MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 2006-07-12, 13:43
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist... audioslave is a great band but rage against the machine sucks...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 2006-07-13, 02:41
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindi
tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist...


You are wrong on so many levels I'm not even going to spend the 10 minutes that this needs in order to rebuke your comment.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 2006-07-13, 05:34
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
rebuke me...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 2006-07-13, 05:57
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
His innovation alone makes him a great guitarist - he sees his guitar as a completely different instrument to the vast majority of other guitarists. Can you make the sounds that he does and with the control that he exhibits? No. I don't no anybody who can even imitate his style, never mind trump it. He isn't just some grunge kid hitting his guitar randomly with a coke can, he placed thought into what he was doing.

Even when Morello adopts a more standard approach to playing he can still blow most guitarists out of the water. Listen to a couple of his solos off RATM's self-titled opus: his playing is fast, crisp, fluid, technically competent and, more importantly, interesting.

Morello is a truly unique guitarist and probably the greatest to emerge from the early-to-mid 90s "grunge" scene. If you can't see that then your appreciation of what constitutes a good guitarist is seriously in need of a re-think. Regardless of how you perceive his bands, there's no doubting that Morello's playing transcends subjectivity.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 2006-07-13, 10:25
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
damn... i know all the ratm stuff, but i dont like it... i love it, when he does his minimalist playing with audioslave... sorry mr. wise guy, but i donīt like it... for me almost everything sounded the same...

fuck, i cant describe the thing, because my english is bad... i mean, you shouldnt take everything to serious... okay, he is a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist, but i hate his wah wah action all the time... sounded so fucking gay...

and i really donīt need to re-think... kill me because i dont like ratm...
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 2006-07-13, 15:30
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindi
damn... i know all the ratm stuff, but i dont like it... i love it, when he does his minimalist playing with audioslave... sorry mr. wise guy, but i donīt like it... for me almost everything sounded the same...

fuck, i cant describe the thing, because my english is bad... i mean, you shouldnt take everything to serious... okay, he is a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist, but i hate his wah wah action all the time... sounded so fucking gay...

and i really donīt need to re-think... kill me because i dont like ratm...


My argument wasn't based on you liking Rage Against The Machine. I shouldn't have to explain that since it is explicitly stated within my post. RATM are far from my favourite band, in fact they're pretty low on my list, but to dismiss Morello's abilities as nothing more than the utilisation of guitar effects is sheer folly.

You even admit that Morello is very good and revolutionary, but you dislike his playing because wah-wah sounds "gay". Way to appreciate a musician's talents. Trey Azagthoth overuses wah-wah at times and some of his solos grate, but I'm not going to dismiss his ability as a soloist on these grounds when he also produces moments of genius; to do so would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 2006-07-13, 15:46
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
and i say it again... you shouldnt take everything to serious...

i didnīt understand half of your post..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 2006-07-13, 16:05
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Serious? That ain't serious, kid. That's called arguing - and justifying my viewpoint - without resorting to insults or letting subjectivity get in the way.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 2006-07-13, 17:14
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
damn... i dont understand... and dont call me kid...
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 2006-07-13, 18:08
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
ROFL, then quit arguing. Dismissing a well thought out counter point with "it sounds fucking gay" proves that you are either 15, or an idiot.

I personally dont care for Tom Morello but I can recognize originality when I hear it. And I agree that he has some really slick playing on RATM's self titled album.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 2006-07-14, 01:22
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
i did quit arguing... and damn... i admit that he is "a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist" and that he should take my post not to serious... what do want? that i fall on my knees and kiss him his feet? idiots... both...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 2006-07-14, 02:44
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Not at all. I merely refuted your statement, and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 2006-07-14, 03:29
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindi
i did quit arguing... and damn... i admit that he is "a very good and maybe revolutionary guitarist" and that he should take my post not to serious... what do want? that i fall on my knees and kiss him his feet? idiots... both...


I just because of the way you worded your original statement. You stated that without effects, Tom Morello is just an average guitarist. It wouldnt be an issue if said this was your opinion, but to say it as if its a fact is bound to get you flamed.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 2006-07-28, 01:13
Scythes of Bodom's Avatar
Scythes of Bodom Scythes of Bodom is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Hendrix. Vaugn, Vai, Satriani
__________________
One minute you're an angel fallen from grace,
Next, the fears that I hate,
Pick me up from the gutter with a gentle kiss,
Then rip from my heart to show me, how black it is!

-Angels Don't Kill- Children of Bodom
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 2006-07-28, 01:30
DeathCS's Avatar
DeathCS DeathCS is offline
Wasted Custom User title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis.
Posts: 5,002
Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindi
tom morello without his wah wah effects, would be a average guitarist... audioslave is a great band but rage against the machine sucks...

have you heard him without his wahs? he's more than an average guitarist.
his effects make him unique. he can make any sound with his guitar, practically.
and audioslave sucks, rage against the machine is much much better.
__________________
This is my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 2006-07-28, 02:48
grindi grindi is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 37
have you read the rest of the posts? goddamnit... shut up...
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 2006-07-28, 03:47
metal_monkey's Avatar
metal_monkey metal_monkey is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,156
also the fact that he taught himself is another great achievement
__________________
Quote:
Originall Posted By problematic
Im a quadraplegic.

Youve made me cry


Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 2006-07-28, 20:21
Blood Red Bass's Avatar
Blood Red Bass Blood Red Bass is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
I agree with all of the postive things said about Morello. It was very impressive to see how he used the instrument in many unconventional ways. I also think that Rge Against the Machine was the ONLY band that could bring the rap/rock genre to a respectable and enjoyable level. And is Jimmy Page considered a metal guitarist? I'm not being sarcastic cause most people don't consider Zepplin to be metal and I felt the list was sorely lacking without him on it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiįmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 2006-07-28, 22:50
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
And is Jimmy Page considered a metal guitarist? I'm not being sarcastic cause most people don't consider Zepplin to be metal and I felt the list was sorely lacking without him on it.


I think he was mentioned in at least one post... As far as Zeppelin being metal... in their day, they were. By today's standards they are more hard rock than metal.

My favorite non-metal guitarists? Hmmm....
Mr. Page
Stevie Ray
Richie Blackmore (also could be considered metal)
Robert Johnson

Plenty more...way to many to list
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 2006-07-30, 11:11
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Zeppelin have never been considered metal.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:38.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.