MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2006-01-30, 01:44
Mayhem666
New Blood

tonic 7th

..whats a tonic 7th chord? and how does it apply to scales?

Old 2006-01-30, 01:53
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

THe tonic is the root tone of a scale, for example, C is the tonic of the C major scale:
C - D - E - F - G - A - B

and a dominant 7th chord would be

C-E-G-Bb

Does that answer your question?

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped

Old 2006-01-30, 20:53
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Search and you'll find a couple 7th chord threads here.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-01-31, 23:27
Mayhem666
New Blood

shouldnt the Bb just be a B? and another question.. how do you find what key your in? sorry im so lost

Old 2006-02-04, 01:47
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

No, it should be a Bb because in a dominant 7th chord the seventh tone is flattened.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped

Old 2006-02-04, 02:22
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

I will contribute a little so that you don't have to look far mainly because I'm broke and at the dorms on a friday night. but like he said a dominant chord or major minor 7th. . . yeah had to call it those in theory one. but anyways, for a lot of it has to do with chord relativity within a key. For example if you were do look at each pattern from each note in C Major( C D E F G A B C) and compare the whole step half step pattens from each note it is a little different. to use the scale itself to form your chords, you use a triad or in this case, well whatever you would call four stacked thirds. . . diad maybe? dunno, jack refuses to let me remember. Anyways, 7th chords. your C 7th chord is a major 7th(C E G B) then D is a minor 7th (D F A C) E is another minor 7th, I hope you can see how I am making that pattern, just take the C major scale, then take one note skip the next, use one skip the next until you are one note before the note you started, that forms a seventh chord in layman terms. . . anyways, the dominant seventh, in comparison to the major scale has one flat. . . which is the seventh, which implies that it is a natural major scale with a minor seventh. . . .okay probably explained nothing but all that typing deserves to get posted. kinda hard to explain anyways though, just all goes back to knowledge of scales and key signatures. . . lotta good books on it, but like, that is why when you go into G major, you have to sharpen the F because it is naturally flattened for a dominant chord in the key of C major. . . yeah. . okay hope I didn't confuse you guy. later.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered