MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2007-02-05, 20:37
Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Josh
Every once in a while the matching Ampeg SS-212 cabs pop up on ebay. I have the SS-412 and if its anything like the 4x12 cabinet it will have whatever Celestion they came with and compliment the amp well. Plus it will be stereo....which is what you want, because will sound a lot clearer and keep the chorus from sounding like shit because they do have a true stereo chorus. It just isnt the same with a mono cab.
Old 2007-02-05, 20:58
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvina

its a shame they dont make a 1x15 bass cab, I would really like to find a fucking 115 cab for a decent price

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Old 2007-02-05, 21:11
Post-whore

um.. not really into power metal, and the GK's would handle DM but you don't suggest them?

oh and totally irrelevant to the thread but the other one that i made is linked to this one so here goes. I found the SS head yes, and have bidded on it, and I just recently found a VH head, said to be mint condition, which is... 400$, that is a lot for me. If i don't get the SS, i will try to bid for VH, sound good?

also if i did buy a 4x12, there would be no problem right?

Last edited by JOAMdude : 2007-02-05 at 21:14.
Old 2007-02-05, 21:26
Post-whore

^
Old 2007-02-05, 22:08
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
um.. not really into power metal, and the GK's would handle DM but you don't suggest them?

oh and totally irrelevant to the thread but the other one that i made is linked to this one so here goes. I found the SS head yes, and have bidded on it, and I just recently found a VH head, said to be mint condition, which is... 400$, that is a lot for me. If i don't get the SS, i will try to bid for VH, sound good?

also if i did buy a 4x12, there would be no problem right?

whatever rubs your buddha.

Dude, powermetal is so generic... these speakers are pretty much designed for everything metal. Trust the Manowars, they will blow your head off. The best part is that the huge wattage means that the only thing you'll hear distorting is the amp, and not the speakers, because once the speakers start clipping it stresses the fuck out of them, and if they blow when you have a tube head attached, you'll fry your transformer.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2007-02-06, 05:21
Post-whore

The Manowars don't have anything to do with power metal LOL. I'm not suggesting scooped mid speakers because they sound harsh to me and don't seem to cut through due to lack of mid response...

If you buy a 4x12 of course there's no problem, just hope your neighbors have earplugs!

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-02-06, 12:02
Post-whore

what cabs have manowars in them? and i hope they don't have as much mids as say eric rutan has in this band. I pretty much want the typical low-end tone. (as you pretty much know)

and thank you two both very much for all the help

edit: how would G12T 100's sound in a 212? good for metal? or again is there too much scoop in the mid?

Last edited by JOAMdude : 2007-02-06 at 12:33.
Old 2007-02-06, 13:25
Post-whore

Quote:
what cabs have manowars in them? and i hope they don't have as much mids as say eric rutan has in this band. I pretty much want the typical low-end tone. (as you pretty much know)

splawn, electric amps, matamp... basically boutique companies.

Email Scott Splawn, he knows his shit and will help anybody when it comes to anything, and recommends using eminences.

Electricamp/matamp are basically the same company in different locations, and are known for their wicked low end, and they use manowars to accentuate it. An amp that thunders is only as good as the speakers you hear it through.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2007-02-06, 13:29
Post-whore

Quote:

and thank you two both very much for all the help

edit: how would G12T 100's sound in a 212? good for metal? or again is there too much scoop in the mid?

The last VH140C combo that went by on ebay had G12K-85's essentially the same just lower wattage. Those are scooped mids too.

I personally like Rutan's mid-fat sound, but it's not a matter of tonal preference here, you really need some decent mid response for the amp to cut through and be heard in a band situation. The VH140 is retardedly loud so cutting through will be solved by cranking the volume more, but the excess treble and bass will drown out the bassist and cymbals if you play in a loud band.

G12-75s, G12K's, or most other scooped mid speakers will simply not compensate the VH140 too much because it already has handful of boosted treble and bass frequencies, it's a naturally slightly scooped sounding amp, so you should really use something with more mids to complement it.

Mids are your friend!! Keep them in your tone.

Again don't get turned off by getting a V30 cab, if you get one you will be happy, just don't crank it too much(shouldn't need to)! Or run it in a lower ohmage(ie: 16 instead of 4 or 8).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-02-06 at 13:32.
Old 2007-02-06, 14:00
Post-whore

so it's ok to buy an avatar w/ V30's? because if yes im all over the idea (2x12)
Old 2007-02-06, 16:27
Post-whore

Quote:
so it's ok to buy an avatar w/ V30's? because if yes im all over the idea (2x12)

hell yes its okay. Just dont dime the volume
Old 2007-02-06, 17:15
Post-whore

does dime meanput to full?
Old 2007-02-06, 18:12
Post-whore

Quote:
does dime meanput to full?

Yeah but I was exaggerating, just don't crank it too much to be safe. Like never beyond 2-3 o clock or something. If you EVER hear any sort of speaker fizz when playing stuff at high volumes then you're playing it too loud.

Old 2007-02-06, 20:34
Post-whore

3:00, wouldn't that only be at like 7 volume? is it really that loud?
Old 2007-02-06, 20:57
Post-whore

Quote:
3:00, wouldn't that only be at like 7 volume? is it really that loud?

Thats plenty fuckin loud.
Old 2007-02-06, 21:00
Post-whore

Old 2007-02-07, 03:42
Post-whore

Yeah keep in mind it's 140W RMS at 8 ohms. It can probably get much much louder than your little average 15W combo amp only on 2-3, whilst to get that volume on a 15W SS amp you'd probably have to dime the volume.

Old 2007-02-08, 16:51
Post-whore

how do vader cabs and randall cabs sound. im still going with tthe avatar's but just out of curiousity
Old 2007-02-08, 18:17
Post-whore

Quote:
how do vader cabs and randall cabs sound. im still going with tthe avatar's but just out of curiousity

no idea about vaders... supposedly theyre dark.

Randalls use g12t-75's and celestion v30's, so basically, they sound like marshall cabs. They are however a bit larger so they have more bass definition. The cheaper ones (the ones that arent hand built) arent sealed properly though... so sealing them and adding foam to the insides would be recommended.
Old 2007-02-08, 18:40
Post-whore

Vaders are sterile and transparent, they don't color the tone much, they use eminence speakers, they're very well built too I hear, very thick plywood enclosure for a massive lowend.

Randall cabs are awesome depending on which one, not all have the V30 G12-75 combo. I wouldn't say they sound anything like marshall cabs, even cabs with the same speakers will sound different, in any case I don't know any marshall cab that mixes those 2 speakers. The Randall cabs for the Warhead or Cyclone or similar are probably kick ass.

There's one Randall that has a huge 15" speaker and 2 12" speakers and it's ported like those GB G-flexes, as weird as it sounds I hear it sounds goddamn amazing and unique.