Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2006-02-04, 10:39
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLDANO-YAMAHA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

There's supposed to be a head version of this amp. This is something I'd look for.

Don't overlook a rack setup too. If you shop right, it won't cost you anywhere near as much as you might expect for great tone.

Such as a Rockmaster
and one of these, and for just under 500$ you've got a bitchin' setup.

Argh... I have no idea how any of those sound. Does that rack setup sound at all like a 5150? How about that Engl E530 Preamp? Such mysteries... It's so hard to decide without even playing an amp.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-02-04, 10:55
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

I can vouch for the Rockmaster because I have one and it is a great bang for your buck. Nice cleans and good gain. Separate loops for every channel and a global loop.
Old 2006-02-04, 11:55
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
the engl 530 sounds kind of marshall like

it has a really open/dynamic sound
Old 2006-02-06, 00:12
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Or something like this?
Old 2006-02-06, 00:15
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Or something like this?

Useless... I have a practice amp, I meant a real rig.

I'll look into that Rockmaster preamp, Engl E530, BV-120(or 50), JCM900 and the 5150/6505. I'll see whatever I can try. Thanks for all the help.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-02-06, 00:20
Jono

e530 is better than the rockpro,and I would pick a 5150 over a jcm900 for metal.Not that the jcm's cant do it,they just lack a bit much gain.
Old 2006-02-06, 00:42
Post-whore

Quote:
e530 is better than the rockpro,and I would pick a 5150 over a jcm900 for metal.Not that the jcm's cant do it,they just lack a bit much gain.

I understand that about the JCM, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Besides, I use high gain pickups and I wouldn't mind using a tubescreamer of some sort.

But yeah, if the E530 has a Marshally dynamic sound, I guess that's the perfect excuse for me to ditch the idea of a JCM900, as that Engl preamp has lots of gain/balls right? I assume how much you drive that preamp with a poweramp is what gives it the balls, what are some poweramps to consider?

Holy crap, how about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/DEGARMOs-SOLDAN...1QQcmdZViewItem

How's that? Take a look at who the owner was too.

So my options are:

Heads/Combos: 5150/6505, XXX, Blue Voodoo, JCM900.

Preamps: Engl E530, Peavey Rockmaster, ...

What about ROCKTRON preamps? Anyone tried any? I know Jim Malone of Arsis uses a Chameleon 2000, which is a rather cheap preamp(not tube). I like the crunchyness on their record but is it a good preamp? The Rocktron Prophecy is an all tube preamp... there's a fuckload of people bidding on the only one on ebay right now too. Must be rare and great I suppose?

Old 2006-02-06, 06:45
Jono

Prophecy's are the fucking shit if you can afford one.e530 is quite marshallesque,but way more balls.Check out peavey classic poweramps,they go pretty cheap,with an engl.
Old 2006-02-06, 15:11
Post-whore

Quote:
Prophecy's are the fucking shit if you can afford one.e530 is quite marshallesque,but way more balls.Check out peavey classic poweramps,they go pretty cheap,with an engl.

Cool, they go for quite cheap.

So how about this:

Engl E530 (500 bucks) + Power amp(250 bucks) + cab(how much, like 250 for a good 2x12 or 4x12? Reccomend some good cabs for around 250$, store price, as I won't buy a cab on ebay due to 100$+ shipping). I heard some 530 samples, sounded pretty fuckin professional.

So I'd get a kick ass rig for 1000 bucks, not bad. I'm still considering the BV and 5150, as those will be easier to find and try out. Time to open that new savings account.

Edit: I can also get a rack power conditioner for like 60$ right? That's something I'd want to invest in, as well as a hotplate perhaps. I'd be looking at 1200$ if I grab the hotplate... Hmm, how are those "volume boxes"? Do they really work as well as a hotplate? Otherwise, my neighbours will have to put up with my racket until I have enough for a THD hotplate. Perfect excuse to ask every neighbor to put in some cash to do that.

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-02-06 at 15:31.
Old 2006-02-06, 15:47
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HalfmastTrousers
The 530 is a great preamp, I'd recommend it to anyone. You can EQ it to anything you want, but it leans towards an 80s metal sound. that's not all it can do, with the right equipment it pulls off anything from jazz to death metal (i'm not even kidding, it's freakin' versatile) Make sure you have a good poweramp and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE invest in a good cab. The cab will have more effect on your overall tone than your poweramp.

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven
Old 2006-02-06, 16:05
Post-whore

I am aware that the cabs/speakers are very important. What can I get for 250$ new? I think I prefer a 2x12 as it will be easier to move from place to place, and it'll be less expensive. And when I'm gigging and shit I'll invest in a 4x12.

I considered the Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, but it's way outta my price range. What other 2x12's are good for 250? Anything will do, so long as it's decent, but in that price range. I'm not bI don't want a bassy sound, I'll leave that up to my EQ, just a regular cab with Celestions or vintage Celestions or whatever, don't really know much about speakers. I guess I prefer closed back to prevent dust from building up, and that gives it a more compressed sound too right?

Old 2006-02-06, 18:10
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I am aware that the cabs/speakers are very important. What can I get for 250$ new? I think I prefer a 2x12 as it will be easier to move from place to place, and it'll be less expensive. And when I'm gigging and shit I'll invest in a 4x12.

I considered the Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, but it's way outta my price range. What other 2x12's are good for 250? Anything will do, so long as it's decent, but in that price range. I'm not bI don't want a bassy sound, I'll leave that up to my EQ, just a regular cab with Celestions or vintage Celestions or whatever, don't really know much about speakers. I guess I prefer closed back to prevent dust from building up, and that gives it a more compressed sound too right?

The G-Flex can be had for pretty cheap if I remember correctly. I might get one for a 3 quarter stack. Try rocksolidamps, I think Derek still sells them.
Old 2006-02-06, 20:02
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Useless... I have a practice amp, I meant a real rig.

I'll look into that Rockmaster preamp, Engl E530, BV-120(or 50), JCM900 and the 5150/6505. I'll see whatever I can try. Thanks for all the help.

Look into the Triple XXX, great bang for your buck. And fuck Marshall's, they are way overrated.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped
Old 2006-02-07, 00:39
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
Look into the Triple XXX, great bang for your buck. And fuck Marshall's, they are way overrated.

Meh,marshall's are alright.Not generally high gain amps,but JCM900's and JTM's definately not overated.Same with their cabs.Marshall's are generic and basic, but not overated.
Old 2006-02-07, 01:11
Post-whore

Just got back from a Nile show. They used JCM2000's. Fuckin brutal if you ask me, but I figure they used a booster pedal/have their 2000's modded.

I hear the XXX is a dark amp, like slightly muddy. I'm seeking pure sound clarity, which is why I'm aiming a lot for that Engl Preamp, got my eyes set on that. I will try the BV-120 or 50 as well as the 5150 if I can.

Old 2006-02-07, 01:18
Jono

Cranked JCM's are tits.5150's sound like the amp for you.
Old 2006-02-07, 11:28
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Timur
The DSL 100 is a kick ass amp, not only "ok", and it does not need a boost to get a nice tone, do not compare this amp to the TSL 100. I personally think marshalls are underrated because of all overrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy
A DOD Death Metal pedal works just fine, but only with a decent Marshall. I run mine thru an MG30 watt combo, and it's brutal.
Old 2006-02-07, 14:41
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Just got back from a Nile show. They used JCM2000's. Fuckin brutal if you ask me, but I figure they used a booster pedal/have their 2000's modded.

I hear the XXX is a dark amp, like slightly muddy. I'm seeking pure sound clarity, which is why I'm aiming a lot for that Engl Preamp, got my eyes set on that. I will try the BV-120 or 50 as well as the 5150 if I can.

The JCMs aren't really high gain amps as far as I am concerned. I have played several at shops and wasn't even half impressed. As for the Triple XXX, it has more low end seemingly than the 5150, but if you EQ it correctly it can sound pretty much exactly like the tone from bands that use the 5150. Cheers

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped
Old 2006-02-07, 14:57
Post-whore

fuck everything else, just get yourself a marshall jcm2000 dsl 100, i have this amp and its everything a metal head can ever want, awesome distortion, awesome clean, basically a great amp, play one and you'll see

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!
Old 2006-02-07, 15:32
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
The JCMs aren't really high gain amps as far as I am concerned. I have played several at shops and wasn't even half impressed. As for the Triple XXX, it has more low end seemingly than the 5150, but if you EQ it correctly it can sound pretty much exactly like the tone from bands that use the 5150. Cheers

the 900's and 2000's have plenty of gain. the 800's don't.

you have to have them turned up past like 2-3 for the sound to open up.

didn't you just barely have a thread asking about the xxx v.s. 5150?
5150's and xxx's sound nothing alike in real life.