MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Poetry Lyrical

Old 2006-01-06, 02:48
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Questions or Comments?

Are there things related to the lyrics forum that anyone would like to discuss that aren't specific to a particular piece? Topics? Likes and dislikes of your own writing? Things you'd like to change or improve on? What makes you write? Do you have to be in a certain frame of mind? Is music involved?
I'm just throwing out some ideas. A few of us have talked the past couple days and I got the go ahead to post it. If it's worthy of it being stickied that will happen. If it doesn't fly maybe there will be some ideas for us to share at least.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2006-01-06, 06:29
Amadeus
Quantum.

Sounds fairly interesting. Something like a music theory forum, only for lyrics and poetry instead, is that what you are getting at?

Well, I do think that would be quite right. Look beyond the growling and screaming - necessary ingredients, don't get me wrong - of any good metal song, and you see that the lyrics are often quite impressing. At least to me, good lyrics is a must to actually like a song; and from that point of view it is only natural to want to discuss the hows and whys of making them.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-01-06, 11:56
Brutur
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Sounds fairly interesting. Something like a music theory forum, only for lyrics and poetry instead, is that what you are getting at?

Well, I do think that would be quite right. Look beyond the growling and screaming - necessary ingredients, don't get me wrong - of any good metal song, and you see that the lyrics are often quite impressing. At least to me, good lyrics is a must to actually like a song; and from that point of view it is only natural to want to discuss the hows and whys of making them.

no, she is not getting at a poetry music theory forum.... but this is involved too! its more the question why we write and what gets us to write something.

I personally think this is a great idea, and we can see and improve our own work and the work of others, through the accomplishments in this thread.
there's no Victory
My Dear!"
- by Devil Doll (The Girl who was... Death)

"In an Insane World,
an Insane Man,
MUST appear Insane,"
- Alien 3

Old 2006-01-06, 16:38
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

You're both right. It's intended to be a place for you to discuss all the general aspects of writing that wouldn't be appropriate in threads devoted to critiques of specific works. That's pretty all-inclusive, so take advantage of it if you care to.

Old 2006-01-06, 16:39
Amadeus
Quantum.

My my, that was broad. Though it will probably be most interesting once, and if, it gets started.

May we have a mod comment on this?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-01-06, 22:05
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Umm, I could have sworn I'd posted again here.

Okay, I'll try to get the ball rolling. Since there's the other thread about having writer's block, do you find yourself worrying when it hits or do you ride it out patiently? Do you ever write yourself out of it?

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2006-01-06, 22:14
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I am the mod.

Old 2006-01-06, 22:58
Transient
HES BAAACK

when i get writes block i dont write

actually i dont write much at all , so...

Old 2006-01-06, 23:14
sqol
Post-whore

I find it quite frustrating to find a suitable topic to write upon, and when writers block happens. If im taking a cycle in the nearby woods, it'll really help on clearing my mind and writing some more

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-01-07, 16:34
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
I am the mod.

Yes, I know you are. Don't worry I'm not trying to downrate you; but you happened to post at same time as I was writing.

There are a multitude of methods to get around writers block. One is to start by ripping off someone else, just to find the right tone for the piece. But damn you to something slimy should you present it before it is one hundred percent your own.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-01-08, 18:36
Amadeus
Quantum.

Here was awfully quiet. Is there really so few of all the metaltabbers that are interested in discussing the hows and whys of lyric writing?

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-01-08, 20:10
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Maybe there's no inspiration for question asking presently? I know I could think of all sorts of things til I brought the subject up.

Does anyone have a particular place where you seem to write more? Do you write only about specifics or is there no limit to subject matter?

I used to mostly write in a notebook. The computer was very hard for me to get used to writing on. It took a couple years to do. For a long time weekend mornings at work was the only time I'd write. It was quiet and I was alone.

Old 2006-01-09, 23:04
Brutur
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Maybe there's no inspiration for question asking presently? I know I could think of all sorts of things til I brought the subject up.

Does anyone have a particular place where you seem to write more? Do you write only about specifics or is there no limit to subject matter?

I used to mostly write in a notebook. The computer was very hard for me to get used to writing on. It took a couple years to do. For a long time weekend mornings at work was the only time I'd write. It was quiet and I was alone.

I could talk like a waterfall about all these topics, but Time is not always available.

Now, to come to your questions.... Its not about quantity, it is about Quality. But I will rephrase your quesiton into: Does anyone have a particular place where you seem to have more Inspiration?

Yes, of course... I'm going for inspirational walk around the corner nearly everyday. I do this at midnight, when no soul wanders thorugh the ill-lighted streets. I think about certain Topics or concerns, and build those ideas into complex ideas. Well, when I'm finished with my thinking process, I go to the nearby forest here, with pen and paper, and jsut write down my Ideas on paper. I think about them more and more, till something strikes me and makes me write it down in a poetic way. The quietness in the forest helps me to develop my ideas, and the sorrounding helps me to find the right words to use.

Do you write only about specifics or is there no limit to subject matter?
Well, the subject matter is from day to day different, because I think about different topics/subjects which have influenced my being itself from certain happenings.
there's no Victory
My Dear!"

"In an Insane World,
an Insane Man,
MUST appear Insane,"
- Alien 3

Old 2006-01-09, 23:41
Transient
HES BAAACK

nights walking around ill-lit german streets? writing in a forest?
i just stare at the little blinking fellow and type to make it stop

Old 2006-01-09, 23:48
Brutur
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
nights walking around ill-lit german streets? writing in a forest?
i just stare at the little blinking fellow and type to make it stop

what the hell do you mean?
there's no Victory
My Dear!"

"In an Insane World,
an Insane Man,
MUST appear Insane,"
- Alien 3

Old 2006-01-09, 23:48
Transient
HES BAAACK

when you reply to this, click inside the reply window and look at the black line that is there. see how it blinks? in Notepad when you type it stops blinking

Old 2006-01-10, 00:04
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Oh, I see. I never paid attention to that. I write on Wordpad when I write on the computer. I don't know if there's a blinky thing or not.

I went out in my back field and parked myself under the low-branched pines and just sat there awhile. I had paper and pencil with me. It was cool because the birds would get extremely close to me back there and weren't scared at all. I used part of the experience in a Clash of Swords piece I did several years ago. the woods themselves have give me good inspiration.

Old 2006-01-10, 11:46
Brutur
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
when you reply to this, click inside the reply window and look at the black line that is there. see how it blinks? in Notepad when you type it stops blinking

oh crazy.... well thats going to follow me the rest of my life.... can't stop looking at it....
there's no Victory
My Dear!"

"In an Insane World,
an Insane Man,
MUST appear Insane,"
- Alien 3

Old 2006-01-10, 12:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutur
Yes, of course... I'm going for inspirational walk around the corner nearly everyday. I do this at midnight, when no soul wanders thorugh the ill-lighted streets. I think about certain Topics or concerns, and build those ideas into complex ideas. Well, when I'm finished with my thinking process, I go to the nearby forest here, with pen and paper, and jsut write down my Ideas on paper. I think about them more and more, till something strikes me and makes me write it down in a poetic way. The quietness in the forest helps me to develop my ideas, and the sorrounding helps me to find the right words to use.

Do you write only about specifics or is there no limit to subject matter?
Well, the subject matter is from day to day different, because I think about different topics/subjects which have influenced my being itself from certain happenings.

Interesting, I grab inspiration at 'silent' moments too. for instance when I'm riding the last train home at night. or when I'm driving through some pretty scenery on my motorbike, I usually stop to chill out for five minutes and enjoy every bit of it. Allways when there's no soul around.. I like silence and desolation at times.

I don't write about specifics but there's usually a life's lesson or experience in my lyrics. that's why I'm not all too eager to post them down every time. Some make it onto a cd, most don't. Most of them stay mine.

Anyways, interesting topic. I haven't been around for a while but it's good to see some people still put some effort in this forum, for that, I salute you.

Old 2006-01-10, 14:58
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Well, it's good to have you back Def.
I just had an inspiration within the past hour and found some scrap paper and pen to jot a few lines before I forgot them. I was upstairs cleaning and dusting my bookcase and going through some stuff that had accumulated when I thought about a conversation I had with a friend the other day about the water tower up the street and a story that grew up with me about it. Hopefully that will work itself into more. Of course I'll post it when it's done. It's my way of being an exhibitionist.
In the accumulation I found a solitary piece I'd written to my mentor about a year after we "met" on the net. That brought a smile to my face.

Old 2006-01-14, 02:23
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

shit, I gotta get writing. Right now I'm more preocupied (sp?) on the music, writing guitar riffs, playing with my voice haha, but I should get to writing some songs lyric-wise. too bad I suck ass. haha

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-01-14, 12:33
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Well, maybe that's just the part of the wave you're in right now or maybe you're like me and do one thing better than the other. I'm not very good on guitar, but I think my lyrics can be pretty cool sometimes. I still try to pick up the guitar more than I was and it's helped, but I do that because of encouragement I've gotten from other people. Give writing a shot sometime and post at this forum or pm me or one of your friends here to read it. I didn't write for years because I didn't think it was very good and the "audience" that read didn't seem too enthused, but once I found peers that made a huge difference and I learned to perfect it more. It doesn't hurt to try.

Old 2006-01-14, 21:55
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

I'll do that. I have tried out a few times, some responses were good, alot bad, haha.. but I'll keep trying for sure. The last piece I wrote was an extremely not to be taken seriously emo-murder song, but I didn't bother putting that up on here

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-01-15, 01:09
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Well, if it's something you might want to use and you'd like to improve on it, post it with those intentions in the thread and we'll see what we can do with it --or tell you it sucks beyond belief.

Old 2006-01-20, 13:11
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

It happened again this year. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6844817/

Happy b-day Edgar!
I bet he'd have been a goth/metalhead.

Old 2006-01-24, 02:22
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

This is an intresting topic. I often times feel that i get writers block. But i absolutly nowadays get Guitar composing block..

I'm in such a rut right now its so ridiculous. I pumped out like 17 hella quality, original songs.. and i can't come up with anything. And when i do.. i basically get bored cause it took me so long to come up with 1 riff that i'll just put it down.. and thast the end of that.

But anyways about lyrics. I dunno I write when i'm sitting in class or at night. I write the best when i've had a few beers haha. but thats i guess a common thing. If i come up with a block... very often what happens to ge tme out.. is i'll listen to a song and it will get stuck in my head.. (like a very good song.) And.. the mood from that song will literally force me to come up with something. (not so much the rhythm or how the lyrics are in that song) but just my interpretations of the overall sound and the feelings involked from the music.

Shit i wrote 2 "songs" or "poems" today off one song.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-01-24, 11:46
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

As far as writing a lot and then not being able to get much I think that I get mentally exhausted after a high point like that. Everything has rhythms and I think that's like the crash of the wave when a tide hits the beach. You have to wait for the water to receed and build up it's strength again. After I wrote one piece in particular "Passion Denied Pt.1. " I couldn't hit anything up to that calibre for quite awhile because I needed to get my momentum back. The piece took so much out of me I was exhausted for words.
The thing is not to worry about it and do like you've done and keep writing little snippets. Don't get discouraged and when that wave comes again ride it for all you're worth and enjoy the high. It's great!

Old 2006-01-25, 14:07
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I'm so pissed right now I could spit! I had a few verses and a chorus written, but I hadn't saved it yet. I hit the ctrl z and lost about half of it!! It's gone forever now and I was even getting a melody for it! I HATE when I do something like that!!! Writer's frustration.

someone gimme a damn pencil...... I think I should really write that way again. and then just copy them.

I had to rant. thx

Old 2006-01-26, 02:14
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Damn that blows. I actually have that as an almost phobia now. I'm too afraid of my computer goin down and me losing all my work. Luckily i've backed it up every now and again. (every few months) But if i lost.. sheet like 5 or 7 sets of lyrics i'd be fucked.. Not to mention alot of my newer recordings, I haven't backed up any of my drums, or their loops. So if my computer crashed... i would be.. very unhappy.. to say the least.

Moral of the story. Save often =)
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-01-26, 11:16
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Oh yeah, I lost a whole lot of stuff when my old pc was hit by lightning. I had an indoor surge protector on it, but I lost a lot of things I'd written in a certain timeframe. I have a couple notebooks with my pieces in and I've also got a section of my file cabinet I keep hardcopies in. It's no fun to lose all that. I've even got it posted at the forum where I mod to not trust the site for preservation and to keep copies of one's own.

Old 2006-01-29, 08:09
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

When I write good, it's usually when I'm in a black metal mood; so I'm pissed at something, and there's silence around me.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-02-10, 05:29
Tulvox
Post-whore

I suppose I explain iambic pentameter, stressed and unstressed syllables, but it happens naturally as we speak, so it's not horribly necessary.

I think that it is most important when writing to finish your idea. If it's all fragmented, or fragmented without a point, it piece seems empty and lackluster.

The second most important thing is emotion. I read a piece from a guy I know, great words, great rthythm, complete thoughts and everything... But it was told in a narrative style and lost all its power. Write like you are talking to someone, not reflecting in a diary. Assert your thoughts. Write to kick the reader/listen in the face, not drown them in something that actually has potential. This all relates to passive voice.

www.maddox.xmission.com