MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2006-06-25, 22:43
Die Young.

Umm....a HUGE INFLUENCE on the entire metal genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2006-06-25, 22:47
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, that's right...but I mean musically.I don't even know why, I think it's a mental block.I hated them as a kid because they were not heavy enough...and it looks like it stayed in my mind.
Old 2006-06-25, 23:11
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Yeah, you can't love a band for their influence. Unless you do. Which would be gay.

There are a lot of really disappointing bands by Jim's first criteria (you know you should like them, but definitely don't). I'm not really sure what I could do to single one out. Even the ones who immediately come to mind (Queensryche, Opeth, Insomnium, Today is the Day, some others) are what I would consider to be above average at the very least. Just not as good as they keep sounding in my head.

But in terms of shitting the bed after a promising opener, very few bands can top Comus. Black Label Society would be in the running, but, even so, they've never done anything nearly so big as a letdown from Sonic Brew as To Keep From Crying is from First Utterance. In fact, nobody I can think of has. If anybody knows both CDs, I will both be surprised and expecting you to agree with me whole-heartedly.

Oh, and while I appreciate that it's either ironic or hypocritical that I like Comus, a band who, despite its obvious influence on Opeth (i.e. 'my arms, your hearse), seems to be a perfect progenitor for both black and folk metal, neither of which I like, I also don't care. And I like T-Rex and Zeppelin, both of whom laid the way for a grown man to take the name of an obscure Tolkien villain or revel in a bullshit Viking fantasy. Influence, in my book, is not to be blamed on the people who ruled so much that idiots copied them.

Last edited by PST 88 : 2006-06-25 at 23:14.
Old 2006-06-25, 23:29
Post-whore

(Old) Carcass...I fucking tried. Melodic Carcass just sucks and I hate them for that.

Old Lady Drivers. I love all of the members other projects, but I just can't get into O.L.D.

More when I think for a while.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."
Old 2006-06-26, 00:03
wigger/redneck/drunkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
But in terms of shitting the bed after a promising opener, very few bands can top Comus. Black Label Society would be in the running, but, even so, they've never done anything nearly so big as a letdown from Sonic Brew as To Keep From Crying is from First Utterance. In fact, nobody I can think of has. If anybody knows both CDs, I will both be surprised and expecting you to agree with me whole-heartedly.

Oh, and while I appreciate that it's either ironic or hypocritical that I like Comus, a band who, despite its obvious influence on Opeth (i.e. 'my arms, your hearse), seems to be a perfect progenitor for both black and folk metal, neither of which I like, I also don't care. And I like T-Rex and Zeppelin, both of whom laid the way for a grown man to take the name of an obscure Tolkien villain or revel in a bullshit Viking fantasy. Influence, in my book, is not to be blamed on the people who ruled so much that idiots copied them.

i love comus. and you can totally hear their influence in Opeth, through both their lyrics and acoustic guitars. SEE BAYING OF THE HOUNDS & MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE CD. i love the line "as i carry you to your grave, my arms your hearse" so much, and it gives me chill bumps every time because, unlike PST, I am infatuated with Opeth and have nothing but respect for these fine musicians. I like both cds, but i agree, First Utterance is by far the better of the 2.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Old 2006-06-26, 00:42
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBored
Carcass
I think its just Ive heard too many carcass rip offs before ever listening to carcass.

Not just that, just the fact that Heartwork may have been the most painful thing I've ever sat through in the "metal" genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Filth
Ummm The Locust?

*shakes head*

And whether you like them or not, Iron Maiden's impact on metal is unmeasurable.

Awesome.
Old 2006-06-26, 01:06
Senior Metalhead

I got really turned off Opeth around Deliverance/Damnation. They used to be my favourite band, now I never listen to them at all.

The most disappointing cd I've perchased in a while is Coprofago's Unorthodox Creative Criteria. I really enjoy progressive tech death but If I wanted to listen to fucking Joe Satriani, I'd buy his fucking cd. Somehow this boring, weak-as-piss, pile of shit got nominated for the best death metal cd of 2005

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns
Old 2006-06-26, 01:32
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Not just that, just the fact that Heartwork may have been the most painful thing I've ever sat through in the "metal" genre.

It's the biggest piece of shit ever.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."
Old 2006-06-26, 01:43
Quantum.

I may add on... Breaking Benjamin's (yes, yes not metal, but in the spirit of the thread) song "So cold" is simply great; it was one of the first full songs I learned to both play and sing at the same time... and then I went and listened through a dozen other of their songs and it simply wasn't even near So cold. Just a lot of stuff that I don't know what to call.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2006-06-26, 02:38
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to travI56669
That's a good song especially for radio rock stuff....

And how can you guys not like Pantera? Don't bother answering this I'm just bitching, I'm fucking baffled actually!
Old 2006-06-26, 03:08
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
the olden domain is the shit my friend. do you like arcturus or ulver?? same dude. very talented. i'd give my left nut to be able to sing like garm.

It's not the singing so much as the song structure and that sort of nature over everything feeling. I can dig it for a while, but after a while, I just fall asleep. The singer's excellent though, love that soaring sound.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind
Old 2006-06-26, 03:28
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
Today is the Day is also up there. I like what they have released but there is this strange line they just can't seem to cross. The Crown also had massive potential, but only showed it on Crowned in Terror. Everything else they put out can be pretty boring in its entirety. Leng Tch'e I love, but while the vocals annoy me on Man Made Predetor and the music is amazing, the vocals rule yet the music bores me on The Process of Elimination
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey

Last edited by Darko : 2006-06-26 at 06:26.
Old 2006-06-26, 03:44
Supreme Metalhead

Dragonforce
Old 2006-06-26, 03:45
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to walpurgis Send a message via AIM to walpurgis Send a message via MSN to walpurgis
I'm glad I'm not the only person around here that can't stand Iron Maiden...
Dream Theater. Too overhyped. Saw them in concert. Only like about four songs.
Cryptopsy...disappointing...was really thinking I'd enjoy them. I'd prefer my 20 bucks back that I spent on two of their cds.
Post FtR Children of Bodom. Just crap.
Early Slayer. The stuff they feel is good enough for Decade of Aggression and their live performances I tend to like, but all of the rest of it I'd rather not hear. I'm one of the minority, but by "early" I refer to every album before Diabolus, since Diabolus and GHUA are the only two that I'll listen to start to finish.
In the Beginning by Nile was kinda disappointing... guess I got spoiled on AotW.
Disappointed with Kill by CC, mostly because of the lack of Owen songs. They're repetitive and easy compared to the ones written by Pat and Alex, but I tend to like them more.
Metallica. St Anger. There's no reason for me to elaborate.
Pantera: Reinventing the Steel. Decent songs, but far below what I expected from them, especially considering the four year break in between albums. I can't get enough of Pantera, but I hardly ever listen to this album.
Morbid Angel: Heretic. There are what, 5 actual songs on there?

Most of the bands I've listed are among my favorite bands. I wouldn't really say so much that in these cases I'm disappointed with the bands (except Cryptopsy and Iron Maiden) as much as I'm just disappointed with a direction they went or album they released.

I'd have to say that I probably wouldn't be disappointed with most bands that I don't like and don't expect to like, I'd just think they're crap and move on. The ones I already like or really figured I would enjoy are the ones that come up with disappointing stuff. Jesus fuck this was a long post...

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.
Old 2006-06-26, 05:06
Life is pain.
Banned

Korn were really heavy and vocals rules on first 3 albums after that you can start to forget. I think i'm disapointed with them and like also Converge.
Old 2006-06-26, 05:11
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
I can see why Today Is The Day get quite a few mentions here. Some of the songs are great but others make me think why on Earth am I listening to this.

Iron Maiden is a strange band for me: I couldn't get in to them for years and years but suddenly, around last Christmas time, it all clicked into place.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2006-06-26, 11:37
Senior Metalhead

I think Iron Maiden is boring now. The old stuff was great. I've tried listening to the new stuff and it sounds like a bunch of thier old songs. It feels and sounds uninspired.

Carcass - Heartwork: You guys are crazy.
That album rocks hard. I can't get bored of that one.

WASP can blow goat cock. They suck.

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000
Old 2006-06-26, 11:55
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBored
Let me begin:

Death
I have listened to Scream, Leprosy, Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance.

So quite a bit of it then. Scream... and Leprosy I liked for a while, though Ive grown out of em a bit.
The rest, aside from symbolic which I listened to for about a week, were wholly disappointing affairs. Its a shame, because I thought id like Death as a whole, but the whole thing and general style of his writing just doesnt mix with me. I acknowledge the talent though.

Autopsy
Just pretty shit. I listened to the Severed Survival album which put me off them for life. Maybe ill give it another go, but at the time it was disappointing

Possessed
Apparently "you cant like death metal without liking possessed". Thats absolute bullshit. Though they have some good songs, so not totally depressing.

Disgorge (USA)
Now, Ive grown to like these more than I did when I first listened to them so all disgorge lovers, back down.
But when I first listened I was like, what the fuck. its all a blur, but in the bad sense.
Still disappointing, people love this band and I thought I would too, but I dont think I ever will.

Carcass
I think its just Ive heard too many carcass rip offs before ever listening to carcass.

I know this isnt really answering which is the biggest disappointment (Death) but its just all these bands I found pretty disappointing considering their status.

Well, it don't surprises me. you listen to Rhapsody and Dragonforce. FAG!

most shitty ass band ever: Dissection.

Last edited by obrien20 : 2006-06-26 at 12:50.
Old 2006-06-26, 12:58
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to HELLBLASTER-666
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrien20
most shitty ass band ever: Dissection.

How untrue and ungrim!

Old 2006-06-26, 13:04
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

You can't play 80's music in 2006 any more than you could have played music from now back then. I don't find it a real 'disappointment' that Maiden no longer produce music of the same quality they did a quarter of a century ago, though; there are only a handful of bands that can manage more than a decade of top quality. Two decades is more uncommon still. Pushing into a third decade is more rare than an Idaho patriarch's steak.

If Dissection are so shitty, I doubt they're particularly disappointing to you in some way. Unless it's disappointment with the human race for having produced garbage and recorded it to disc. Try another one.