MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2006-11-27, 09:53
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
I dont have a AN or TZ, but I have the X2N in bridge position of my guitar. It sounds really killer. You should at least try it and if you dont like it you could always swap it out and sell it. Im planning on getting a PAF Pro and matching it up with the X2N in the future BTW.
Old 2006-11-27, 16:48
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Im planning on getting a PAF Pro and matching it up with the X2N in the future BTW.

That's my current setup in my Ibanez. You will love that combo. The PAF Pro really pulls out some smooth cleans. I also like the sound when you throw some distortion on it, it gets that's cool tight lead sound.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2006-11-27, 22:47
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to mctriple
Yeah I'm thinkin that I'll probably go ahead and get an X2N soon. Maybe after christmas, depending on how much cash I get. I really like my TZ at the bridge, but I've heard a few people say that it's killer at the neck, and I'd like to try it there. Might as well take the opportunity to get an X2N at the bridge while I'm moving my TZ (don't really want TZ+TZ).
Line6 PODxt
Old 2006-11-28, 09:17
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
That's my current setup in my Ibanez. You will love that combo. The PAF Pro really pulls out some smooth cleans. I also like the sound when you throw some distortion on it, it gets that's cool tight lead sound.

Cool, man. That's exactly why I want that combo of pickups. The PAF Pro for cleans and awesome leads and sweeps, and the X2N for relentless metal brutality!
Old 2006-12-06, 13:34
New Blood

I have 2 questions regarding DiMarzios. I am currently using an ESP/ltd. F400FM (mahogany with flame maple top) with an X2N in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck.

First off, I was wondering if anyone know what were the differences in characteristics between the X2N and the MegaDrive. I definatly dig the X2N, but the MegaDrive sounded like an interesting idea to try out. However, you have to have it special ordered from DiMarzio to get it, so trying it out would be diffucult. Only sound I know I've heard it on is older Slayer. I play Tech-ish Thrash in standard E mostly (though I mix it up with some Prog influences), and an idea of the tone I like is the one found in Sabbat's "Dreamweaver" album. But I like to have my chords heard, as I mix it up a bit from the usual power chords.

Second, I have been seeing rave reviews for the PAF Pro in the neck in this thread. I use the Humbucker From Hell in the neck mostly for clean tones (I also have a coil splitter put in, so when its split, it sounds practically acoustic). But I was wondering how the cleans sound with the PAF, since apparently for solos and sweeps, it sounds amazing. So I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to switch out the Humbucker From Hell for a PAF Pro?
Old 2006-12-06, 15:47
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break Zero
I have 2 questions regarding DiMarzios. I am currently using an ESP/ltd. F400FM (mahogany with flame maple top) with an X2N in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck.

First off, I was wondering if anyone know what were the differences in characteristics between the X2N and the MegaDrive. I definatly dig the X2N, but the MegaDrive sounded like an interesting idea to try out. However, you have to have it special ordered from DiMarzio to get it, so trying it out would be diffucult. Only sound I know I've heard it on is older Slayer. I play Tech-ish Thrash in standard E mostly (though I mix it up with some Prog influences), and an idea of the tone I like is the one found in Sabbat's "Dreamweaver" album. But I like to have my chords heard, as I mix it up a bit from the usual power chords.

Second, I have been seeing rave reviews for the PAF Pro in the neck in this thread. I use the Humbucker From Hell in the neck mostly for clean tones (I also have a coil splitter put in, so when its split, it sounds practically acoustic). But I was wondering how the cleans sound with the PAF, since apparently for solos and sweeps, it sounds amazing. So I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to switch out the Humbucker From Hell for a PAF Pro?

i've never heard of a megadrive so i cant help you there...

but heres the deal, gibson invented the P.A.F. as the first hum cancelling pickup to put out a competition against all the other pickup builders at the time who only built single coils. Now, at this time, in the early 60's, distortion was widely considered a "bad thing", and generally people liked to avoid it, so the pickups were therefore pretty low gain (especially compared to pickups these days). It was BUILT for cleans, so its sexy for cleans basically.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2006-12-19, 02:43
Senior Metalhead

Grinding Rhythms: Which Pickup?

I need some new pickups for my Neck-through NJ Warlock (I think it's mahogany). I've already got a guitar with an X2N, and I want a somewhat lower output but still powerful grinding sound (going for something between Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse). Has anyone tried to play grind/death with the following pickups?

Possibilities:
Evolution: I like the screaming-ness, but I'm afraid it won't hold it's own in the chunky grind department
Tone Zone: Sweet Mids could give the grind with great tone, but the samples on the Dimarzio site sound so smooth and not gritty at all.
Super 3 and D-Sonic: These sounded generally good in soundclips, but didn't really jump out at me the way Evolution and Tone Zone did.
Old 2006-12-19, 07:28
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalAltar
I need some new pickups for my Neck-through NJ Warlock (I think it's mahogany). I've already got a guitar with an X2N, and I want a somewhat lower output but still powerful grinding sound (going for something between Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse). Has anyone tried to play grind/death with the following pickups?

Possibilities:
Evolution: I like the screaming-ness, but I'm afraid it won't hold it's own in the chunky grind department
Tone Zone: Sweet Mids could give the grind with great tone, but the samples on the Dimarzio site sound so smooth and not gritty at all.
Super 3 and D-Sonic: These sounded generally good in soundclips, but didn't really jump out at me the way Evolution and Tone Zone did.

if you want to sound like shit, buy a super 3. They are PURE fucking mud... its terrible... no trebel = no clarity. And the D-sonic... linkin park uses that... i think thats all you need to hear. Tone zone is a good choice, nice high output, everybody i know wants to make sweet love to that pickup, too bad it doesnt have a vagina. My personal reccomendation: a Super 2, a super distortion, or a seymor duncan JB or Custom. I use the super 2, and i can get heavy ass yet incredibly clear tones... Super distortion is just like the super 2 but more bassy. Duncan JB... used by many players including arch enemy's michael amott, he has fairly good tone does he not? And the Custom, used by Mark Morton in Lamb of God, with the increased bass and trebel and warmth, you can get some punchy ass tone out of that. I dont know anything about the evolution, all i know is its a lower output pickup... wait for more advice from other people.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2006-12-19, 10:58
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via MSN to problematic
Quote:

Possibilities:

Well, either Dimarzio or SD are the companies you should be concentrating on (and it looks like you are).

If you're willing to spend big, The Lundgren M models (M6 or M7.. depending on strings) are EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Here's a link, but I'm warning you, just the one bridge pickup will steal about $300 US from you... http://www.lundgren.se/index.asp?folid=22&micid=92 ...The price there says 159EU.

I hear they are serious great, and by your description, sounds like a match made in heaven.

Anyhow If you're not willing to spend that much I would reccomend and SD pickup, not the Invader, but maybe something like the Custom, Distortion, or JB. Also depends on your amp. Mahogany is a great wood for pickups such as the JB... not that much gain but the wood will resonate it like a cunt and give it shittons of balls. Also versatile as fuck.

But don't worry... *insert name here* will be here in a jiffy, persuading you on the evolution.

So, my conclusion is Lundgren M6 if you're willing to spend big (usually for a worthwhile guitar). I think Warlocks are gay, so I wouldn't. But that's just me.
I forsee you buying the evo.
Old 2006-12-19, 17:54
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Mahogany bodies generally have tons of low end. If you add pickups without enough higher frequencies it will get very muddy. Evo's are amazing pickups, but not what I would put in a Mahogany body.
Super 2's would be my bet. Like Problematic said, if you got the dough, go balls out and get a Lundgren
Old 2006-12-20, 20:22
Senior Metalhead

Thanks for the input. That's funny that you say you wouldn't put an Evo into a mahogany body, since I was afraid it would be too thin sounding (the thought of mud from an Evo never entered my mind). I still might go for the Evo, but from all your comments it seems like a supersmooth non-trebly pickup like the Tone Zone might not be the thing for chunky grind.

Cheers

As for the warlock being gay, me and my warlock (aka Capt. Foofy) dont care what you think.
Old 2006-12-23, 20:25
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
As for the warlock being gay, me and my warlock (aka Capt. Foofy) dont care what you think.

Old 2006-12-24, 02:03
Post-whore

I used to listen to Metaillica and Bodom and Megadeth, and i got an EMG put in, but it sounds kind of dry and cold. I have an Ibanez RG3 EX1, not sure what the wood is. But i don't care for any punchy mid-heavy tone, i just need something warmer, ESEPCIALLY for sto n e r d o o m. The bands i listen too are in theavatar but i don't want hate eternal or cryptopsy tone, it's too cold
Old 2006-12-28, 16:03
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Heavy Jerk
So I want to pimp my cheap, but sweet gtr...
...by putting good bridge hot pup. My first choice was Di Marzio x2n, but as distributer in my area will get next shipment in march, I can't fucking wait, as I have money and I am will to spend it right NOW.

So, they have DM Super Distortion and Evolution, I mean they have plenty others pups of DMs, but these 2 is what I'm interested in.

Gtr has agathis body( don't try to turn me off for this, it's my first gtr, memories, memories, and I want to pimp it, it plays fuckin good), and sound I'm looking for is not too bassy nor middley nor high, but I want fucking vintage sound, that cuts through mix well. Now, Evo exactly does that, but it has modern sound, and SD has vintage sound but it's a little more bassy. I am looking for some sound not to be brutal like some contemporary bends, I want it to be crisp, full, cutting, dinamic, yet a little raw( note: I am well aware of the fact that my gtr wood ain't jack pot, so concetrate on pups), hints: Death's last album( I know Chuck used x2N, if someone want to sa that), Morbid Angel's Covenant( especially songs like Lion's Den, God and Word of shite) and maybe, just maybe Suffo's Souls to deny in some parts. Evolution or Super Distortion - which of these two pups is closer to that sound, and is better for some death metal( not death metal in a way that u just hear 'hsshshhss')?

EDIT: neck is from maple, rosewood fretboard.

Last edited by Heavy Jerk : 2006-12-28 at 16:05.
Old 2006-12-28, 16:03
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
Anybody know how good a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and a DiMarzio D Sonic in the bridge would sound in a mahogany guitar with ebony fretboard?

Also, would an F-spaced humbucker fit in a fixed bridge guitar?

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-28 at 22:10.
Old 2006-12-29, 12:56
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Also, would an F-spaced humbucker fit in a fixed bridge guitar?

An fspaced would fit in a fixed bridge guitar, but the pole pieces wouldnt be directly under the strings. Ideally a normal, non fspaced pickup would be better. If you look on the Dimarzio website under pickup FAQ they explain it there.
Old 2006-12-30, 03:58
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk
So I want to pimp my cheap, but sweet gtr...
...by putting good bridge hot pup. My first choice was Di Marzio x2n, but as distributer in my area will get next shipment in march, I can't fucking wait, as I have money and I am will to spend it right NOW.

So, they have DM Super Distortion and Evolution, I mean they have plenty others pups of DMs, but these 2 is what I'm interested in.

Gtr has agathis body( don't try to turn me off for this, it's my first gtr, memories, memories, and I want to pimp it, it plays fuckin good), and sound I'm looking for is not too bassy nor middley nor high, but I want fucking vintage sound, that cuts through mix well. Now, Evo exactly does that, but it has modern sound, and SD has vintage sound but it's a little more bassy. I am looking for some sound not to be brutal like some contemporary bends, I want it to be crisp, full, cutting, dinamic, yet a little raw( note: I am well aware of the fact that my gtr wood ain't jack pot, so concetrate on pups), hints: Death's last album( I know Chuck used x2N, if someone want to sa that), Morbid Angel's Covenant( especially songs like Lion's Den, God and Word of shite) and maybe, just maybe Suffo's Souls to deny in some parts. Evolution or Super Distortion - which of these two pups is closer to that sound, and is better for some death metal( not death metal in a way that u just hear 'hsshshhss')?

EDIT: neck is from maple, rosewood fretboard.

Death? Morbid Angel? Suffocation new stuff? What the fuck are you going on about it being vintage? Do you know what vintage is?

Get the evo, and you're set. It also depends a lot on your amp.

Lol, you have a BC Rich don't you?
Old 2006-12-30, 12:40
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Heavy Jerk
Man, if u think I am a horny lil' poser or so u have another thing coming. Yes, Morbids have vintage sound, and Death have it in some parts, in a way that their sound ain't sterile. As for the Suffo, I did mention them because I wanted to say how much tight sound I want to.

No, I don't have BC Rich, I have Ibanez GSA60. I want to pimp it while saving up to 800-900-1000 euros for new( or used) guitar, I don't want to buy guitar like 370 or so, it wouldn't be some sound improvement, wouldn't it? This guitar I have obviously is one of the better pieces of that model, it stays in tune well( I looked down the tremolo - it's useless anyways), sound with stock pups ain't bad at all, it has decent sustain and what is most important - it plays great. I have tried decent ammount of models( from crappy ones to models like of 2000+euros), Ibanez S470 being the latest, in stores and through friends; for ex. S470 - what I have to say for the guitar of 800euros - it should be lot more great feel with it, simply I didn't feel any great feeling with it. It was good, but my 250e guitar have feel like that S has or even better. So, after that latest 'try out' in the store, I finally decided to not be hasty and not to buy some little more expensive model than my old guitar already is.
Old 2007-01-02, 15:21
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
I thin it's time to change my pickups. I've decided I want dimarzio, but I'm not totally sure which one. Is Tone Zone good for metal (but not death metal)? I think I'm going to try to nab an air norton on ebay, theres one I might be able to get for like $20 total, that would leave just a bridge pickup to get, which is where I'm stuck between a Tone Zone or a Super 3.
Old 2007-01-02, 16:44
Post-whore

Yes the Tonezone will do everything including death metal. Might want a slight boost from an EQ pedal if you want it to sound over-the-top like Suffo and stuff though. I'm putting one in my Ironbird with a PAF Pro to replace my EMG 81 85 set in it, and I play mostly death metal. The 81 is then going into my Charvel Model 5 neckthru, on which I'm also putting a slanted EMG single coil in the future(not sure which yet).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)