Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2003-02-28, 16:02
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

Send a message via AIM to slayme_returns
Lars did a little 8 minute interview on this radio station, KISW and he dropped a few interesting bits of info on St. Anger. The clip is in streaming Real Audio format, so if you don't have it or don't want to bother with it I'll sum it up for you here.

The album will incorporate alot of the "old school" style elements, the speed, the tempo changes and whatnot.

Average song length is 7-8 minutes

June 10th is the latest possible release date, it's like a safety net. The album may actually be released earlier.

There's some pretty funny stuff at the end of the interview as well, here's the link

http://www.kisw.com/real/022503_lars/022503_lars.ram
Old 2003-02-28, 17:46
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by slayme_returns
Lars did a little 8 minute interview on this radio station, KISW and he dropped a few interesting bits of info on St. Anger. The clip is in streaming Real Audio format, so if you don't have it or don't want to bother with it I'll sum it up for you here.

The album will incorporate alot of the "old school" style elements, the speed, the tempo changes and whatnot.

Average song length is 7-8 minutes

June 10th is the latest possible release date, it's like a safety net. The album may actually be released earlier.

There's some pretty funny stuff at the end of the interview as well, here's the link

http://www.kisw.com/real/022503_lars/022503_lars.ram

Well even though you can't go by what Lars is saying, what he did say sounded promising. I'm still remaining optimistic about it.

Fender0823: ok here's a good one.........
Fender0823: what if u could have all the babes u wanted in ur bed, but once a month u had to wear a shirt in public that said "I like my men in short shorts" would u do it
Fender0823: :-X god im scary
Fender0823: lol
Fender0823: this is what alcohol does to me.
Ulimnar: hell yeah i would, lol, that'd be hilarious
Fender0823: lmfao!!!!!!!
Fender0823: hahahahahahaha
Fender0823: can i put this in my sig on metaltabs
Fender0823: lololol
Ulimnar: but I'd also carry a gun for any homos that took it seriously

"Wally Leaves us officially" - Ulimnar: lol I think it'll work now...goodbye man
Ulimnar signed off at 10:09:37 PM.
Old 2003-03-01, 06:52
Senior Metalhead

think we should for the best, im looking forward to a oldskool metallica album
Old 2003-03-01, 21:35
Supreme Metalhead

Impressions on St. Anger (review from MetClub's SoWhat! magazine)

Each issue of SoWhat! has a contest. Last time, the winner was invited to Metallica headquarters to interview the band, hear the album (as it stood), and write an article in the next SoWhat! Personally, I'm suprised they let him print as much as he did, but here's what he had to say about what he heard:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Murphy, SoWhat! Volume 9, Number 4
I'll get right to the point; the material I heard from the new Metallica album is some of the heaviest and fastest the band has ever recorded. The drums and guitars switch from abusively fast tempos, to half-time rhythms, to full breakdowns without missing a beat. And just when you think you're safe they come back around and punch you in the face to make sure you're still paying attention. Song One [track titles are cencored] kicks off this trend. It begins with a slow bluesy guitar riff, but the blues of the clean riff are immediately cut short by a distorted "chick, chick" sound of strings being dug into. It sends the message that the guitarist has grown impatient and is ready to shed the blues to take his turn at the riff, so when the original riff returns, it's distorted and much faster. In moments, Lars' drums blast in with a fury that drives the song straight through your chest, Hetfield and Hammett both along for the ride and dueling it out with guitar harmonies. The song falls into a driving rhythm led by Lars' drums and Bob's bass, while James comes in strong, barking "you won't shine, watch your back, don't stab mine!". Just when you think you know what to expect, the song fully breaks down: the riffs and beats stop, leaving only chords and symbals resonating. James voice soars over the supporting tones confessing, "I lie to get a smile." The drums and guitars return from their brief rest and pound in syncopation with Hetfield's interrogation, "How sweet are you? How sweet does it get?!" The song goes out in a super-fast "chug" riff, not giving the listener a chance to forget the name of the band that just kicked his ass. Song One ends, but before I can catch my breath Lars inserts the latest version of Song Two. I'll admit, I initially think Song One will be the only song on the album with such raw aggression, speed, and power, but nothing could be further from the truth. Song Two begins with a stop-time intro, full of guitar chugs and snare hits, that scream of the power this song has. Not only musically does this tune stand out, but also it has some of the most powerful lyrics and melodies of any Metallica song I've ever heard. Hetfield fiercely laments looking out his window and seeing all that's gone wrong for those who "drink from the cup of denial." In the chorus his anger explodes as he barks three times over that he is, "projector, rejector, injector," before finally commanding, "I slam my gavel down!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little later Jim sat in on a lyric writing session. For a song that James likens to a frantic search for the meaning of why we are here, he writes, "Searching to know how not to die, dying to know where to search. You look in your closet for a monster you don't want to find." Kirk adds, "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle," a line James particularly likes and soon after records.

Fender0823: ok here's a good one.........
Fender0823: what if u could have all the babes u wanted in ur bed, but once a month u had to wear a shirt in public that said "I like my men in short shorts" would u do it
Fender0823: :-X god im scary
Fender0823: lol
Fender0823: this is what alcohol does to me.
Ulimnar: hell yeah i would, lol, that'd be hilarious
Fender0823: lmfao!!!!!!!
Fender0823: hahahahahahaha
Fender0823: can i put this in my sig on metaltabs
Fender0823: lololol
Ulimnar: but I'd also carry a gun for any homos that took it seriously

"Wally Leaves us officially" - Ulimnar: lol I think it'll work now...goodbye man
Ulimnar signed off at 10:09:37 PM.
Old 2003-03-02, 01:57
Senior Metalhead

sounds promising
Old 2003-03-02, 06:08
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
i'm getting optimistic about this
Old 2003-03-02, 06:36
Post-whore

But still I cant figure out if they are really going back to the good old days... all I hear is ``its hard, agressive and fast but still Im affraid it is going to be nu-metallish... that is what everyone else (in theyre opinion) makes....
Old 2003-03-02, 07:52
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

true, but we can hope for the best.

I don't think it's going to be fantastic, and I hate the part about bob rock playing bass on the album, there's probably not any cool bassing going on, but they do have a nice bassist now, only he didn't play on the recordings

I wonder what it's going to be like, I hope it'll sound like the old stuff, but hey, maybe they've sold out and descided to do nu-metal
Old 2003-03-02, 08:02
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

lets hope not
Old 2003-03-03, 19:46
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

Alright fuckers, there's a new video up at the studio site. It's just them jamming with Rob on some old stuff mainly but it's also got a nice clip of all 4 of them jammin' a new tune.

I like what I hear. go check it out.

http://www.metallica.com/its/logon/logon.asp
Old 2003-03-03, 21:25
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

For those that don't want to watch the vid and just want to hear the clip now, here ya go.

http://www.guitar.com/artists/sound...kirk-NewMet.mp3
Old 2003-03-04, 06:46
Senior Metalhead

i cant seem to watch video and the audio file sounds alrite cant really judge it by wats there
Old 2003-03-04, 19:14
warnerve92

What can I say, thats a fucking cool riff. If thats any indicator of the album then cool, Im excited, but that may also be one of the most brutal moments on the album.......

Cheers for that Slayme, are there any other sound files around at all?
Old 2003-03-04, 19:43
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

First off I'd like to say that Metaltabs got that clip before anyone else on the web. I had half of the Metallica board, and the www.allmetallica.com webmaster asking me for the clip, which I gave out. Blabbermouth also picked it up and ran a story on it as well, just thought you guys would find it interesting that we beat the web to the punch on this one.

There are a few other clips from other studio vids that I'm pretty sure you've already heard, but if you haven't here ya go.

http://www.allmetallica.com/multimedia/sounds.shtml

Scroll down until you see the 'samples' header, and the first two clips there are new.
Old 2003-03-04, 19:58
warnerve92

Fuck yeah.
Old 2003-03-05, 07:42
Senior Metalhead

this album for mes getting better and better as i hear the shit, nice work slayme keep em coming
Old 2003-03-05, 10:05
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to mrweijia Send a message via Yahoo to mrweijia
Quote:
Originally posted by slayme_returns
First off I'd like to say that Metaltabs got that clip before anyone else on the web. I had half of the Metallica board, and the www.allmetallica.com webmaster asking me for the clip, which I gave out. Blabbermouth also picked it up and ran a story on it as well, just thought you guys would find it interesting that we beat the web to the punch on this one.

There are a few other clips from other studio vids that I'm pretty sure you've already heard, but if you haven't here ya go.

http://www.allmetallica.com/multimedia/sounds.shtml

Scroll down until you see the 'samples' header, and the first two clips there are new.

how did you get it so fast??
Old 2003-03-05, 12:55
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

To clarify, the 23 second clip of new shit is within the new streaming video that the Studio site had put up. I was just the first one to record the stream, convert it into an mp3 file and extract the clip from it.
Old 2003-03-05, 13:23
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

its funny
Old 2003-03-05, 13:32
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

What's funny?