MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-08-19, 19:52
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Guitar frets out of tune with each other

I'm sure most of you have gone through this already. Fix the truss rod? Re-fret the guitar? Take it to a guitar shop and get an estimate? It wasn't ever this bad, but quite a few months ago I rearranged the string lengths and heighths to my hand and the tuning seems to have gotten worse. But damnit, now that the lengths and heighths are perfect, I don't want to fuck it up!

My 24th fret is almost a half step sharp!
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-08-19, 19:57
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Intonationnnnn

Old 2006-08-19, 20:11
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Intonationnnnn
100% unless it has been like this since you got it

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-08-19, 22:54
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Ive that problem with one of my guitars for awhile now. A tech entirely set up my guitar with 13s in E tuning and it was good for a couple of months. Then, one day i decided to check the intonation again and everything was perfect except the high E string. I couldnt get it to be intonated perfectly like the other strings, the screw is already very tightly in and its still slightly off,which i can deal with, but the 23rd fret is a half step down while the 24th is 1/4 step down. I hope its just the fact that the strings are kinda old, so when I change them hopefully everything is back to normal. Maybe your strings are old, which can cause sharp fretting or most likely the intonation is off.

Old 2006-08-20, 05:37
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

If your intonation is sharp, then your saddles are too far forward. On whatever strings are sharp, adjust your saddles so they move farther back (away from the pickups). Check your 12th-24th fret notes with a tuner (preferably a good one) and repeat this process until you are properly intonated.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-08-20, 06:40
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

I had the same problem for a few months ago, then somebody here told me to change strings. I changed them and the problem was solved.

Old 2006-08-20, 07:20
rapeandruin
Post-whore

maybe i'm drunk or i'm deaf but isn't that a little anal? Shit all 3 of my guitars are not perfectly intonated and i never noticed unless i'm playing to songs...if you are playing live i think most people won't hear the difference...intonation is a fucking bitch sometimes...i was trying to intone my washburn today which is a hard-tail and it was worse than intoning my jackson which is a floyd rose...as long as it is close (i.e. 1/4 a step) to the actual tuning who gives a shit? 90% of people won't be able to tell the difference so who cares? If you are performing soon maybe it matters, but still...if you are playing in your room/house who gives a shit. I'm sure your roommates or your parents can't tell the difference. Metal is about being heavy as fuck and destroying all not worrying about some 1/4th step intonation problem...maybe that is just me...

ps. i'm drunk...
pss. i don't know how i can spell...
psss. i sound like a snake...

Old 2006-08-20, 15:26
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

^Heheheheheh

There's nothing better that playing a guitar that is perfectly intonated and perfectly tuned, I would know the difference right away if a guitar wasn't. It's not anal at all, all three of my guitars have perfect intonation.

Old 2006-08-20, 16:16
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I feel the same way. When I first started playing guitar I didnt even know what intonating was so it didnt bother me. But now that Ive intonated my guitars, an unintonated guitar is kinda annoying if its extremely off the mark.

Old 2006-08-20, 17:07
k13m
Post-whore

old stings always fuck up tuning and intonation from fret to fret.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-08-20, 17:25
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

If action if set to high and/or the strings have to much tension then the freted notes will always be off and intonation will be impossible.

The perfect guitar setup is a balancing act but new ( properly stretched )strings are the beginning.

Old 2006-08-20, 20:07
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I have to disagree with you Soul on the "too much string tension will make intonation impossible" statement. Ive had my guitar that is 25.5 scale set up with 13s in standard tuning and its been intonated perfectly until I changed tuning to B standard and then back to E standard which threw it off due to the floating bridge. All I have to do now is to set it up again, but otherwise it's never caused any problems on it's own.

Old 2006-08-20, 20:51
rapeandruin
Post-whore

i hate jackson necks...cuz the low E string floats up a bit and so when the locking goes down for the floyd rose it goes up in tuning...meaning you have to hold it down and guess where the lock wiill be...blah

Old 2006-08-21, 19:36
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Well, I'm only using .009s, the Heavy Metal Vinci strings. So intonation is fixed only with changing the length of the string? i.e., the saddles for each individual string? If that happens to actually work, it'll fuck up what I spent about a week messing with.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-08-21, 19:38
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
maybe i'm drunk or i'm deaf but isn't that a little anal? Shit all 3 of my guitars are not perfectly intonated and i never noticed unless i'm playing to songs...if you are playing live i think most people won't hear the difference...intonation is a fucking bitch sometimes...i was trying to intone my washburn today which is a hard-tail and it was worse than intoning my jackson which is a floyd rose...as long as it is close (i.e. 1/4 a step) to the actual tuning who gives a shit? 90% of people won't be able to tell the difference so who cares? If you are performing soon maybe it matters, but still...if you are playing in your room/house who gives a shit. I'm sure your roommates or your parents can't tell the difference. Metal is about being heavy as fuck and destroying all not worrying about some 1/4th step intonation problem...maybe that is just me...

ps. i'm drunk...
pss. i don't know how i can spell...
psss. i sound like a snake...

Definately not anal. An out of tune guitar makes you sound like an out of tune instrumentalist. No one wants to hear that.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-08-21, 19:54
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Well, I'm only using .009s, the Heavy Metal Vinci strings. So intonation is fixed only with changing the length of the string? i.e., the saddles for each individual string? If that happens to actually work, it'll fuck up what I spent about a week messing with.

Yup, thats the only way to fix the intonation, by moving the saddles towards or away from the bridge pickup. And yeah fixing the intonation can be bitch most, if not all of the time.

Old 2006-08-21, 20:13
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Well, I know what I'm doing today.....

This is my band's page

Old 2006-08-25, 21:45
k13m
Post-whore

so did u fix it??

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-08-25, 23:59
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Yup, thats the only way to fix the intonation, by moving the saddles towards or away from the bridge pickup. And yeah fixing the intonation can be bitch most, if not all of the time.

Yeah, lots of trial and error. Move the saddle, tune, check intonation, thendo it again til it's right. But as with most things, it's well worth the effort the first time. After that you probably won't need to adjust it much (if at all) unless you change string gauge or tuning.

Old 2006-08-26, 00:09
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
so did u fix it??

I put on new strings and moved the saddle back and forth until I found the right spot. Though now after it's been like so for a few days, the 24th fret is every so slightly flat. It probably won't matter anyway because all I do on that fret is wail with vibrato.....

This is my band's page

Old 2006-08-28, 16:33
lizardly
New Blood

You might consider installing a Floyd Rose on it. You can adjust the intonation just by fiddelin with the screws....

Manx