MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 2005-10-17, 12:48
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
I bomb mine all the time. Never out of tune. One of my RG's trems was offset badly. Couldn't get that thing to level out no matter how I adjusted the set screws, so I popped a spring out. Flush as a motherfucker now, perfect tune.

Opethfan: saddle? end of the neck where it joins the headstock.

That's the nut, the saddle is where the string meets the bridge, it's the metal piece with the groove for the string.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2005-10-17, 13:43
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
so I popped a spring out. Flush as a motherfucker now, perfect tune.

so how many springs do you have in there... and what gauge strings, i'll do anything to shave some time off restringing
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2005-10-17, 14:44
Metal As Fuck!

I got three in there now.

setup like this \|/ with 10's on it

Old 2005-10-17, 14:51
Quantum.

Quote:
How far away is your 'standard' tuning? If your going from E/Eb to drop C, except it to be like new strings and lose tune untill the slack can dispersed. Standard D to drop C, would just be the top string, and would take a few re-tunings to differentiate the slack.

I usually have the standard e-tuning; though more and more of Drop C lately. Do I understand you correctly that it will right itself with time and stubborness?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2005-10-17, 16:15
Metalhead

For a good bridge/tremolo use a kahler, they stay in tune well and the fine tuners allow a lot of range for tuning.
Old 2005-10-17, 16:45
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to Joe Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Alright, i want to start playing around with my tremelo.

Yes, its a lisenced floyd rose and it goes uber outta tune if i do anything else but vibratos with it.

Is the base of your tremelo set off the body? If so, that might be the problem. Even though you have the advantage of getting a higher or lower pitch with the tremelo, it still almost never sets back into place right. I don't know maybe it's just me but thats my experiance with that. Also, I've heard something about airbags instead of springs. Supposudly there supposed to set the bridge back in place almost exactly every time.
Old 2005-10-17, 18:44
Post-whore

yo guys, my resident housemaster dude just gave me a guitar, and i have no idea what it is or how to track it down or anything.

Its a black fender copy. so we have 3 single coils.

It looks like 2 of the tuners have been replaced... because theres different ones on the b and low E string... and the replaced ones are fairly good too.

The headstock says Vantage... seems to be one piece with the neck. And the fretboard has a wierd layout, its rosewood with center dots on frets 3, 5,7 and 9, and offset dots on 12, 15, 17, 19, 21.

I cannot find a serial number anywhere. The bolton plate is blank. The whammy bar cover is not recessed.

Anybody know anything? I want to get a price on this before i sell it.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2005-10-17, 19:16
Post-whore

So how does this thing work... the whammy bar is pushed towards the body and the bridge is pushed downwards along with the strings? I still don't understand how a trem works...

The Ibanez I may be buying has a locking trem, not an OFR or anything but it looks reliable. I hear Ibanez's trems hold tunings very well. It's going to be my first trem guitar, so I have not much of a clue how to use it, so I'm buying mainly because I need a 2nd and this guitar is cheap(used).
Old 2005-10-17, 22:11
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to Joe Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
The headstock says Vantage... seems to be one piece with the neck. And the fretboard has a wierd layout, its rosewood with center dots on frets 3, 5,7 and 9, and offset dots on 12, 15, 17, 19, 21.

Vantage is an old Japaneese or Chineese company cant remember which one. They are fairly good guitars. When you see a vantage sold, however, its usually under one hundered bucks. i dont know why. If memory serves correctly, the company is now called samick. My friend owns a vantage les paul style guitar. its not bad but it definetly could be a lot better.
Old 2005-10-17, 23:11
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
So how does this thing work... the whammy bar is pushed towards the body and the bridge is pushed downwards along with the strings? I still don't understand how a trem works...

The Ibanez I may be buying has a locking trem, not an OFR or anything but it looks reliable. I hear Ibanez's trems hold tunings very well. It's going to be my first trem guitar, so I have not much of a clue how to use it, so I'm buying mainly because I need a 2nd and this guitar is cheap(used).

A trem works like this..

<--------tension of strings
(tremolo goes here) [equal tension from strings and springs create flushed tremolo]
<--------force of springs

Goal is to get the force of the springs to match the tension of the strings, when in tune.

Old 2005-10-18, 01:39
Toast-whore

Send a message via MSN to OpethFan
Quote:
I got three in there now.

setup like this \|/ with 10's on it

Thats the same as mine... I cant figure out why it does it. The bridge is all even and shit, i get it perfect each time i re-string. eh fucked if i know

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-10-18, 05:43
Senior Metalhead

this is giving me a headache trying to follow the posts.

sounds like that guitar is a beginner guitar, and if its had tuners replaced, youll probably get less for it. i dunno keep it instead.

floyd roses, as do all tremelos, work by tightening or loosening the string. the springs are there to counteract the tension. different ways to put the springs on, ie /|\ or ||| or whatever the fuck, its just different ways of displacing the balance. /|\ will be a more even diffused tension, where as ||| will be prone to local differences.
inside the back of your RG or similar, youll see the springs, with one end attached to the block, and the other end attached to a plate, which is held inplace by two screws. turning these screws by only like 1/4 turn, will make your bridge raise or lower its angle. do 'em little by little and do 'em both the same. once you got the angle right, then you need to get the height right. theres a little allen key hole in the posts, where the trem pivots(the only actual contact with the guitar), turning these will raise or lower the bridge.
while your doing that, make sure you remember two things,
1. every time you make any adjustment, however small, your guitar will go out of tune, therefore, the strings will be the wrong tension. retune everytime you adjust anything.
2. theres a bloke in your local guitar shop who will do it for you for pretty cheap.

to the bloke whose strings go out of tune, make sure your strings are completely worn in before you tighten the nut, and then make sure its perfect in tune and fairly tight on the nut. obviously you should make sure its tight at the other end (saddle).
if it still goes out of tune, then either your trem setup is fucked, or your buying shit strings.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Last edited by Amon rA : 2005-10-18 at 05:45.
Old 2005-10-20, 02:39
Metal As Fuck!

How is a f-spaced pickup different from a normal pickup? I think I once heard it was something to do with the way fender spaced their pickup points according to strings. Can someone briefly explain f-spacing? Also are Ibanez RG guitar pickups f-spaced or normal?

Old 2005-10-31, 15:26
Post-whore

Quote:
How is a f-spaced pickup different from a normal pickup? I think I once heard it was something to do with the way fender spaced their pickup points according to strings. Can someone briefly explain f-spacing? Also are Ibanez RG guitar pickups f-spaced or normal?

i think f spacing just makes it spaced to a floyd rose bridge... as opposed to the spacing as a fixed bridge.... i really dont know.

now for my question

If i replaced a normal neck with a baritone neck, would it make it impossible to intonate? Or would it be possible with the same bridge... i just came to think that maybe baritone bridges might have different placement, because of the different neck size, and that could perhaps fuck over all chances of intonation.
Old 2005-11-01, 13:03
Metal As Fuck!

I don't know for sure, but from it looks as if it's just a longer scaled neck and that's it.

Old 2005-11-02, 01:23
Quantum.

I've got a small question concerning a technique I use; playing very close to the bridge. I've found that it gives a very sharp and concentrated tone that is pretty nice when picking and as an extra effect in solos. I was just wondering, is this called something with music-theory-terminology?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2005-11-02, 02:15
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
good question!
Old 2005-11-02, 15:15
Metal As Fuck!

I don't guess I've ever heard the word. It falls more under dynamics then music theory. Maybe bridge picking?

Old 2005-11-06, 16:47
Supreme Metalhead

Just curious what size of an allen wrench would I need to adjust action if I've got a strat style bridge on my guitar?
Old 2005-11-06, 19:23
Metal As Fuck!

I think it's 1/8" but may vary for different trems.