MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-04-09, 13:50
zaksriffer
New Blood

AGGRESSIVE PROBS

hey all...after about 3 or 4 hours of singing aggressively my throat is really sore n i can't sing anymore..its all coming from the back of the throat.is this normal or am i doing something wrong..cheers

Old 2006-04-09, 14:35
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

If you're singing aggressively for more than three hours, I think something would be wrong if you didn't start to lose your voice. Just give it a rest and in a day or two you should be back to normal. Build up your strength by using that aggression in moderation. Don't push three or four hours every day, or even every week. Not yet. Just work it up until you can. If it starts to get sore and lose its edge, take a break until you feel back up to speed. But if you're worried that something is terribly wrong with your vocal cords or something, nah, they should be fine, just a little too much straining.

Old 2006-04-09, 15:12
zaksriffer
New Blood

cheers for that..the band is just rehearsing a lot, 2 times a week for about 3 or 4 hrs at a time which is easier for them than me i guess..i try to moderate the agression more until i get used to it.

Old 2006-04-09, 20:36
darkexodite
New Blood

Do you use mostly your throat or your diafragm (gut)? I reherse at least once or twise a week for three hours, and i have no problems. I do warm up before I do though, it's always good to warm your voice up and practice some of those harder notes for you before you actualy start rehersing with the rest of the band. Also, keep drinking water, all the time, during rehersals.

Old 2006-04-10, 02:15
Mapex7string
Senior Metalhead

my throat is scratchy as fuck feeling right now from practice, its definataly natural, aaha. Proper technique and shit is going to help of course, but going past two hours, its bound to happen, when you get that raw feeling though usualy after a day or two your vox should improve quite a bit. Sort of like working out maby

Old 2006-04-10, 11:54
Young Drummer
Metalhead

i find it takes me longer to hurt my throat because iv been doing stupid voices my whole life so my throat is normaly odd like that.

Old 2006-04-10, 15:17
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drummer
i find it takes me longer to hurt my throat because iv been doing stupid voices my whole life so my throat is normaly odd like that.

Haha, me too. I've trained it over the years to make just about any sound or voice possible. It's mostly for comedic effect, but I think it does help me obtain whatever vocal style I'm looking for and not get too rusted out. So that could be another recommendation. You don't really have to do cartoon or character voices, but just stretch your voice and experiment with it. It'll help the flow of things.

Old 2006-04-10, 16:43
Young Drummer
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpayne
Haha, me too. I've trained it over the years to make just about any sound or voice possible. It's mostly for comedic effect, but I think it does help me obtain whatever vocal style I'm looking for and not get too rusted out. So that could be another recommendation. You don't really have to do cartoon or character voices, but just stretch your voice and experiment with it. It'll help the flow of things.

you and i must have been the class clowns in school right?

Old 2006-04-10, 17:40
zaksriffer
New Blood

i used to sing and play guitar but gave up the guitar to concentrate on singing, boy what a difference in my vocals almost straight away but im still finding my feet so to speak and im now doing more challenging songs vocally so all the advice is great thanks..im constantly drinking water in rehearsals and countless packets of extra strong mints and proctors pastels lol.. cartoon vocals lol i do a mean scooby doo..does that count

Old 2006-04-10, 22:35
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

I don't usually have a problem with that, I haven't been growling all too long either. Although it does hurt when I do exhaled regular growls followed by an inhale, it puts really bad pressure on my temples. But yeah like said before, 3,4 hours, it's normal to hurt.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-04-12, 19:13
Mapex7string
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drummer
you and i must have been the class clowns in school right?

thats pretty funny, ive always done the same shit

Old 2006-04-14, 01:25
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksriffer
cheers for that..the band is just rehearsing a lot, 2 times a week for about 3 or 4 hrs at a time which is easier for them than me i guess..i try to moderate the agression more until i get used to it.

Suggestion: Might not be possible, but practice for 1-1.5 hours 3-4 times a week. Guarantee you wont have that problem anymore.

Old 2006-04-14, 14:04
zaksriffer
New Blood

yeah i thought about that but you're right its just not practical as studio time is pretty hard to get anyway,,and a lack of places to rehearse doesn't give much scope for choice..

Old 2006-04-21, 21:40
Young Drummer
Metalhead

i just practice on the way to school with neil and in class and it gets you good stamina