MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-07-07, 00:45
pukeblood41
New Blood

Am I killing my throat?

So i've just switched from a yelling deep voice to a Haste The Day kind of vocal style (www.purevolume.com/hastetheday to see what i'm talking about it if you don't know the band) Things have been going great except for my tonsils have swollen up(which i think is normal and i'll deal with it) but ive noticed small tears in the skin by my tonsils, is this something bad or just "breaking in" my new voice. Any comments or suggestions would b great.

Old 2006-07-07, 02:20
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Well if your tonsils are swelling that means they are getting irritated. And take it from me, the last thing you want is to have is tonsil problems. They can actually swell big enough to the point where they will obstruct your breathing, plus if they get infected which is sounds like they might be starting to, it gives you really bad breath. I would recommend you stop whatever it is thats causing this because sometimes once tonsils get infected they have a hard time recovering and can easily become infected again.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-07, 03:46
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

Is there anything wrong with getting the tonsils removed? ;o

Old 2006-07-07, 04:37
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Not at all, doctors only remove them if its completely necessary but its been proven that the human immune system doesnt suffer from losing your tonsils. It might be tricky to get a doctor to have your tonsils removed though unless there is something really really wrong, cause if he/she finds out its just because of singing they'll just send you home and tell you to stop singing.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-19, 14:07
CAPCOPSNOW
New Blood

i suggest using a less harsh version of listerine i had a similar problem and normal listerine actually hurt me more

Old 2006-07-20, 16:07
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

The change to a raspy growl like HTD is NOT easy.
That sort of singing is harder on your throat when you start.

Awesome.

Old 2006-08-09, 10:00
Imabadass666
New Blood

well i had my tonsels removed when i was young but i got my voice to sound like haste the day easily but sometimes if i do this certain position it makes this wierd high/low mix singing that ive never heard before i think its from destroying my throat with weed cigarrettes and alchohole but it does help you sing a little but not much.
if i were u id purposely get my tonsels infected and go get them removed haha just like eat something or drink something thatll infect it