MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2002-08-20, 00:45
digimortal545
New Blood

Tips on writing a guitar solo! Im trying to write a guitar solo for one of my songs.

As i said, im trying to write a solo for one of my songs. and its really hard. i know it would sound better in the same key as the riffs and shit, but its just hard. i dont want it to be really fast and really high, just like a basic solo. any tips?

Old 2002-08-20, 04:13
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

bends and vibratos always are good for solos.

when i write a solo i pick and emotion that im trying to get, then i go from there.

i try to give emotions to other bands solos to help me identify what im trying to do.

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-08-20, 04:22
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

use the notes of the same octaves of the notes of the riffs you wrote.

and just let it flow man, just write what you feel.

why don't you do like a little brainstorming session. if you have a tape player that records, record the background riff onto one tape. play the tape, and try to improvise a solo over it, with whatever you feel and try to remember what you played later (of if you have 2 tape players record the solo). you'll get plenty of emotion into your solo this way. and just keep brainstorming, later if you recorded it, you could listen to it and pick out the best licks to make a good solo.

and look closely at what other guitarists do in their solos.

Old 2002-08-20, 17:40
Becker rules
Senior Metalhead

Theres no right way to write a solo, but as a general rule start low and slow and finish high and fast, ie its no good ve your 15 note a second arpeggio at the beginning and slowing down. Here is 1 way I go about approaching writing solos and you probably think its nuts but it does work,

first write another verse of lyrics where you are going to solo
then record yourself singing it,

next sit down and figure out how to play what you would sing over it this takes time and can really get annoying but its worth it,

finally expand on the last few licks cause your not gonna be abl to play as fast as you can sing so maybe put fills in between the "words" that you can already play

And there you will usually have an ultra melodic solo which is pleasing on the ear.

Old 2002-08-21, 02:02
Vrle
New Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Becker rules
first write another verse of lyrics where you are going to solo
then record yourself singing it,

next sit down and figure out how to play what you would sing over it this takes time and can really get annoying but its worth it,

finally expand on the last few licks cause your not gonna be abl to play as fast as you can sing so maybe put fills in between the "words" that you can already play

And there you will usually have an ultra melodic solo which is pleasing on the ear.

That is one excellent idea !!!!!
It happened to me a thousand times that I sang the bestest solos on the way to my home and when I'm back I can't recall a thing. Taperecorders are the greatest things !!!

Old 2002-08-21, 04:11
morbid_death

just play a minor scale in the same key

Old 2002-08-21, 04:17
Clad in Shadows
Senior Metalhead

memorize the g major scale up and down... that will get you started

Old 2002-08-21, 05:08
alexguitargodbu
Senior Metalhead

make sure you know what your doing.
first of all, you should know good scales and shit. My favourite scale is the A harmonic minor. its sik. Also, you should know how to write music so that you have it written down. its worthless to just put out on tab. this is becuz tab doesnt show proper counting. i just made up a cool solo out of the A harmonic minor. its mostly fast runs so all I did was felt wat was in my gut and started ripping my fingers off!
Also, lots of people dont know this, if you want to use a certain scale like lets say C major, you should start on the C note, otherwise its in a different mode and ittl turn out o be a different scale like G minor or something.

But, if you want to make a no good punk solo, forget everything I said.

Old 2005-10-22, 16:29
With pungency
New Blood

Quote:
Theres no right way to write a solo, but as a general rule start low and slow and finish high and fast, ie its no good ve your 15 note a second arpeggio at the beginning and slowing down. Here is 1 way I go about approaching writing solos and you probably think its nuts but it does work,

I don't know... if you want your solos to be something nobody has ever heard before, just play whatever the hell you want, but make the solo fit with the song. Be inventive. Let that true feeling out. Try smoking

Old 2005-10-22, 17:31
Soeru
Post-whore

Coming up with melodies to layer on top of something is not hard at all, you just need to sit back, listen, relax and have your guitar handy. I suggest starting doing improvisations over simple chord progressions. Like... make a riff that consists of 4 chords played over and over, and for each chord come up with a lick.

I work at a store and I had to set up some stuff in the cooler(where you grab sodas and shit), and even the hum of the cooling machine helped me come up with this really kick ass folky/celtic-style melody. In my head of course, so I forgot, but I remember it was really cool....

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-10-22, 17:35
k13m
Post-whore

do u improvise alot??

i mean, i dotn write music, or solos, but i do improvise al the time.

i take, say a harmonic minor scale in D or whatever u want, and i just play in that scale, ive done that for maybe 1 month or so, and its getting better and better, u find some things out that sound cool,etcetetc

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-10-22, 18:27
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

no use replying to an post thats 3 years old
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-10-22, 20:20
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
do u improvise alot??

i mean, i dotn write music, or solos, but i do improvise al the time.

i take, say a harmonic minor scale in D or whatever u want, and i just play in that scale, ive done that for maybe 1 month or so, and its getting better and better, u find some things out that sound cool,etcetetc

exactly what i do, great excersise

especially if you have someone to play rythms
yes its a gay project, and no im not in special needs class.

Old 2008-11-21, 02:41
geoff95
New Blood
Banned

Talking do this

im 13 and i have a christian band and when i am writing a solo for one of my songs for my band i try do do it with emotion and confidence. what you do is grab your guitar and a pen and paper and just start writing. but make sure it goes along with the song. allot of the times the greatest solos are just a bunch of licks put together.

Old 2008-11-21, 11:26
St.Nice Person
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff95
im 13 and i have a christian band and when i am writing a solo for one of my songs for my band i try do do it with emotion and confidence. what you do is grab your guitar and a pen and paper and just start writing. but make sure it goes along with the song. allot of the times the greatest solos are just a bunch of licks put together.

Jesus helps me write my solo's.

Old 2008-12-04, 13:19
flowmytears
New Blood

dont worry so much about writing in a certain scale, just write what sounds good. your ears will pick out the notes that don't fit

Old 2008-12-12, 02:33
viewer_from_nihil
New Blood

when i write solos, i'll usually just come up with a cool lick that fits the music and base the rest of the solo around that

^my band, you should listen, you won't be disappointed^

Old 2009-04-21, 08:01
death walking terror
New Blood

If you're out of ideas, record the part you're soloing over and listen to it over and over, and try do a "improvisation in your head". You can improvise on guitar to, but then you're limited to the scales you know and how you usually do phrasing etc...

You can combine those ideas with scale-runs you've come up with, licks you've made, ideas for unusual scalechoices, rythmic ideas, anything...

About scales: If you have a powerchord chord-progression in Em, you don't have to play e natural minor the whole time. As long as you use a scale that containes the 1. and 5. of the chord you're playing over, you can pretty much do what you want to .If you're in Em, you could for example switch to D harmonic minor when you're playing over a Apowerchord... that's just one example

Last edited by death walking terror : 2009-04-21 at 08:36.