Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-08-30, 20:32
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
anybody please? my one piece bridge cant handle higher than 11 gauge it seems... its very sad.

Your bridge or your nut? Is it an intonation problem with the string gauge and saddle adjustment? I have never seen a ToM bridge not capable of handling at least 13's. It is possible the bridge was installed wrong if thats the case.
Old 2007-08-30, 21:23
Senior Metalhead

so i'm looking at buying a gibson v and i'm told they have a c style srat neck. in what relation to an Ibanez RG series neck is that? are they similar(sp?)?
Old 2007-08-31, 10:39
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
so i'm looking at buying a gibson v and i'm told they have a c style srat neck. in what relation to an Ibanez RG series neck is that? are they similar(sp?)?

They are different, the neck on the V will be shaped kinda like:
C
But the Ibanez necks generally have a much thinner, flatter profile, like:
(

The V will feel chunkier and won't be as fast as an Ibanez. Hope that helped

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven
Old 2007-09-02, 21:28
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
They are different, the neck on the V will be shaped kinda like:
C
But the Ibanez necks generally have a much thinner, flatter profile, like:
(

The V will feel chunkier and won't be as fast as an Ibanez. Hope that helped

yes it does but it's also gay cause i don't really like those kind of necks. i'll have to look into Ltd's
Old 2007-09-12, 13:05
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to ledfinger2000
i have a question. my parents bought me an esteban acoustic guitar now its not a bad guitar at all but they kept in a box until my b-day it sat there for at least a good 3-4 months with the strings on it, i tried to play and i had major fret buzzing i took it into a shop and tried to get it fixed and now i can only play basic chords it has a bent neck. now has the guitar lost all hope? should i purchase another guitar or keep the one i have and if i have to get a new acoustic could you suggest a good acoustic for 200$ or below?

to see the creatures in the dark is to be a creature of the dark
Old 2007-09-13, 16:31
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledfinger2000
i have a question. my parents bought me an esteban acoustic guitar now its not a bad guitar at all but they kept in a box until my b-day it sat there for at least a good 3-4 months with the strings on it, i tried to play and i had major fret buzzing i took it into a shop and tried to get it fixed and now i can only play basic chords it has a bent neck. now has the guitar lost all hope? should i purchase another guitar or keep the one i have and if i have to get a new acoustic could you suggest a good acoustic for 200$ or below?

to see the creatures in the dark is to be a creature of the dark

I would look into getting another guitar. Go with a reputable brand... a lower mid end ibanez, fender, washburn, or even takamine makes affordable models for around $200. Esteban guitars are shit and doesn't surprise me it flopped on ya.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2007-10-05, 16:30
New Blood

Oye, new here, was wondering if there was anyone good with guitar repairs, i have a jackson with floyd rose that busted on me the other day and i want to try and fix it myself before sending it to a repair shop
here's the probem i have

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...enguitar014.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...enguitar015.jpg

i was thinking of screwing two small metal plates oni each side, but was wondering if it would effect my sound, any help is good help
thanks
Old 2008-02-03, 17:35
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_head_t
Oye, new here, was wondering if there was anyone good with guitar repairs, i have a jackson with floyd rose that busted on me the other day and i want to try and fix it myself before sending it to a repair shop
here's the probem i have

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...enguitar014.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...enguitar015.jpg

i was thinking of screwing two small metal plates oni each side, but was wondering if it would effect my sound, any help is good help
thanks

Its kinda a bad design to have the bridge post so close to the edge of the cavity without some sort of reinforcement but the good news is the damage and the flaw can be fixed pretty easy. It will take some woodworking skills and thought.

It looks like the break happened along the grain of the wood. This can be fixed with super glue. The post hole may need to be filled and re drilled before the post is inserted again to get a secure fit. I do this with wood dow rods and super glue. Then I re drill the post hole and insert the post.

Strengthening the wood in front of the post is a different problem and I would need to examine the guitar in person to give you a definite answer but first thing that comes to mine is using multiple thin shims of dense wood bonded super tight across the grain inside the cavity. A combination of bonding and screws might be an even better ideal. If you decide to use a metal plate then be careful of its magnetic properties so close to the bridge pickup.
Old 2008-05-31, 06:19
Okay.

Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Anybody know what effect is used on the lead guitar at the beginning of Sentenced to Burn? It's about 9 or 10 seconds in. It sounds like it might be some kind of decay or chorus mixed with heavy distortion. Can anybody tell exactly what it is?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Old 2008-06-01, 00:32
New Blood

Advice

So, I am a fucking noob at everything in life and need some help: I have this shitty chord progression (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=F6DX05P727N3) of typical 5th chords and I don't know what the hell to play over it. Any pointers for scales/modes/patterns/arpeggios/etc. would be far too generous. And no I am not looking to steal ideas, as this is purely for my own personal "fun".
Old 2008-06-01, 00:42
Okay.

Sounds kinda like black metal.
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Old 2008-06-01, 01:56
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Anybody know what effect is used on the lead guitar at the beginning of Sentenced to Burn? It's about 9 or 10 seconds in. It sounds like it might be some kind of decay or chorus mixed with heavy distortion. Can anybody tell exactly what it is?

Thanks

It just sounds like a lead clip recorded with a boosted volume, lower distortion overdrive, super raised mid freqs, slow smooth playing slides, with a delay reverb combo effects mix. It sounds more complicated then what it really is.

Stop busting on th BM guys
Old 2008-06-01, 03:42
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Stop busting on th BM guys

Haha I'm just fucking around dude I just like laughing at some of the stereotypes. I have nothing against black metal. I like some black metal...

So do these guys.

I think this guy does too.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by blitz906 : 2008-06-01 at 03:44.
Old 2008-06-01, 04:54
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
I like some black metal...

So do these guys.

I think this guy does too.

LMAO!! I just realized the custom title I have.... GOD BLESS BLACK METAL FOREVERWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Old 2008-06-01, 10:37
New Blood

Quote:
Sounds kinda like black metal.

Haha! Fuckin' hilarious. Yeah it's a very cliche progression. With the bass-line that goes with it, it sounds more funk-ish. Luckily, it's somewhat brief in the context of the full song. Any clue wtf I can use over it?
Old 2008-06-01, 16:51
Metal As Fuck!

I'm not sure if you're just looking for techniques to try over or you actually want a worked out pattern. There's obviously millions of things you could play over that. Subtle things, more complex things, harmonic sounds, dissonant sounds. It's really whatever you're looking for. The first 10 seconds or so fits perfectly with harmonic minor so pick out a pattern, legato something, or involve an arpeggio for a cool sound. After about 10 secs I would use the whole-half diminished scale since that was the first thing I tried. Try something within those lines and see what happens.

Old 2008-06-02, 10:55
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
I'm not sure if you're just looking for techniques to try over or you actually want a worked out pattern. There's obviously millions of things you could play over that. Subtle things, more complex things, harmonic sounds, dissonant sounds. It's really whatever you're looking for. The first 10 seconds or so fits perfectly with harmonic minor so pick out a pattern, legato something, or involve an arpeggio for a cool sound. After about 10 secs I would use the whole-half diminished scale since that was the first thing I tried. Try something within those lines and see what happens.

I understand what you're saying. I was basically at a brick wall and nothing I tried seemed to "work". My lead writing skills are lacking to say the least, so I was looking for a good jumping-off point to get my brain going. I'll give your suggestions a try, man. Thanks!
Old 2008-09-28, 06:56
New Blood

I have some questions regarding Floyd Rose tremolos.

Are there any guitars under say $1150 with non-licensed Floyd Rose tremolos? Are Ibanez or ESP licenced tremolos any good? And finally, how much does it cost to change a licenced Floyd Rose tremolo to an original?

Thanks.

Last edited by Nightwind : 2008-09-28 at 07:05.
Old 2008-09-28, 17:44
Metal As Fuck!

I believe Fender uses original Floyd Rose trems on their locking strat model and believe it or not a standard model is only $500 with american models around a grand. Now I can't verify that, but it doesn't specify that they're licensed trems. The Ibanez trems are very good... well the Edge specific trems are. The original Edge tremolos they put on the late 90's early 2000 model RG's are kick ass. The later stuff is still fairly good (Edge Pro, Edge Pro II), but nothing like the original Edge. I can't vouch for ESP licensed trems. Now swapping out for an original can be tricky. I have done this one time and it's all dependent on manufacturer you're converting from. Ibanez specs on mounts and cavity dimensions are significantly different from original specs, so the key here would be to do your homework and find who makes licensed trems closest to the original specs so you don't have to do so much modifying.