MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #61  
Old 2006-07-27, 19:45
shredthehead shredthehead is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
hey
i was thinking about putting new pickups im my Epiphone SG this weekend
i was gunna go with the stand ard gibson 57 ones or something
im wondering what a good combonation is
I also heard that you gotta replace a battery in EMG pickups too
but the guy that told me that is a bit of a jackass so iill ask you guys
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 2006-07-28, 01:04
metal_monkey's Avatar
metal_monkey metal_monkey is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,156
yes you do have to change the batteries with EMG pick-ups when they run out
__________________
Quote:
Originall Posted By problematic
Im a quadraplegic.

Youve made me cry


Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 2006-08-21, 00:16
Rohirrim Rohirrim is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
yo i'm changing the pickups in my guitar soon, don't want emgs. i play mainly folk/death/black metal, so something heavy but nothing gay. i'm playing an ibanez RGT42DXFM, and thinking about DiMarzio x2n (bridge) and PAF Pro (Neck), is this what i'm looking for
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 2006-08-21, 03:23
*insert name here*'s Avatar
*insert name here* *insert name here* is offline
Jono
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,761
Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
yes.-
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 2006-08-21, 18:12
Doktorskell Doktorskell is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 439
Need help with pickup suggestions for a guitar.

The guitar is an Ash Body with a maple neck and fingerboard.
It has a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck.

I like Evolutions but will it work in this guitar? Also what Single coil can i put in there to match the Evo?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 2006-08-21, 18:32
deanguitars's Avatar
deanguitars deanguitars is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: virginia
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell
Need help with pickup suggestions for a guitar.

The guitar is an Ash Body with a maple neck and fingerboard.
It has a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck.

I like Evolutions but will it work in this guitar? Also what Single coil can i put in there to match the Evo?

it should work. as for the single coil i would get the malmsteen signature pick up
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 2006-08-21, 19:00
Doktorskell Doktorskell is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 439
I was thinking that too.

The guitar is a Strat Plus by the way. I'm converting it to a Shred/heavy-metal Machine by having it refretted with jumbo frets. and replacing the bridge and neck pickups.

Its going to sound amazing, its allready an amazing sounding guitar but i can tell with these mods it will be great.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 2006-08-21, 19:13
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
If you want it to have more of a scaloped feel, which I have come to understand is good for shredding, try using extra jumbo frets, Dunlop 6150 fretwire I think.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 2006-08-23, 15:09
Mordor's Avatar
Mordor Mordor is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mordor/England
Posts: 1,363
Hey i m looking for a neck pickup for my peavey v type (alder body, maple thru neck), I m searching for a pickup that will give me a nice clear defined tone for distorted solos that won't mud up and it has to have real good cleans.

I ve been looking at the dimarzio paf pro, seymour duncan jazz and the sd 59. Which one do u guys reckon is better? many thanks
__________________
"many a time newcastle brown hath cometh to my rescue" blizzard beast

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 2006-08-23, 15:57
ThornsOfHeaven200 ThornsOfHeaven200 is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to ThornsOfHeaven200
They are all good choices I think, but since I prefer DiMarzio over Duncan, I'd say the PAF Pro.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 2006-08-27, 18:04
Wunderboy Wunderboy is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65
What do you guys think about the Duncan LiveWire Metals? I checked out the website and it says that have really high output. It also says its an 18-volt. That means it requires two 9v batteries one pickup right?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 2006-08-28, 08:54
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
I don't know if anyone here can answer this question really, except the guy that plays for Absence. But does anybody know how good the neck pickups sound on the Caparison horus guitars? The slanted neck minihumbucker pickup?

I'm highly considering getting this guitar, and since i'm nowhere near the supplier of these guitars i can't check the shit out myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 2006-08-28, 10:11
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
Hey i m looking for a neck pickup for my peavey v type (alder body, maple thru neck), I m searching for a pickup that will give me a nice clear defined tone for distorted solos that won't mud up and it has to have real good cleans.

I ve been looking at the dimarzio paf pro, seymour duncan jazz and the sd 59. Which one do u guys reckon is better? many thanks



I would go for the sd 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
What do you guys think about the Duncan LiveWire Metals? I checked out the website and it says that have really high output. It also says its an 18-volt. That means it requires two 9v batteries one pickup right?



I personally didn't like them the sound like emg's only more "sterile" If you like that go for it. But if you just want a lot of output get an dimarzio X2N. I have one, it will rip your face off. 510 mv output and it has clarity
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Last edited by Six_Feet_Under_420 : 2006-08-28 at 10:13.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 2006-08-29, 01:38
Wunderboy Wunderboy is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65
The X2Ns are passive pickups right?
I've never tried out active pickups before. Does anybody think that they're worth it? Or are passives the way to go?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 2006-08-29, 03:42
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
The X2Ns are passive pickups right?
I've never tried out active pickups before. Does anybody think that they're worth it? Or are passives the way to go?


If I were you I would go to a local guitar shop and try out a guitar with emg's and a guitar with powerful passives. Active ones are more sterile, passive one compliment the bodywood more and are more "dynamic". Me personally think passives are the way to go. Both type of pickups are good it's just what you think sounds better to you
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 2006-08-29, 04:13
Wunderboy Wunderboy is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
If I were you I would go to a local guitar shop and try out a guitar with emg's and a guitar with powerful passives. Active ones are more sterile, passive one compliment the bodywood more and are more "dynamic". Me personally think passives are the way to go. Both type of pickups are good it's just what you think sounds better to you


That's a great idea, and if I could, I would go check em out right now. But what's fucked up is there aren't any local guitar stores where I live.

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar and I want really good pickups for it.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 2006-08-29, 06:27
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
That's a great idea, and if I could, I would go check em out right now. But what's fucked up is there aren't any local guitar stores where I live.

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar and I want really good pickups for it.



If you order a guitar and you can't preview it your best chance would be a active pickup 'cause they have their own sound kinda. The type of wood doesn't effect the sound in a way it would be with a passive. And if you worry about battery change, don't. You can play over a year with a battery
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 2006-08-29, 07:04
Wunderboy Wunderboy is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 65
What do you think are the best active pickups out there?
My first choices were the EMG 81 and 85 for the bridge and neck respectively.

And how exactly are batteries located in the guitar? Are they within the pickup and you'd have to open it to replace it? Or are they just placed randomly in the body of the guitar?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 2006-08-29, 07:57
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderboy
What do you think are the best active pickups out there?
My first choices were the EMG 81 and 85 for the bridge and neck respectively.

And how exactly are batteries located in the guitar? Are they within the pickup and you'd have to open it to replace it? Or are they just placed randomly in the body of the guitar?



emg 81, 85 is an excellent choice.

and the batteries are where there's room in your guitar body. sometimes a cavity is routed for it. sometimes they lie by the input jack. you can put it anywhere
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 2006-09-01, 21:19
FesteringCorpse FesteringCorpse is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 63
Pickup feeding back help

The other night before band practice my guitar fell over (in its case). When i started playing my axe wouldn't stop feeding back even when you lightly touch the strings and when you touch the screw that adjusts the pickup height it stops feeding back any ideas? (Seymour Duncan Dimebucker)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.