MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2006-08-30, 18:38
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
They are a mix of death metal and metalcore, or "deathcore" for short. I just consider them metalcore because all these subgenres with the word "core" at the end (with the exception of grindcore) are getting annoying.

Mathcore
Swedecore
Melodic Deathcore
Deathcore
Rapcore (wtf?)
blackcore
Mallcore
Moshcore
Emocore

Are these seriously considered genres or sub-genres of metal? It's getting a little out of hand I think... I should come up with my own sub-genre of metal and call it cuntcore.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-08-30, 19:11
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
Are these seriously considered genres or sub-genres of metal? It's getting a little out of hand I think... I should come up with my own sub-genre of metal and call it cuntcore.

An all-female metalcore band.......cuntcore....I can see it now..
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-08-30, 19:23
Requiem
Post-whore

way to many types of metal now days they just keep getting mroe and more ridiculous

Old 2006-08-30, 19:25
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy

Just metalcore.

There's also Progressive metalcore. Forgot to add that to the list.

Thrashcore is one.

I've even heard, not from wikipedia, but from somewhere else something called "Trashcore." anyone know?

And if we're gonna have "Cuntcore," we gotta have "Analcore."

Aaannnaalcooorre... rolls right off your tongue, don't it?

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-08-30, 22:23
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
So.....if I wave little figurines of Richard Simmons in front of you, you will react the same way a vampire would if i was holding a crucifx?

since my homophobia is so great; I think my first reaction would be sprayin' bullets all over the place to protect myself.

Old 2006-08-30, 22:24
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
An all-female metalcore band.......cuntcore....I can see it now..

Those bitches who play in CUNTcore better be hot and play naked at shows.

Old 2006-08-30, 22:46
Requiem
Post-whore

any thing with core is pretty gay

Old 2006-08-31, 00:50
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
metalcore is fucking gay Grindcore is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

Quote:

Old 2006-08-31, 01:20
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Ok people time for class.

Todays lesson, Interpretation and Initiative!

Now, many, many magazines and editors/journalists are in circulation at the moment, agreed? Now, obviously, like music or indeed people, there are reliable magazines and ezines/fanzines that can bring you the good stuff every time. But, as you know, in life there's the reverse side of every story. Many, many more magazines/ezines/fanzines/journalists are very bad. Now let's take a moment to comprehend that.

Times up! Now, with journalism, the aim of the game is to provide entertainment, capture fans to the particular magazine, get something juicy or popular for the audience to go, "Oh wow!". These types of tactics include the following:

Presentation. Presentation is always a key element. If your 'zine looks like its was fingerpainted with shit onto rice paper, the possibility is very real that you have limited your audience severely.

Structure and layout. Let's face it. If your 'zine has a format where the information is hard to access, because essentially your reader wants access to info, then no, you've limited your audience once again.

But a particular technique that has quite apparently taken to the minds of the, lets say, slightly weaker, is a term called 'Coining'. This is really one you have to look out for class, it's big, it's ugly, and its obviously effective. 'Coining' brings us to the heart of todays lesson. Now, this isn't retricted to 'zines themselves, oh no, you really have to be on your toes for this one. Bands use this technique. Zines use this technique. Hell, YOUR FRIENDS MIGHT USE THIS TECHNIQUE.

Now, the idea of "Coining a term" is to be innovative, have a bright idea that will catch on. This is fine in the early development years of a scene, such as early metal, early skateboarding etc. But more often than not, these days it is an attempt at TREND SETTING. Lets take a look.

"Dripping Fistula took the set next and captivated their audience with their own variety of 'Fuckfast-disgustingcore', and wow were they blown away." - This being an example of journalism trying to suck the audience in, make people think, "Woah I gotta hear these guys!"

"Most people have us all wrong. We aren't some lame band that can just be categorised like that, Pete. But if we were forced to pigeonhole ourselves like that... I'd have to say we were a Nu-Wave Thrash Inspired Budget Productioncore band." - An example of a band, using the coining technique, to suck in a few fans, for approximately the same reason.

"Dude check out Cephalic Carnage they play hydrogrind." - An example of your friend trying to a be a fucken know it all arsehole trend gay fag shit cunt.

So, why is this so ugly? What could possibly be so bad about it you say. I'll tell you. Coining infects the minds of people who cannot use their initiative. You're average Joe will come along, read a new term, and interpret it as the newest big thing and start using the term to describe said band/thing, when really, only average Joe and some mid life crisis journalism twat have ever used that combination of words. Here's where the better man would use his initiative, dismiss is as a pathetic attempt of being cool or with the times or trendy and go, well, sounds like "x basic genre" to me. Maybe with a little black metal thrown in for measure.

Now class time is almost up so I have some homework for you all. If you said some dumb shit like Compelledtobegay did, buy a gun and work it out.

Thanks class it's been a pleasure visiting metaltabs high and if you want more information just come to the front and take a pamphlet. Thanks!

that was really hard for me to not just go "DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE SHUTUP TRASHCORE THRASHCORE GAYCORE FUCKER DIE CUNT SHIT AHHHHHHHH" Now if people continue to fucken come in here with genre war SHIT, thus throwing it off topic, the mods are gonna fucken suspend your gay arse because this is about METALCORE. THERE IS NOTHING HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT. A THREAD ENTITLED METALCORE, FOR METALCORE. IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT GENRE BULLSHIT AND INVENT YOUR OWN GAY FUCKEN GENRES START A NEW THREAD.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:43
low-tech
Post-whore

i kinda like ridiculous genre naming as promo, being on a radio station and being asked what kind of music i play after already playing complete wacked out, sloppy shit saying something "green-wave-photon-torpedocore" or "crust/fusion/pink noise....core" ive done it myself as a joke obviously

Old 2006-08-31, 01:46
CompelledToLacerate

Well, on that note, I will say Between The Buried and Me are awesome.

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:48
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

^ Thank you.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:55
CompelledToLacerate

I'm here to please in all ways possible.

Anyways, I'm listening to BTBAM. They kind of remind me of Converge. The odd time signatures, the raw sound. Only more melodic.

Quote:

Old 2006-08-31, 01:57
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I saw Between the Buried and Me live (dragonforce was the headliner) they were the better of the two metalcore bands that night. Really technical. Songwriting was too jumpy though. I was more impressed after the first song they said their monitors werent working. They didn't mess up once from what i could tell.
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-09-01, 06:18
Cheese Co
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem

Why you are wrong... without Hardcore, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and pretty much every other post-thrash metal band wouldnt exist.

If you listen to the right kind of non-generic underground metalcore, it is really good, because it is a healthy mix of hardcore punk and metal.... but with all these well-known bands (As I Lay Dying) you get a different impression, after you see a good metalcore show you will understand what i am saying, the energy of a punk show and the brutality of metal, ending up in utterly scary mayhem.

A Video of good Metalcore... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91CjEGa-_JI the sound quality is little to none, but the pit rules.

Last edited by Cheese Co : 2006-09-01 at 06:26.

Old 2006-09-01, 10:28
Yertle4
Senior Metalhead

Umm, that video shows people are beating the shit out of each other in the pit before the song even starts...

Old 2006-09-01, 13:37
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

personally i think hating things like metalcore (in itself) is just a bandwagon. sure there are many crappy "metalcore" bands...but are there not crappy bands in EVERY genre??? there sure are. metalcore is just hardcore with more metal influence than punk. if you see anything wrong with that, then you are fucked anyway. i'm not saying i like all the bands, but there are certainly some badass ones. its just typical childish behavior to say that things you don't like, suck. plain and simple. sure i've done it..you've done it. whatever..its not a big deal. but hopefully some of you doing this, will open your eyes one day and realize you can only see the inside of your anus...prompting you to pull your head out of your ass.

its pretty pathetic that all genres of underground music can't be respected by other groups of underground music fans/bands. the reason for not being part of the mainstream scenes is the same for all these genres. the thing is...they really aren't as different from the pop shit as people would like to believe. myself included. there are all the same types of assholes in the underground as there are listening to korn and all that bullshit. theres elitists, jocks, general assholes of all types, ignorant bastards, etc. this music isn't shit if everyone is an asshole. doesn't mean everyone hold hands either, but i think you get what i'm saying.

Old 2006-09-01, 15:47
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

I agreed with the first sentance of what you just said, but I didn't read the rest.

Old 2006-09-01, 16:00
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

lazy ass

none of my bosses are here at the office today..so i'm basically just screwing around online till we get the hell out of here.

Old 2006-09-01, 16:27
Cheese Co
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle4
Umm, that video shows people are beating the shit out of each other in the pit before the song even starts...

Notice: when the song starts.... the pit grows a million times bigger, and also, they were playing an intro you just couldn't hear it.

Old 2006-09-01, 18:09
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

heres a good video...unearth at magic fest....the first song is black hearts now reign. at 2:25 some hardcore dancer guy kicks someone right in the fucking nuts!! its hilarious! once i could see and knew my boys were still in tact...i'd kill that asshole!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5muachoO6Lk

Old 2006-09-01, 18:16
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

LOL, that must have been shot a looonnggg time ago. The singer has long hair close to his chest now. That slamdancer who kicked that guy on the edge of the pit in the nuts looked like he did it intentionally. He hit him dead center. Didn't make him look like any less of an idiot though.

Old 2006-09-01, 18:19
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

the video says 2003

Old 2006-09-01, 18:23
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
the video says 2003

Whoops, didn't cathc that. 3 years ago is a long time for people who like fast music though.

Old 2006-09-02, 20:37
CompelledToLacerate

Finally found a decent video of Between the Buried and Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57MQlLRvLA

Quote:

Old 2006-09-03, 08:48
InfantryMetal
New Blood

God Forbid is a good one

Old 2006-09-05, 11:38
SpiritSlayer
New Blood

man i honestly hate grindcore its not talented at all and thats the main reason i listen to music is for awesome guitar riffs... but yeah im all about the metalcore and deathmetal yeah im in a metalcore band called KillingKaren (www.myspace.com/killingkarenmusic) but yeah i dunno i just love metalcore its wierd!...

edit:
forgot my favorite metalcore bands other than my own lol
As I Lay Dying
Dead to Fall
The Autumn Offering
Between the Buried and Me
IF HOPE DIES (good)
Zao
Walls of Jericho

Last edited by SpiritSlayer : 2006-09-05 at 11:41.

Old 2006-09-05, 12:18
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Incorrect.

Old 2006-09-05, 13:06
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSlayer
man i honestly hate grindcore its not talented at all and thats the main reason i listen to music is for awesome guitar riffs... but yeah im all about the metalcore and deathmetal yeah im in a metalcore band called KillingKaren (www.myspace.com/killingkarenmusic) but yeah i dunno i just love metalcore its wierd!...

edit:
As I Lay Dying
Dead to Fall
The Autumn Offering
IF HOPE DIES (good)
Zao
Walls of Jericho

Return to the myspace from whence you came, filthy vermin.

Old 2006-09-06, 21:34
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSlayer

edit:
As I Lay Dying
Dead to Fall
The Autumn Offering
IF HOPE DIES (good)
Zao
Walls of Jericho

I'm wondering if you went to my high school since all the metal fans there are really into metalcore.

But Walls of Jericho rules.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-08, 13:26
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vehemence
Dead to Fall

agreed, btbam, in my opinion arent real metalcore , they are just chaos! ( good chaos though!!)

Old 2006-09-08, 14:07
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

But that's what metalcore originally meant before the term was applied to the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal (KsE et al).

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2006-09-08, 15:01
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Btbam is chaos haha you are some funny guy.

Old 2006-09-08, 15:02
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

anyways, i heard some agony scene today, it sounded decent, if you can get over that horrendous snare sound and shitty kick sound.

Old 2006-09-10, 02:55
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Return to the myspace from whence you came, filthy vermin.

Quote:
Btbam is chaos haha you are some funny guy.

Hah yea, DEP is chaos. BTBAM has a bunch of cool mellow songs and their more complicated stuff is very proggy. Thats why I dont them getting lumped into the Metalcore genre.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-09-10, 03:56
CompelledToLacerate

They sort of sound like they have some Converge influence in their music, but I've only been listening to converge for only a few months so I might be talking out of ignorance here.

"Selkies: The Endless Obsession" is my favorite song on "Alaska."

Quote:

Old 2006-09-10, 09:59
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Those who like Converge should check out Minus's first album, Jesus Christ Bobby.

Old 2006-09-11, 07:30
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Explain? What are they like...

Old 2006-09-11, 07:37
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Old 2006-09-11, 07:46
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

wicked sick

Old 2006-09-11, 07:49
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Do you know Daughters? What are they like?

Old 2006-09-11, 07:54
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Not heard them, but from what I can gather they're some kind of noise/grind band.

Old 2006-09-11, 08:06
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

What about She Said Destroy?

Old 2006-09-11, 12:12
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Not heard them either.

Old 2006-09-12, 01:31
Black_Star
Senior Metalhead

New Unearth is pretty good!

Old 2006-09-12, 01:48
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star
New Unearth is pretty good!

Does it sound noticeably different than THE ONCOMING STORM?

Old 2006-09-18, 20:26
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Anyone listen to Norma Jean?Prob the best Metalcore around.Check out stuff on O God The Aftermath,new CD is a little wierd.

Old 2006-09-18, 21:51
CompelledToLacerate

I saw them live..... well, didn't actually SEE them since I was away from the stage, but I definitely heard them.

Nuh-nuh for me. Didn't feel anything.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-19, 07:56
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

I wanted to hear them for some time now.

Old 2006-09-19, 14:52
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

So anyway, I heard the following metalcore realeases:

All that Remains new one.
Unearth new one.

wellI thoguht there was more but ther isn't. anyway, all that remains was decent, with a surprising amount of blasts, like hardly any really but good for metalcore, i was mildy satisfied by that record. unearth was shit.

Old 2006-09-19, 18:44
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
So anyway, I heard the following metalcore realeases:

All that Remains new one.
Unearth new one.

wellI thoguht there was more but ther isn't. anyway, all that remains was decent, with a surprising amount of blasts, like hardly any really but good for metalcore, i was mildy satisfied by that record. unearth was shit.

All That Remains drums are pretty nice.I dont like Unearth much.

Old 2006-09-19, 19:21
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
I wanted to hear them for some time now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbQx4iuetRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S316xiCqFW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCmT0WnYzDQ

Apparently this next video was from their old days. Wow. Just, wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjg8mmVUuxw

Not my cup of cola.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-19, 21:18
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:

why do all your videos suck

Old 2006-09-19, 21:22
CompelledToLacerate

They are all Norma Jean videos. It's not my fault.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-19, 21:23
Requiem
Post-whore

Is metalcore even metal?

Old 2006-09-19, 21:27
CompelledToLacerate

YEah, because it has teh word metal in it, just as nu-metal is metal.

It's not metal. It's metalcore.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-19, 21:29
Requiem
Post-whore

well the way i figured it if metal is after the word describing it.Then its not metal

Old 2006-09-19, 21:59
CompelledToLacerate

....... so Death metal isn't metal?

I always thought if metal followed a word that isn't even a regular word and is some gay word (Nu... what is that about?) then it isn't really metal.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-20, 13:32
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

glass casket ( very good for being metal core, i would call them death core though, side project of members of btbam!)

Old 2006-09-20, 23:35
Cheese Co
Senior Metalhead

As I Lay Dying sucks and all other bands that emo sing suck, 'nuff said. Listen to real metalcore. Shattered Realm, First Blood and IRATE! All that other shit is worthless (incase you didnt know, if the singer of a metalcore band is a skinny kid with a black hoody, they suck)!

Old 2006-09-21, 00:04
CompelledToLacerate

I kind of like As I Lay Dying. Nothing special, but they're ncie to listen to. Could be worse. I could be listening to ATREYU.

Anyone else like Himsa? I've heard them a few times. They sound alright.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-21, 02:14
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
....... so Death metal isn't metal?

I always thought if metal followed a word that isn't even a regular word and is some gay word (Nu... what is that about?) then it isn't really metal.

Dude, dont be a fuck. Don't let semantics determine whether a band is metal or not. That's what yoru ears are supposed to do. I mean, really, do you see people bickering over whether or not squash is a vegetable or not?

Old 2006-09-21, 02:18
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Dude, dont be a fuck. Don't let semantics determine whether a band is metal or not. That's what yoru ears are supposed to do. I mean, really, do you see people bickering over whether or not squash is a vegetable or not?

I was just fucking around. Sorry.

And funny you should bring that whole squash vegetable thing. I encountered this group of nerds or whever arguing about if a tomato is a vegetable or fruit. just FYI.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-21, 02:30
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:

And funny you should bring that whole squash vegetable thing. I encountered this group of nerds or whever arguing about if a tomato is a vegetable or fruit. just FYI.

Sorry, I got a little ....... passionate. Ha, whoever says the tomato is a vegtable is an idiot. A fruit is any part of a plant that contains the seeds of the plant, and is therfore the reproductive part of the plant. Tomatoes caontain seeds, if you open them up and take a peek. So yeah, anytime you eat a fruit you ar eeating the pussy of a plant.

Old 2006-09-21, 16:24
CompelledToLacerate

Good to know.... I guess.

Back to Metalcore; I have found that the drummers for Bleeding Through, Between the Buried and Me, and Unearth are some of the best mainstream metalcore drummers out there. I would also include As I Lay Dying's drummer, but he doesn't sound as creative and innovative as the other drummers I've listed.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-22, 22:03
fullyautomatic
New Blood

Quote:
I kind of like As I Lay Dying. Nothing special, but they're ncie to listen to. Could be worse. I could be listening to ATREYU.

Anyone else like Himsa? I've heard them a few times. They sound alright.

Himsa kicks ass!
dude theyre sick

haha kick my ass for it but i love metalcore...
who doesnt love breakdowns??

Old 2006-09-22, 22:06
fullyautomatic
New Blood

Quote:

haha so metalcore is kind of like a tomato....

Old 2006-09-22, 22:18
CompelledToLacerate

Read back a few post about how tomato was brought up in this thread.

And no, metalcore isn't like a tomato, because I hate tomatoes.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-23, 21:33
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

I bought All That Remains-The Fall Of Ideals
Pretty.

My first choice was Cryptopsy but they didnt have it wtf.

Old 2006-09-24, 18:34
bladecatcher
New Blood

i fucking love darkest hour and i don't think lamb of god counts as metalcore.
converge is really good.

Old 2006-09-24, 18:38
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Haha, Lamb of God is one of the prime examples of Metalcore.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-09-24, 18:50
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Not the metalcore that the term was originally coined to describe.

Old 2006-09-24, 19:14
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyautomatic
who doesnt love breakdowns??

metalcore IS a breakdown... just one... long... breakdown repeated 50,000 times. and i dont love it.

on a more serious note, ive only heard about um, one "metalcore" band that i thought was alright. they were With Passion, and i only was interested due to the keyboard, and some of the guitar riffs (that actually played notes and not 3 palm muted, "heavy" chords.

Old 2006-09-24, 20:39
Requiem
Post-whore

err i cant explain how much i hate metalcore

Old 2006-09-25, 00:57
fullyautomatic
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
metalcore IS a breakdown... just one... long... breakdown repeated 50,000 times. and i dont love it.

wait... listen to As Blood Runs Black
blastbeats are not breakdowns
haha

Old 2006-09-25, 01:01
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

I dig a lot of metalcore; Killswitch Engage, Between the Buried and Me, Cave In, Botch, etc.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2006-09-25, 19:31
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
wait... listen to As Blood Runs Black
blastbeats are not breakdowns
haha

im really not surprised, or interested, when mallcore, excuse me, metalcore bands incorporate blast beats... probably as an attempt to appeal to a more traditional metal crowd. besides you know i was joking about the "one long breakdown" . but honestly, when there is a hardcore/metalcore/whatevercore commercial on tv, its features 3-5 bands astonishingly playing the same song . a 1-3, muted, powerchord breakdown with double pedal to follow the guitar strikes... sounds ridiculous.

Old 2006-09-26, 03:26
fullyautomatic
New Blood

yeah theres quite a bit of complete breakdown songs.
but there are some i like

haha Despised Icon pwn though. you cant disagree

Old 2006-09-26, 03:29
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
yeah theres quite a bit of complete breakdown songs.
but there are some i like

haha Despised Icon pwn though. you cant disagree

actually, i havnt heard them, so i can. har har har

Old 2006-09-26, 07:55
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
im really not surprised, or interested, when mallcore, excuse me, metalcore bands incorporate blast beats... probably as an attempt to appeal to a more traditional metal crowd.

This is where the confusion lies. The ORIGINAL metalcore bands - such as Dillinger Escape Plan, The Red Chord, Converge,et al - DID incorporate blast beats and grind into their sound hence the fusion of 'metal' and 'core'. These bands consisting of maiden riffs and breakdowns are not what I recognise as metalcore.

Old 2006-09-26, 12:23
CompelledToLacerate

I thought metalcore incorporated elements of hardcore punk, not grindcore.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-26, 13:25
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Metalcore is metal with elements of hardcore, not hardcore punk [difference]

Old 2006-09-26, 13:27
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
This is where the confusion lies. The ORIGINAL metalcore bands - such as Dillinger Escape Plan, The Red Chord, Converge,et al - DID incorporate blast beats and grind into their sound hence the fusion of 'metal' and 'core'. These bands consisting of maiden riffs and breakdowns are not what I recognise as metalcore.

yeah we already established this before hand man so fucken dont waste your typing skills on idiots.

Old 2006-09-26, 13:38
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
I thought metalcore incorporated elements of hardcore punk, not grindcore.

The original 1998/99 purveyors of metalcore - which I've listed about 5 times already in this thread and who are not related to what is commonly considered metalcore - fused metal, jazz, grindcore and hardcore elements into their sound.

Unearth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Lamb Of God, Caliban, et al are not metalcore and sound nothing like the original metalcore bands.

Old 2006-09-26, 14:56
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Are you differentiating hardcore from hardcore punk based on the original scene against what it's come to be now, or what? Because I don't know anybody else who claims that hardcore and hardcore punk are actually different.

Old 2006-09-26, 19:03
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

I know you people might not like it but ill post it anyway...local metalcore and hardcore....I saw the first 4 at a show yesterday...there were scene kids everywhere

http://www.myspace.com/escapingaugust August

http://www.myspace.com/secondsbeforeburning Before Burning

http://www.myspace.com/sactohoods

http://www.myspace.com/unit731pa -Unit731

youll like these guys best-not core anything

http://www.myspace.com/heartturnedcold -Angelrust

Last edited by ZRO : 2006-09-26 at 19:27.

Old 2006-09-26, 20:31
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
yeah we already established this before hand man so fucken dont waste your typing skills on idiots.

He typed that directly after what i said, and quoted me. Thats pretty ridiculous to imply that im an idiot for not knowing specific details concerning a style of music i have no interest in

Old 2006-09-26, 22:03
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

You do the same whenever keyboards or folk metal or any of your pet genres come into play, timedragon, so cut the bullshit.

And I actually wouldn't call what Mansley pointed out 'details,' unless the 'details' of a genre are actually the things that define it. Being as genres are, inherently, generic, and details are inherently specific, I doubt the former are defined by the latter. And, if you don't know the defining characteristics of a genre, it's incredible to claim that you have no interest in it; you really have no idea if you have an interest in it.

I wouldn't call you an idiot for all that, but it does suggest that Infinity's calling you that for reasons other than those you noted.

Old 2006-09-26, 23:28
PowerFace
New Blood

Haha, I got dragged to one of those hardcore shows once. It was for this band called "Born Dead," but we had to endure 4 shitty opening bands first. All four of them were terrible and sounded just like anal cunt. In fact, i think they were trying too hard to beat anal cunt for shittiness. and of course there were "hardcore" scene/punk kids everywhere with their stupid outfits covered in spikes and their dumbass haircuts. it's a good thing that my friend and i both got in for a total of $2, cause otherwise it wouldnt have been as funny.

Old 2006-09-27, 03:17
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Yeah I was cos we've already defined metalcore a thousand times and already done the history of it and all that shit in here so fucken read it and don't be ignorant? [not you PST]

Yeah with the hardcore punk thing, I'm talking bands like You're Fired and Drop dead compared to shit like Madball and fucken Hatebreed

Old 2006-09-28, 16:50
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Yeah I was cos we've already defined metalcore a thousand times and already done the history of it and all that shit in here so fucken read it and don't be ignorant? [not you PST]

Yeah with the hardcore punk thing, I'm talking bands like You're Fired and Drop dead compared to shit like Madball and fucken Hatebreed

well excuuuuuuuse me for missing when you, and whoever else, OFFICIALLY defined metalcore. fuckin ridiculous.

Old 2006-09-29, 04:26
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Incorrect.

Old 2006-10-01, 02:56
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I am watching headbangers ball and it sucks.

I can't believe the shit that passes for metal nowadays. It all sounds like emo to me and it sucks. I saw a LoG video and now i hate them. They think they are badass because because they ruin a little girls birthday party WTF???!?!?!!! Picking on kids is very un-metal. Killing them, now thats different .

Just kidding

BTW this post has relevance to the thread because everything that passes for metal is metalcore which is poopy flavored ice cream

Old 2006-10-01, 03:29
CompelledToLacerate

Most metalcore for me is just catchy and is nice to listen to when you're working, or driving in your car.

And on another note, I am in love with Converge. Can anyone suggest other metalcore bands more close to them? Would Dillinger Escape Plan be one of them?

Quote:

Old 2006-10-01, 06:04
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Dillinger are good, Botch, Norma Jean, Love Like Electrocution, Circle Takes The Square... Some Girls.

..... The locust?

anyway try some of those bands

Old 2006-10-01, 14:24
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Most metalcore for me is just catchy and is nice to listen to when you're working, or driving in your car.

And on another note, I am in love with Converge. Can anyone suggest other metalcore bands more close to them? Would Dillinger Escape Plan be one of them?

Dillinger are excellent but they aren't quite as visceral as Converge. Try the album Jesus Christ Bobby by Icelandic noiseniks Minus in addition to the recommendations from Myles.

Old 2006-10-01, 15:38
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Fuck man I look everywhere but I still can't find any minus, but, is it sooo great, that i should just order in the cd and buy it?

Old 2006-10-01, 17:11
CompelledToLacerate

Ok. Question. In Flames are pretty much known for pioneering, along with At The Gates, the whole Melodic Death Metal genre. I only have STYE, and disregarding the first song the rest sounds really metalcore. AND Dark Tranquilty, not a pioneer but another Melodic Death metal band, has gone in the more mainstream metalcore direction with their sound with the release of Character (which begins to sound really redundant after listening to it too many times). Even Opeth, although you can't really hear it as much as the other two, with their release of Ghost Reveries, am I crazy or are they too also going in the metalcore direction?

I still like them all, but if they are really doing this, and they are doing it for the sole purpose of getting noticed, they've lost some of my respect (not that it matters).

Quote:

Old 2006-10-01, 17:47
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Fuck man I look everywhere but I still can't find any minus, but, is it sooo great, that i should just order in the cd and buy it?

It is excellent stuff, Myles, but it depends how much money you have to spend each month on whether I'd definitively say go out and buy it. Do you have a hotmail account? I can send you a couple of tracks if you like - just PM me with your e-mail address.

Old 2006-10-01, 19:14
CompelledToLacerate

I'm just browsing wikipedia, and I came across a metalcore band called Heavy Heavy Low Low. Anyone know anything about them?

Quote: