MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2002-09-08, 23:22
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to panterafan
Metal albums which have changed your life.

Well. What are some?
Old 2002-09-09, 00:03
Lord Malphas

Darkthrone - A blaze in The Northern Sky
Bathory - Blood On Ice
Immortal - Battles In The North - Sons Of Northern Darkness
Agathodaimon - Blacken The Angel
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - Deathcrush
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Therion - Theli

and many other in a good way ...
Old 2002-09-09, 05:31
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to memnoch Send a message via AIM to memnoch Send a message via MSN to memnoch
There's only 2 albums that changed me.....and i mean they really did (musically at least).

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss. If it wasn't for these 4 fuckers and this album, i wouldn't be playing guitar right now and i'd probably hate metal.

Immolation - Close to a World Below. These 4 guys and this album basically got me into a new genre of metal. Something not as thrashy......much darker, deeper and more provocative. This album was my stepping stone from Heavy Metal into Death/Brutal Metal.

I don't know what the fuck kind of music i'd be listening to if it weren't for these 2 bands. I don't give a shit who likes them and who doesn't......these 8 guys (combined) know how to fucking play their instruments and know what it is to be metal.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.
Old 2002-09-09, 09:58
uuuuhhhhhhh

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast; started it all for me...
Old 2002-09-09, 11:05
Senior Metalhead

Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Metallica - ReLoad
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Basically....
Old 2002-09-09, 12:42
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to walpurgis Send a message via AIM to walpurgis Send a message via MSN to walpurgis
Black Sabbath - Paranoid: Got me into metal.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell: Got me into heavier shit...

Vintersorg - um...various stuff, then Till Fjalls: Made me appreciate foreigners.

Joe Satriani - Time Machine: Began my love of "guitar rock"

Tenacious D - don't know...restored my faith in bands that make asses of themselves.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.
Old 2002-09-09, 13:18
Freezer666

hmm i'd say that mostly _all_ the albums ive listened to had an impact on me...otherwise i wouldnt be listening to them
but if i have to give a more specific choice i'd go with martyr's 2 albums(hopeless hopes, warp zone)
just cause of the deep philosophy in the lyrics(have to know the bandmembers to actually fully understand though), and well because i know the members a bit and know why they wrote the songs etc etc etc etc etc
Old 2002-09-09, 15:45
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to MetalPoldi
First of all:
Europe - the final countdown
Just because of them i started listening to music esp. music with guitars.

Then several Dead Kennedys-CDs:
Esp. Jello Biafra; not for the musical stuff, but for lyrics; it showed me a view of the world i could accept.

An important CD for my bass-playing was Primus - Frizzle Fry. Les Claypool is a damn god on this instrument. And thios CD is still great.

Cradle of Filth - Midian
This CD brought me to metal. I knew about Metallica before, but that wasnīt such a hard metal to me. But CoF opened the way for more brutal stuff.
Now I have to say CoF isnīt that hard anymore.
Old 2002-09-09, 16:15
New Blood

Metallica - Justice; heard it when I was just a wee kid, couldn't believe music could be that good

Sepultura - Arise; got me a bit more into the thrashier side of things (and atonal vocalists)

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness; first proper death metal album, I guess

At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease; vocals mainly, but the swedish death metal thang kinda started there for me

Immortal - Battles in the North; after I'd stopped laughing at them, they really got me into black metal

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane; more swedish, only darker, I guess

Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times; started the medieval and acoustic stuff for me

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale; simply never heard anything like it.

All I can think of for now.
Old 2002-09-09, 18:30
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power. Let me know that someone out there was pissed off with a lyric book who wasnt just whining, plus was the only thing makin me wanna play guitar aside from my friend Colin. First solos and riffs I really got a handle on, and's never been something to bore me as a listen or to play.

Black Sabbath - Reunion. My first Sabbath CD was Paranoid, but it didnt grab me until after I listened to this live cd. Why? Cause these discs made the songs HEAVY. Plus, introduced me to the beauty of Into the Void, still one of my favorite riff songs.

Soulfly - Soulfly. First moderately heavy band I listened to, and made me appreciate Max Cavalera enough to go back and get into Sepultura. I might not like it anymore, but goddamn if it didnt lead me in the right direction.

Morbid Angel - Domination. For a long time I didnt like death metal much, but for some reason I liked this cd since I first heard it. Something about the songs on this one were good enough to attract me when I was listenin to shit, and was definitely the first of many journeys into the world of death metal.

Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets. Devastating and breathtaking. Loved the fact that I could be in the mood for damn near anything and find some of it on this, plus cute and loveable psychosexual lyrics that I always found sorta fascinating, or at least dug. Very good find at 14, and's still good now.

Anthrax - Sounds of White Noise. This is the CD that bridged thrash into the 90's for me, and I probably wouldnt like Anthrax, which is far and away one of my favorite bands, if this hadnt been the first of their CDs I had gotten. Plus it's one of the most addictive CDs I've listened to, one where whenever it's over I usually just let it play again.

Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood. The groovinest metal album ever. And that's ever. More addictive than heroin, and with as much southern groove as a skynyrd album. Maybe I'm just sayin a favorite cds, but this was the gateway drug to the rest of COC and remains the one cd whose songs I will NEVER be able to get out of my head, but're still heavy enough here and there to please the hard.
Old 2002-09-09, 19:50
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

Send a message via AIM to slayme_returns
Alrighty, here we go...

Slayer - Reign In Blood - I think it was 8th grade when I was readin an old metal magazine that had the top 10 thrash albums of all time and this was one of them. At the time I was still listenin to older Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N Roses and shit but was always obsessed with whatever was the fastest shit i could get my hands on. I saved the lunch money I had over a few days and on the way walkin home after school stopped off at the music store and bought the Reign in Blood tape. I thought it was funny 'cause the album was so short it was on both sides.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - I remember my friend lendin me this tape when I had to go on vacation with my parents when I was 14. The vacation sucked ass, but that tape made it all better, its the only one I listened to for 3 weeks. I think it was the fierce and precise riffing combined with the speed that did it. I always liked Mustaine's voice too, call me crazy.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - This one pretty much came directly after Rust In Peace. The day I got home, my best friend(who had also just come back from his vacation)came over to hang out and brought over master of puppets which he had bought while on his trip. I had this old broken down shed in the backyard, had electricity and everything which is where we hung out and listened to music. He put Puppets on and from the opening acoustic part of Battery to the insane closing of Damage Inc., I was fuckin blown away. I can still listen to that album and feel like I'm listenin to it for the first time again.

Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life - My first death metal album. Goriest lyrics I'd ever heard, coolest growl i'd ever heard and I hadn't ever really heard a growl before. This opened up a whole new genre for me, and no matter what anyone says Chris Barnes is a god damn death metal vocal pioneer and every other new fucking copycat lame death metal vocalist should suck his fuckin dick.

Morbid Angel - Domination - I'd had Covenant for awhile and loved it but Domination was the fuckin last bit of proof i needed that Morbid Angel were fucking death metal gods. One of the best death metal albums ever. David Vincent is a vocal legend, too bad he's gone and people trash him so much now.

Napalm Death - Utopia Banished - first Napalm I'd ever heard, bought it loved and bought every one since. Bought Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration shortly after as well, interesting stuff but overall a waste of time. All you old NDer's, shoot me an email sometime and explain to me the big fucking deal with ND's early work, I'd like to hear it. Lee Dorian can go suck a fuck too. Hail Barney and the rest of Napalm.

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise - I had Among the Living and Attack of the Killer B's before picking this one up and both of them fucking rule. SOWN was just the turning point for the band, and it didn't hit me actually until this year. I was never a huge fan of the more recent Anthrax until I went back and listened to this album again.
Old 2002-09-09, 21:23
Post-whore

megadeth- youthanasia (started it all)
offspring- smash
Theatre of Tragedy- assembly, aegis, musique
type o negative- october rust
anathema- judgement
dream theater- metropolis part 2

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head
Old 2002-09-10, 04:36
Metalhead

metallica's "master of puppets" was the first metal tape i bought. theatre of tragedy with their self-titled debut introduced me to harsher metal and growls. and then came katatonia's "dance of december souls".
to run away from evil...
Old 2002-09-10, 05:20
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to memnoch Send a message via AIM to memnoch Send a message via MSN to memnoch
Another i forgot to mention.......i'm actually very surprised and a little disappointed that his band hasn't been mentionned yet:

Death - The Sound of Perseverance.

Why the last album? Well.....i had heard earlier Death before....i owned (and still do) Human and Scream Bloody Gore....but nothing striked me from those albums. But when i heard The Sound of Perseverance........i couldn't stop listening to it. I seriously listened to this album and nothing else for about a month non-stop. I couldn't get over such beautiful harmony like in "Voice of the Soul", or just kick ass long songs like "Flesh and the Power It Holds", or "Story To Tell".....this album opened up the technical/harmonized/beautiful side of metal, not just the usual palm-muted low tuned chords. Death has to be one of the pioneering bands for most of the heavier, death/technical shit that's out there today.

Chuck will forever be one of the few guitar players i consider a hero.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.
Old 2002-09-10, 06:09
morbid_death

Opeth - Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life, and Blackwater Park

Psi. Kore - Self titled EP

Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising

Devolved - Technologies

for all having HUGE impact on my guitar playing.
Old 2002-09-10, 11:00
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Metallica - Load got me into hard rockin' stuff
metallica - master of puppets got me into metal
Pantera - Cowboy's from hell, got me into pantera, and had me happen upon an old site called atmetal.com/pantera
Old 2002-09-10, 11:33
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

before i listened to metal i was a van halen,
black sabbath, led zeppelin fanatic.
the first metal album i bought was chaos a.d., sepultura
which was my jump start to metal.
then i went to rob zombie(metal?), and then
old mans child, then kalmah, and some other stuff
along the way, like iron maiden, helloween, ozzy,
dio, guns n roses, metallica's black album, and there's some more,
but i can't remember that long ago.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2002-09-10, 16:55
Metalhead

Opeth - Morningrise
Old 2002-09-13, 14:48
Senior Metalhead

Death is just the begining 3 comp: This double cd comp opened me up to a world of music that I never knew existed.

Hypocrisy- The Fourth Dimension: I loved the somber depressing atmosphere it had. I listened to that album for about 6 months straight until I lost it.

Cradle of Filth- The Principle of Evil Made Flesh: This album really changed my life. Got me into more extreme forms of metal and made me want to paint my face up all the time. Damn you Black Metal!

At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul: All I can say is WOW! I never heard guitar playing like this.This album is responsible for me playing guitar and my love for that melodic death metal sound. All hail Sweeden!

Carcass- Heartwork: Heard these guys on Beavis and Butthead. This album is still among my favorites. Bill Steer is god.

Im sure there are more but my mind just went blank.

Later,
Blizzard Beast
Old 2002-09-14, 07:28
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
Pantera- Cowboys fron hell, made me a metal and pantera lover. Got it when i was twelve.

RATM-RATM, made me consider that not all the metal is screaming people