MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 2008-09-29, 13:03
New Blood

If Ibanez tremolos are good, though, I can always get a new Ibanez one if the old one breaks I guess. I'm not going to use it for massive dive bombing and Herman Li-esque sound effects, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the best, as long as it doesn't break too easily, stays in tune and the knives don't have to be sharpened every three months. Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll look into Ibanez guitars then.

It's a shame though, Jackson has some really nice guitars for about $800-1200, but I've heard so much complaint about those particular licenced Floyd Roses that I don't want to buy one.

Also, I mostly play metal and related stuff, so I'd really like a bridge pickup with a high output. Any recommendations for that?

Last edited by Nightwind : 2008-09-29 at 13:13.
Old 2008-09-29, 17:13
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Ibanez trems are pretty solid. If you're not going on a wankfest, I would definitely recommend one of the Edge line ups. I've got 2 Edge trems, one original, and one new Pro II, and they both stay in perfect tune and are quite comfortable to play. For a bridge pickup, I went with the DiMarzio X2N, prob one of the highest rated output passive pickups there are today. Now you can take the active path and get some EMG's, which I have in my other Ibanez, but the passive pickup will have more tonal characteristics from your guitar, amp, etc then an active one would. The active one will sound mostly the same in any guitar, etc... which isn't bad because they're hot as hell.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2008-09-30, 14:38
New Blood

Alright, thanks again.

I'm leaning towards Ibanez RG1570 as it seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for and it also seems to have the least downsides (out of the other guitars I've read about). It doesn't look too bad either, really, though I love the look of Jackson RR and KE guitars.

Now, an unrelated question: some guitars seem to have fretboards made of ebony. Is it actually ebony, or is it simply some other wood with similiar properties?

Last edited by Nightwind : 2008-09-30 at 14:42.
Old 2008-09-30, 17:38
Metal As Fuck!

RG1570 is a great guitar! I own the predecessor to that (RG570) and I love the hell out of it. It's a strat style body, not too exotic like the RR or KE, but still solid as hell.

Ebony fretboards are actually made of ebony. They have a tighter grain and are not as bright as rosewood fretboards although you'd need a really keen ear to hear the difference. They lend more towards cosmetics than tone.

Old 2008-12-11, 22:27
Metalhead

wiring help?

While installing an X2N into an old beater BC Rich and I missed a ground connection somewhere. When I touch the bridge the hum gets louder but when I touch the pickup mounting screw (on either pickup) it's dead quiet.

Any ideas what I may have missed or where to start looking?

I should mention I replaced both pickups and all the pots so the problem isn't isolated.

Last edited by matterthief : 2008-12-11 at 22:31.
Old 2008-12-11, 22:32
New Blood

fuck dude, you may just have to retrace your footsteps til you find the flaw, that would be easier than just taking the whole thing out and rewiring

^my band, you should listen, you won't be disappointed^
Old 2008-12-12, 06:52
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief
While installing an X2N into an old beater BC Rich and I missed a ground connection somewhere. When I touch the bridge the hum gets louder but when I touch the pickup mounting screw (on either pickup) it's dead quiet.

Any ideas what I may have missed or where to start looking?

I should mention I replaced both pickups and all the pots so the problem isn't isolated.

Check the Bridge ground wire. It sounds like you connected it to the hot signal path.
Old 2008-12-12, 10:23
Metalhead

The ground wire from the bridge is going to the back of the three way toggle. Is that correct? That wire and a ground wire from the top of the bridge volume pot (Scheme is 2 Vol 1 tone 3 way toggle) are the ones I lost track of when I flipped the guitar over to insert a pickup. The wire from the top of the bridge volume pot is now grounded to the top of the neck volume pot.

Old 2008-12-18, 16:12
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Check the Bridge ground wire. It sounds like you connected it to the hot signal path.

Yeah that was it. Sounds great now thanks!
Old 2008-12-18, 23:13
Pirate Lawd

Thats what I'm here for
Old 2009-02-04, 15:59
New Blood

Issues with Gotoh Floyd Trem

I there! I need some help about a Gotoh Floyd Like Trem..

I instaled one on my Jackson, some ajustements had to be made (The loking srews were to long and the spring block was hiting the back cover). All set up and working now but something is wrong, I never blew so much strings as I am now with this tremolo. I'm usin D'Adario EXL 140 (10-52), my hold JT trem handeled them with no problem, never broke any one before. The intonation and string action are set up as before..Any ideia? Does any one know or uses this Gotoh trem?

Thanks.
Old 2009-02-05, 01:05
Metal As Fuck!

How are you breaking em? Is it while using the trem? Does the spring tension match the gauge strings you're using? Is the trem flush or even when in tune?

Old 2009-02-05, 15:30
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
How are you breaking em? Is it while using the trem? Does the spring tension match the gauge strings you're using? Is the trem flush or even when in tune?

Its all set up correctly! I play this for some years now and I left the job to a tecnician. I forgot to say that the old trem was blocked couse it was a 2003 JT580 model and got screwed as soon as I set up the string action for the first time.Any way, the string brake at brige, lets say I have abused from the trem (after watching some Dimmebag vids ) but I dont thinks that's normal to blow 2 string in a week playing 1 to 2 hours a day. My big fear is that in some how, the trem may be cuting off the strings on palm muting, I'm talking about 6,5, and 4th strings, it hapened before on a sheap bad setup guitar from I friend with a vintage trem, but never used that trem then, when I recived the Jackson, I never blew a string in less than a month..

This gotoh is new and I bought it to keep the guitar on nice conditions, maybe the angle of the string siting in the sadles is to high and may couse this, I dont know, but if thats the problem, it wont be easy to set up..
Old 2009-02-05, 18:35
Metal As Fuck!

Is the saddle damaged? Most saddles have a hump like groove for the string to slide over, if there's any roughness due to the string wearing away the saddle (extreme trem usage), then rough fragments of saddle will break strings like crazy espeically when the right angle is met pulling the trem arm.

Old 2009-02-06, 16:02
New Blood

Quote:
Is the saddle damaged? Most saddles have a hump like groove for the string to slide over, if there's any roughness due to the string wearing away the saddle (extreme trem usage), then rough fragments of saddle will break strings like crazy espeically when the right angle is met pulling the trem arm.

I see what you mean, but the trem is new, 2 or 3 weeks old and I beliave that Gotoh aint that crapy..I have a new guitar ordered, this one with an original Floyd, i'll use the same strings and give them the same treatment to be sure. Maybe I'll try diferent strings then, I was thinking of the DR Dimme signature, I've seen someware that D'Addario aint that good for trem work..What do you think?

And thanks by the way!
Old 2009-02-06, 18:51
Metal As Fuck!

I think I've used D'Addario strings once, but it was on a hardtail strat. For my locking trem guitars, in past I used Boomers, now I'm using DR's. DR's are tough and I know personally they can withstand some extreme trem usage. Try the same treatment, I'm curious to know whether the problem will continue.

Old 2009-02-07, 06:42
New Blood

Quote:
I think I've used D'Addario strings once, but it was on a hardtail strat. For my locking trem guitars, in past I used Boomers, now I'm using DR's. DR's are tough and I know personally they can withstand some extreme trem usage. Try the same treatment, I'm curious to know whether the problem will continue.

Ok! I'll keep on news for this..Thanks a lot!
Old 2010-05-15, 16:34
Quantum.

Just thought it might be fun to actually dig something up out of the guitar forum.

Lately, temperature has sky rocketed in these parts, bringing to light a real bitch for me - sweaty fingers. I've got a couple of solos that are pretty heavy in bends and so on and the way my fingers tend to just slide around on the fretboard isn't helping at all. I've never had this problem before, for the elegantly simple reason that it isn't until quite recently I've become skilled enough for it to be an issue.
But yea, do any of you guys have any tricks for something like this?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2010-05-16, 04:40
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

A friend of mine used to use chalk or magnesium-powder, that helped him a lot

R.I.P moe
Old 2010-05-16, 05:32
Quantum.

Yea, I was considering something like that. Just a little worried about strings and fretboard.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein