MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2006-04-12, 23:18
Transylvania__
New Blood

Dumbest thing someone said to you about Metal?

"That music makes me nervous" - My mom

"You can't hear what the guy is singing!" - One of my dumb friends, about Black Metal

When I think of more I'll let you know.

-Edit-

Before any of you post something about the thread, especially about "finding people dumb because they don't like metal" , I want to state that I ask this only because I find it totally ridiculous to critisize music with such dumb arguments.

Last edited by Transylvania__ : 2006-04-14 at 21:51.

Old 2006-04-12, 23:23
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania__
"You can't hear what the guy is singing!" - One of my dumb friends, about Black Metal

- Every person who doesnt listen to metal you mean.

"Why would you like that, you cant even understand what hes saying."

I think the discusted looks I get say enough themselves haha

God bless teh metal

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-04-12, 23:27
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

haha When a "dinosaur" says they can't understand the words ask them what the lyrics are to "Louie, Louie." I bet they get pissed and leave you alone.
Fight fire with fire.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2006-04-12, 23:33
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

His friends aren't dinosaurs. Plus everyone knows the lyrics to 'Louie, Louie' by now, past controversies about the potential vulgarity of the words notwithstanding. And, finally, 'Louie, Louie,' when you know the lyrics, tends to be less offensive/harmful/stupid than most metal lyrics that are growled or screeched.

People don't say anything dumber about metal than the people here say about the genres they don't understand (and metalheads understand very little). Getting indignant over it is pretty fucking dumb.

Old 2006-04-12, 23:57
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

The dumbest thing that comes to mind is when Judas Priest were convicted of their music being responsible for the suicide of a teen. The message (while playing the LP backwards) was, "do it." I guess that's a stupid said thing said about a metal band, and not the genre...

Old 2006-04-13, 00:00
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Most people say to me, "it's all just noise!"

Well no shit Sherlock. All music is noise.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2006-04-13, 00:02
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
People don't say anything dumber about metal than the people here say about the genres they don't understand (and metalheads understand very little). Getting indignant over it is pretty fucking dumb.

I can't believe you're too stupid to realize that metal is the best genre of music ever. Actually only a very small portion of metal is good, the rest is fuckin' gay. Plus, you can't spell "crap" without "rap." Get it?? LOL! And emo is fuckin' gayer than the gayest fuckin' gayness.

I can't believe people can listen to gay ass gay fuckin' shitty gay shit like Ludacris and then when I play them a fuckin' badass super heavy ass awesome song like "Fermented Offal Discharge" n' they say gay shit like "YOU WORSHIP SATAN, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S SAYING!" Fuck that shit, only a dumbass could no understand Muhammad, plus his sweeps are fuckin' AMAZING. Rap is gay as shit! I can't even understand what the hell they say!

Old 2006-04-13, 00:02
Transient
HES BAAACK

the otherday i watched some classmates reading cannibal corpse lyrics and laughing at them "who listens to this shit!" etc

after being offended for about 30 seconds i realized that the lyrics really are stupid and metal heads tend to take stuff more seriously than it should. nobody ever really gives you a hard time about what you listen to (last i checked there isnt a music Gestapo) . a little ribbing never hurt anyone

Old 2006-04-13, 00:12
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
I can't believe you're too stupid to realize that metal is the best genre of music ever. Actually only a very small portion of metal is good, the rest is fuckin' gay. Plus, you can't spell "crap" without "rap." Get it?? LOL! And emo is fuckin' gayer than the gayest fuckin' gayness.

I can't believe people can listen to gay ass gay fuckin' shitty gay shit like Ludacris and then when I play them a fuckin' badass super heavy ass awesome song like "Fermented Offal Discharge" n' they say gay shit like "YOU WORSHIP SATAN, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S SAYING!" Fuck that shit, only a dumbass could no understand Muhammad, plus his sweeps are fuckin' AMAZING. Rap is gay as shit! I can't even understand what the hell they say!

If you're not being sarcastic, then I feel really bad for you.

Transient, I came to that same realization before I even really liked Cannibal Corpse and most other death metal. It's alright to like those sorts of things though. I just put their lyrics into the same category as my reasons for liking Friday the 13th movies. While being ridiculous, it can still be entertaining as long as you let it be.

I just want to say that this thread is going to end up with about 3000 posts of people saying the same god damn thing over again about it being "just noise" or "satan's music" or whatever else so a bunch of high schoolers can talk about how dumb other people are and how cool they are for listening to this...

I guess to put it bluntly, I really hope this thread gets someone saying something retarded so it gets closed soon. It just seems pointless to me, which is why this will probably be my only post.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2006-04-13, 01:53
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

"I saw Slipknot Live. They are really hardcore!"

"I saw Metallica live. They are really hardcore!"

"I saw Opeth live. They sucked!"

They last two no one has said to me, yet, but I think they are really misguided statements.

Edit- I do get that whole "I don't understand what they are saying." Half the time, I actually don't understand them. Unless I read the lyrics, it does sometimes sound like alot of growling, although I know that's not what it is. Honestly, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics as I do the instruments. I know that sounds a little shallow, since a good chunk of metal is defined by the lyrics, in my opinion. I'm just more inspired by the instruments than I am the singer.

I also sometimes get that whole "That's the devil's music" argument. Some of the adults that give me this bullshit are the same parents that let their 12 year old daughters dress up like their favorite whorish pop star bimbo and go parading their skin in schools and other public places. I don't care what music anyone else listens to, but don't go talking about how corrupt metal is until you put some clothes on that lip-syncing fake you call a star.

If metal is truly the devil's music, I say to these parents "tell the devil I said 'thank you' when you see him in Hell."

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Last edited by CompelledToLacerate : 2006-04-13 at 02:08.

Old 2006-04-13, 10:21
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpurgis

Transient, I came to that same realization before I even really liked Cannibal Corpse and most other death metal. It's alright to like those sorts of things though. I just put their lyrics into the same category as my reasons for liking Friday the 13th movies. While being ridiculous, it can still be entertaining as long as you let it be.

yeah i know, but im just saying a lot of people just read lyrics (maybe not THAT over the top, but gore lyrics, murder lyrics) and just think "wow thats badass" because its metal. if you take a step back and look at some of the lyrics from a non metalheads perspective, it IS ridiculous. even great songs like thrones of blood has silly lyrics

dont take music too seriously is what im saying

Old 2006-04-13, 10:48
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

someone who didn't believed Samba Briza by Atheist was played by a metal band.

metalheads who say power metal is gay and when asked why, they can't present any reasons.

Old 2006-04-13, 12:02
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

i have gotten:
"metal has no depth to it"
"its not music"
"its just powerchords, there is no skill involved in it"

Old 2006-04-13, 12:16
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

'its just playing fast for ages, no accents or technicality'

hahahahaha I would love to see YOU blast for 45 mins straight bi-atch

'its a load of baby-eating music'

(said in relation to Dying Fetus)

Old 2006-04-13, 14:50
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

people who like metal are a minority. get over it.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-04-13, 15:33
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

I don't really get upset when someone hears metal and doesn't like it. It's perfectly understandable why someone who's not used to it would say dumb shit about it. You either like it or you don't -- it doesn't require a philosophical conversation to sort out. So any argument about it, in my opinion, is stupid. Music is music, art is art, and personal preference is personal preference. With that said, I think the dumbest thing anyone ever said about metal was something to the effect of, "Anyone who doesn't listen to this shit should fuckin' die!". People who regard any style of music as superior to all others and can't grasp the concept of personal preference are idiots.

Old 2006-04-13, 15:47
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

The dumbest thing a dumb friend has ever said to me is that Sum41 are more technical than ANY metal, which was said after he made me listen to some solo on their latest album.
So I proved him wrong (easily) and he started playing that he was joking yadayadayada. I know he believed himself for a portion in time.

I posted a massive rant on this over a year ago, but ill never forget the feeling I got when he said that. It's the feeling you get when you witness someone being completely ignorant through stupidity. Im sure PST 88 gets that feeling throughout most of his day

Old 2006-04-13, 15:50
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
...completely ignorant through stupidity...

Well said.

Old 2006-04-13, 15:54
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

I like (insert any black metal band name).
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2006-04-13, 15:55
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpayne
I don't really get upset when someone hears metal and doesn't like it. It's perfectly understandable why someone who's not used to it would say dumb shit about it. You either like it or you don't -- it doesn't require a philosophical conversation to sort out. So any argument about it, in my opinion, is stupid. Music is music, art is art, and personal preference is personal preference. With that said, I think the dumbest thing anyone ever said about metal was something to the effect of, "Anyone who doesn't listen to this shit should fuckin' die!". People who regard any style of music as superior to all others and can't grasp the concept of personal preference are idiots.

This post typifies whats goin on in this thread; a whole lot of nothin. No one asked for philosophies, just stupid things people have said to you about metal. Not, why people dont get metal, or how metal heads are apparently understand very few genres. Just stupid things said about metal.

Stupid things Ive had said? Not too much. The normal, such as "Why do you listen to that, you cant hear what theyre saying" and I used to get the whole "its talentless anyone can do it" line, but thats died down a lot now. Yeah, I dont think Ive had anything utterly retarded said to me in quite some time. Ill have to change that.

Old 2006-04-13, 16:09
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion

hahaha

Old 2006-04-13, 16:55
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

People who say Slipknot and Korn are death metal.

Old 2006-04-13, 17:03
low-tech
Post-whore

i once read in a rolling stone magazine, or some pop culture mag thats similiar, describing godsamck as black metal

Old 2006-04-13, 17:30
Defiant Mind
Senior Metalhead

I was watching TV last night and I saw a commercial for a gay band called "She Wants Revenge" .. They were describing as "Gothic Metal".. lol .. stupid TV

Old 2006-04-13, 17:33
Requiem
Post-whore

Is it hard?

Old 2006-04-13, 18:31
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion

hahaha.

Do a lot of people into TRUE SATANTIC NORVEGEGIAN B[A{K M3TA) actually take it seriously?

75% of the lyrics I listen too, I don't take seriously at all...they are just a joke more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2006-04-13, 18:34
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk

Oh, that happens...it's because that's what the mass media sees..hell, when I first saw a video of Slipknot in grade 6 I thought it was insanity.

Godsmack, black metal. haahahaha.

There are millions of people who think Ozzy is the most brutal mother fucker in music.

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2006-04-13, 19:21
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

"There's no melody to it, it's just loud noise"
What the fuck do you call melodic metal? Also how can solos not be melodic? Probably they must think that limp bizkit is categorized as heavy metal.

Old 2006-04-13, 19:37
Requiem
Post-whore

yeah people consider Korn godsmack slipknot all that radio shit death metal it just makes me laugh

Old 2006-04-13, 20:37
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:

Can you tell me where these people live?

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-04-13, 20:37
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Hmm...one of my buddies said: WTF is the problem with the singer, he can't sing! And one other guitar player that i know, said: One advice; listen to good music.

Old 2006-04-13, 22:52
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

People who think Slipknot and Korn are death metal only think that because of lack of exposure. As I already said, you're all exactly as ignorant about other genres, especially when they're more obscure and further from what you hear every day, so don't worry about it. The best statement so far in this thread came from Transient, when he said that metalheads take all this shit too seriously. You do. There's no reason in the world for somebody who doesn't like metal to be familiar with it at all, any more than there's a reason for the people here to have an in depth knowledge of little-known rappers.

Old 2006-04-13, 23:09
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

You guys are all so hardcore.

Old 2006-04-14, 02:33
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
People who think Slipknot and Korn are death metal only think that because of lack of exposure.

HMMMMMM THAT LOOKS FAMILIAR...OH WAIT, I POSTED THAT COMMENT AS WELL.

"You know so much about nothing at all!"

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2006-04-14, 04:08
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

"it sounds like hes burping" a girl said this about Nile.
"metal makes people do bad things" news or something
"they are just randomly pounding the drums" and idiot
"thats scary" a girl
"are they devil worshipers?" some guy
"would you listen to that in front of god" grandma

i used to like a christian metal band called Living Sacrifice back in middle school. for anyone who is laughing, they actually arnt that bad. i dont know how they are anymore, but i still have Reborn, and its the closest christian band ive heard come to death metal so far. anyway, i showed them to my mom a long time ago and she said "how do you know they arnt really satanic, and pose as christians to lure you in". ...ok, lure you into what?! buying the cd? well i would have done that whether or not they were christian. and whats worse is you can say the same thing about EVERY artist because we dont really know what other people believe in anyway. meh

Old 2006-04-14, 04:34
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
"would you listen to that in front of god" grandma

Old people rule

Quote:
i used to like a christian metal band called Living Sacrifice back in middle school. for anyone who is laughing, they actually arnt that bad.

Haha yes they are dude! I used to like them too.
I've had the whole 'Thats scary' said to me by a chick, it was to Nile.

Quote:
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-04-14, 04:51
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
Also how can solos not be melodic?

I take it you've never listened to Slayer before

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2006-04-14, 05:01
The Execrator
Noob lud

"It's not music, the lyrics don't even rhyme"- A friend who likes rap... I didn't even bother argueing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-04-14, 05:26
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

My sister said she was going to buy me a cd a few months ago, so when we were at the store I picked out Scars of the Crucifix by Deicide... The obviously displeased 'christian' read the song titles and commented aloud "Conquered by Saddam? Are they from Iraq or something?" I just grabbed the CD from her hands and put it back... A few weeks later my mom asked me if I listen to a satanic band from Iraq and that my sister was concerned.... Yeah.....

Old 2006-04-14, 05:45
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Ahahahaha, that one takes the cake

Quote:

Old 2006-04-14, 06:04
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Haha yes they are dude! I used to like them too.
I've had the whole 'Thats scary' said to me by a chick, it was to Nile.

hah, i meant for being christian they arnt horrible. though i know they arnt good.

oh yeah, and my mom used to think Korn were satanic.
something that REALLY pissed me off once was when my uncle said music is just a fad we go through. he said id like something else when i get older. i could probably write an essay on why that is wrong, but ill just stick with
1. i am pretty good at music, come to far to quit, and i love it more than anything
2. my emotional connection is so strong that some songs can make me cry
3. i have about 3000 dollars in cds and love them, im never leaving them.

Old 2006-04-14, 06:14
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
I take it you've never listened to Slayer before

Yes, i have. i was just commenting on the majority of solos

Old 2006-04-14, 06:40
deadnight_warrior
Senior Metalhead

i hate it when people say it takes no talent to play metal, fucking retards

Old 2006-04-14, 07:50
*insert name here*
Jono

Dude,you only need to know powerchords.

Old 2006-04-14, 10:21
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
1. i am pretty good at music, come to far to quit, and i love it more than anything

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2006-04-14, 12:00
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I think if my grandmother could ask me to turn up King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" because she liked it I can give about anything a listen at least once. Sometimes I'll listen to Nile or sometimes Fraggle Rock. It depends on my mood.

I don't know if wally even knows this, but I didn't really get into stuff like Zeppelin til the early 80's. It was just too heavy for me except for the mainstream stuff and the media taught me that Black Sabbath was bad and caused people to do evil stuff so I never gave them much chance. I was very skeptical when wally started playing Sabbath and Pantera, but when I heard him play and heard some of the cd's I changed my way of thinking. I was concerned about the wives tales passed along like when I was younger. That's happened throughout the centuries and not just currently. I also thought about the mentality of my kids and their friend's and realized they wouldn't think of it as being anything, but entertainment.
A lot of music has artistry to it, but I think that a lot of metal is over the top in technicality compared to other stuff.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2006-04-14, 14:32
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

I once showed someone Luminum - Cryptopsy. They said it was Country music.

Of course theres always the "Slipknot is death metal/the heaviest... Metallicas the best... Its all just RAW RAW RAWR!!" shit, but weve all heard that a million times.

EDIT: One time I said that Necrotic was looking for a drummer and one of my friends (hes in Cadets and plays the snare) said hed play for us, but hes too busy. He also said there was nothing to it. I await the day he hears Cryptopsy. or Hate Eternal.

EDIT2: Also, not so much about metal, but music in gerenal, but I hate it when people say "Ya I listen to a bit of everything" and you look at theyre playlist and its all rap and Emo.

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Last edited by Zertonshfits : 2006-04-14 at 14:36.

Old 2006-04-14, 14:41
Slabbefusk

Quote:
People who think Slipknot and Korn are death metal only think that because of lack of exposure. As I already said, you're all exactly as ignorant about other genres, especially when they're more obscure and further from what you hear every day, so don't worry about it. The best statement so far in this thread came from Transient, when he said that metalheads take all this shit too seriously. You do. There's no reason in the world for somebody who doesn't like metal to be familiar with it at all, any more than there's a reason for the people here to have an in depth knowledge of little-known rappers.

Well fuck that. I just find it funny (well a bit disturbing) that people call Slipknot and Korn death metal. I don't listen to only metal, if it it sounds good I will enjoy it wether it is rap, pop, emo (although highly unlikely), soul, blues or jazz and whatever. People who take their taste in music too seriously annoy me.

If YOU think it sounds good it is good.

Old 2006-04-14, 14:56
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:
Well fuck that. I just find it funny (well a bit disturbing) that people call Slipknot and Korn death metal......People who take their taste in music too seriously annoy me.

Anyone smell just a hint of hypocrisy in the air?

Old 2006-04-14, 15:06
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I think that the whole 'the instrumentation takes no talent' argument is very plainly moot, and even people who lob that criticism end up admitting that they're aware of it, once you start listing how many beats per minute Severed Savior or Hate Eternal rips off cleanly and accurately, and then giving them your mp3 player to listen, they have to eat their words, plain and simple.

But the one thing that really pisses me off, is how even after that, they remark that the vocals take absolutely no talent. None whatsoever, they just open their mouths and it happens ( people who hold this opinion often follow a remark like that by making a noise that sounds like someone making fun of the elderly by exaggerting the sound of their tired throats ), that anyone at all can do it.

What I do every time this happens is that I respond by pulling out my very best Devourment-esque growl and ask the person to do exactly that. EXACTLY that. The raspy old-man's loud breathing does'nt count. I put them on the spot, and they end up admitting that that too is a craft.

Old 2006-04-14, 15:08
Transient
HES BAAACK

mom thought it was a fad when i was getting into metal when i was like 12 .... its natural

Old 2006-04-14, 15:30
fatdanny
Post-whore

"aaah! turn it off it's really scaring me" - ex girlfriend referring to Nile, wasn't a long relationship...

My brother often says "Thats shit, they might as well be playing anything" when I play him some of the more technical/random stuff, like goratory or behold the arctopus, he says the same about ornette coleman too. To me that is why its good. It sounds totally chaotic, but has been specifically written to achieve that effect - that is not easy to do.

I always feel sorry for people whos parents actively disapprove of metal. Especially when they assume that their child is a complete retard and incapable of thinking for him or herself - ie that they are going to end up killing themselves, others or both as a result of listening to metal. I think its more of an american thing.
My parents have never really commented on it, except my dad when he tells me how impressive it looks when I play, he fully acknowleges the skill involved, but then says I should concentrate on 'nice music' (he plays folk guitar).

Old 2006-04-14, 17:58
Slabbefusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
Anyone smell just a hint of hypocrisy in the air?

I stand by what I said, call me a hypocrit if you want.

Old 2006-04-14, 18:16
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertonshfits
I once showed someone Luminum - Cryptopsy. They said it was Country music.

More like classical.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2006-04-14, 19:45
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

@FBS:haha
its true anyway. the Intro to Iron by Ensiferum has made me cry before.

Old 2006-04-14, 19:55
KevC
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
I think that the whole 'the instrumentation takes no talent' argument is very plainly moot, and even people who lob that criticism end up admitting that they're aware of it, once you start listing how many beats per minute Severed Savior or Hate Eternal rips off cleanly and accurately, and then giving them your mp3 player to listen, they have to eat their words, plain and simple.

But the one thing that really pisses me off, is how even after that, they remark that the vocals take absolutely no talent. None whatsoever, they just open their mouths and it happens ( people who hold this opinion often follow a remark like that by making a noise that sounds like someone making fun of the elderly by exaggerting the sound of their tired throats ), that anyone at all can do it.

What I do every time this happens is that I respond by pulling out my very best Devourment-esque growl and ask the person to do exactly that. EXACTLY that. The raspy old-man's loud breathing does'nt count. I put them on the spot, and they end up admitting that that too is a craft.

hahaha nice, before I came familiar with metal, i didn't think the growling vocals were that hard to do, but once i gave it a try, i was like fuck

Old 2006-04-14, 20:38
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevC
hahaha nice, before I came familiar with metal, i didn't think the growling vocals were that hard to do, but once i gave it a try, i was like fuck

Its great when they try to back out of it --- "That's stupid, I'm not doing that" "Well, you put your foot in your mouth when you said it takes no effort. So fucking do it if its so easy or shut up."

Old 2006-04-14, 21:18
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
...I always feel sorry for people whos parents actively disapprove of metal. Especially when they assume that their child is a complete retard and incapable of thinking for him or herself - ie that they are going to end up killing themselves, others or both as a result of listening to metal. I think its more of an american thing...

That could be a little bit. I think new genres of music scare and intimidate and not just here or recently. And the "media gossip" is partly to blame. I even fussed about the boys watching The Simpson's, Beavis and Butthead, and South Park until I started watching them to see for myself what it was about to form my own opinions. I treat music the same way though some I delve into more than others.

Old 2006-04-14, 21:24
Fliggunsnov
New Blood

"50 Cent and Eminem have more talent then ANY guitarist you can list..."

"Hammett could shred circles around Petrucci..."

"50 Cent was shot 9 times and lived, Dimebag was shot like once or twice and died, fuckin pussy..." -Cannot describe how much this one pissed me off, AND, 50 was shot 3 times, shot AT 9 times...

"If you want heavy, listen to the bass on hip-hop and rap, metal's nothing..."

"Can't spell metal without, long haired faggot ass loser hippies who can't sing..."

"Instrumentals are so dumb, they just make them since it's so easy to come up with guitar riffs and shit..."

Old 2006-04-14, 21:33
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
hah, i meant for being christian they arnt horrible. though i know they arnt good.

oh yeah, and my mom used to think Korn were satanic.
something that REALLY pissed me off once was when my uncle said music is just a fad we go through. he said id like something else when i get older. i could probably write an essay on why that is wrong, but ill just stick with

I get where you are comming from. I used to get that "you are just in a phase" thing a while ago. It was rather annoying.

And it's pretty egocentrical, whining to get silly statements when you are blaring br00tal technical deathmetal at 100's of decibells to people not into metal. That said, I usualy don't blast my shit when I am sure people are not going to enjoy it. They don't play their crappy rap shit to me. It's a trade, see?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-04-14, 21:39
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliggunsnov

"50 Cent was shot 9 times and lived, Dimebag was shot like once or twice and died, fuckin pussy..." -Cannot describe how much this one pissed me off, AND, 50 was shot 3 times, shot AT 9 times...

"Can't spell metal without, long haired faggot ass loser hippies who can't sing..."

"Instrumentals are so dumb, they just make them since it's so easy to come up with guitar riffs and shit..."

Some of those just sound like people fucking with you to piss you off, not actual beliefs of the person, though I wouldn't doubt it with some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2006-04-14, 22:03
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I'm not sure exactly what the person said to me, but it was along the lines of "you'll eventually stop playing guitar and listening to metal and settle down,etc,..."-once again along the lines of metal being a fad
"So many rappers get shot and killed, it's about time someone in metal got killed(referring to Dimebag)"-That one pissed me off alot, especially since it was on the day he was killed.

Old 2006-04-14, 22:33
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
I get where you are comming from. I used to get that "you are just in a phase" thing a while ago. It was rather annoying.

then check this out. after that i asked my uncle what his favorite bands were... he said he didnt have "favorite bands". he said he liked a few and thats it. i told him "well theres where we are different. you dont care about music, thats why you think its a fad". and now that i remember, he said "ok play me something on your guitar. i played something melodic i made and he just said "ok" after about 10 seconds and left the room. before this i thought he was an ok guy... hes a dick.

Old 2006-04-14, 23:06
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Yea I was really bored in Social one day so this chick pulls out her mp3 player and its some emo shit. So I offer to listen to mine instead and put on Gorgasm and she asks why MY music is so sad and depressing!

Old 2006-04-14, 23:31
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Dude who the fuck do you hang out with? You should have hit that motherfucker upside his head.....

Old 2006-04-15, 02:07
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
i have gotten:

"its just powerchords, there is no skill involved in it"

obviously these people dont play instruments

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-04-15, 02:10
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:

tell me where your wigger friends live and ILL kill them
plus Dime was shot in the face
motherfuckers
best way to deal with them is just to reassure them that they are NOT black

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-04-15, 04:24
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Heart-Hate
best way to deal with them is just to reassure them that they are NOT black

And then see how they take a bullet to the face!

Old 2006-04-15, 04:55
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
"So many rappers get shot and killed, it's about time someone in metal got killed(referring to Dimebag)"-That one pissed me off alot, especially since it was on the day he was killed.

Most of those rappers fucking ask for it. Look at the lifestyle they whore out to make money. Of course its going to get too serious.

Metal is just so taxing compared to other genres. The vocallist HAS to throw every ounce of energy outward, and direct it all correctly. Guitarists have to have amazing dexterity and precision, and a fuckin huge knowledge of their instrument. Drummers are just fuckin amazing, the difference between casual drumming and metal drumming is sooo fuckin far apart.

I think I love metal so much because it can be both beautiful, and it can be pure channelled aggression.

Quote:

Old 2006-04-15, 05:15
Bia
Muffin Ass

"They're not singing in perfect pitch"

Old 2006-04-15, 05:58
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
"50 Cent was shot 9 times and lived, Dimebag was shot like once or twice and died, fuckin pussy..."

Did you hesitate to crack them in the face with your fist and correct them for ever comparing Dime?

Old 2006-04-15, 06:12
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:

ive actualy heard that one before.

Old 2006-04-15, 06:34
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
@FBS:haha
its true anyway. the Intro to Iron by Ensiferum has made me cry before.

The song Iron?? WTF. lol

Sword Chant makes me cry because of it's cheese factor.

The only songs I usually have strong emotion too are "Dee" and "Goodbye To Romance" by Ozzy...beautiful songs...godamn I wish Randy Rhoads was still alive.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2006-04-15, 10:12
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
The only songs I usually have strong emotion too are "Dee" and "Goodbye To Romance" by Ozzy...beautiful songs...godamn I wish Randy Rhoads was still alive.

Same here, I love the outro solo for Mr. Crowley too....

Old 2006-04-15, 10:43
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Teacher: What you wanna learn
Me: Death metal
Teacher: Yeah great if the class wants to play powerchords for the rest of the term

"Its just noise"
"Can't understand it"
"Takes no skill"
"No groove or melody"

same shit

Old 2006-04-15, 13:37
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
ive actualy heard that one before.

Dimebag was shot four times in the face at point blank. He did'nt survive because THERE WAS NO FUCKING FACE LEFT. That does piss me off.

Old 2006-04-15, 14:06
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertonshfits

EDIT2: Also, not so much about metal, but music in gerenal, but I hate it when people say "Ya I listen to a bit of everything" and you look at theyre playlist and its all rap and Emo.

I hate it when people say that. It is probably the most ignorant statement they can make. This one guy on the other forum said something like "I like Metallica, Greenday, Slipknot, Korn, SOAD, pretty much just all music in general."

Quote:

Old 2006-04-15, 15:39
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Dimebag was shot four times in the face at point blank. He did'nt survive because THERE WAS NO FUCKING FACE LEFT. That does piss me off.

fuck, if anyone told me that, I'd crack them right in the fucking face, that would piss me off.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-04-16, 01:27
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:

It's a shame that people like that exist. Especially with that Dime comment. I hate little wiggers who think the music they listen to is the shit.

Quote:

Old 2006-04-16, 02:34
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

I hate little wiggers, period.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-04-16, 07:20
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Even as a metalhead I can still appeciate the heart that rap musicians have given to the world. No matter the music you make, is it not the heart and soul you put into it that makes it worth hearing?

It is just ignorant to compare who got shot and died and what music they played. I'm betting that $0.50 wasn't attacked at near point blank range by a trained ex Marine that was tought how to kill fast and efficiently. Poor Dime didn't stand a chance. No one would have at that moment.

Old 2006-04-16, 14:26
JOAMdude
Post-whore

R.I.P

Take this moment of silence

Old 2006-04-16, 17:53
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Even as a metalhead I can still appeciate the heart that rap musicians have given to the world. No matter the music you make, is it not the heart and soul you put into it that makes it worth hearing?

It is just ignorant to compare who got shot and died and what music they played. I'm betting that $0.50 wasn't attacked at near point blank range by a trained ex Marine that was tought how to kill fast and efficiently. Poor Dime didn't stand a chance. No one would have at that moment.

Even though rap is my least favorite genre of music, you're right about how they put their heart and soul into it. It's mainly the fans of rap I can't stand...

... well actually, come to think of it, I can't stand any extreme fans of any genre of music. The minds of these people are more narrow than an obese man's arteries. They can't open their minds for a second. It's like they think if you appreciate a specific genre alot, you have to be loyal to it or something. Even people who are extreme fans of bands or rap groups, who are even labeled for liking them, like maggots or juggalos. Something I heard in St. Louis; they don't play music from ICP because a bunch of crazy "juggalo" kids attacked this radio station dude who bashed them on the radio. Because of a bunch of kids who can't stand other people's opinions, ICP apparently isn't aired on the radio here. Not that it's a big loss, but still. Kind of ridiculous.

Quote:

Old 2006-04-16, 17:57
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Most of those rappers fucking ask for it. Look at the lifestyle they whore out to make money. Of course its going to get too serious.

Metal is just so taxing compared to other genres. The vocallist HAS to throw every ounce of energy outward, and direct it all correctly. Guitarists have to have amazing dexterity and precision, and a fuckin huge knowledge of their instrument. Drummers are just fuckin amazing, the difference between casual drumming and metal drumming is sooo fuckin far apart.

I think I love metal so much because it can be both beautiful, and it can be pure channelled aggression.

I totally agree with you there. Many rappers used to previously or still have a connection in one way or another to gangs. And once you're in you can never get out. Then when they make all that money they do they flaunt it around like assholes. Plus they probably make so many enemies with the way they live,like you said, that they end up getting killed for stupid reasons.
I also agree with waht Soulinsane said. I do appreciate how some,but not all rappers put their heart into writing their lyrics and such. But even though i appreciate it, it doesn't mean i have to enjoy listening to their music which some people just cant understand. I just hate it when people talk shit about metal and when i talk shit about the music they like they call me an asshole for speaking the truth about how much more skill it takes to play metal than all that pop punk,emo,etc.
RIP Dime

Last edited by ThornsOfHeaven200 : 2006-04-16 at 18:11.

Old 2006-04-17, 04:54
Frozen Soul
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
I hate it when people say that. It is probably the most ignorant statement they can make. This one guy on the other forum said something like "I like Metallica, Greenday, Slipknot, Korn, SOAD, pretty much just all music in general."

I know two people who like just about anything as long as it is interesting and has alot of talent into it. Reggae, Metal, Blues, Progressive rock, Classic rock, Psychadelic, Ambient, Doom, etc. but they are exceptions.

The stupidest thing I have ever heard is someone telling me Opeth is better than metal. Opeth is metal, and second of all Jason Becker, who is also metal wipes the floor with anyone, period, and he played shred which is a cousin of metal.

I also get annoyed by the people who shit talk black metal and don't have any idea what it's actually about. Black metal was created in a scene where egos revolving around musicianship were almost non existant, and the musicians strived to sound dark, brutal, and aggressive.
Technicality was not nearly as important as darkness. And the thing is, alot of people don't know where to begin if they wanted to sound truely dark, depressive, and haunting. Black metal doesn't have to be complicated blasturbation to be good music, black metal has to sound dark.

Old 2006-04-17, 06:15
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

When people associate metal with evil. Especially when its totally irrelavent content in the music. (Nile for example.) Also, when people just music on ONLY the vocal content/lyrics. Or when people just music by its label (Example, a [person] dissaproving, before listening to, a jazz or blues song. Just because its a jazz or blues song.)

NECROTIC

Last edited by Zertonshfits : 2006-04-17 at 06:17.

Old 2006-04-17, 06:23
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Soul
I also get annoyed by the people who shit talk black metal and don't have any idea what it's actually about. Black metal was created in a scene where egos revolving around musicianship were almost non existant, and the musicians strived to sound dark, brutal, and aggressive.

Black metal was created by a bunch of bored Norwegian townsfolk. Who got tired of fishing and fucking each other's girlfriends, and strived to sound dark, brutal, and aggressive.

The dumbest thing is people having an immediate connection in their minds that metal=satan.

Old 2006-04-17, 06:27
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
st thing is people having an immediate connection in their minds that metal=satan.

Look up... yes.

NECROTIC

Old 2006-04-17, 11:16
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

A dude who plays country said to me once "metal guiarists have to hide behind distortion".
Another dude said Cynic were shit i should listen to slipknot. I felt like killing him.

Old 2006-04-17, 11:19
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

"I like your music, it's evil and depressing" - my fat proto-goth sister. I was listening to Soilwork.

"Metal? Do you go to The Depo? (local emo club)"

A couple of years ago when I walked into a classroom in a Burzum shirt two people behind me went GRAAAHRHARHARGAHRGHARGA DEFDTH METUHLLLLL SATANAAANTNANSATANANANNTANATNANTNANTNTNNANSNANANNNTANNSNNATN!!!!111!666!1 I forget what else they said.
Not to me, but to others -

Guy: I host a radio show that plays underground black metal once a week

Teacher: Is that like Metallica?

"Death metal? Avril Lavigne did a death metal song" - refering to her cover of Chop Suey by System Of A Down.

Old 2006-04-17, 11:19
John Holland
Banned

Chicken pickers have to hide behind compression. Tell him that.

Old 2006-04-17, 11:25
metal_monkey
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
"Death metal? Avril Lavigne did a death metal song" - refering to her cover of Chop Suey by System Of A Down.

WHAT THE FUCK did you beat that person for being a complete dipshit

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-04-17, 19:24
Frozen Soul
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Black metal was created by a bunch of bored Norwegian townsfolk. Who got tired of fishing and fucking each other's girlfriends, and strived to sound dark, brutal, and aggressive.

The dumbest thing is people having an immediate connection in their minds that metal=satan.

I'm guessing they burned down churches because they were bored too huh? You have to admit that there was a dark and evil verisimilitude present with these Norwegian townsfolk. Even though Darkthrone were nothing but some Norwegian hippys who happened to enjoy punk and metal. And most of them started out as teenagers who just happened to have stumbled upon a Bathory album.

Old 2006-04-18, 02:00
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson

That's really a disgusting quote. Who said that?

Quote:

Old 2006-04-18, 02:17
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I talked to my friend yesterday.. he said two things that have already been said in this thread probably.. "you can't even understand what they are saying".. "rap has more emotion and feeling".. and my favortie.. "anyone can do that.. GRRROWWLLL!!" The worst imitation of Muhammed's voice ever..

so I pull out some guitar tabs and shove it in his face.. and at this point he goes " whatever.. it's all stupid to me.. it's just music"..

sad

Old 2006-04-18, 02:19
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

lmao

he owned himself hard with that last statement.

Old 2006-04-18, 11:32
John Holland
Banned

One of the prevalent notions in Trinity Broadcasting Network Bible Belt christianity is that if someone listens to metal, then Satan came out of the speakers, opened their head like a plastic hinged easter egg, corrupted their mind, closed it back up and like a zombie the person goes and axe-murders someone. This is what happens every time someone kills themself or someone else when the person happens to like metal ( or just hard rock in general ), according to many christians I've talked to ( or those who talked to me without me initiating anything ).

Well, what about that church lady that just recently murdered her pastoral husband because there was 'something evil in that house' ? What about the 40 year old who shot a 60 year old's face off because he did'nt believe in God?

"Oh, those people are just crazy".

That is a fucking slap in the face to the friends and family of the kids who killed themselves listening to Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, Slipknot, whatever. Those bands and artists were demonized and sought after in court, despite their issuing apologies for something they did'nt even do, and trying to raise awareness that its a legitimate fantastic medium of art, like theater or literature, and that if you take any of it literally, then you need to get help! Its extremely disrespectful to say that these kids did'nt have problems, that they did'nt need help, that a few bands are what's to blame for their failing elementary school, for their being abused as young children, for their social rejections. That 'Satan' was causing it, and the people who commit murders from reading the Old Testament happen to have legitimate psychosi.

Me = just thinking about it.

Old 2006-04-18, 12:23
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

HOLY FUCK!

BC is BACK!

get your ass over to the drum section NOW!

Old 2006-04-18, 17:02
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

"Ya Mum"

Old 2006-04-19, 18:40
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

stupid comments

on the technicality of metal (in reference to necrophagist's "stabwound" from another "musician" none the less) "all these guys do is play fast anyone can do that .just because you can play faster doesnt mean you can play better".
also, you know how people will yell out the name of the band their seeing? "torture killer!!woooooooo!!!" well some shit faced girl who clearly was not there to see the absence, just yelled out "wooo!!! heavy metal!!!"