MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
  #41  
Old 2007-01-18, 22:00
sixsicsix's Avatar
sixsicsix sixsicsix is offline
6 lvl 80's sucka.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 2,483
Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
well, here Ill leave you with a sort of half assed quiz
A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#
thats the musical alphabet, your welcome.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I have no real friends, so I have to make up my own memories:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2007-01-26, 13:57
belphegor79 belphegor79 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sault, MI
Posts: 856
Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Bastard
What about a list of all of the tunings and thier coresponding notes for each string? Like we all know that E tuning is:
E A D G B e,

Eb is obviously
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb,

And i personally like C# tuning, which is
C# F# B E G# C#,

could someone fill in the rest of the tunings (D, C, Bb, Ab, etc.) for me?

I don't understand the necessity of this. If you have a guitar tuned to a certain note, it shouldn't be any trouble to figure out what the rest of the strings are.
__________________
"I think we're already 'circling the drain' as a species, and I'd love to see the circles get a little faster and a little shorter."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2007-01-26, 14:16
4d5e6f's Avatar
4d5e6f 4d5e6f is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 503
Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
0 steps down E A D G B e
0.5 steps D# G# C# F# A# D#
1 step D G C F A D
1.5 steps C# F# B E G# C#
2 steps C F A# D# G C
2.5 steps B E A D F# B
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 2007-01-29, 12:10
Fat Bastard Fat Bastard is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waw Giwulk, Arizona
Posts: 21
Send a message via MSN to Fat Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
well, here Ill leave you with a sort of half assed quiz
A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#
thats the musical alphabet, your welcome.


I thought A# was Bb, and D# was Eb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
0 steps down E A D G B e
0.5 steps D# G# C# F# A# D#
1 step D G C F A D
1.5 steps C# F# B E G# C#
2 steps C F A# D# G C
2.5 steps B E A D F# B


What about Bb (A#) and A tuning?
__________________
You ever take a dump so big your pants fit a little bit better? I'm hoping that'll happen to me later.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 2007-01-29, 12:18
Fat Bastard Fat Bastard is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waw Giwulk, Arizona
Posts: 21
Send a message via MSN to Fat Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolfe
how would u tune [C#,F#,B,e,g#,c#] with a standard tuner?


If you have one of those inexpensive Korg GA 20 or 30 tuners, just press "Flat" three times. or you can try to tune by ear, Its just 1.5 steps lower from standard.
__________________
You ever take a dump so big your pants fit a little bit better? I'm hoping that'll happen to me later.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 2007-01-29, 14:59
TangledMortalCoil's Avatar
TangledMortalCoil TangledMortalCoil is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVA
Posts: 300
I'm bored at work, so I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible.

TUNING DOWN, HOWEVER MANY STEPS:
From the standard tuning of EADGBe, all you have to do is pretend you are moving one more "imaginary" fret to the left for each half-step down. A half-step is one fret, a full-step is two frets.. and that's all! But, since the fretboard does not have these "imaginary" frets because there is a nut and then a headstock at the beginning, you have to tune each string down to accomplish this instead. For example, to tune your heavy E string down a full step, you are making it the equivalent of two imaginary frets lower, or D. Also, this may not be obvious to all beginners, but remember that tuning down means tuning ALL of the strings down, and usually in the same proportion (same number of steps for each string). Yes there are exceptions, the most common being drop-tuning (millions of descriptions of drop-tuning out there, search).

P.S.> You need a *chromatic* tuner! A typical tuner will not recognize alternate tuning (you can trick it, but not worth the effort)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2007-01-30, 07:47
Phlack Phlack is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EastCoast Sweden
Posts: 49
Send a message via MSN to Phlack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Bastard
I thought A# was Bb, and D# was Eb?


That depends if itīs raised or lowered.
In C minor (for example) the third is lowered so it would be Eb, but if you had a D and raised it (as in A lydian) it would be D#.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 2007-02-12, 14:44
Fat Bastard Fat Bastard is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waw Giwulk, Arizona
Posts: 21
Send a message via MSN to Fat Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
I'm bored at work, so I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible.

TUNING DOWN, HOWEVER MANY STEPS:
From the standard tuning of EADGBe, all you have to do is pretend you are moving one more "imaginary" fret to the left for each half-step down. A half-step is one fret, a full-step is two frets.. and that's all! But, since the fretboard does not have these "imaginary" frets because there is a nut and then a headstock at the beginning, you have to tune each string down to accomplish this instead. For example, to tune your heavy E string down a full step, you are making it the equivalent of two imaginary frets lower, or D. Also, this may not be obvious to all beginners, but remember that tuning down means tuning ALL of the strings down, and usually in the same proportion (same number of steps for each string). Yes there are exceptions, the most common being drop-tuning (millions of descriptions of drop-tuning out there, search).

P.S.> You need a *chromatic* tuner! A typical tuner will not recognize alternate tuning (you can trick it, but not worth the effort)


I understand that, and i think many others do also. I just want to know the names of the notes for each of the coresponding strings, for whatever tuning they may be in.
__________________
You ever take a dump so big your pants fit a little bit better? I'm hoping that'll happen to me later.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 2007-02-25, 14:55
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE's Avatar
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE HAMMERSMASHEDFACE is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DM WORLD
Posts: 187
Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
what tuning or tunings did Euronymous of mayhem play in
and what tuning/tunings do Blasphemer use
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
anything to point out their hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 2007-04-05, 10:13
Darkness-Of-Christ's Avatar
Darkness-Of-Christ Darkness-Of-Christ is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)
Posts: 36
I recently bought a Korg chromatic tuner (CA-30) but am having some difficulty using it. Basically I want to tune to E flat and but don't know if I have to press the calib buttons in order to change the frequency from 440hz to something difefrent. I found this on some website but have no idea what it means:

''The Calibration function (410--480 Hz) supports a wide range of standard pitches, and can be adjusted in 1 Hz steps for accurate and flexible tuning to any song or key.''

Please help!
__________________
<I see Hell Awaits.....>
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 2007-04-07, 10:07
Phlack Phlack is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EastCoast Sweden
Posts: 49
Send a message via MSN to Phlack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness-Of-Christ
I recently bought a Korg chromatic tuner (CA-30) but am having some difficulty using it. Basically I want to tune to E flat and but don't know if I have to press the calib buttons in order to change the frequency from 440hz to something difefrent. I found this on some website but have no idea what it means:

''The Calibration function (410--480 Hz) supports a wide range of standard pitches, and can be adjusted in 1 Hz steps for accurate and flexible tuning to any song or key.''

Please help!


Some bands like Pantera for example likes to intentionally tune "wrong" with some hertz, I think they downtunde like 1/4 of a note or something
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 2007-04-08, 00:48
philkilla's Avatar
philkilla philkilla is offline
Crusher of Skulls
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere down the road
Posts: 2,188
Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
yes they did.
__________________


My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us


Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 2007-04-08, 14:57
Darkness-Of-Christ's Avatar
Darkness-Of-Christ Darkness-Of-Christ is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)
Posts: 36
So do you have to adjust the hertz from 440 when using the tuner to tune down to Eb? That's what I want to know.
__________________
<I see Hell Awaits.....>
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 2007-04-08, 17:04
Sycophant's Avatar
Sycophant Sycophant is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Netherworlds Of The Mind
Posts: 685
Send a message via AIM to Sycophant
Not at all.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 2007-04-12, 20:32
Darkness-Of-Christ's Avatar
Darkness-Of-Christ Darkness-Of-Christ is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)
Posts: 36
Thank you very much. Now I know, lol.


One last question which I'm hoping one of you can answer.

I'm trying to set the intonation right on my ESP/Ltd EC-500 (string thru body)
but am having problems. When I play the octave E at the 12th fret on the lowest string the note reads flat on my chromatic tuner. So, naturally I moved the saddle towards the pickups to 'shorten' the length of the string and make the note sharp and hence, in tune. But even when I moved the saddle back as far as it could go the note was still very flat and nowhere near in tune. I'm guessing the tuner isn't fucked since it's brand new so what other adjustments can I make or should I take it to a qualified guitar tech.?
__________________
<I see Hell Awaits.....>
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 2007-07-19, 20:03
Unanything's Avatar
Unanything Unanything is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ballater, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 1,128
Send a message via MSN to Unanything
I guess it doesn't really matter now, because we all seem to know better anyhow, but why didn't someone Zerton' in the first place by saying that there are in fact 12 notes in the chromatic series and that he out missed out G#?

11-note microtonal chromatic series? Hmmm... Like that funky series you get on the Gamelan. Or J.P. Thesseling's 72-note series bass.
__________________


www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead



Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 2007-07-19, 22:57
belphegor79 belphegor79 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sault, MI
Posts: 856
Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlack
Some bands like Pantera for example likes to intentionally tune "wrong" with some hertz, I think they downtunde like 1/4 of a note or something

Wasn't it a quarter note up from D or some shit?
__________________
"I think we're already 'circling the drain' as a species, and I'd love to see the circles get a little faster and a little shorter."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 2007-07-19, 23:31
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor79
Wasn't it a quarter note up from D or some shit?

According to Riffer Madness, Dime always tuned approximately a quarter step flat. E would be Eb plus 40 cents. So if a song was in Eb standard (half step down), then yes, the E strings would actually be about a quarter step sharp from D.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 2007-07-20, 06:11
Unanything's Avatar
Unanything Unanything is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ballater, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 1,128
Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Yeah, a good way of demonstrating this is trying to play the widely-tabbed 'I'm Broken' in D, and noticing you are the slightest bit out, then go to C# and notice you are still a tiny bit out. This used to frustrate me when I learned it back in the day.

Dimebag called this tuning 'Pantera tuning', funny enough.
__________________


www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead



Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.