MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 2005-11-22, 18:04
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
This may sound crazy, but super glue. A friend of mine, awesome fuckin guitar player, literally has no fingertips on all his fingers. You look at em, and you can see 5 - 6 different layers of skin that have tried to grow back, but be plays 6 - 7 hours a day, and gigs all the time, so the skin never has time to grow in, so he uses super glue, says it works like a charm, comfortably numb.

Hell, yeah! I never would have thought of that. Sounds like it might hurt like a bitch at first, but I suppose you'd get used to it.

EDIT: Fuckin' right, I'm officially a Metalhead!
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Last edited by ulrichmc : 2005-11-22 at 18:07.
Old 2005-11-23, 00:36
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to witchofendor
pinched harmonics

hey how do you do a pinched harmonic? i have done natural harmonics, but describe to me detailed how to do it, like "while hitting the string, quickly place your thumb. blah blah blah"

something descriptive. any info will help. thanks.
Old 2005-11-23, 03:25
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchofendor
hey how do you do a pinched harmonic? i have done natural harmonics, but describe to me detailed how to do it, like "while hitting the string, quickly place your thumb. blah blah blah"

Just hold your pick where the side of your thumb is even with the pick end of the pick. Fret a note, try something on the A or D string, then strike the string. This should lightly brush your thumb against the string right after striking. Where you pick the string determines the harmonics, different spots get ya different harmonics, not sure what your pickup config is, but your sure to get a good squal right around the middle-center of the middle pickup, or wherever the middle pickup would be if you had one. There's also a sweet spot right in front of the bridge pickup. Hope this helps...

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2005-11-23 at 03:27.
Old 2005-11-23, 04:09
Post-whore

making a pich harmonic while upstroking also gives a good squeel. I love them ^^,
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-11-23, 21:28
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
What do you call harmonics where you tap a harmonic with your fretting hand,and then push down onto the fretboard and bend?
Old 2005-11-23, 22:20
Metal As Fuck!

I think it's still called natural harmonics. Their either natural or artificial.

I got a question:

Where does everyone pick at according to where their pickups are? I mean a comfortable alt picking position. I've been working on my picking and find the middle pickup fucks my most comfortable picking position up.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2005-11-23 at 22:35.
Old 2005-11-24, 15:17
Post-whore

thats why I only have h-h setup. If I get a guitar with a middle pickup. I always take it out. I rather have a cavity there than a annoying pickup
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-11-24, 15:55
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
I think it's still called natural harmonics. Their either natural or artificial.

I got a question:

Where does everyone pick at according to where their pickups are? I mean a comfortable alt picking position. I've been working on my picking and find the middle pickup fucks my most comfortable picking position up.

My rg has that stupid pu in the middle that sounds like crap, i just tighten the screws in it to lower it to the body, but then the screws broke so i taped it diwn with black electrical tape .
Old 2005-11-24, 20:11
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipunx
My rg has that stupid pu in the middle that sounds like crap, i just tighten the screws in it to lower it to the body, but then the screws broke so i taped it diwn with black electrical tape .

See I have a RG too. So it did bother your comfortable picking position. That's a good idea to lower it down. Thanks.

Old 2005-11-24, 20:50
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchofendor

I remeber having problems learning this once. It is actually really hard to explain how to do it correctly. It's just like chewing food. Easy to do, but how the hell would you explain how you do it step by step to someone that has never done it. When you first start chewing food I bet it would have hurt if you had a lot of teeth. Bitting your tongue, scraping the sides of your jaws, choking on unchewed food; these are the things you learned to over come.

Pinch harmonics are much the same way. It is all in the picking hand. It took me 6 weeks, if I remember right before I could actually do it intentionally everytime. Plus, with more time I learned that you must do it at a certain part of the string, depending on the string and the note you are trying to A.H.

My only tips are to hold the pick so that there isn't much of it to hit the string, and to hold it at a steeper angle to the string. That way both the pick and your skin actually "sound" the note (A.H.) at the same time. That isn't all there is to it but it isn't easy to descibe. You will learn, with time and practice, in a short time, just how it is done. Remember when you where a kid and seeing people ride 2 wheel bikes was like magic? Then you finally learned what balance was? Pinch harmonics is really the same way. Anyone can hit a string with a pick, but pinch harmonics is a completely different thing.
Old 2005-11-25, 10:07
Metalhead

I would like to take the opportunity and ask...

What the fuck is up with slanted pickups? Here
I've seen it on some of Van Halen's guitars and never understood it, is it merely cosmetic or does it really "change" anything, say, in the bridge position?
There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the lamp never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone, about the beauty of its Prologue.
Old 2005-11-25, 15:42
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus
I would like to take the opportunity and ask...

What the fuck is up with slanted pickups? Here
I've seen it on some of Van Halen's guitars and never understood it, is it merely cosmetic or does it really "change" anything, say, in the bridge position?

It changes the vibration that the humbucker picks up. Here's a simple way of explaining it, you know how the neck pickup always sounds fatter and more open than a bridge pickup? That's because it's picking up the vibration of the strings at a different point. So, in the picture, the notes played on the 6th string would sound more like a middle pickup than a conventionally placed bridge pickup.
Old 2005-11-26, 01:32
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
So when you run the pedal through the clean channel it gets really loud? Have you checked the volume levels on the amp channels?

You bet I have, and the gain on the guitar too. Of course, it doesn't matter very much since it sounds a lot better when I put some of the amp's dist into it, but I can't help to be a little curious as to what the heck the pedal does to the signal.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2005-11-26, 02:12
Pirate Lawd

I would say the pedal is boosting the volume in the clean channel. That is what most pedals are designed to do. Add lots of over head, but not alway at the best sound quality.
Old 2005-11-26, 22:55
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOfTheDead
It changes the vibration that the humbucker picks up. Here's a simple way of explaining it, you know how the neck pickup always sounds fatter and more open than a bridge pickup? That's because it's picking up the vibration of the strings at a different point. So, in the picture, the notes played on the 6th string would sound more like a middle pickup than a conventionally placed bridge pickup.

Ah, of course. It'll sound "warmer" than plain in the bridge. I was probably drunk like now when i posted the question, so... Thanks for the answer!
There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the lamp never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone, about the beauty of its Prologue.
Old 2005-11-27, 06:05
Post-whore

I'm sorry for my dumbass questions Bit I would really like to tune to Bb but i also like playing dying fetus stuff etc. wich is tuned to C# will that kinda stuff sound muddy in Bb are just "heavier" ?
Old 2005-11-27, 13:24
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
I'm sorry for my dumbass questions Bit I would really like to tune to Bb but i also like playing dying fetus stuff etc. wich is tuned to C# will that kinda stuff sound muddy in Bb are just "heavier" ?

I keep a guitar in B at all times and I've played my share of 'da Fetus on it. It sounds better to me, but then again, I don't like C or C#. In Bb it will sound lower, duh, but "heavier" is up to opinion, as I think Bb has a strange feel and sound to it.
Old 2005-11-28, 03:18
Quantum.

I was wondering about a couple of basic concepts:
What is the difference, technically and pracitcally, between overdrive and distortion?
Exactly what does over-the-top mean in the case of guitars?
I know, I know, newbie questions; but I prefer to ask and seem stupid over not asking and remaining stupid.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2005-11-28, 05:31
Post-whore

overdrive and distortion is exact the same thing. In both cases the guitar signal gets a kick in the ass in the preamp and thus distortion.
Old 2005-11-29, 10:44
Quantum.

Oh, thanks. I tried out a couple of pedals once, you see, one called distortion and the other over-drive. Distortion souned way much better, so I couldn't help wondering.
But exactly what do you mean by "over-the-top"? Just general whacked-out metal-crazy or is some kind of technicallity?

- Carl Sagan