string 27 31.40%
7 string 25 29.07%
Never played a 7 string 34 39.53%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #21  
Old 2006-08-22, 22:32
metal_monkey's Avatar
metal_monkey metal_monkey is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake666
i was thinking on getting a 7 string because great death metal bands are tuned to B or Bb and I dont want to tune a 6 string two and a half or three steps down


what about all the other strings?
__________________
Quote:
Originall Posted By problematic
Im a quadraplegic.

Youve made me cry


Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2006-08-22, 22:38
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_monkey
what about all the other strings?

Ha, no one cares about those girly-ass skinny stirngs anymore.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2006-08-22, 22:41
metal_monkey's Avatar
metal_monkey metal_monkey is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,156
__________________
Quote:
Originall Posted By problematic
Im a quadraplegic.

Youve made me cry


Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2006-08-23, 00:13
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake666
i was thinking on getting a 7 string because great death metal bands are tuned to B or Bb and I dont want to tune a 6 string two and a half or three steps down


Quote:
6 string is better no question


Holy gross generalizations Batman!
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2006-08-23, 00:17
HelpMeHelpYou HelpMeHelpYou is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 771
I'd definately say 7. Hoping to pick one up finally this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 2006-08-23, 10:55
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
As of now 6, but I've never really sat down with a 7 string long so my opinion could change even though I dont think it will. I've tried a 7 string briefly once. I didn't like/wasn't used to the wider neck and the extra string. Also, there arent alot of 7 string pickups to choose from and I have yet to see one with a trem on it. Basically there arent to many options IMO with 7 strings. But overall I like the thinner neck(my hands are kinda small) of a 6 and I dont really play anything (except some Morbid Angel) that requires a 7 string.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2006-08-23, 11:00
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
As of now 6, but I've never really sat down with a 7 string long so my opinion could change even though I dont think it will. I've tried a 7 string briefly once. I didn't like/wasn't used to the wider neck and the extra string. Also, there arent alot of 7 string pickups to choose from and I have yet to see one with a trem on it. Basically there arent to many options IMO with 7 strings. But overall I like the thinner neck(my hands are kinda small) of a 6 and I dont really play anything (except some Morbid Angel) that requires a 7 string.

Uhh.....I'm almost sure that most of the high-end Ibanez 7 strings have tremelos. I think the Steve Vai signature has one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2006-08-23, 11:05
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
My bad...I guess I didn't check hard enough. But my opinion will stay the same for now...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 2006-08-23, 12:59
4d5e6f's Avatar
4d5e6f 4d5e6f is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 503
Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
My bad...I guess I didn't check hard enough. But my opinion will stay the same for now...


Yeah and they have 7 string versions of EMG-81 and EMG-85, what more could you want?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 2006-08-23, 13:03
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Guitar manufacturers know that people who buy 7 strings are most likely going to be using them in a metal/shred context. So although you don't have a wide variety of pickups to chooose from, I would have to say most of them would be built for high output.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 2006-08-23, 13:47
Heavy Jerk Heavy Jerk is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 81
Send a message via MSN to Heavy Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
7 string





what ?


Sorry, maybe i didn't say it in more understandable way...
What i've wanted to say is 6string gtr is used for a different things than 7stringer...and by that i didn't say anything new, but you know, logically speaking, 7string is better 'cause of the bigger range, you have not to tune to B or whatever on your 6string guitar, if u have 7string, so they are better, but if u have a small hands, well say "ta-ta" to 7strings anyways...i have a 6string guitar, but i hope that 1 day i will be able to afford first a better 6stringer, than to buy some 7 string Ibanez ( i think it's labelled RG1527, it's Prestige series or something).

I wish i have a opportunity to play 8stringer like Meshuggah...that's something new and interesting...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 2006-08-23, 14:33
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Yeah and they have 7 string versions of EMG-81 and EMG-85, what more could you want?


Yeah, but I'd pefer to have passive pickups instead of actives, a tonal preference is another way of saying it. I only use DiMarzio X2N as bridge pickups, which I know they have a 7 string version of that. But if Dimarzio ever comes out with a 7 string PAF Pro I will seriously consider getting 7 strings.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 2006-08-23, 16:16
k13m's Avatar
k13m k13m is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vlissingen, the Netherlands
Posts: 2,680
Send a message via MSN to k13m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Yeah, but I'd pefer to have passive pickups instead of actives, a tonal preference is another way of saying it. I only use DiMarzio X2N as bridge pickups, which I know they have a 7 string version of that. But if Dimarzio ever comes out with a 7 string PAF Pro I will seriously consider getting 7 strings.
im not sure, but i think 7 string paf pro's already exist.

also 7 strings are not ''better'' for their bigger range, its al based on personal opiniouns

also theres plenty of metal bands that play in B or Bb or even A with 6 strings

ive had the idea once, to build a 7 string, with that d-tuna thing on the G string, to change it from F# to G so u could play reagular B tuning (b e a d f# B) and regular E tuning (e a d g b e) on the same guitar

not sure if that d tuna thing even works but hell its just an idea
__________________

< no wonder hes mad!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 2006-08-23, 16:22
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
I know I saw a 7 string version of the PAF, but not PAF Pro, I'll check again later. But even if there is I'm gonna stick with my 6 strings.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 2006-08-24, 01:29
*insert name here*'s Avatar
*insert name here* *insert name here* is offline
Jono
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,761
Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_monkey
6 string has more pick-up range

negative.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 2006-08-24, 06:20
Deathmaster213 Deathmaster213 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
6, but only tried a 7 once briefly.

a related question: those of you who have a 7-string for playing in B instead of a 6 tuned down to B, do you tune the G string down to F#, or do you just shift your fretting on that string by one fret? i would think tune the string down, but just curious.

Actually, I played a 6 string in B for ages, but I always knew I'd be buying a 7 string, and my bands other guitarist played a 7 already, so I kept my G string in G rather than F# which is the "normal" way for 6 strings tuned in B.

It just meant that I wouldn't have to relearn everything on that string when I switched, and it worked.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 2006-08-24, 08:28
Heavy Jerk Heavy Jerk is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 81
Send a message via MSN to Heavy Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by *k13m *
also 7 strings are not ''better'' for their bigger range, its al based on personal opiniouns

also theres plenty of metal bands that play in B or Bb or even A with 6 strings .


But still that doesn't mean they are right. I'm not saying, for sure there are guys who played the 7string and not liked it, but IMO 7string guitar is the opportunity to expand the sound, to grow. And i'm not saying that 'cause of this or that band plays 7string so i have to play it also, i'm saying 'cause the covers of other bands doesn't bother me at all anymore. I'm just looking for axe that could help me. So yes, the bigger or wider range or whatever, plays the role for me. That's my opinion.

Last edited by Heavy Jerk : 2006-08-24 at 08:32.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 2006-08-25, 01:38
*insert name here*'s Avatar
*insert name here* *insert name here* is offline
Jono
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,761
Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
I love CROATIA.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 2006-08-25, 09:27
k13m's Avatar
k13m k13m is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vlissingen, the Netherlands
Posts: 2,680
Send a message via MSN to k13m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk
But still that doesn't mean they are right. I'm not saying, for sure there are guys who played the 7string and not liked it, but IMO 7string guitar is the opportunity to expand the sound, to grow. And i'm not saying that 'cause of this or that band plays 7string so i have to play it also, i'm saying 'cause the covers of other bands doesn't bother me at all anymore. I'm just looking for axe that could help me. So yes, the bigger or wider range or whatever, plays the role for me. That's my opinion.
euhm what has that got to do with my post??

i just pointed out that 7 strings are not better, somethign being better or worse is al based on personal opiniouns. so obviously u prefer 7 strings and thats cool

ive owned a 7 string and i liked it alot, the way the neck felt etc, i like wider neck alot.
__________________

< no wonder hes mad!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 2006-08-25, 09:32
Heavy Jerk Heavy Jerk is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 81
Send a message via MSN to Heavy Jerk
Ok...good for u.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.