Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2006-08-04, 23:14
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomitor
What do some of your favorite bassists use?

do NOT by a bass according to what your favorite player uses, it will make your decision biased and you wont get the best bass you couldve

get the spector

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Old 2006-08-05, 02:36
Post-whore

I need a new bass hand size medium-small music metal/hard shit money any where up to maybe 600
Old 2006-08-05, 14:16
Metalhead

I am interested to know some of the major tonal quality differences between active and passive. As I read the active ones have more punch, I guess due to the higher output power caused by the battery? I checked out the Ibanez yesterday and most all of them had passive pickups. I also saw some paul reed smith's, one which was even fretless that looked pretty cool. I played a few warwicks but noticed that the way it was constructed it would be almost impossible to play from around the 22nd-24th frets. It may not be that important, but why bother designing it with that many when it's practically useless unless you do some special technique. Does wood affect the tone in any way? I am looking for something as I said for metal, but would like also for it to be able to have a nice warm sound for melodies.
Old 2006-08-05, 14:18
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
do NOT by a bass according to what your favorite player uses, it will make your decision biased and you wont get the best bass you couldve

Yeah I agree, don't limit yourself. However I don't know anything, so I'm looking for all information possible and what better source than people who play them.
Old 2006-08-05, 17:12
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to epitaph
Quote:
I am interested to know some of the major tonal quality differences between active and passive. As I read the active ones have more punch, I guess due to the higher output power caused by the battery? I checked out the Ibanez yesterday and most all of them had passive pickups. I also saw some paul reed smith's, one which was even fretless that looked pretty cool. I played a few warwicks but noticed that the way it was constructed it would be almost impossible to play from around the 22nd-24th frets. It may not be that important, but why bother designing it with that many when it's practically useless unless you do some special technique. Does wood affect the tone in any way? I am looking for something as I said for metal, but would like also for it to be able to have a nice warm sound for melodies.

I cant really explain the differences between passive and active in english,
actives usually give alot more louder and punchier sound.
Depends which Ibanez you were looking at, As far as I remember most
of the middle range models have active bartolinis.
I know what you mean by impossible to play, some models have that problem, but its not only Warwick, its mostly with any manufacter. My Warwick has 26 frets + the neck goes through the body = every fret is available for use.
I've grown to like neck through basses the most, they have a more warm sound too when compared to bolt-on's (atleast I think so)
Old 2006-08-05, 18:00
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:

Ok, get ready for a bit of a read....

The first thing you need to know is the differences in construction between active and passive pickups. A pickup at its most basic is a set of magnets, either ceramic or alnico (aluminium, nickel, and cobalt) with wraps of copper wire around them. When the metal guitar or bass string above the pickups vibrates its changes the magnetic flux of the magnet and creates a voltage in the copper wire wrap around it. This voltage then passes through your pots and can be manipulated by your volume and tone controls or by an active preamp, which can introduce different frequencies into the signal before it leaves the instrument through your cable.

Now, to understand the difference between active and passive pickups you also need to understand the effect that different amounts of copper wire wrapped around the magnets has. More wraps of copper wire = higher output, fewer wraps = less output. BUT, you can only use so many wraps of copper wire before you start making the pickup extremely sensitive to outside factors (Radio frequencies, lights ect..) which will cause the pickup to be very noisy and generally unusable, plus this begins to blur the midrange. So creating the perfect balance of wraps, output, tone, and resistence to interference is very much an art. This is where active pickups come in...

Active pickups employ much much fewer wraps of copper wire, making the pickups completely noise free. But what this does is creates a very very low output, so a small preamp is built into the pickup to boost the ouput, this is what the 9 volt battery is responsible for powering. This design however is looked down upon by purists for a handful of reasons.

Passive pickups (good ones) sound natural, they let your various styles and playing nuances show through, they allow for much more control over your tone simply by changing the way you play. Active pickups, due to the internal preamp, tend to be less dynamic, meaning that they lend themselves to having a basic sound that cant really be changed through various playing techniques. This is because when you play, your signal will be boosted by the preamp in the pickup regardless of how you play. Now bear in mind, that basic sound can still be a very good tone that someone may prefer.

Another thing of course is basic tone, this is where I think active pickups have their fault. The use of more wraps of wire in passive pickups results in a natural tonal curve, typically emphasizing the lows and low mids a little more (bear in mind this is with soapbar or humbucker style bass pickups, J-bass and P-bass pickups are a completely different story). But active pickups, with their fewer wraps of wire, have a very flat tonal curve, giving equal presence to all frequencies. This sounds good at first, but then you have to realize that certain frequencies are more harsh to the human ear, (1khz-3khz range) and since the frequency response of active pickups is very flat, these frequencies will now stand out much more. This is what gives active pickups, especially cheap ones, that bright clanky sound. Now if you like that sound, thats great, but most people dont.

Another thing is how the instrument itself lends to the tone. Passive pickups (again, good ones) draw influence from the woods of the instrument, this is why high end bass companies like the ones I listed in my previous post use passive pickups, because these companies use high quality tone woods in their construction and want to take advantage of the tones these woods have.
Active pickups, especially for bass, dont really care what the instrument is made out of. An EMG bass pickup will sound the same no matter what bass you put it on, unless of course the strings are completely different, those will still always effect tone. So active pickups are great in cheap instruments that arent made of quality materials, but are a bit of a waste in higher quality instruments.

Now of course there are exceptions, Alembic makes a very natural sounding active pickup and Ibanez makes some super shitty sounding pickups. When it comes to this use the old rule "you get what you pay for".

There still are advantages to active pickups. Given that they have a very flat tonal curve, they respond well to an active preamp. With a good active preamp, you can draw a wide range of tones from active pickups. Although some people still think that doing this sounds unnatural. This is why the combo of a high quality passive pickup (Bartolini's, Villex, Seymour Duncan's) and a high quality active preamp is popular. This gives the natural tone of passive pickups with the flexibility of an active preamp.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Last edited by Valtiel : 2006-08-05 at 18:05.
Old 2006-08-08, 00:19
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to Subsonic6string
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Haha chill, I never said ANYTHING about it effecting technique or ability, just someting to consider when buying a bass, i.e. something with a slimmer neck if he has really small hands. Wouldnt want to to give someone with tiny hands a Warwick. Hand size does matter, given that you obviously play with them, their size will be something to consider.

And yes I know all about Jean Baudin and his extended range insanity. And if the dumbass was directed at me, that wasnt necessary and neither was the technique lesson. Im sorry, its just ive always been a stickler for having everything to do with an instrument, playing or otherwise as flawless as humanly possible.

hehehe...er...sorry 'bout that. Had a few too many that night, and being a 6-string bass player with quite small hands, I guess I took it a little too personally...nothing bothers me more than someone watching me at a gig, then coming up saying, "I could never play a bass like that, my hands are way too small" I usually just compare hand size with them, and watch them walk away hanging their heads in shame.

Cheers.

Old 2006-08-08, 01:40
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Haha no worries mate, I play a 6er as well, although I have freakishly long fingers. What kind of 6 do you play?

BTW, your website is awesome!
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Last edited by Valtiel : 2006-08-08 at 01:42.
Old 2006-08-08, 12:14
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to Subsonic6string
I'm playing an Ibanez SR 406 right now. Love the neck, but hate the electronics in it. Want to upgrade to some active EMG's in the near future. Also looking at a 6-string Spector that a friend is thinking of selling for DIRT cheap...if he'd only make up his mind. lol.

Cheers.

Old 2006-09-02, 22:43
Post-whore

i need help getting a bass
Old 2006-09-03, 00:10
6 lvl 80's sucka.

spector/warwick/modulus
pick one you cant go wrong

Old 2006-09-03, 00:48
Post-whore

yea a little pricey for me though
Old 2006-09-03, 06:18
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Look around the net for basses in your price range, read reviews, maybe find sound clips (its possible!), then go to your local guitar shop, and order it in, unless you come across a bass that you like in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.
Old 2006-09-03, 12:12
6 lvl 80's sucka.

cant afford warwick?
rockbass
ibanez
ltd
fender

FUCKING AVOID PEAVY

Old 2006-09-03, 12:13
Post-whore

our local guitar store doesnt have shit and they wont let you order from their catalogs
Old 2006-09-03, 12:24
6 lvl 80's sucka.

well they can go fuck themselves
find a guitar center or sam ash...or...www.musiciansfriend.com
but i really reccomend playing something before you buy it or you might end up with something like a b.c. rich plat mockingbird sitting in the corner collecting dust...wishing it was my spector.....

Old 2006-09-03, 12:26
Post-whore

thats not going to happen im not a fan of B.C. rich im thinking f maybe a Ibanez or cheapWarwick
Old 2006-09-03, 12:28
6 lvl 80's sucka.

good learn from my mistakes

Old 2006-09-03, 12:29
Post-whore

What happened you get one or something?
Old 2006-09-03, 12:31
6 lvl 80's sucka.

I ordered one 2 years ago because it looked cool, and it was decent until I played anything else. haha
then I got my spector
the end