MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2005-12-13, 23:34
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Emg 81-7s?

I'm considering getting a seven string guitar because I'm getting really into the hyperblast style shit and am sick of downtuning (I'm currently using B). I was just wondering what Seven string pickup would work best, preferably active, and what the most cost effective guitar would be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2005-12-14, 00:19
m3talhead666's Avatar
m3talhead666 m3talhead666 is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 409
Well a good active pickup for a 7 string guitar is the EMG 707 (7 string version of the 85) i think it should cost around $100 but im not sure though. I also heard something about making a 7 string version of the 81
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2005-12-14, 00:27
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Hmmm. That might work... Its housed in a Bass pickup though, and I don't want to do any routing... I may just get one of those steven carpenter ESP's and wire it to 18volts and be done with it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2005-12-14, 00:30
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
the 707 blows
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2005-12-14, 00:36
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
the 707 blows

Well, its either that or get a regular scale guitar and tune it to B, which I'm fine with doing. I just want some sick EMG tone without a floyd.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2005-12-14, 00:43
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Well, its either that or get a regular scale guitar and tune it to B, which I'm fine with doing. I just want some sick EMG tone without a floyd.

a 81-7 in the brigde + a 707 in the neck... basically a 81-85 setup, but for a 7 string.

any reason you have to have an active pickup? have you checked out dimarzios? they make some sick stuff for 7 strings. duncan has great 7 string pickups too.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2005-12-14, 01:46
Cyberwaste's Avatar
Cyberwaste Cyberwaste is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cyberdyne, USA
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
the 707 blows


Do you own a 707 dude? Well i do & its awesome, And read these comments about my tone, because the 707 is where 99% of my tone comes from.

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthre...5&page=45&pp=20

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthre...5&page=53&pp=20

Plus the 707 isnt totally based on the 85 its different, which is why its not called the 85-7, but the 81-7 is also an excellent pickup, if you have a 6-string 81 or played one its the same thing. Just go to harmony-central.com & read the customer reviews on the 707 & 81-7, because the reviews are from actual players & not manufactures. And you can find spec info on the 707 & the 81-7 on the web. Everything i ever found on the web was that everybody prefered the 707 over the 81-7, which i agree also. I ve had them both & the 81-7 just didnt have the tone that i was looking for & the 707 just blew it away. But to each his own.

Last edited by Cyberwaste : 2005-12-14 at 02:00.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2005-12-14, 12:37
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
Do you own a 707 dude? Well i do & its awesome, And read these comments about my tone, because the 707 is where 99% of my tone comes from.

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthre...5&page=45&pp=20

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthre...5&page=53&pp=20

Plus the 707 isnt totally based on the 85 its different, which is why its not called the 85-7, but the 81-7 is also an excellent pickup, if you have a 6-string 81 or played one its the same thing. Just go to harmony-central.com & read the customer reviews on the 707 & 81-7, because the reviews are from actual players & not manufactures. And you can find spec info on the 707 & the 81-7 on the web. Everything i ever found on the web was that everybody prefered the 707 over the 81-7, which i agree also. I ve had them both & the 81-7 just didnt have the tone that i was looking for & the 707 just blew it away. But to each his own.


yes actually he does/has... and that's sad if %99 of your tone is in your pickups.

harmony central reviews can't be entirely trusted... you get alot of asshats on there... "MAN I JUST BOUGHT THIS BROOTEL 707 EMG 20 MINUTES AGO TO PUT IN MY AX3!! MY LIMP BIZKIT COVERS ARE GOING TO SOUND SOO MUCHJ BETTER!! I CAN"T WAIT TO ACTUALLY PLAY IT!!!!1"

it's cool if you like it... but i personally don't dig the 707 in the bridge....
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2005-12-14, 12:53
Cyberwaste's Avatar
Cyberwaste Cyberwaste is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cyberdyne, USA
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
yes actually he does/has... and that's sad if %99 of your tone is in your pickups.

harmony central reviews can't be entirely trusted... you get alot of asshats on there... "MAN I JUST BOUGHT THIS BROOTEL 707 EMG 20 MINUTES AGO TO PUT IN MY AX3!! MY LIMP BIZKIT COVERS ARE GOING TO SOUND SOO MUCHJ BETTER!! I CAN"T WAIT TO ACTUALLY PLAY IT!!!!1"

it's cool if you like it... but i personally don't dig the 707 in the bridge....


You might think its sad but its true, i wouldnt get my tone if it wasnt for that pickup, & yes their are some people on HC saying retarded stuff but a majority of people give honest reviews. In the the future it would be cool if people explained why they dont like certain things instead of just saying it sucks to give the person looking for info more insite. Somebody might like what you dont.

Last edited by Cyberwaste : 2005-12-14 at 13:42.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2005-12-14, 15:54
TheLeviathan's Avatar
TheLeviathan TheLeviathan is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: England
Posts: 131
Send a message via MSN to TheLeviathan
Actually BLS has told the tale of his 707 on multiple occasions on this board.
I guess he couldn't be bothered writing it out again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2005-12-14, 16:22
Silent Night 6 6's Avatar
Silent Night 6 6 Silent Night 6 6 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
You might think its sad but its true, i wouldnt get my tone if it wasnt for that pickup, & yes their are some people on HC saying retarded stuff but a majority of people give honest reviews. In the the future it would be cool if people explained why they dont like certain things instead of just saying it sucks to give the person looking for info more insite. Somebody might like what you dont.

That's still sad if you say that 99% of your tone cums from the pu. What, you're fingers, the guitar, and your amp all have nothing to contribute to your tone?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2005-12-14, 16:26
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
The 707 is horrible for low tunings.. which a 7 string is tuned in b.. so makes ALOT of fucking sense.

In the bridge its a big no no. The 81-7 would be a much better choice, it might be suitable for the neck, but I currently have one in the bridge of my Ibanez RG7620 and I hate every second of it.
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2005-12-14, 16:27
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
a 81-7 in the brigde + a 707 in the neck... basically a 81-85 setup, but for a 7 string.

any reason you have to have an active pickup? have you checked out dimarzios? they make some sick stuff for 7 strings. duncan has great 7 string pickups too.

I prefer the cold sound of active pickups, and the sterility and tightness. It also helps that I prefer light alder guitars which don't sound very good with passives.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2005-12-14, 17:32
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
What, you're fingers, the guitar, and your amp all have nothing to contribute to your tone?


I guess that's the other 1%
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2005-12-14, 17:51
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Hmm... It's either stick with my Ibanez which I love, and get some thicker strings, which I have no problem with. But I need to put EMGs in it anyway, or get that Steven Carpenter Signature, which probably isnt worth the money.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2005-12-14, 18:25
Cyberwaste's Avatar
Cyberwaste Cyberwaste is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cyberdyne, USA
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
The 707 is horrible for low tunings.. which a 7 string is tuned in b.. so makes ALOT of fucking sense.

In the bridge its a big no no. The 81-7 would be a much better choice, it might be suitable for the neck, but I currently have one in the bridge of my Ibanez RG7620 and I hate every second of it.


The 707 is horrible for low tunings! Isnt that what its designed for? But im not gonna argue because its pointless. And 99% was just something to my get my point across, meaning that without it my tone wouldnt be what it is. Look at the artists that use it, mostly all of them tune to A & sometimes G. Its made not to sound bright as the 81-7, you should have read that before you bought it. I hate these childish arguements in threads & thats why i go by nothing anybody says in these forums. Inner-Decay just do research & find out for yourself dude because you gonna get nothing but one sided answers on here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2005-12-14, 18:43
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
The 707 is horrible for low tunings! Isnt that what its designed for? But im not gonna argue because its pointless. And 99% was just something to my get my point across, meaning that without it my tone wouldnt be what it is. Look at the artists that use it, mostly all of them tune to A & sometimes G. Its made not to sound bright as the 81-7, you should have read that before you bought it. I hate these childish arguements in threads & thats why i go by nothing anybody says in these forums. Inner-Decay just do research & find out for yourself dude because you gonna get nothing but one sided answers on here.


Dude, are you pissed because we don't like your emg ?


and innards decay : The steven carpenter signature guitar is a nice axe. I don't know what they cost. But i played one the other day. it was great. And the pickups lay closer together ( sorry for my crappy english ) and that gives a nice sound
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Last edited by Six_Feet_Under_420 : 2005-12-14 at 18:46.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2005-12-14, 21:13
Innards-Decay's Avatar
Innards-Decay Innards-Decay is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,665
Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
The seven string "Baritone" scale one is about 900 on musicians friend I believe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Faceshitting...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2005-12-14, 21:31
philkilla's Avatar
philkilla philkilla is offline
Crusher of Skulls
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere down the road
Posts: 2,188
Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
The 81-7 is a pretty decent pickup I believe. I've never been to fond of passive 7 string pickups...but I haven't really played a whole lot. The 81-7 sure as hell beats the crap out of the 707.....I hate that fucking pickup. Muddy shit it is.....

Also, the stephen carpenter baritone should be a nice axe. I've never played one (yah...I know) but I have a six string stephen carpenter guitar...and it is fucking great.

On another note, has anyone ever played around with the 7 string JB or Invader?.....I know its no different from tuning down a 6 string to B....but I've never even seen one of those in action.
__________________


My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us


Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2005-12-14, 22:11
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
The 707 is horrible for low tunings! Isnt that what its designed for? But im not gonna argue because its pointless. And 99% was just something to my get my point across, meaning that without it my tone wouldnt be what it is. Look at the artists that use it, mostly all of them tune to A & sometimes G. Its made not to sound bright as the 81-7, you should have read that before you bought it. I hate these childish arguements in threads & thats why i go by nothing anybody says in these forums. Inner-Decay just do research & find out for yourself dude because you gonna get nothing but one sided answers on here.


I dont care what they say its designed for, there is way to much low end which muddies up the B string pretty easily. My ears can tell me what sounds good better than a simple statement made by the company that manufactures said product.

And It came with the guitar I bought, its simply a backup guitar.. my main axe has Dimarzio's in it which I personally prefer.

and this is hardly an argument buddy, nothing more than a simple exchange of opinions. I dont have time to argue with people online.. not anymore.

Good day
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.