MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-02-25, 19:25
123smokey
Metalhead

swapping necks on 2 guitars

i have an ibanez jem and an ibanez gio something

the jem neck has 24 frets the other one has 22 and i want to put the jem neck on the gio and the gio on the jem.
is there going to be any problems in doing this can i just unbolt and bolt on

the only reason i want to do this is that my jem came crashing down when my guitar rack came out of the wall and i need to get it fixed

Old 2006-02-25, 19:43
rapeandruin
Post-whore

that sucks to hear about your jem. I would imagine that as long as the width of the necks at the base were the same and the wholes lined up there would be no problem. I was thinking of switching necks on my jackson for a 24 fret one because I have a 22 fret and some of the frets at the end are uneven.

Old 2006-02-25, 19:50
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

simply wont work. the body on the jem is made for 24 frets and the body on the gio is made for 22 frets. the intonation would be very fucked up. so unless the 24 fret neck has the 23 and 24 frets on a over hang, it wont work. even if it was on an over hang, it would run into the neck pickup. it simply wont work. dont try it.
now i'm not even mentioning the difference of bolt placement. I doubt you want to make new holes in your jem neck to put it on a gio.
simply play your gio as it is now until your jem gets repaired.

Old 2006-02-25, 19:52
HermanRi!
Post-whore

you cant use a 22fret neck on a 24fret guitar period.
it will cause unmanagable intonation and tuning problems which is only cured modifying the guitar..that mod is moving the bridge.
way too much trouble and hassel, i would just get an aanj wizard/wizard II neck on ebay

Old 2006-02-25, 21:58
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
you cant use a 22fret neck on a 24fret guitar period.
it will cause unmanagable intonation and tuning problems which is only cured modifying the guitar..that mod is moving the bridge.
way too much trouble and hassel, i would just get an aanj wizard/wizard II neck on ebay

actully it is possible. though not worth it in anyway for the time and the body he wants to put it on.
first you would have see how the neck fits in the pocket. then measure how much the difference is from the nut to the 12th fret compared to the difference of the 12th fret to the saddle with the new neck on there. it could be as much as an in or so. the goal is to make from the 12th fret to the saddle be exactly the same as from the nut to the 12th fret. you will have to carve in the neck pocket or a combination of the heel of the neck to make up for the extra length added with the extra frets. sounds easy enough? ok well now you run into the problem of the neck pickup. it is likely that you will carve into that or when you put the neck on, the fret over hang will bump into it (JEM's have fret over hangs, right, i cant remember) so if you want to keep the neck pickup, you'll hve to relocate it a bit up. take out the pickups, fill the hole, repaint, route a new hole and rewire it. still want to do this?
haha

well i have recently done this with one of my guitars. a bit different though.
i had gotten a free body made for a 25.5 scale neck. i went on ebay and found a neck of the same brand. it was cheap so i went for it. I never bothered finding out the scale of the neck. just my luck, it was 24.75. the intonation would be really fucked up. so after i little bit, i decide to take my dremel saw with the sander on it and carve about a half an inch into the body to accomodate the new neck. it now has perfect intonation but the body is kinda beat up from the dremel saw. yeah i was sloppy, but the body was free

so anyways. if you want this done. just give me the JEM neck. i will gladly sell it on ebay for you and keep the money. In other words, dont do it.