Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2007-06-15, 13:52
Supreme Metalhead

I got a carvin guitar with
24 frets, ebony board, maple neck, koa wings and its neckthru

It has 2 carvin humbuckers. I want to put 2 different ones in for metal playing
i do alot of sweeps and leads. so maybe the thing to do is have a bright bridge pickup and somethign cruncy and more bassy for the neck? im not sure what would u do?

Drop C prolly what i'll be in most.

Last edited by Arsis : 2007-06-16 at 15:41.
Old 2007-06-17, 23:46
Supreme Metalhead

No suggestions? Thats sux.
Old 2007-06-17, 23:59
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
I got a carvin guitar with
24 frets, ebony board, maple neck, koa wings and its neckthru

It has 2 carvin humbuckers. I want to put 2 different ones in for metal playing
i do alot of sweeps and leads. so maybe the thing to do is have a bright bridge pickup and somethign cruncy and more bassy for the neck? im not sure what would u do?

Drop C prolly what i'll be in most.

Check the DiMarzio website (www.dimarzio.com) and read up on their pickups.
Bridge pickups to check out: Tone Zone, X2N, Evolution Bridge
Neck Pickups: Air Norton, PAF Pro, Evolution Neck
Read their descriptions, listen to the sound clips to get an idea of what the pickup can do. How is your guitar? Is it trebly, middy, or bassy? Your guitar's sound will have a very big impact on how the pickups sound (as will your strings and picks).
Old 2007-07-18, 23:34
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
I'm pretty unknowing about pickups so I thought I'd ask about this here.

I have a Jackson DK2 (alder body) with Duncan designed pickups, the Spartan brand of guitar pickups. I want to get an X2N for the bridge for starters but I also want to change out the single coil in the neck. Rather than cut a bigger hole in the thing I'm gonna opt for a stacked pup, and I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. Like I said, I know very little about pickups so I'm wondering if this combination would work well or if it would fuck things up.
Old 2007-07-24, 19:09
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor79
I'm pretty unknowing about pickups so I thought I'd ask about this here.

I have a Jackson DK2 (alder body) with Duncan designed pickups, the Spartan brand of guitar pickups. I want to get an X2N for the bridge for starters but I also want to change out the single coil in the neck. Rather than cut a bigger hole in the thing I'm gonna opt for a stacked pup, and I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. Like I said, I know very little about pickups so I'm wondering if this combination would work well or if it would fuck things up.

it would work great. Hot rails are actually a humbucking single coil and they have enough heat to measure up to an X2N so it wont sound rediculously unbalanced. My personal preference are the cool rails though, thats how Immortal does their clean tone... its so icy cold hahaha.

Now for my question.
I'm getting a new guitar soon and am immediately dropping the stock pups, so naturally, i come here for advice on what to get. I want to avoid mud at all costs. This will be my stoner doom pickup. I dont need it for anything uber technical, just your regular pentatonic minor solos, and FAT rhythm, and i mean fat. FAT!!!!!! As for output, i want something with more output than my dimarzio super2's. For the EQ: i want it bass and mid focused but with enough highs that it doesnt get muddy. And heres the hard part, i dont want it to be over compressed, i want it somewhat organic, by the time i get this pickup i'll haev a tubescreamer to take care of my compressed desires.
bands with "fat", "bass" and "midfocused" tones: Witch, Priestess, The Atomic Bitchwax, Open Hand, Queens of the Stone Age... yeah.
budget means nothing to me, i'm willing to spend alot. Yes, i have my eyes on lundgrens and an alnico bareknuckle warpig...
So any suggestions?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2007-07-24 at 19:13.
Old 2007-07-25, 00:52
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
it would work great. Hot rails are actually a humbucking single coil and they have enough heat to measure up to an X2N so it wont sound rediculously unbalanced. My personal preference are the cool rails though, thats how Immortal does their clean tone... its so icy cold hahaha.

Now for my question.
I'm getting a new guitar soon and am immediately dropping the stock pups, so naturally, i come here for advice on what to get. I want to avoid mud at all costs. This will be my stoner doom pickup. I dont need it for anything uber technical, just your regular pentatonic minor solos, and FAT rhythm, and i mean fat. FAT!!!!!! As for output, i want something with more output than my dimarzio super2's. For the EQ: i want it bass and mid focused but with enough highs that it doesnt get muddy. And heres the hard part, i dont want it to be over compressed, i want it somewhat organic, by the time i get this pickup i'll haev a tubescreamer to take care of my compressed desires.
bands with "fat", "bass" and "midfocused" tones: Witch, Priestess, The Atomic Bitchwax, Open Hand, Queens of the Stone Age... yeah.
budget means nothing to me, i'm willing to spend alot. Yes, i have my eyes on lundgrens and an alnico bareknuckle warpig...
So any suggestions?

I recently got turned on to and am now using WB pickups. Will (owner) will custom wind you pretty much anything you want if one of his stock pickups dosent interest you. His big thing is clarity, his pickups are very very clear and articulate. Good qualities to have in a high output pickup.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Old 2007-08-03, 17:16
New Blood

What pickups would you all recommend for my guitar (passives preferably)? It's got a mahogany body, a maple neck, and an ebony fretboard... and I prefer very low tunings, but with a lot of clarity. I play mostly death metal in a similar style to Gorguts and Negativa, but I also like to dick around with jazz and funk stuff, so I'll need something versatile. As for amps, I'm playing through a Carvin Solid State, but I'm looking to change that too...

Thanks!
Old 2007-08-04, 09:22
Senior Metalhead

Ceramic Bareknuckle Warpig wired up for split coil as well. Or maybe the regular Alnico version for a slightly more organic tone.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project
Old 2007-08-10, 23:09
New Blood

Hey guys. I want to put a new bridge pickup in my Ibanez SZ520. I was just wondering wut you'd recommend. I'm looking for a sound similar to cannibal corpse's. Thanks!
Old 2007-08-11, 00:00
Post-whore

dimarzio X2N
Old 2007-08-11, 00:20
New Blood

Will it not be muddy? The SZ is mahogany.
Old 2007-08-11, 00:32
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiogeodon
Will it not be muddy? The SZ is mahogany.

The X2N is not a muddy pickup.
Old 2007-08-11, 01:03
New Blood

Oh. Ok just checking man heh. Can it handle low tunings well?
Old 2007-08-11, 01:43
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiogeodon
Oh. Ok just checking man heh. Can it handle low tunings well?

Due to its super high output level, it'll handle lower tunings very well.
Old 2007-08-11, 11:16
New Blood

How does the X2N compare to an evolution? I got an evo in my SZ now and I really don't like it.
Old 2007-08-11, 13:37
Supreme Metalhead

The X2N will have a lot more gain, and it'll be much more 'brutal' sounding. Its tone is very dependent on your wood; since you have mahogany it should have a more crushing, chunky sound. Evolutions have a lot of harmonic overtones, and will really show how bad you are if your playing is sloppy. Did you read DiMarzio's descriptions of the pickups on their website?
Old 2007-10-17, 18:46
New Blood

Question Seymour Duncan.

I was thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader in the bridge of my guitar. Anyone own the pickup and could give me some feedback about it or maybe even some sound clips.( i know there is some on seymour duncan site but i want more examples) That would kick ass.

Thanks

Last edited by outlawstar_101 : 2007-10-17 at 19:03.
Old 2007-10-18, 03:10
Post-whore

If it handles low tunings it's because it's not muddy and very balanced, doesn't matter if it's high output or not. The x2n is very sensitive too and will pick up a lot of mistakes if you're not a tight player.

I would not recommend the invader if you play anything besides a lot of simple chord stuff and perhaps leads, it's an incredibly dark sounding pickup. Shit tons of bass, overpowering both mid range and almost nonexistant treble.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-10-30, 21:17
Supreme Metalhead

How does a Tone Zone / PAF Pro sound in B tuning?
Old 2007-11-03, 10:35
New Blood

Got some Seymour Duncan Blackouts yesterday and put them straight in where my EMG 81s were. I really can't see myself going back, they destroy the EMGs in pretty much every way.