MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2002-08-20, 02:22
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

listening to the radio and............

well i just wanna say this, i know im gonna get bashed for it though..........

i was listening to the radio and Awake by Godsmack came on, it was the first time i listened to the song all the way through. i didn't really like the song that much, it was ok. my point is, i think that they are by no means at all a nu-metal band. it was a solid song. it had a a cool solo too. after hearing that and the other Godsmack songs I've heard i came to the conclusion that i am not a fan of them, but they are just as "metal", as any of the bands on this site. hell, many bands here are softer than them....... so im curious if anyone can explain to me why they are considered nu metal. is it just because their popular?

by the way... i wanna get some responses here so mods, please dont get close this thread just because its about a band that people consider nu metal.........

if you have any bashing to do PM me, dont make this thread a flame war cause i wanna here everyone's opinion.....

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-08-20, 02:39
warnerve92

Your right their not really 'nu metal' as in 7 Strings and DJ's and shit, but there songs are fairly boring.

Old 2002-08-20, 02:44
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by warnerve92
Your right their not really 'nu metal' as in 7 Strings and DJ's and shit, but there songs are fairly boring.

i find many bands on this site to have boring songs.....but they are still metal, just like godsmack.

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-08-20, 04:50
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

well i personally think that a band is not really metal if they don't use double kick, and if they're riffs aren't somewhat technical.

Old 2002-08-20, 04:56
slayme_returns
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

godsmack are by today's standards, metal. are they a good band? no. do they write good music? no. do i give a fuck? no.

Old 2002-08-20, 05:13
morbid_death

Godsmack are still one of the view bands i still like from my shit metal phase many years ago. Sully has got a killer voice and i dont care wat anyone says, they are in no way nu-metal. they appear to me more as a hard-fucking-ball-tearing rock band due to the simplicity and music structure.

Old 2002-08-20, 18:30
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by atifman
well i personally think that a band is not really metal if they don't use double kick, and if they're riffs aren't somewhat technical.

Lol the hardcore punk band AFI use double bass drum..double bass drum isnt all about metal all the time some punk bands use them

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2002-08-20, 18:47
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Godsmack and Creed are total Alice in Chains rip-offs, that's why I don't like em, reason one. Scott Stapp makes me want to kill christians (like the Deicide song ), reason two. Tony Rombola's "solos" usually consist of him tremolo picking one note while gradually depressing a wah pedal, reason three. They both get really boring to listen to, reason four.

I liked both bands a while back, and the only reason I brought up Creed was for my first and second reasons.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-08-20, 18:55
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

When i think of Godsmack i think of nu-metal.

Not the rap-metal crap......but just straight out normal old school nu-metal. (not really that old though.....) They're riffs are quite simple, they downtune to try and mask the fact that the riffs suck ass. The solos are shit, i can fake a better solo on my guitar and i'm horrible at them. Some of their songs sound strikingly similar and don't really offer much variety. Here's the usual godsmack, or any nu-metal band song:
intro - verse (which is still the intro, but with drums now) - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - verse (withoiut drums) - chorus - outro (which is still intro...many bands skip this and end at the chorus)
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2002-08-20, 19:03
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch

intro - verse (which is still the intro, but with drums now) - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - verse (withoiut drums) - chorus - outro (which is still intro...many bands skip this and end at the chorus)

many bands take this tructure though, i know the guitarist does use wah to make his solos sound better, but doesnt mortician use a pedal on their voice? i know many of you think they(mortician) suck, but they are on this site so they must be metal then....

also, the riffs may be simple, but once again, many bands have songs like that....

i dont think nu metal should be defined by pedal use or complexity of riffs.....

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-08-20, 22:01
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by tatter3d

Lol the hardcore punk band AFI use double bass drum..double bass drum isnt all about metal all the time some punk bands use them

f'real? one of the only reasons i don't listen to punk is because thier lack of double bass drum and solos. which good punk bands use them?

Old 2002-08-21, 00:10
morbid_death

dude, lots of bands use dbl kicks and duel-bass drums

Old 2002-08-21, 07:11
warnerve92

Black Sabbath don't use double kick.........