MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-10-20, 21:22
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Yet another(but different) floyd rose thread

I have heard lots of people say you have to get a floyd rose trem "set up" for different tunings. I really want to get one, so I was wondering if you get a guitar,brand new, with a floyd. Does it have to be "set up" out of the box or does it come set for standard.

Old 2005-10-20, 21:34
k13m
Post-whore

setting up a floyd, maters on lots of things, say i tune to E with 09 strings, u will use a sertain setting, but E with 010, u will need to adjust the setting, cuz the whole thing has to balanced.

its verry easy once u know how to adjust it. atleast, ive never had troubles setting up a floyd, and i use to change tunings a lot, so i had to setup again bout every few days for a different tuning. but once i knew how it worked, it tok em maybe 5 mins or so.

hope this will be of any help

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-10-20, 22:35
Soeru
Post-whore

What is involved in this set-up for different tunings and guages? I might be buying trem bridge guitar(Ibanez RG 270) and I'll probably want to put in some .11's or .10's for use with D, Eb, and standard(probably not). It has two springs in the back compartment. Would I need more springs? The more springs, the less chances of losing your tuning right? If I end up hating the trem I'll just block it with a block of wood or something.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-10-21, 00:02
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
What is involved in this set-up for different tunings and guages? I might be buying trem bridge guitar(Ibanez RG 270) and I'll probably want to put in some .11's or .10's for use with D, Eb, and standard(probably not). It has two springs in the back compartment. Would I need more springs? The more springs, the less chances of losing your tuning right? If I end up hating the trem I'll just block it with a block of wood or something.

With those guages, you'd want at least 3 springs in the back.

Old 2005-10-21, 02:57
Joe Rogers
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru

Setting up the trem is pretty easy.
Basicly(now this is how i set the trem up, i dont have a floyd)
You want to tighten the screws that hold the springs in place in the back a little bit(maybe a 1/4 turn) and then retune. Keep doing this until you have the tremelo where you want it(usually flush with the body) Then you need to use a small allen wrench to fit in the saddle screws of the tremelo and tighten or loosen those till you get your action right on. Every adjustment that you make, however, will throw the guitar out of tune, so you ahve to keep retuning all the time.

Old 2005-10-29, 13:32
Walls
New Blood

When it comes to a guitar with a locking trem, i say you can't go far wrong with the Ibanez S-series, especially if you're lookin to play around with tunings, the ZR tremelo is very stable and you can tune to drop d etc. without having to adjust the spring tension, and when you do need to adjust the tension, theres a thumbwheel round the back so you don't even need a screwdriver!

Fuck, i sound like an Ibanez salesman