MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-11-11, 14:00
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
When I saw Hate Eternal live, they were pretty bad.
Comforting silence
Old 2005-11-11, 17:20
Crusher of Skulls

Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
Paul from Cannibal Corpse is pretty bad I think.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Old 2005-11-11, 18:13
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot spicy
I'm a guitarist so i better go to where i belong hahaha

Anybody can post in this thread. You don't need to be a drummer to think a drummer is overrated.

I think Paul is a good drummer. Doesn't do too much exciting stuff but his playing fits the music perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2005-11-11, 20:07
Senior Metalhead

George Kollias. Sure he's fantastic behind the kit, but often I've seen people treat him like he's the best thing that happened to Nile, whereas Laureno and Hammoura (sp?) were better.
overated doesn't have to mean bad
Old 2005-11-11, 20:30
Post-whore

People worship kollias cause he is so young!!!! and to step up and fill the shoes of drumming for nile for one so young is absolutley nuts!!! add to that George does some pretty sick drumming in AOTW!!
Old 2005-11-12, 00:22
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to crispykid
as nasty as vinnie paul is he is way to overrated. not hating on him at all jsut saying that he is way to overrated.
Old 2005-11-12, 01:07
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
About lars ulrich.
Definately overrated as a drummer.
But together with james they were the best songwriting team in the 80's.

yeah, I think they are both better songwriters than players. IMO Metallica lost their most talented players early -burton and mustaine. Maybe thats why each album got progressivley worse.

Welcome to MetalTabs my friend!

"Brother will kill brother, spreading blood across the land. Killing for religion, something I don't understand." - 'staine.
Old 2005-11-12, 01:11
Post-whore

i was never really a big pantera fan

alot of people giving the mastadon drummer props for doing way to many drumfills, i wasnt really impressed tho and thought their newest album sucks
Old 2005-11-12, 04:46
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to humancorpse Send a message via MSN to humancorpse
Quote:
But i can't believe that someone thinks that Derek Roddy is overrated????

Agreed. I`ve seen two bootlegs of hate eternal live, and dereks drumming is flawless all the time.
Old 2005-11-12, 10:21
Senior Metalhead

After seeing the videos on George Kollias' webiste, I'm convinced. He's the best fucking drummer ever. The video of CDtH is insane!
Old 2005-11-14, 06:24
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
George Kollias. Sure he's fantastic behind the kit, but often I've seen people treat him like he's the best thing that happened to Nile, whereas Laureno and Hammoura (sp?) were better.
overated doesn't have to mean bad

I prefer Laureano to Kollias, but George is still a beast behind the skins.

Deadhead Roses - Zastruga
Old 2005-11-14, 07:02
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark usurper
After seeing the videos on George Kollias' webiste, I'm convinced. He's the best fucking drummer ever.

I agree completely.
Old 2005-11-14, 07:26
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
i was never really a big pantera fan

alot of people giving the mastadon drummer props for doing way to many drumfills, i wasnt really impressed tho and thought their newest album sucks

Hey,

I think that the Mastodon drummer was in Today is the Day?

On the album Sadness Will Prevail. Wow, if that is so, he is quite awesome, I'd rave about him too in that case, flawless and awesome, EXTREMELY unique, wow! Listent and go buy that album.

But in anyway case, if its' not that same one, well, buy that album, drums still rule either way.
Old 2005-11-14, 18:49
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I dont think Mike portnoy or Joey jordison are overrated, Mike portnoy is actually amazing at what he does, the time sigs, insane fills, and joey is very good to, just because he is in slipknot, people try to shut that out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.
Old 2005-11-14, 19:14
Post-whore

mike portnoy is good but he overuses IMO splits (y'all know the RhLhRfLf kinda fill) but yeah he is good!
Old 2005-11-15, 11:53
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Filth
Lars Ulrich he's a noob anyway.
Old 2005-11-15, 16:36
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Cattlefan#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered
I dont think Mike portnoy or Joey jordison are overrated, Mike portnoy is actually amazing at what he does, the time sigs, insane fills, and joey is very good to, just because he is in slipknot, people try to shut that out..

I don't think just because he is in slipknot he is "shut out." I think half the people in here are in the right mind to notice talent regardless of the music. In my opinion, he IS overrated though, like someone else said, him being in the top 10 or whatever for best metal drummer, that's bullshit, apparently none of the voters peaked under the blankets to see what other GREAT drummers were hiding. I don't think Flo or Derek have the assistance of 2 other drum players to add to their sound ike joey does. I saw Flo in october and i must say, his playing was a tad sloppy at times, but he IS an amazing drummer! overrated Flo is not, it's just he is talked about so much that I think people get the impression he is overrated. He's amazing.

Oh yeah and By the way, Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory is kick ass

one more thing, if you wanna hear a pretty sweet drummer, check out Domination Through Impurity or Lust of Decay. Jordan Varela is amazing (a little off topic )

A live one trapped underneath.

Last edited by Cattlefan#1 : 2005-11-15 at 16:40.
Old 2005-11-15, 23:20
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

John Bonham basically opened up the door for metal drumming. Regardless of whether or not he should be considered overrated, he changed the way drummers played. For the better, if we're agreed that we like metal drumming. If we're not, let's move that to another thread, shall we? But yeah, he's probably overrated.

Joey's too high profile not to be overrated. Same with Portnoy. When I saw the Gigantour, everybody who was in the 'pit' was only there to cream their pants over stolen glimpses of Portnoy's kit. Remember that 'overrated' is not equal to bad; it just means given more than their due. Joey Jordison is very good, but he's not world class and treated as though he is. Thus, overrated.

Some others:
Nick Barker
Richard Christy
Flo Mournier
Derek Roddy (actually he probably isn't, but he limits himself severely when it comes to extreme metal)

That's about all I have. I'd probably have a longer list of underrated. Remember, I'm not saying any of these players are bad, just that their talents are not commensurate with their reputations.
Old 2005-11-16, 01:41
Post-whore

Nick Barker overated?

dude come ON! I love his drumming and so does every other metal drummer I know loves his style, he is not overated! he has good groove and feel!

Flo isn't overated the man is a beast, whether or not you think he is sloppy (try playing his drum parts and see what the meaning of sloppy is, in fact I am quite a fan of his style because it itsn't mechanical and precise, it is human and full of feeling etc.)

Derek plays what he needs to play for the band, which in Hate Eternal is his style of constant blast etc, and even that is always tight as fuck.

Richard Christy, come on the dude played for death, which means playing Gene Hoglans parts! I quite like his drumming too!

I understand that you do not think they are bad, but I think all of these guys worked their asses off to earn their reps and I think they fully deserve them!
Old 2005-11-16, 08:41
Senior Metalhead

Regarding Joey: I don't know anyone who thinks he's somehow a god or a super-human drummer. It's plainly obvious he's not in the league of the absolute elite that we could all list. Thing with him is that his style of drumming is within reach of a normal person in the bedroom or basement. I don't like Slipknot either, but I think as an "everyman" drummer Joey is among the best.. along with Lombardo, Kevin Talley etc. They're not doing anything that's beyond the reach of any of us, but the groove and style they play with makes them stand out.

As far as people like Flo, Barker, George etc etc go, I don't like them much because I don't like the music. If anything, I think the music is overrated, but you can't possibly overrate the hours and hours of practice, the dedication, the innovation etc that they put in.

Just a note about Derek Roddy - I've only recently started lurking about in his forum and I've been MASSIVELY impressed by the points he's been making lately about technique not being the be-all and end-all of playing. It's the most common sense I think I've ever heard (read) about the faster and more extreme aspects of drums. I think I'd go as far as to say anyone who hasn't read it probably underrates him.