Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2006-04-14, 17:47
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Of course. Record sales are always a guarantee of top quality music. We should not argue about the virtue of music if it sells.

Hey, "Bad Day" has been a parade number of mine at parties... what? What are you looking at?

Death metal gains endlessly as a genre because of technicality and as for me, it would have one fan less if weren't for that. It is fascinating to both see and hear how presumably un-melodic and un-harmonizing pieces are put together and form something with at least the potential of actually being original. AND good-sounding; now we're getting somewhere.
But on top of that, the real intensity of DM is not found in any single aspect, but more in the contrast between these tools that we, after long and rigourous training and sneaky whining like e.g. this sentence, have at our disposal.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2006-04-15, 15:05
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Jack tended to write slower songs with more of a traditional songwriting focus. Pat tends to write as technical as he can. Alex is a pretty happy medium, and tends to come up with riffs that mutate in unexpected ways that are facilitated by his technical ability. To me he's as much of an argument for technicality as Pat is an argument against it, despite the fact that they both seem to talk about it in the same way. Presumably the difference comes from Alex writing a lot of songs before CC were a particularly technical band and Pat never having written a song, as far as I can tell, without a mantra of technicality in mind.

Anyway, the reason CC are still recognizable as themselves is Alex, and it's similarly the reason why there are always going to be some good songs on a CC album.
Old 2006-04-15, 15:14
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to walpurgis Send a message via AIM to walpurgis Send a message via MSN to walpurgis
I see what you're saying with that. And yeah, pretty much all of the songs that I like the most off of the Wretched Spawn were written by Alex or Jack...

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.
Old 2006-04-16, 04:42
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Alex wrote the best CC songs; but as a hardcore musician, I love Frantic Disembowlment. I also seem to be one of those odd ones out--i.e., I like Old Man's Child, Spawn of Possession, and Kalmah (I don't think I know anyone who likes those bands as much as they may like oh say Dimmu Borgir, Necrophaigst, and Children of Bodom).
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2006-04-16 at 04:45.
Old 2006-04-16, 05:21
Life is pain.
Banned

Yes, you are very, very unique. I make that judgement being a hardcore musician myself.
Old 2006-04-16, 19:35
Forum Leader

Except that I doubt you have formal training in music.

Wally, I listened to the Duat and it's not fast at all.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
Old 2006-04-16, 20:07
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Send a message via ICQ to walpurgis Send a message via AIM to walpurgis Send a message via MSN to walpurgis
The hammers and pulloffs are pretty fast... and you're probably better than me anyway.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.
Old 2006-04-16, 22:02
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I don't know Kalmah, but I prefer Old Man's Child to Dimmu Borgir and actually like Spawn of Possession, at least somewhat.

The fact that you felt the need to say 'as a hardcore musician' before saying 'I love Frantic Disembowlment' speaks volumes.
Old 2006-04-16, 23:35
Post-whore

My first priority is that the music sounds good. The technicality comes afterwards, but in many cases, technicality means good music. Cause if the person writing it bothered enough to come up with technical riffs, chances are he wasn't lazy in composing the whole song in the big picture either.

I like technicality if it's subtle, not utterly fucking ridiculous. I mean Necrophagist are great, I've been into them for 3 years but I honestly can't say I've listened to them in a long time because the technicality is just too excessive and unlistenable. Morbid Angel are technical, not as much, and make much more enjoyable music.

I like music that I don't have to be a friggin jazz nut to understand, but is technical enough for me to leave me thinking. But hell, I like political grindcore and thrash metal too, so the meaning and feel in the end is all that counts.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-04-16 at 23:37.
Old 2006-04-17, 09:07
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
...the fact that you felt the need to say 'as a hardcore musician' before saying 'I love Frantic Disembowlment' speaks volumes.

Yup. Explaining it would have looked like a dissertation.

This is my band's page