Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-11-08, 04:33
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
Hellhammer is a fucking monster dude!!! have you heard him play Jazz? he fucking kicks major ass, he does stuff like push pull blasting (VERY hard to do) and other crazy shit, I have seen perfomances of him where he is tight as fuck and pulls out the tech shit like no one!!!

Now that would be interesting,I had no idea he played any type of jazz.
Old 2005-11-08, 04:49
Senior Metalhead

Ulrich is over rated.
joey is under rated.
portnoy deserves his high rating. not for his dream theater stuff, for his drum workshop stuff.
and buddy rich can pound a few

Welcome to MetalTabs my friend!

"Brother will kill brother, spreading blood across the land. Killing for religion, something I don't understand." - 'staine.
Old 2005-11-08, 05:29
Post-whore

Jazz is the reason HellHammer is so fucking mantis, He used to get home and practice solid Jazz for 3 Hours a day!!!! that is why he is so awesome today!
Old 2005-11-08, 16:34
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
Dave Lombardo is Underrated....When i'm talking with people about drums no one ever mentions him...And than I mention him and they go, whos that?...I think he is an amazing drummer with a very unique style....Deserves more credit than what he gets

He's not underrated at all. Ask any metal drummer who their biggest influence is in drumming, theres a 75% chance its Lombardo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2005-11-08, 18:29
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
He's not underrated at all. Ask any metal drummer who their biggest influence is in drumming, theres a 75% chance its Lombardo.

Ya but I mean try asking someone who doesn't listen to metal about Dave Lombardo and I bet they won't have a clue opposed to if you ask them about someone like Lars Ulrich (who by the way is OVERRATED) they would most likely know who he is...Thats all I mean
Old 2005-11-09, 18:03
Post-whore

metal musicians are usually denounced/condescended by the industry,magazines, by music school students,teachers and so on, especially hippy, blues band "weekend warrior" types. from a drummers point of view, things like thrash, blastbeats and the sheer bpm of most death/black metal/grind etc songs makes the blues foggee crowd, jazz geek authorities insecure. its a fundimentally different emphisis of percussion, one thats not easy. a complexity not seen since the jazz era. the bar has been raised over thier heads and alot of these naysayer people,magazines, music school authorities know it. i know im generalizing but thats what i gather from reading music mags, talking to musicians, reading on the net, drum forums etc. you have a small crowd of older drummers,musicians who embrace this relatively new way of playing overwhelmed by a resentful,insecure crowd of people who worship Bonham, Moon, buddy rich, art blakey,neal peart,max roach etc and easily dismiss anything related to metal, they dont even wanna give it a listen. ironically most metal drummers are the most open about appreciating the other styles and are only met with contempt by dudes who play weak ass back beats and consider that "dynamics"
Old 2005-11-10, 04:21
Senior Metalhead

Joey Jordison is so fucking overrated.
I dont actually care when its just a bunch of kids going "j0eY r0o0xXx" but when you read drum magazine and find hes got the "best drummer in metal" award, thats when I get quite angry
BLEEDING IN ECSTASY
Old 2005-11-10, 04:33
Post-whore

Joey is actually a REALLY good drummer, I rate him up there, he isn't quite a Derek Roddy or a Flo, but he is up there, just because he doesn't blast constantly doesn't make him any less good, his playing suits his style (slipknot) but outside that he is really good.
Old 2005-11-10, 04:54
Senior Metalhead

i agree, when he filled in for ulrich at download festival '04 I felt it would be better for all if he was a perm replacement. On that note, he'd probably do better voc's as well. and his face is prob less synthetic, mask and all,than hetfields.

Welcome to MetalTabs my friend!

"Brother will kill brother, spreading blood across the land. Killing for religion, something I don't understand." - 'staine.
Old 2005-11-10, 06:41
Post-whore

Paul Mazurkiewicz is fucking dull, I don't know if anyone rates him as good though.
Old 2005-11-10, 07:55
Life is pain.
Banned

Worst drummer, hey? Hmmmmmm what about, Cryptopsy guy, [dunno the name] and, lets see, and, fuck why I cant think of any? Maybe the FF guy.

And an awesome drummer is AiwarikiaR,
Old 2005-11-10, 10:15
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Low-Tech, your post should be made into a poster, and then put in the drum room of every Guitar Center ever.
Old 2005-11-10, 11:33
Metalhead

Hmmm i'm surprised about calling Flo as an overrated drummer...
Sure on some parts he sounds sloppy (mainly the very fast ones)
But the main thing is he sounds very ... human and he grooves like a bastard.
Listen to all the new death/black and whatever metal records out there.
Most of them has a drumsound triggered like hell (new cryptopsy too unfortunately) and sounds tight like hell.
But don't forget the way of a production.
Most bands uses pro tools to correct every sloppy notes and wrong lines.
Fear factory without pro tools would sound like shit (nothing against them...)
So you can only make your opinion by seeing a live performance.
I saw cryptopsy live (some years ago) but there're definately great musicians no doubt.

About paul from CC.
Ok he don't have many ideas and always playing the same but
first: he's tight like hell live and together with his drum-style the CC sound we know was born (you know what i mean...)

About lars ulrich.
Definately overrated as a drummer.
But together with james they were the best songwriting team in the 80's.

So you see there're other important things to think about IMO
Old 2005-11-10, 14:35
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
metal musicians are usually denounced/condescended by the industry,magazines, by music school students,teachers and so on, especially hippy, blues band "weekend warrior" types. from a drummers point of view, things like thrash, blastbeats and the sheer bpm of most death/black metal/grind etc songs makes the blues foggee crowd, jazz geek authorities insecure. its a fundimentally different emphisis of percussion, one thats not easy. a complexity not seen since the jazz era. the bar has been raised over thier heads and alot of these naysayer people,magazines, music school authorities know it. i know im generalizing but thats what i gather from reading music mags, talking to musicians, reading on the net, drum forums etc. you have a small crowd of older drummers,musicians who embrace this relatively new way of playing overwhelmed by a resentful,insecure crowd of people who worship Bonham, Moon, buddy rich, art blakey,neal peart,max roach etc and easily dismiss anything related to metal, they dont even wanna give it a listen. ironically most metal drummers are the most open about appreciating the other styles and are only met with contempt by dudes who play weak ass back beats and consider that "dynamics"

This is right on the money and I'd extend it to musicians in general who play extreme metal. The whole "That's just noiz00rz!" attitude grates me at times as people, while holding their right to not like the music, still fail to acknowledge the skill involved. OK hotshot, put your "Oasis for beginners" tab book down and you play it.

Robert: I've seen Fear Factory live and Raymond pulls everything off perfectly. His kick drumming is very accurate.

Deadhead Roses - Zastruga
Old 2005-11-10, 18:07
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Low-Tech, your post should be made into a poster, and then put in the drum room of every Guitar Center ever.

the old proving grounds..........i love trolling the drum department and gravity blast on the electron kits, i love the show-off enviroment, sometimes the oldtimers come in and rip and its cool to watch. since i dont have the rudiment power of alot of the jazz style players i enjoy watching them.

anyways, the guy who plays for system of a down, the whole band really. i heard a hit song not long ago that had the weakest blast part i ever heard, weaker than that darkthrone guy.

a guy i dont like is mitch harris,former drummer of napalm death. awesome drummer, the man acted like he invented the wheel,egomaniac. i dont understand half of what the fuck the dude says, he speaks that brand of cockney english thats all cock and no english. hes as bad as the trailer park gypsy guy in the movie snatch. says something about being "chauf" and tells the interviewer he is the faster drummer,most skilled on earth. i have a napalm live demo split with carcass, its the most lo-fi shit i ever heard in my life, not worth the 8 bucks i paid. would almost be bearable to listen too if fucking he didnt talk soooo much shit inbetween songs, dude ruins the whole set

Last edited by low-tech : 2005-11-10 at 18:31.
Old 2005-11-10, 18:24
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Derek Roddy is overrated.
Comforting silence
Old 2005-11-10, 19:40
HES BAAACK

THEMS FIGHTIN WORDS!
Old 2005-11-10, 19:59
Post-whore

Derek is AWESOME!!!

and a really nice guy!
Old 2005-11-11, 01:24
Post-whore

Roddy is definately not overrated. His instructional videos and live performance are wayyyy better than on the last 2 HE albums.

Joey is overrated and so is Steve Asheim(Deicide). Vader's new drummer is slightly overrated but he's gotten a lot better(I saw them live this Monday and he definately showed a lot of improvement from a few months ago). Pete Sandoval really keeps it together, he's by far a really kick ass drummer. I mean... fuck, go listen to Terrorizer, just before he went on with Morbid Angel and keep in mind he only used a single bassdrum.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2005-11-11, 09:45
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Robert: I've seen Fear Factory live and Raymond pulls everything off perfectly. His kick drumming is very accurate.

I know. But i was talking about the whole production like on "demanufacture" for example. You'll never get such a sound without pro-tools in my opinion.
This was not meant for the drums only. Everything sounds like a machine.
It's hard to explain. Raymond is sure some bastard of a drummer without a doubt.

But i can't believe that someone thinks that Derek Roddy is overrated????
Ahhhhhh what i'm doing here?
I'm a guitarist so i better go to where i belong hahaha

Last edited by hot spicy : 2005-11-11 at 09:47.