MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2005-11-07, 02:57
Jacob
Senior Metalhead

Singing/Screaming/Growling 101

Ok so iv noticed allot of people talking about how there throats hurt and what not when they sing, also about using foods and drinks to "make" then sing. So im going to try and make a guide to follow so that no one else gets hurt or tells people to do things that will do 0% to improve the healing process.

Step 1: BREATHING

Ok so many people think that you have to take huge gasp of air just to find small parts, that’s wrong. Also when you sing, it shouldn't be louder than a loud talk. IF you in a band and u have to raise your voice to get over the guitar/drums, just stop until u have an amp that gets loud enough without u having to scream ur nutz off.

First thing to know is that you sing out of your diaphragm and use your ribs for reserves. Take a deep breath and make sure that you’re SHOLDERS DO NOT MOVE. What you’re looking for is your rib cage expanding. Place ur hands on your ribcage to feel it. Then push air out of your mouth using your diaphragm. To do so you need to push the diaphragm down. It will feel like your taking a shit (ha-ha). Hold that for as long as you can. Make sure to NOT use any from your rib cage. When your diaphragm is out then u can use your rib cage as your reserve. Doing so allows you’re to sing long parts without having to worry about air intake. I can hold notes for 30+ secs and screams/growls for 15+.

Hold to tell if you’re doing it right.

Lay on your back with your right hand on your stomach and your left, ball your hand into a fist and place it on your rib cage (on the left). Now take a breath in for 8 counts (DONT MOVE YOUR SHOLDERS). Then slowly breathe out and only use your diaphragm for 4 counts then your ribcage for 4. Repeat 3 times. This will help build your stamina and your ability to do so.

A way to see how your diaphragm works is this. Make a bark noise. You will see that your abs clench up when you do it. That’s using your diaphragm.

Step 2: PITCH

Ok so most people just try to imitate there fav singers, well this is wrong. DONT imitate people when you’re starting, it’s only cutting your talent in half. Singing is from the inside.

How to find your pitch. Close your lips and make a hum (would sound like mmmmmm). Start as low as your can (DONT TRY TO GROWL OR USE YOUR THROAT) and then raise it until it is at its max. You will tell when it’s totally comfortable to make this pitch and you get a kind of ringing sound in your head. No open your mouth and keep that pitch, do it until you can't anymore. Remember this is YOUR PITCH, not someone else’s so don't try to imitate what you want to sound like. Now hit that pitch again and open ur mouth, and now say MMMMEEEEE NNNNEEEE. Do it slow and try to keep the sound constant. Do that again only when you get to the 3-4 NNNEEE lower your pitch a little. You will tell when you get it because it feels like a click in your head. Once you do that you have your pitch. Congrats. Now try to hold that pitch along as you can, and keep it constant.

Step 3: Heat/Fire

Heat is added a "Crunch" to you voice. You can do so by using your nose. This is also for screams. An easy way to get this is by making a Marge Simpson voice. You notice how it’s all in the nose. That’s how it should be when you scream, all in the nose area, not the throat.

Fire is a growl. You do so by pushing air out of your diaphragm and raising your Addams apple. This creates a vibration in that gives your the growl sound. A good way to build your growl is to do jumping jacks while saying your ABC's in a growl. Make each one strong and in your center pitch.

Step 5: Heat

If it hurts SHUT UP!!! It’s the best thing you can do for your voice. Whispering is almost as bad as continuing to scream/growl wrong. No food/drinks will help heal your voice. Just shut up if it hurts. Also don't do growls for my than 5-10 mins at a time when you first start because you’re probably going to do it wrong first time around.

Well that should give you some ideas and explanation on how to scream/growl properly.

Old 2006-03-02, 14:19
Eternal Darkness
New Blood

great post dude very insiteful! have you any tips or exersizes for incorperateing falcetto for higher notes??

Old 2006-03-02, 19:47
Berserkr
New Blood

very good espacially the tips for finding my pitch i will use them and find it really really thanks

Old 2006-03-05, 23:19
Napalm Funeral
New Blood

I could swear I've read this elsewhere... gotta try out that adams apple thing. Sounds fun.

Old 2006-03-16, 15:11
shred_head45
Metalhead

hey, nice post. I have a question though, because this post seems to be for people just doing vocals. Im just starting to do vocals for my band, but I play guitar aswell. I also want to sound along the lines of Alexi Laiho, what kind of growl/scream does he use? and do you have any tips on how I could do that? thanks

Old 2006-03-17, 19:19
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Hey all. Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I figured it might fit in this one. Does anyone else get a bit of a stomach cramp after singing with death vocals? The really low, growling style. I know it does some things to the throat for some people, but can it effect the stomach somehow?

Old 2006-03-26, 15:31
LuciferianSoul
Metalhead

Very insightful, and helpful tips. Should be stickied.

Old 2006-03-30, 05:53
darkexodite
New Blood

this is by far the best post I've seen here... I've been trying to tell people this before when I used to come here all the time, but you summed it up better than most could. everything you say is true, I learned from mistakes... then I found a singer who knew his stuff, and it does make a huge difference, ever since then I was actualy able to save my voice.

Old 2006-03-30, 06:34
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Oh fuck there is already one of these stickied it answers like every question someone should incorporate this into it as a summary.

Old 2006-04-02, 13:32
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob
Heat is added a "Crunch" to you voice. You can do so by using your nose. This is also for screams. An easy way to get this is by making a Marge Simpson voice. You notice how it’s all in the nose. That’s how it should be when you scream, all in the nose area, not the throat.

what do you mean by that? can you explain this? i havent heard marge simpson voice never ever so im not sure whats going on with that. btw, can anyone explain how to scream? cause i cant find it anywhere

Old 2008-04-07, 14:04
sedalia30
New Blood

cheap !!!

took all dis from the Zen of Screaming.
good advice but its not yours.
buy the zen of screaming dvd!

Old 2008-04-08, 09:43
Depression
New Blood

no matter where this came from, i don't give a fuck. good tips, thanks for this.

I used to growl in a semi-screaming style, I could really feel the vibration in my throat. half growl, half scream. high pitched but very low on the other hand. i hurted really much afterwards, but i kept on until it didn't hurt anymore. nowadays i might even speak with that voice, it not louder than talk!

I can't actually describe the way I did it, but it included something i call "supressed scream." not relaxed throat or anything, just inhumane vocals.