MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2005-12-14, 23:35
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

tone

i was wondering as to your opinions on tone, which i think we can all agree is one of the most important aspects of bass playng. personally i prefer a sound thats heavy on the low end(you know where it feels like the low notes are punching you in the chest), so i set my lows pretty high on my amp as well as on my tone knob on the actual bass. i tend to use a fairly high mid-range presence in my settings so i can cut through two guitars and a double bass pedal. i also prefer plucking on the bridge pick up to get a more stacatto/jaco-esque sound out of it. the only time i use a pedal is the overdrive through one cabinet (or on VERY rare ocassion the fuzz wah) and the clean tone through the other. how do you guys get your tone? effects, EQ settings,etc..?

Old 2005-12-15, 01:42
cw4119
Senior Metalhead

Currently my ibanez amp is set to high gain, max bass, low-mid Middle, mid Treble, mid presence, and my bass tone is mid-high. My bass settings are similar to the amp i believe

I dont know how this sounds when youre playing with a band tho cuz i havent been in a serious one yet

Old 2005-12-15, 17:52
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

tone

its all a matter of your preference on your sound, but your settings will definitely vary depending on which type of music you are playing. cool to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Old 2005-12-15, 21:40
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I like a nice growly low bassy tone for fingerstyle, and with tapping the treble will go up so you can hear the clank of the strings a bit and so that the notes ring out nicely, and with slapping a bit of both (treble and bass half way up)..

when playing live i use a Boss odb3 with no fuzz, just gain and more bass for volume in between song sections.

But yeah, tone is important and everyone has there own preferences about there tone and how they want it to sound, unless you dont actually care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-12-16, 19:13
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

I agree on the low end side of things, but i turn my highs up a little and my prescence so I get overtones when I play high notes. Getting a good low sound is very important. Clarity amidst chaos is important. When the bass is fuzzy along with the guitars you barely hear it. It just sounds like another electric guitar!!!

I play an esp bp-50 and when I play live either through my schools peavey centurion ( 450 watt) with a black widow cab or my youth groups Peavey amp ( newer one, not sure what kind it is, but is about 400 watts). MY amp bites so I wont mention it .

I also play either close to the neck ( for low loud notes) or close to the bridge ( for bouncy fast attack like Jaco).

Old 2005-12-16, 19:44
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

i usually leave the treb at the middle, the mids up high, and the bass a little higher than mid, that gives me about the funk/primus-like sound I like. I dont really know for metal, i dont really play metal on bass, i do on normal guitar but i am a slap n' popper at heart. Damn i love primus

Old 2005-12-20, 15:42
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((Nervous)) Texx
i usually leave the treb at the middle, the mids up high, and the bass a little higher than mid, that gives me about the funk/primus-like sound I like. I dont really know for metal, i dont really play metal on bass, i do on normal guitar but i am a slap n' popper at heart. Damn i love primus

yep les will tear you a new one, but dude metal is just as fun as alot of funk lines if you find the right bands

Old 2005-12-20, 20:09
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
yep les will tear you a new one, but dude metal is just as fun as alot of funk lines if you find the right bands

true, if you look in the right places you can find some awesome basslines and funkish stuff in metal but it jsut isnt as prominent as i prefer my basslines to me. i love metal but to me if you are gonna play bass, might was well go big i suppose.