Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2006-07-30, 23:53
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamacorpse666
Ok Guys so I Have a Old Ovation Guitar lying here and i need a drop c tuning to be its standerd how do i need to do springs and all that fun stuff its not a fylod or anything just a shitty trem thanks for replies if i get any

Ok, what I'm getting from this broken English is that you have a guitar, and you want to down tune it so that Drop C is it's proper tuning. First you need it intonated (makes it so that your open string and your 12th and 24th fretsd are the same note). I'm not a master of this, so take it to a pro. I know it has to do with moving the sadles and adjusting the truss rod but that's the extent of my knowledge. Also, work on punctuation. Took me a couple times to figure out what the hell you were saying.

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Old 2006-09-10, 00:26
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ok, here's my problem.

I dunno why, but I can't seem to tune all the strings to each other. I know what each perfect 4th between all the strings sound like (with the exception of the G and B strings, which are a major third), but whenever I play any 6 string or even 4 string chords, it's sounds out of tune. And the root of my problem is my G and B string. I tune them to each other, and they sound out of tune with the rest of the strings. I then tune them to the rest of the strings and they don't sound in tuned with each other. Also, whenever I play them just by themselves, they sound like shit, esspecially the G-String. On clean, it sounds like a cat screaming for air while fighting in a tied-up potato sack. On Overdrive, it still sounds like that except only more screaming.

I try to refrain from using tuners because after a while, you can't rely on them and you have to rely on your ears, which helps alot. I'm thinking the best solution to my problem is when I get new strings for my guitars, have wrapped strings for both G and B and maybe even the high e string. Would that do anything, or would I be wasting my time, and money?

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.
Old 2006-09-10, 17:28
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
I mostly use my tuner, but recently i've been trying to do that whole harmonic tuning thing and am getting better at it very gradually. No offense or anything, but maybe your ear needs some more training to hear the notes correctly or it could be the strings are old and not holding tune correctly.
Old 2006-09-10, 17:31
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's probably te latter because the strings have been on the guitars longer than I have owned them.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.
Old 2006-10-15, 01:39
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
Would 13-56 strings fit in an earvana nut? I remember a while back getting those ghs 10-52 strings and the 52 barely fit.
Old 2006-10-15, 02:15
Life is pain.
Banned

they should.
Old 2006-10-15, 05:17
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
It's probably te latter because the strings have been on the guitars longer than I have owned them.

Well there's your answer... dead strings waver in and out of tune every couple of seconds. Change them, and make sure the nut is well graphited if it's a normal kind of nut, and you'll have a lot more luck with the harmonic tuning and staying in tune in general.
Old 2006-10-16, 14:52
New Blood

I feel like a real idiot haveing to ask this but how would i go about tuning to a band like In Flames, C F A# D# G C, the A# F and D# give me trouble, because 1. there is no 'F' on my tuner, and 2. to hit the A# and D# i was thinking i need to play a normal not but hold on to a note, its hard to explain but like lets say if i wanted to tune it to D# i hold down the 1st fret and tune to D for example, can anyone help me with this, im sorry again im kinda new to this.

As well as far as playing In Flames how would you rate them on playing level, beginner, easy, medium, hard, guitar god? i'd figure it to be somewhere in the medium to hard area, but they are my main focus in terms of learning right now.
Old 2006-10-16, 14:57
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Would 13-56 strings fit in an earvana nut? I remember a while back getting those ghs 10-52 strings and the 52 barely fit.

I normally used 10-52 strings at first, too. Then i changed to 13-56. The 56 string didnt fit in entirely at first, but was still playable. If you play alot over a decent amount of time the string will grind deeper into the nut until it fits in properly.
Old 2006-10-16, 17:49
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun
I feel like a real idiot haveing to ask this but how would i go about tuning to a band like In Flames, C F A# D# G C, the A# F and D# give me trouble, because 1. there is no 'F' on my tuner, and 2. to hit the A# and D# i was thinking i need to play a normal not but hold on to a note, its hard to explain but like lets say if i wanted to tune it to D# i hold down the 1st fret and tune to D for example, can anyone help me with this, im sorry again im kinda new to this.

As well as far as playing In Flames how would you rate them on playing level, beginner, easy, medium, hard, guitar god? i'd figure it to be somewhere in the medium to hard area, but they are my main focus in terms of learning right now.

I guess maybe your tuner isn't Chromatic?

Buy a Chromatic tuner, so that it will tune to notes at any pitch you require not just the 6 standard pitches.
Old 2006-10-16, 18:39
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

What tuner do you use? I use a cheap Korg GA-30 guitar and it only shows the standard BEADGBe on it, but it has a button called "flat" which lowers the tuning by 1 semitone (or 1/2 a step) per press. So basicly if I wanted to tune to D#, I press flat once. D is 2 presses, C# is 3, C is 4, B is 5 (but the tuner normally does B anyway). The tuner won't go as low as F, but if you wanted F# you could hit flat 5 times and tune to what it calls B. I can't even imagine playing in F or F# though. That's practically standard bass tuning. Way too freaking low.

About your in flames question, though I've never heard any of the band's songs, if playing them helps you improve your playing, by all means, play and learn them.

Also, you can get the tuner I use off musiciansfriend for $15 plus s&h. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...uner?sku=210526
Old 2006-10-16, 22:37
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
What tuner do you use? I use a cheap Korg GA-30 guitar and it only shows the standard BEADGBe on it, but it has a button called "flat" which lowers the tuning by 1 semitone (or 1/2 a step) per press. So basicly if I wanted to tune to D#, I press flat once. D is 2 presses, C# is 3, C is 4, B is 5 (but the tuner normally does B anyway). The tuner won't go as low as F, but if you wanted F# you could hit flat 5 times and tune to what it calls B. I can't even imagine playing in F or F# though. That's practically standard bass tuning. Way too freaking low.

About your in flames question, though I've never heard any of the band's songs, if playing them helps you improve your playing, by all means, play and learn them.

Also, you can get the tuner I use off musiciansfriend for $15 plus s&h. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...uner?sku=210526

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

I have a Seiko Guitar & Bass tuner (ST-727)
http://www.bella-music.com/pages/st-727.html

the tuner if you look in the pic, has the b and # on it but its not quite presise in terms of where to tune it on the guitar.

On it the 'note' will change which string your tuning, the 'mode' switches it from guitar to bass (to tune to C i switch it to bass) and pitch affects the 'Hz'
it starts off at 440Hz goes up to 446Hz and down to 435Hz, is this the 'flat' thing you were talkin about, that lowers it a semi tone?
Old 2006-10-17, 20:53
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to help me!

I have a Seiko Guitar & Bass tuner (ST-727)
http://www.bella-music.com/pages/st-727.html

the tuner if you look in the pic, has the b and # on it but its not quite presise in terms of where to tune it on the guitar.

On it the 'note' will change which string your tuning, the 'mode' switches it from guitar to bass (to tune to C i switch it to bass) and pitch affects the 'Hz'
it starts off at 440Hz goes up to 446Hz and down to 435Hz, is this the 'flat' thing you were talkin about, that lowers it a semi tone?

Your tuner doesn't have the feature I was talking about. You'd have to contact the makers of the tuner or read the manual.
Old 2006-11-04, 10:17
New Blood

When I tune a string and move on to the next one, the first one goes automatically a lot higher than I tuned it, resulting in me tuning over and over again for half an hour untill the strings finally stay the way i tuned them. I already tried adjusting the springs.
Old 2007-01-07, 02:08
New Blood

eh

how would u tune [C#,F#,B,e,g#,c#] with a standard tuner?
Old 2007-01-10, 12:51
New Blood

Guages for tunings

I use the Dimebag DR high voltage strings and heres what i've come up with:

E: 48 Eb: 50 D: 52 Db: 54 etc. I like em a little thicker, it makes it easer for me when im playing speed metal. I just say 48 for standard and 2 guages down for every half step. I say the same thing for dropped tunings too, just deal with a little floppieness on the bottom one.
Old 2007-01-10, 12:56
New Blood

If you're saying what comes up for those letters on a standard tuner, C# is the same as Db, F# the same as Gb, etc. its just a different way of saying it. rather than sayings its low on the D, its saying its high on the C.
Old 2007-01-10, 13:27
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolfe

If by "standard tuner" you mean one of those shit ones that's only capable of recognising EADBGe then you can only do it fretting the strings in the positions that will produce those recognised notes. Alternatively, either buy a chromatic tuner, or tune by ear from a song (CD, mp3 etc) or from Guitar pro (software, free trial version) or Power tab (software, free). If you have an adapter, you can plug your guitar into your computer and use tuner software (I know guitar pro 4 has this capability, I'm sure there's hundreds you can download).
If it is a chromatic tuner, listen to metal redneck.
Old 2007-01-10, 19:32
New Blood

Here's a handy site I found, it's a guitar tuner and it works with a computer mic, so you can tune acoustics easily, I found it really hard to tune my acoustic until I foiund this, I hope someone enjoys it.

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

And, no, it is not spyware, a virus etc, I scanned it.
Old 2007-01-18, 21:49
New Blood

Send a message via MSN to Fat Bastard
What about a list of all of the tunings and thier coresponding notes for each string? Like we all know that E tuning is:
E A D G B e,

Eb is obviously
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb,

And i personally like C# tuning, which is
C# F# B E G# C#,

could someone fill in the rest of the tunings (D, C, Bb, Ab, etc.) for me?