MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2006-01-23, 11:41
bullocksfromhell bullocksfromhell is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
Cool Fingering double strokes

Hey guys,
i need some help in fingering technique, i can easily play single strokes using fingers, but when it comes to doubles i have to use my wrists and i can't use my fingers!!!!! i personally think the sticks are kindda thin for me (i use 8D sticks) as my hands are kinda big, So can anyone please help me out, may be with some instructional vids.............


~~~~~~~~~HAIL METAL ARMY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2006-01-23, 21:04
NZ black metal drumm NZ black metal drumm is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In the Uber Kvlt shithole (NZ)
Posts: 1,102
okay with the double, you use WRIST AND FINGERS

you do the first hit with the wrist then controll the second stroke with your fingers, think of it as a 'Drop and Catch' motion,
__________________
omg t3h @x1s p3d@ls @r3 t3h b3st!!!!!!1!!11
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2006-01-23, 22:11
The Execrator's Avatar
The Execrator The Execrator is offline
Noob lud
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upstate New Yaawwk
Posts: 3,498
8D? What the fuck.

You should use your wrist with double strokes, you don't want doubles to weak. Nobody like weak sounding rolls. I don't even use fingers for single strokes anymore. I've been working on using all wrists, sounds alot better to me.
__________________
9/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2006-01-24, 01:05
bullocksfromhell bullocksfromhell is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
8D? What the fuck.

You should use your wrist with double strokes, you don't want doubles to weak. Nobody like weak sounding rolls. I don't even use fingers for single strokes anymore. I've been working on using all wrists, sounds alot better to me.




DUDE, BUT THE CONCEPT BEHIND USING YOUR FINGERS IS WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR WRISTS YOU ARE MOVING YOUR HANDS WHICH CONTAIN FINGERS, SO YOU NEED MORE ENERGY AS WRIST IS MORE HEAVIER THAN FINGERS COZ (HANDS + FINGERS WEIGHT > FINGERS WEIGHT), BUT WHEN IT COMES TO USING UR FINGERS URE JUST USING YOUR FINGERS AND NOTHIN ELSE SO YOU CONSERVE A LOT OF ENERGY WHILE PLAYING SPEEDY STUFFS WHICH IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESP. IF U'RE INTO DEATHMETAL DRUMMING AND I THINK USING FINGERS CAN BE MORE FASTER THAN USING YOUR WRISTS, I TOO USED TO BLAST USING MY WRIST BUT NOW THAT I'VE STARTED TO USE MY FINGERS. BLAST BEATS ARE NO MORE PUNISHING FOR ME AND ITS MORE FASTER, LOUDER AND STEADY. AND DUDE NO I DON'T THINK USING UR FINGERS WILL MAKE YOU SOUND WEAK, TAKE FOR INSTANCE ART VERDI OR VIGIL DOANATI OR TERRI BOZIO OR METAL STARS LIKE FLO MOUNIER, DEREK RODDY , CHIS ADLER ETC THEY ALL USE THIER FINGERS. SO DUDE GIVE IT A THOUGHT.


~~~~~~~~~`HAIL METAL ARMY`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2006-01-24, 03:40
NZ black metal drumm NZ black metal drumm is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In the Uber Kvlt shithole (NZ)
Posts: 1,102
dude turn caps lock off!

the theory behind doubles is that each hit comes from a different part of your body, Eg wrist then fingers, you watch flo do doubles, Wrist-finger, do a stroke each, rather than one appendage try do both (which would be physically impossible if you are trying to do fast doubles) while fingers can be fine for playing fast etc. for metal you can just as easily use wrists, look at Mike Mangini, fastest hands in the world, I have seen the guy do 320+ bpm 16ths pure wrist motion, and I can tell you that they are loud as fuck, even etc.
__________________
omg t3h @x1s p3d@ls @r3 t3h b3st!!!!!!1!!11
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2006-01-24, 11:43
The Execrator's Avatar
The Execrator The Execrator is offline
Noob lud
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upstate New Yaawwk
Posts: 3,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocksfromhell
DUDE, BUT THE CONCEPT BEHIND USING YOUR FINGERS IS WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR WRISTS YOU ARE MOVING YOUR HANDS WHICH CONTAIN FINGERS, SO YOU NEED MORE ENERGY AS WRIST IS MORE HEAVIER THAN FINGERS COZ (HANDS + FINGERS WEIGHT > FINGERS WEIGHT), BUT WHEN IT COMES TO USING UR FINGERS URE JUST USING YOUR FINGERS AND NOTHIN ELSE SO YOU CONSERVE A LOT OF ENERGY WHILE PLAYING SPEEDY STUFFS WHICH IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESP. IF U'RE INTO DEATHMETAL DRUMMING AND I THINK USING FINGERS CAN BE MORE FASTER THAN USING YOUR WRISTS, I TOO USED TO BLAST USING MY WRIST BUT NOW THAT I'VE STARTED TO USE MY FINGERS. BLAST BEATS ARE NO MORE PUNISHING FOR ME AND ITS MORE FASTER, LOUDER AND STEADY. AND DUDE NO I DON'T THINK USING UR FINGERS WILL MAKE YOU SOUND WEAK, TAKE FOR INSTANCE ART VERDI OR VIGIL DOANATI OR TERRI BOZIO OR METAL STARS LIKE FLO MOUNIER, DEREK RODDY , CHIS ADLER ETC THEY ALL USE THIER FINGERS. SO DUDE GIVE IT A THOUGHT.


~~~~~~~~~`HAIL METAL ARMY`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't read a sentence of that without it pissing me off. Due to the caps, im assuming everything you said was unintelligent.
__________________
9/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2006-01-24, 12:35
antipunx's Avatar
antipunx antipunx is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: hickland illinois baby!
Posts: 379
none of it even makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2006-01-25, 13:44
Vomitor Vomitor is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 81
He asked for advice then got mad. Pure finger doubles will never be faster than wrist/finger doubles. I figured this out the hard way. It's the same as playing guitar i.e. alternate picking. If you use only fingers and no wrists you are essentially eliminating one half of the equation. If you want strong fingers use a tensioned hand grip. Also the wrist joint is much looser than the finger joints. On top of that you you're right, there is more weight, which for blasting makes it heavier. Take Suffocation's Mike Smith for example, he uses wrists when blasting. That's why he is one of the most brutal blasters out there. You want finger blasts, listen to Hellhammer from Mayhem. Yeah it's faster, but by far weaker. A lot of drummers that use only fingers trigger their kits due to this fact.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2006-01-25, 13:46
Vomitor Vomitor is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 81
The fact is you should work on every aspect, don't limit yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2006-01-26, 19:05
low-tech's Avatar
low-tech low-tech is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: providence
Posts: 1,863
goes the same way with double bass, you got to stomp that shit for high volume and it is possible, you deffinately gas out quicker but it'll only make you stronger, tired of seeing triggered out tappers both foot and hand
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2006-03-04, 03:37
Grond's Avatar
Grond Grond is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: hamburg, germany
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocksfromhell
DUDE, BUT THE CONCEPT BEHIND USING YOUR FINGERS IS WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR WRISTS YOU ARE MOVING YOUR HANDS WHICH CONTAIN FINGERS, SO YOU NEED MORE ENERGY AS WRIST IS MORE HEAVIER THAN FINGERS COZ (HANDS + FINGERS WEIGHT > FINGERS WEIGHT), BUT WHEN IT COMES TO USING UR FINGERS URE JUST USING YOUR FINGERS AND NOTHIN ELSE SO YOU CONSERVE A LOT OF ENERGY WHILE PLAYING SPEEDY STUFFS WHICH IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESP. IF U'RE INTO DEATHMETAL DRUMMING AND I THINK USING FINGERS CAN BE MORE FASTER THAN USING YOUR WRISTS, I TOO USED TO BLAST USING MY WRIST BUT NOW THAT I'VE STARTED TO USE MY FINGERS. BLAST BEATS ARE NO MORE PUNISHING FOR ME AND ITS MORE FASTER, LOUDER AND STEADY. AND DUDE NO I DON'T THINK USING UR FINGERS WILL MAKE YOU SOUND WEAK, TAKE FOR INSTANCE ART VERDI OR VIGIL DOANATI OR TERRI BOZIO OR METAL STARS LIKE FLO MOUNIER, DEREK RODDY , CHIS ADLER ETC THEY ALL USE THIER FINGERS. SO DUDE GIVE IT A THOUGHT.

oh, my god...
I wouldnt be in the mood to read all that "caps lock"-crap...^^
Why is he getting that mad if somebody wants to answer his question
__________________
Grond, drummer of the Viking Metal band "Norse"
Sorry, but my english is bad...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:59.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.