MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2005-11-26, 18:19
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Acoustic Basses

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread on this topic.

Let us discuss Acoustic Basses!

What do you think of them, like or no?
Also what do you think of them in metal?
I can't think of any examples, I know Harris uses one sometimes, and I saw Billy Sheenan playing one in some shitty Mr. Big video, but I'm not really aware of whether they are used alot in metal...

I'm also thinking of buying one, on account that you can take it anywhere and play anywhere without worrying about amplification and electricity ...
I plan on playing on main street and seeing if anyone thinks I'm good enough to deserve their spare change

I've tried a few in music stores, they actually sound pretty awesome IMO. I once had the opportunity to play a fretless acoustic!! Now that was awesome, but I was in a hurry so I didn't really get to try it out properly ...

Does anyone know who makes good acoustics? I'm looking to buy a pretty cheap one (maybe 400 US dollars).

I'm also worried about getting an acoustic because usually the bridge and saddle cannot be adjusted so you have to be satisfied with whatever string height (and intonation for that matter) you have.
I might be wrong on this though ... I don't know much about acoustics.

Edit: I was writting acoustic with two 'c's (accoustic) and that pissed me off once I realized it was wrong.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Last edited by Rattlehead : 2005-11-26 at 18:36.

Old 2005-11-26, 18:22
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Its funny you started this topic i was thinking yesterday about an acoustic bass and how it would be pretty cool to have one, for the reasons you stated and more, only thing is there not very common in music shops, so hopefully ebay or gak.co.uk should have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-11-26, 18:34
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered
Its funny you started this topic i was thinking yesterday about an acoustic bass and how it would be pretty cool to have one, for the reasons you stated and more, only thing is there not very common in music shops, so hopefully ebay or gak.co.uk should have them.

They are common in music shops!
Usually guitar stores have seperate rooms or sections for accoustics and they have a few acoustic (damn, is that spelled with one 'c'?) basses amongst the acoustic guitars. Usually bass players don't bother wander into those sections so they don't know whether stores carry acoustic basses.

I'm also worried that an acoustic bass might not be as loud as an acoustic guitar and that would suck.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2005-11-26, 18:42
Tulvox
Post-whore

I've played a couple and wouldn't mind owning one. Rattlehead is right, my local shop has two or three in the acoustic (one "c" ) section. It would be great just to have a bass you could take anywhere and wouldn't need electricity. I'm all for the playing on the street corner for change, maybe then I could get some Starbucks. My only compliant is that there isn't any place to rest your thumb while playing one.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-11-27, 02:47
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

hate em. but thats just my opinion

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2005-11-27, 11:26
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
They are common in music shops!

Ahh, not over here.

Check out the Warwick 'Alien acoustic' bass, complete with thumb rest, perfect!!

http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/im...VSMWW.small.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-11-28, 17:06
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

acoustic in the electric model or real actual stand up acoustics???;

cause if you mean the 2nd then acoustics are really fun to play ,but in metal come on ,

well maybe black metal

Old 2005-11-28, 20:43
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

i like acoustic basses but not generally for metal, i am sure it can be done well, but i am in love with uprights, they are so sweet but a little harder to play with the 42' scale