MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-11-27, 13:53
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I dont have a AN or TZ, but I have the X2N in bridge position of my guitar. It sounds really killer. You should at least try it and if you dont like it you could always swap it out and sell it. Im planning on getting a PAF Pro and matching it up with the X2N in the future BTW.

Old 2006-11-27, 20:48
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Im planning on getting a PAF Pro and matching it up with the X2N in the future BTW.

That's my current setup in my Ibanez. You will love that combo. The PAF Pro really pulls out some smooth cleans. I also like the sound when you throw some distortion on it, it gets that's cool tight lead sound.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-11-28, 02:47
mctriple
Senior Metalhead

Yeah I'm thinkin that I'll probably go ahead and get an X2N soon. Maybe after christmas, depending on how much cash I get. I really like my TZ at the bridge, but I've heard a few people say that it's killer at the neck, and I'd like to try it there. Might as well take the opportunity to get an X2N at the bridge while I'm moving my TZ (don't really want TZ+TZ).
Line6 PODxt

Old 2006-11-28, 13:17
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
That's my current setup in my Ibanez. You will love that combo. The PAF Pro really pulls out some smooth cleans. I also like the sound when you throw some distortion on it, it gets that's cool tight lead sound.

Cool, man. That's exactly why I want that combo of pickups. The PAF Pro for cleans and awesome leads and sweeps, and the X2N for relentless metal brutality!

Old 2006-12-06, 17:34
Break Zero
New Blood

I have 2 questions regarding DiMarzios. I am currently using an ESP/ltd. F400FM (mahogany with flame maple top) with an X2N in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck.

First off, I was wondering if anyone know what were the differences in characteristics between the X2N and the MegaDrive. I definatly dig the X2N, but the MegaDrive sounded like an interesting idea to try out. However, you have to have it special ordered from DiMarzio to get it, so trying it out would be diffucult. Only sound I know I've heard it on is older Slayer. I play Tech-ish Thrash in standard E mostly (though I mix it up with some Prog influences), and an idea of the tone I like is the one found in Sabbat's "Dreamweaver" album. But I like to have my chords heard, as I mix it up a bit from the usual power chords.

Second, I have been seeing rave reviews for the PAF Pro in the neck in this thread. I use the Humbucker From Hell in the neck mostly for clean tones (I also have a coil splitter put in, so when its split, it sounds practically acoustic). But I was wondering how the cleans sound with the PAF, since apparently for solos and sweeps, it sounds amazing. So I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to switch out the Humbucker From Hell for a PAF Pro?

Old 2006-12-06, 19:47
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break Zero
I have 2 questions regarding DiMarzios. I am currently using an ESP/ltd. F400FM (mahogany with flame maple top) with an X2N in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck.

First off, I was wondering if anyone know what were the differences in characteristics between the X2N and the MegaDrive. I definatly dig the X2N, but the MegaDrive sounded like an interesting idea to try out. However, you have to have it special ordered from DiMarzio to get it, so trying it out would be diffucult. Only sound I know I've heard it on is older Slayer. I play Tech-ish Thrash in standard E mostly (though I mix it up with some Prog influences), and an idea of the tone I like is the one found in Sabbat's "Dreamweaver" album. But I like to have my chords heard, as I mix it up a bit from the usual power chords.

Second, I have been seeing rave reviews for the PAF Pro in the neck in this thread. I use the Humbucker From Hell in the neck mostly for clean tones (I also have a coil splitter put in, so when its split, it sounds practically acoustic). But I was wondering how the cleans sound with the PAF, since apparently for solos and sweeps, it sounds amazing. So I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to switch out the Humbucker From Hell for a PAF Pro?

i've never heard of a megadrive so i cant help you there...

but heres the deal, gibson invented the P.A.F. as the first hum cancelling pickup to put out a competition against all the other pickup builders at the time who only built single coils. Now, at this time, in the early 60's, distortion was widely considered a "bad thing", and generally people liked to avoid it, so the pickups were therefore pretty low gain (especially compared to pickups these days). It was BUILT for cleans, so its sexy for cleans basically.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-19, 06:43
CarnalAltar
Senior Metalhead

Grinding Rhythms: Which Pickup?

I need some new pickups for my Neck-through NJ Warlock (I think it's mahogany). I've already got a guitar with an X2N, and I want a somewhat lower output but still powerful grinding sound (going for something between Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse). Has anyone tried to play grind/death with the following pickups?

Possibilities:
Evolution: I like the screaming-ness, but I'm afraid it won't hold it's own in the chunky grind department
Tone Zone: Sweet Mids could give the grind with great tone, but the samples on the Dimarzio site sound so smooth and not gritty at all.
Super 3 and D-Sonic: These sounded generally good in soundclips, but didn't really jump out at me the way Evolution and Tone Zone did.

Old 2006-12-19, 11:28
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalAltar
I need some new pickups for my Neck-through NJ Warlock (I think it's mahogany). I've already got a guitar with an X2N, and I want a somewhat lower output but still powerful grinding sound (going for something between Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse). Has anyone tried to play grind/death with the following pickups?

Possibilities:
Evolution: I like the screaming-ness, but I'm afraid it won't hold it's own in the chunky grind department
Tone Zone: Sweet Mids could give the grind with great tone, but the samples on the Dimarzio site sound so smooth and not gritty at all.
Super 3 and D-Sonic: These sounded generally good in soundclips, but didn't really jump out at me the way Evolution and Tone Zone did.

if you want to sound like shit, buy a super 3. They are PURE fucking mud... its terrible... no trebel = no clarity. And the D-sonic... linkin park uses that... i think thats all you need to hear. Tone zone is a good choice, nice high output, everybody i know wants to make sweet love to that pickup, too bad it doesnt have a vagina. My personal reccomendation: a Super 2, a super distortion, or a seymor duncan JB or Custom. I use the super 2, and i can get heavy ass yet incredibly clear tones... Super distortion is just like the super 2 but more bassy. Duncan JB... used by many players including arch enemy's michael amott, he has fairly good tone does he not? And the Custom, used by Mark Morton in Lamb of God, with the increased bass and trebel and warmth, you can get some punchy ass tone out of that. I dont know anything about the evolution, all i know is its a lower output pickup... wait for more advice from other people.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-19, 14:58
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:

Possibilities:

Well, either Dimarzio or SD are the companies you should be concentrating on (and it looks like you are).

If you're willing to spend big, The Lundgren M models (M6 or M7.. depending on strings) are EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Here's a link, but I'm warning you, just the one bridge pickup will steal about $300 US from you... http://www.lundgren.se/index.asp?folid=22&micid=92 ...The price there says 159EU.

I hear they are serious great, and by your description, sounds like a match made in heaven.

Anyhow If you're not willing to spend that much I would reccomend and SD pickup, not the Invader, but maybe something like the Custom, Distortion, or JB. Also depends on your amp. Mahogany is a great wood for pickups such as the JB... not that much gain but the wood will resonate it like a cunt and give it shittons of balls. Also versatile as fuck.

But don't worry... *insert name here* will be here in a jiffy, persuading you on the evolution.

So, my conclusion is Lundgren M6 if you're willing to spend big (usually for a worthwhile guitar). I think Warlocks are gay, so I wouldn't. But that's just me.
I forsee you buying the evo.

Old 2006-12-19, 21:54
*insert name here*
Jono

Mahogany bodies generally have tons of low end. If you add pickups without enough higher frequencies it will get very muddy. Evo's are amazing pickups, but not what I would put in a Mahogany body.
Super 2's would be my bet. Like Problematic said, if you got the dough, go balls out and get a Lundgren

Old 2006-12-21, 00:22
CarnalAltar
Senior Metalhead

Thanks for the input. That's funny that you say you wouldn't put an Evo into a mahogany body, since I was afraid it would be too thin sounding (the thought of mud from an Evo never entered my mind). I still might go for the Evo, but from all your comments it seems like a supersmooth non-trebly pickup like the Tone Zone might not be the thing for chunky grind.

Cheers

As for the warlock being gay, me and my warlock (aka Capt. Foofy) dont care what you think.

Old 2006-12-24, 00:25
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
As for the warlock being gay, me and my warlock (aka Capt. Foofy) dont care what you think.

Old 2006-12-24, 06:03
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I used to listen to Metaillica and Bodom and Megadeth, and i got an EMG put in, but it sounds kind of dry and cold. I have an Ibanez RG3 EX1, not sure what the wood is. But i don't care for any punchy mid-heavy tone, i just need something warmer, ESEPCIALLY for sto n e r d o o m. The bands i listen too are in theavatar but i don't want hate eternal or cryptopsy tone, it's too cold

Old 2006-12-28, 20:03
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

So I want to pimp my cheap, but sweet gtr...
...by putting good bridge hot pup. My first choice was Di Marzio x2n, but as distributer in my area will get next shipment in march, I can't fucking wait, as I have money and I am will to spend it right NOW.

So, they have DM Super Distortion and Evolution, I mean they have plenty others pups of DMs, but these 2 is what I'm interested in.

Gtr has agathis body( don't try to turn me off for this, it's my first gtr, memories, memories, and I want to pimp it, it plays fuckin good), and sound I'm looking for is not too bassy nor middley nor high, but I want fucking vintage sound, that cuts through mix well. Now, Evo exactly does that, but it has modern sound, and SD has vintage sound but it's a little more bassy. I am looking for some sound not to be brutal like some contemporary bends, I want it to be crisp, full, cutting, dinamic, yet a little raw( note: I am well aware of the fact that my gtr wood ain't jack pot, so concetrate on pups), hints: Death's last album( I know Chuck used x2N, if someone want to sa that), Morbid Angel's Covenant( especially songs like Lion's Den, God and Word of shite) and maybe, just maybe Suffo's Souls to deny in some parts. Evolution or Super Distortion - which of these two pups is closer to that sound, and is better for some death metal( not death metal in a way that u just hear 'hsshshhss')?

EDIT: neck is from maple, rosewood fretboard.

Last edited by Heavy Jerk : 2006-12-28 at 20:05.

Old 2006-12-28, 20:03
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Anybody know how good a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and a DiMarzio D Sonic in the bridge would sound in a mahogany guitar with ebony fretboard?

Also, would an F-spaced humbucker fit in a fixed bridge guitar?

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-29 at 02:10.

Old 2006-12-29, 16:56
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Also, would an F-spaced humbucker fit in a fixed bridge guitar?

An fspaced would fit in a fixed bridge guitar, but the pole pieces wouldnt be directly under the strings. Ideally a normal, non fspaced pickup would be better. If you look on the Dimarzio website under pickup FAQ they explain it there.

Old 2006-12-30, 07:58
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk
So I want to pimp my cheap, but sweet gtr...
...by putting good bridge hot pup. My first choice was Di Marzio x2n, but as distributer in my area will get next shipment in march, I can't fucking wait, as I have money and I am will to spend it right NOW.

So, they have DM Super Distortion and Evolution, I mean they have plenty others pups of DMs, but these 2 is what I'm interested in.

Gtr has agathis body( don't try to turn me off for this, it's my first gtr, memories, memories, and I want to pimp it, it plays fuckin good), and sound I'm looking for is not too bassy nor middley nor high, but I want fucking vintage sound, that cuts through mix well. Now, Evo exactly does that, but it has modern sound, and SD has vintage sound but it's a little more bassy. I am looking for some sound not to be brutal like some contemporary bends, I want it to be crisp, full, cutting, dinamic, yet a little raw( note: I am well aware of the fact that my gtr wood ain't jack pot, so concetrate on pups), hints: Death's last album( I know Chuck used x2N, if someone want to sa that), Morbid Angel's Covenant( especially songs like Lion's Den, God and Word of shite) and maybe, just maybe Suffo's Souls to deny in some parts. Evolution or Super Distortion - which of these two pups is closer to that sound, and is better for some death metal( not death metal in a way that u just hear 'hsshshhss')?

EDIT: neck is from maple, rosewood fretboard.

Death? Morbid Angel? Suffocation new stuff? What the fuck are you going on about it being vintage? Do you know what vintage is?

Get the evo, and you're set. It also depends a lot on your amp.

Lol, you have a BC Rich don't you?

Old 2006-12-30, 16:40
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

Man, if u think I am a horny lil' poser or so u have another thing coming. Yes, Morbids have vintage sound, and Death have it in some parts, in a way that their sound ain't sterile. As for the Suffo, I did mention them because I wanted to say how much tight sound I want to.

No, I don't have BC Rich, I have Ibanez GSA60. I want to pimp it while saving up to 800-900-1000 euros for new( or used) guitar, I don't want to buy guitar like 370 or so, it wouldn't be some sound improvement, wouldn't it? This guitar I have obviously is one of the better pieces of that model, it stays in tune well( I looked down the tremolo - it's useless anyways), sound with stock pups ain't bad at all, it has decent sustain and what is most important - it plays great. I have tried decent ammount of models( from crappy ones to models like of 2000+euros), Ibanez S470 being the latest, in stores and through friends; for ex. S470 - what I have to say for the guitar of 800euros - it should be lot more great feel with it, simply I didn't feel any great feeling with it. It was good, but my 250e guitar have feel like that S has or even better. So, after that latest 'try out' in the store, I finally decided to not be hasty and not to buy some little more expensive model than my old guitar already is.

Old 2007-01-02, 19:21
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

I thin it's time to change my pickups. I've decided I want dimarzio, but I'm not totally sure which one. Is Tone Zone good for metal (but not death metal)? I think I'm going to try to nab an air norton on ebay, theres one I might be able to get for like $20 total, that would leave just a bridge pickup to get, which is where I'm stuck between a Tone Zone or a Super 3.

Old 2007-01-02, 20:44
Soeru
Post-whore

Yes the Tonezone will do everything including death metal. Might want a slight boost from an EQ pedal if you want it to sound over-the-top like Suffo and stuff though. I'm putting one in my Ironbird with a PAF Pro to replace my EMG 81 85 set in it, and I play mostly death metal. The 81 is then going into my Charvel Model 5 neckthru, on which I'm also putting a slanted EMG single coil in the future(not sure which yet).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-01-16, 21:16
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I have an RG3EX1 it is a very nice guitar and i noticed that it was made out of mahogany and i had a EMG81 <----- DUMBASS

I checked out DiMarzio's site and didn't exactly find DM soundclips i was thinking ToneZone or SuperDistortion. I didn't really go for X2N because it said it had a lot of mid and not a lot of bass. I'm not a big fan of punchy loud tone, well for my playing, but i like some bands with that sound, but were getting off track. Suggestions anyone? Oh and i was thinking maybe PAF in the neck too? suggestions?

Old 2007-01-17, 19:44
JOAMdude
Post-whore

^

Old 2007-01-17, 21:41
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

FINALLY i have finished a fucking song.

I've posted it on my myspace. Its called Clairvoyant Memories. The drums aren't the greatest thing ever. But they'll do since its not like an OFFICIAL going on a cd recording.

Tell me what you guys think.
Click here
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-01-17, 22:11
Requiem
Post-whore

^^ Wrong thread???

My friend just got some Dimebag Humbuckers, they sound mediocre.

Old 2007-01-17, 22:38
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
I have an RG3EX1 it is a very nice guitar and i noticed that it was made out of mahogany and i had a EMG81 <----- DUMBASS

I checked out DiMarzio's site and didn't exactly find DM soundclips i was thinking ToneZone or SuperDistortion. I didn't really go for X2N because it said it had a lot of mid and not a lot of bass. I'm not a big fan of punchy loud tone, well for my playing, but i like some bands with that sound, but were getting off track. Suggestions anyone? Oh and i was thinking maybe PAF in the neck too? suggestions?

Mahogany has tons of bass I find. Super 3's are good in the bridge. PAF pro's are great for clean, and sweeps and shit, but I think they get a little muddy in mahogany guitars with the lower notes.

Old 2007-01-19, 00:14
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Super 3's have too much mids, i don't really like really punchy sounds

Old 2007-01-19, 08:22
*insert name here*
Jono

Not so much punchy, it just evens out the low end on heavy guitars.

Old 2007-01-23, 09:51
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Dunno if this is the right thread to post this in but whatever. I'm looking for some wiring diagrams for a single pickup (humbucker) with 1 vol, 1 tone and no switch. Anyone who can help me?

Old 2007-01-24, 20:20
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I believe this should help you out IRON90:
http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/...pickupdiagrams/

Old 2007-01-25, 02:29
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Does anybody here own an air norton and can testify how good it is/how it compares to the PAF Pro?

Old 2007-01-25, 07:48
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:

imagine the x2n as a bassy emg 81. Its not as mid heavy as you think.

For the neck, it depends what you use it for. If its strickly clean, go for paf.

If you like to add some dirt, you know, get the jazzy wanky ass sweepy shreddy shit that alot of people hate (like me) yet all do when they're bored (like me) with a touch of gain, go paf pro. Also, paf pro is good if you use your neck pickup for solos. I think i saw Soeru saying a while back that Trey Azagtoth (sorry spelling) uses the paf pro in neck.

Old 2007-01-25, 17:23
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I'm pretty sure Trey said he uses it in the bridge position, not in the neck. The PAF Pro would be a good choice IMO. I'm getting one in a couple months or so.

Old 2007-01-25, 17:47
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I believe this should help you out IRON90:
http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/...pickupdiagrams/

Thank you so much. That was really helpfull.

Old 2007-01-25, 18:35
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

No problem man.

Old 2007-01-29, 23:02
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

How well does the ToneZone handle low tunings (C,B,A)?

And will a ToneZone (bridge) + PAF Pro (neck) sound good in a mahogany body or will there be any mud?

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2007-01-30 at 01:17.

Old 2007-01-30, 03:04
*insert name here*
Jono

It will be bassy. If you have a bright distortion, it should be perfect. PAF's get muddy imo in heavy guitars.

Old 2007-01-31, 03:41
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
It will be bassy. If you have a bright distortion, it should be perfect. PAF's get muddy imo in heavy guitars.

It should be less muddy than EMG 81/85 though, right?

Old 2007-02-01, 02:23
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

I recently got a Hamer Slammer series Diablo, the body is Alder (afaik), would a DiMarzio Tone Zone (bridge) and PAF Pro (neck) be good for that? I don't want uber-metal tone from it, I will be using it to play rock, classical, blues etc... It's a fucking beautiful guitar but I don't want to get over-bright pickups for it, atm it's got an EMG-81 which does sound fantastic but isn't very alive.

Old 2007-02-04, 05:51
Haustorium
New Blood

I just recently got a cheap-ass Ibanez 7-string planning to just enhance it myself and i can't decide between a few different pick-ups. the guitar is maple. Im thinking either EMG 707, PAF, or X2N, or any other 7-string pick-up you guys may suggest. My tuning is ADGCFAD, and the sound i am going for is somewhere in between Necrophagist and Opeth.

Last edited by Haustorium : 2007-02-04 at 06:19.

Old 2007-02-04, 18:55
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Dyvim Tvar: The PAF Pro in the neck would be a good idea. It gives great cleans, awesome sweep sounds and has a sort of open and airy sound if you know what i mean. MY ultimate combo of pickups would be an X2N(bridge) and PAF Pro(neck) along with a 5 way switch the goes from: neck, neck and bridge(inside coils parallel), neck and bridge(inside coils series), neck and bridge(outside coils parallel) and bridge pickup. The X2N by itself would be good for metal in general, the PAF Pro for clean stuff and different solo sounds and the parallel positions would be good for rock since they would give strat and tele-like sounds, according to the Dimarzio site.

Old 2007-02-04, 19:00
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Dyvim Tvar: The PAF Pro in the neck would be a good idea. It gives great cleans, awesome sweep sounds and has a sort of open and airy sound if you know what i mean. MY ultimate combo of pickups would be an X2N(bridge) and PAF Pro(neck) along with a 5 way switch the goes from: neck, neck and bridge(inside coils parallel), neck and bridge(inside coils series), neck and bridge(outside coils parallel) and bridge pickup. The X2N by itself would be good for metal in general, the PAF Pro for clean stuff and different solo sounds and the parallel positions would be good for rock since they would give strat and tele-like sounds, according to the Dimarzio site.

X2N would sound like pure shit in cleans, though.

Old 2007-02-04, 20:52
JOAMdude
Post-whore

why would anyone ever want muhammed suicmez/s tone, it blow transgranny balls, so midsy with no bottom end, so punchy, loud, barely any gain. It is engineered specifically for sweeps and shit

Old 2007-02-05, 01:06
Josh
Metalhead

I'm thinking of picking up an Ibanez Iceman IC-400 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=519476 and plan on dropping in an x2n and a paf pro. Would it be necessary to change the pots also, or will the stock ones be ok for now?

Old 2007-02-05, 03:17
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I'm thinking of picking up an Ibanez Iceman IC-400 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=519476 and plan on dropping in an x2n and a paf pro. Would it be necessary to change the pots also, or will the stock ones be ok for now?

The pots should be fine (they'll work).

Old 2007-02-05, 06:59
Haustorium
New Blood

Quote:
why would anyone ever want muhammed suicmez/s tone, it blow transgranny balls, so midsy with no bottom end, so punchy, loud, barely any gain. It is engineered specifically for sweeps and shit

The reason why there isnt that much gain is so its a lot easier to tell whats going on in their music which is very fast and technical, and his tone for solos is amazing, it's so clear and smooth and the bends scream. It's not always about how much gain their is.

Old 2007-02-05, 13:17
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
X2N would sound like pure shit in cleans, though.

Yeah, i know...thats why i have the PAF Pro to complement it. For ME, its the perfect combo of pickups.

Old 2007-02-05, 17:05
JOAMdude
Post-whore

yeah his solos have clarity, but the songs themselves do not have good tone. Someone CAN get both, just listen to Vital Remains

Old 2007-02-06, 01:42
Haustorium
New Blood

I dont know, i just love the way the notes harmonize with that tone, and also its a pretty recognizable to most people, hear one riff and most can identify that its necrophagist, and that is a good thing even if many dont like the tone. But im looking for a tone somewhere in between Necrophagist and Opeth, I have a Laney amphead, a carvin legacy cab, and im trying to decide what pickups to get for my cheapass 7-string: Duncan? DiMarzio? EMG? im kinda leanin towards dimarzio paf or x2n or emg 707???

Old 2007-02-06, 15:06
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I love the X2N so i'd say go for the X2N-7. The PAF 7 would sound like a good idea since i think it should complement the X2N-7 well.

Old 2007-02-07, 05:16
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

I have an EMG-817, sounds great for Necro' stype tone, very sharp and tight, but if you want that and Opeth I'd suggest you went with passive p'ups.

Old 2007-02-13, 09:46
Wunderboy
Metalhead

Does anybody have the Dimarzio Super 2 or 3 as a bridge pickup?
I was thinking about have a Super 2 or 3 (b) / Super Distortion (n) combo?
Opinions? Recommendations?

And are these pickups hotter than Gibson's 496 and 500s?

Last edited by Wunderboy : 2007-02-13 at 10:14.

Old 2007-02-24, 00:12
diamond_dave
New Blood

Yeh I'm planning to get the Super Distrotions myself. I hear they are really good. Does anyone here know the estimate cost for installing a pickup?

Old 2007-02-24, 23:03
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_dave
Yeh I'm planning to get the Super Distrotions myself. I hear they are really good. Does anyone here know the estimate cost for installing a pickup?

Meh, around £10-£25 usually, depends how quick you want it etc...

Take her from behind, then pretend like you're gonna cum, retract and spit on her back.
Then when she turns around blow your load in her face

Old 2007-03-07, 21:50
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

gonna get a Dean VX. playing through Peavey head into marshall cab tuned to b. Wanna get some descent pickups, tossing up between a x2n and paf pro combination or SD Invader and pearly gates. Heard invaders are bassy and would sound heaps muddy tuned to b i would imagine. x2n and paf pro would be a good choice ay?

Old 2007-03-09, 00:04
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Yes.

Old 2007-03-09, 17:12
the_bleeding
Post-whore

anybody know what pickups krisiun uses? i really like that cold liquid sound in the guitar solos on the Works of Carnage album.

If you dont know what im talking about, listen to murderer... its at the part where he trempicks just before going into some random whammy abuse... sounds like a neck pickup...

EDIT ADDED: could a dimarzio Paf Pro get me close?

Old 2007-03-09, 17:15
widdlywhaa
Metalhead

what would be a good H-S-H combination for use in playing mostly power and thrash metal?

Old 2007-04-12, 06:37
the_bleeding
Post-whore

k i know this is a terribly stupid question but here it goes.
Which kind of pickup is zebra, and which is reverse zebra. So like, which type has black on the inside, and which type has white on the inside. I just need to know so i can specify when im getting my puppies

Old 2007-04-17, 15:02
Fidelman
New Blood

DiMarzio, it's the only way to go, dont buy a pair of pickupers just because your fav artist has them. BEcause, if you want the same thing, you probably have to spit out another 8000$ for a Rack. Buy a DIMarzio PAFpro and EVO2 and you'll get that schredding warm sound. None of the cold dead sounds you get in an ESP guitar, and you save alot of money. Duncan is good and expensive, but DiMarzio is better and cheaper.

Old 2007-04-17, 16:01
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I actually recently heard a comparison of a Dimarzio PAF Pro next to a more boutique pickup, a Bareknuckle VHII, and I never thought that there would be that big of a difference. I dont mean to bag on Dimarzio, but the VHII destroyed it. Exact same setup with the exact same guitar. Just food for thought.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-04-17, 22:12
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdlywhaa
what would be a good H-S-H combination for use in playing mostly power and thrash metal?

Look for a high output, tight pickup with a balanced sound with slightly more mids for the bridge, you probably want that "dry" & bright palm mute "gallop" sound. (Boost mids before amp, scoop mids on amp).

You want something similar for the neck, but probably with a little looser bottom end, little less mids, a balanced sound with a little more treble.

Candidates for the bridge pos.: Dimarzio Evolution / D-Activator, SD Distortion (really good), EMG 81

Neck pos.: Dimarzio PAF Pro (really good), SD '59 / Full shred

Dunno about the mid. pos.

I would go for SD Distortion bridge, DM PAF Pro for the neck.. would be most helpful if you told us what guitar you have and what pickups are in it, and what you feel is lacking now / what you want to change.

Old 2007-05-14, 22:25
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

I want a bridge pickup for my maple neckthrough mahogany winged guitar. The axe sounds somewhat "in the middle" of fat or thin / warm or bright, pretty balanced with a hint of brightness. I want a tight, big bass suitable for downtuning, warm to dark mids and really smooth yet cutting treble. It has to retain clarity with a lot of gain and have good harmonics. It should not have a fizzy high-mids centered sound, since my 5150 has that. And no mud!

Preferably mainstream pickup that won't break my balls.. I considered the Invader but everyone says muddy? Although a mate of mine claims it's not in his carvin. Doubt you can make this guitar sound muddy too, and i like the Invader on record alot (plus it'd fit my 5150).

Thanks!

Edit: Just bought a PAF Pro from eBay in black, it seems to match at least the appearance of the Invader very well! I'll try the Invader and if it's too muddy I'll get a Bareknuckle.

Last edited by Jopop : 2007-05-14 at 23:54.

Old 2007-05-16, 16:54
Soeru
Post-whore

Invader is supposed to have that dark Lamb of God sound... which I'm not very fond of. Nile use Invaders in all positions, but they're using EQ's and I *think* treble boosters with their amps, so I don't know if it's really gonna sound like that in your setup.

When I sell my EMG's I'm gonna put the paf pro I have in the bridge of my Ironbird for a while and see if I like it, even though I know it's not super high output, I always wanted to try it there. If not I'll move it to the neck and get an Evo most likely.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-05-16, 18:15
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Yeah. Well it'd be worth a shot, i won't lose on a resale anyway and the experience is worth it IMO. If it doesn't cut it, what would you suggest? A super distortion would be pretty cool but it's pretty fizzy..

Maybe a tone zone and a boost pedal? Think that'll do the trick?

Oh and I've also looked at the Dimarzio D Sonic and the Breed.

Old 2007-05-17, 05:46
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

I use an Invader in the bridge of my Jackson playing in Bb, the high strings are a little muddy, but I find that the bass strings are much clearer and ring out better. I use a RAT along with my JCM900, it brings a little more brightness back to the high strings. I love my Invader, though I haven't tried too many other pups atm, if you do get one you'll probably want some sort of treble booster, these things are bass-gods!

Take her from behind, then pretend like you're gonna cum, retract and spit on her back.

Old 2007-05-17, 07:09
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

can a 'sonic maximizer' make up for deficiencies in various ranges? like rather than a treble boost or a bass boost ... use it like a blanket deficiency boost for multiple pickups?

Old 2007-05-21, 17:51
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Hey guys I have some problems choosing new pickups for my les paul. I'm choosing between a Dimebucker and a super distortion. Which one would be most suited for lots of soloing?

Old 2007-05-29, 03:51
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

What pickups would be good in an Ibanez Prestige RG1570? If I like the guitar enough (I'm going to get one off ebay), I'll most likely sell my old guitar. RG1570s are H-S-H configuration, basswood body, rosewood fretboard. The guitar is coming with a Dimebucker in the bridge and stock everything else. I also have a Tonezone and a PAF Pro in my current guitar, and an EMG 81/85 set lying around, so I can switch these around if need be, and I will most likely want a single coil replacement, any suggestions on that? I'm also thinking on getting an X2N. What I'm looking for is getting the most versatility out of the guitar, so I'll most likely want a crunchy high output bridge, a good pickup for cleans for my middle pickup, and a smooth pickup for the neck for soloing and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2007-06-04, 19:09
dimespider
Metalhead

New Pups

I was going to buy a new guitar, but I'm opting to fix up an old one. It's one of the old Washburn Dime's w/ the floyd rose, I've had it for about 10 years or so and I'm looking to get new pups for it. Just wondering what everyone would suggest, it's a basswood body I believe and I play all metal obviously, and I want something passive with loads of gain. If you wanna know what amp I play on it's a 6505+ if that helps. Thanks.

*edit* I just realized it's an alder body, if that makes a difference.

The Rig:
LTD Truckster
Washburn Dime 333
Peavey 6505+ Head
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Tech-21 XXL Overdrive Pedal

Last edited by dimespider : 2007-06-04 at 19:57.

Old 2007-06-05, 04:00
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I have a pickup question. I have a Duncan Performer Detonator in my js30 rhoads. The pickup is a cheap Korean Invader. I really like this pickup, and I want to upgrade to a real Invader, but I've heard they sound like shit. Could it be the detonator sounds better than the Invader?, or do I like shitty guitar tones?

Old 2007-06-05, 10:30
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

I love my Invader, they don't sound shit by any means, a lot of people find them too muddy however.

Old 2007-06-05, 19:12
7-string warlord
Post-whore

mine isn't muddy, mabe my rig eleminates this.

Old 2007-06-05, 22:12
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

Well, if you like the detonator you deffo like the Invader. I don't find mine particularly muddy either but it's the thing people talk about most with them.

Old 2007-06-06, 02:02
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

The Invader is IMO a good pickup. It's not the most articulate pickup, but its not meant to be either. Its meant to sound brutal. Most people that complain of 'muddy' tone are putting them in mahogany-bodied guitars. Just think of everyone you know about who uses Invaders to a good effect, and you'll notice that none of them are using Les Pauls. They're better suited in guitars that have less bass resonance, like a Flying V ( think Nile! ). If you like that Detonator, replace it with an Invader and you'll love it.

Old 2007-06-06, 23:36
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

Exactly!!! I use mine in an Alder body which was quite bright anyway, it's not a ToneZone by any means but it is brutal as fuck, I love the little bastard!

Old 2007-06-08, 04:30
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Does anybody know how the Evo and Evo2 compare? DiMarzios site wasn't really clear enough for me to be able to make much of a choice.

Has anybody experimented with a Tone Zone in the neck position? How did it perform?

How articulate and sensitive is the X2N? Does its uber powerful magnet rape your sustain?

Old 2007-06-08, 10:01
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

ToneZone in the neck is a no-no, it's a bridge pup pure and simple.

Old 2007-06-08, 18:06
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim Tvar
ToneZone in the neck is a no-no, it's a bridge pup pure and simple.

What would be wrong with having it in the neck? What's the difference between neck and bridge pickups (other than neck pickups being lower output [and why is this?])?

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2007-06-09 at 00:41.

Old 2007-06-13, 01:25
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Do high quality single coils have a lot of noise? Like, if I were to get a DiMarzio Air Norton S (single coil), would it be really noisy?

Old 2007-06-13, 05:21
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
What would be wrong with having it in the neck? What's the difference between neck and bridge pickups (other than neck pickups being lower output [and why is this?])?

Neck pickups have to compensate for the overwhelming amounts of bass and mid content that comes with that area of string vibration. The Tone Zone is a very mid heavy pickup which would = complete mud in the neck.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Last edited by Valtiel : 2007-06-15 at 23:06.

Old 2007-06-15, 18:52
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

I got a carvin guitar with
24 frets, ebony board, maple neck, koa wings and its neckthru

It has 2 carvin humbuckers. I want to put 2 different ones in for metal playing
i do alot of sweeps and leads. so maybe the thing to do is have a bright bridge pickup and somethign cruncy and more bassy for the neck? im not sure what would u do?

Drop C prolly what i'll be in most.

Last edited by Arsis : 2007-06-16 at 20:41.

Old 2007-06-18, 04:46
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

No suggestions? Thats sux.

Old 2007-06-18, 04:59
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
I got a carvin guitar with
24 frets, ebony board, maple neck, koa wings and its neckthru

It has 2 carvin humbuckers. I want to put 2 different ones in for metal playing
i do alot of sweeps and leads. so maybe the thing to do is have a bright bridge pickup and somethign cruncy and more bassy for the neck? im not sure what would u do?

Drop C prolly what i'll be in most.

Check the DiMarzio website (www.dimarzio.com) and read up on their pickups.
Bridge pickups to check out: Tone Zone, X2N, Evolution Bridge
Neck Pickups: Air Norton, PAF Pro, Evolution Neck
Read their descriptions, listen to the sound clips to get an idea of what the pickup can do. How is your guitar? Is it trebly, middy, or bassy? Your guitar's sound will have a very big impact on how the pickups sound (as will your strings and picks).

Old 2007-07-19, 04:34
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

I'm pretty unknowing about pickups so I thought I'd ask about this here.

I have a Jackson DK2 (alder body) with Duncan designed pickups, the Spartan brand of guitar pickups. I want to get an X2N for the bridge for starters but I also want to change out the single coil in the neck. Rather than cut a bigger hole in the thing I'm gonna opt for a stacked pup, and I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. Like I said, I know very little about pickups so I'm wondering if this combination would work well or if it would fuck things up.

Old 2007-07-25, 00:09
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor79
I'm pretty unknowing about pickups so I thought I'd ask about this here.

I have a Jackson DK2 (alder body) with Duncan designed pickups, the Spartan brand of guitar pickups. I want to get an X2N for the bridge for starters but I also want to change out the single coil in the neck. Rather than cut a bigger hole in the thing I'm gonna opt for a stacked pup, and I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. Like I said, I know very little about pickups so I'm wondering if this combination would work well or if it would fuck things up.

it would work great. Hot rails are actually a humbucking single coil and they have enough heat to measure up to an X2N so it wont sound rediculously unbalanced. My personal preference are the cool rails though, thats how Immortal does their clean tone... its so icy cold hahaha.

Now for my question.
I'm getting a new guitar soon and am immediately dropping the stock pups, so naturally, i come here for advice on what to get. I want to avoid mud at all costs. This will be my stoner doom pickup. I dont need it for anything uber technical, just your regular pentatonic minor solos, and FAT rhythm, and i mean fat. FAT!!!!!! As for output, i want something with more output than my dimarzio super2's. For the EQ: i want it bass and mid focused but with enough highs that it doesnt get muddy. And heres the hard part, i dont want it to be over compressed, i want it somewhat organic, by the time i get this pickup i'll haev a tubescreamer to take care of my compressed desires.
bands with "fat", "bass" and "midfocused" tones: Witch, Priestess, The Atomic Bitchwax, Open Hand, Queens of the Stone Age... yeah.
budget means nothing to me, i'm willing to spend alot. Yes, i have my eyes on lundgrens and an alnico bareknuckle warpig...
So any suggestions?

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2007-07-25 at 00:13.

Old 2007-07-25, 05:52
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
it would work great. Hot rails are actually a humbucking single coil and they have enough heat to measure up to an X2N so it wont sound rediculously unbalanced. My personal preference are the cool rails though, thats how Immortal does their clean tone... its so icy cold hahaha.

Now for my question.
I'm getting a new guitar soon and am immediately dropping the stock pups, so naturally, i come here for advice on what to get. I want to avoid mud at all costs. This will be my stoner doom pickup. I dont need it for anything uber technical, just your regular pentatonic minor solos, and FAT rhythm, and i mean fat. FAT!!!!!! As for output, i want something with more output than my dimarzio super2's. For the EQ: i want it bass and mid focused but with enough highs that it doesnt get muddy. And heres the hard part, i dont want it to be over compressed, i want it somewhat organic, by the time i get this pickup i'll haev a tubescreamer to take care of my compressed desires.
bands with "fat", "bass" and "midfocused" tones: Witch, Priestess, The Atomic Bitchwax, Open Hand, Queens of the Stone Age... yeah.
budget means nothing to me, i'm willing to spend alot. Yes, i have my eyes on lundgrens and an alnico bareknuckle warpig...
So any suggestions?

I recently got turned on to and am now using WB pickups. Will (owner) will custom wind you pretty much anything you want if one of his stock pickups dosent interest you. His big thing is clarity, his pickups are very very clear and articulate. Good qualities to have in a high output pickup.

Quote:

Old 2007-08-03, 22:16
Paedophage
New Blood

What pickups would you all recommend for my guitar (passives preferably)? It's got a mahogany body, a maple neck, and an ebony fretboard... and I prefer very low tunings, but with a lot of clarity. I play mostly death metal in a similar style to Gorguts and Negativa, but I also like to dick around with jazz and funk stuff, so I'll need something versatile. As for amps, I'm playing through a Carvin Solid State, but I'm looking to change that too...

Thanks!

Old 2007-08-04, 14:22
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Ceramic Bareknuckle Warpig wired up for split coil as well. Or maybe the regular Alnico version for a slightly more organic tone.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-08-11, 04:09
vaiogeodon
New Blood

Hey guys. I want to put a new bridge pickup in my Ibanez SZ520. I was just wondering wut you'd recommend. I'm looking for a sound similar to cannibal corpse's. Thanks!

Old 2007-08-11, 05:00
JOAMdude
Post-whore

dimarzio X2N

Old 2007-08-11, 05:20
vaiogeodon
New Blood

Will it not be muddy? The SZ is mahogany.

Old 2007-08-11, 05:32
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiogeodon
Will it not be muddy? The SZ is mahogany.

The X2N is not a muddy pickup.

Old 2007-08-11, 06:03
vaiogeodon
New Blood

Oh. Ok just checking man heh. Can it handle low tunings well?

Old 2007-08-11, 06:43
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiogeodon
Oh. Ok just checking man heh. Can it handle low tunings well?

Due to its super high output level, it'll handle lower tunings very well.

Old 2007-08-11, 16:16
vaiogeodon
New Blood

How does the X2N compare to an evolution? I got an evo in my SZ now and I really don't like it.

Old 2007-08-11, 18:37
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

The X2N will have a lot more gain, and it'll be much more 'brutal' sounding. Its tone is very dependent on your wood; since you have mahogany it should have a more crushing, chunky sound. Evolutions have a lot of harmonic overtones, and will really show how bad you are if your playing is sloppy. Did you read DiMarzio's descriptions of the pickups on their website?

Old 2007-10-17, 23:46
outlawstar_101
New Blood

Question Seymour Duncan.

I was thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader in the bridge of my guitar. Anyone own the pickup and could give me some feedback about it or maybe even some sound clips.( i know there is some on seymour duncan site but i want more examples) That would kick ass.

Thanks

Last edited by outlawstar_101 : 2007-10-18 at 00:03.

Old 2007-10-18, 08:10
Soeru
Post-whore

If it handles low tunings it's because it's not muddy and very balanced, doesn't matter if it's high output or not. The x2n is very sensitive too and will pick up a lot of mistakes if you're not a tight player.

I would not recommend the invader if you play anything besides a lot of simple chord stuff and perhaps leads, it's an incredibly dark sounding pickup. Shit tons of bass, overpowering both mid range and almost nonexistant treble.

Old 2007-10-31, 02:17
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

How does a Tone Zone / PAF Pro sound in B tuning?

Old 2007-11-03, 15:35
MetalMyk
New Blood

Got some Seymour Duncan Blackouts yesterday and put them straight in where my EMG 81s were. I really can't see myself going back, they destroy the EMGs in pretty much every way.