Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2005-09-26, 02:45
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
Muhammed - *YAWN* Congradulation, you know how to play a minor arpeggio. He does the same shit in EVERY solo. Minor arpeggio, tap, that classical sounding technique where you go:

Code:
|--19-20-17-20-15-20---20---20---20 |---------------------19---17---16

So unoriginal. I loev shred as much as the next guy, but shit, not when every slo is based around the same fourmula.

Correct about that one. Btw, that classical technique is just 'using pedal notes'.
Old 2005-09-26, 08:22
Senior Metalhead

Karl Sanders is one of the best songwriters ever in my opinion, and how the fuck is it possible to say that Chuch and Trey arent creative? Erik Rutan is perhaps not the best song writer, but despite the monotone, Hate eternal fucking rules.
Old 2005-09-26, 08:28
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to humancorpse Send a message via MSN to humancorpse
The only one I agree about mentioned in this thread is Trey, which tend have some kind fucked up solos sometimes. He`s still amazing though.
Old 2005-09-26, 08:36
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, that was what I meant. He is not uncreative. He just has his own strange style.
Old 2005-09-26, 14:36
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark usurper
Karl Sanders is one of the best songwriters ever in my opinion, and how the fuck is it possible to say that Chuch and Trey arent creative? Erik Rutan is perhaps not the best song writer, but despite the monotone, Hate eternal fucking rules.

first of all, in opinion. second of all, like it or not, and even call it "creative" if you want, but there is absolutely no denying the fact that he uses that

WEEEEEEEeuhhhWEEEEuhhWEEEEuhhWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

bend all the time at the end of his solos.

chuck and trey arent creative? they arent. im talking about their solos. and even riffs, chuck rehashed the same ideas over and over and over again. you might like the ideas, just like the comic strip garfield still has some avid fans. but most peopel agree, both garfield and chuck have about 5 ideas

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|----------15--17-18--| = lasagna
|14-16-17-------------|
|----------------------|
|----------------------|

usurper- i know youre norwegian, so you probably wont get that reference
Old 2005-09-26, 14:50
Post-whore

I`ve noticed that pattern alot as well, but I still would say they`re ain`t creative, I mean, they where totally ahead of their time. They both have rehashed alot of ideas though, especially chuck, but I still feel he wasn`t doing the exact same thing all the time. As for the karl thingy, fuck off sam
Old 2005-09-26, 17:22
Supreme Metalhead

Jon Schaffer's been relying way too much on his triplets.

Kerry King couldn't write a coherent solo to save his life.

Obituary run into the "that song sounds alot like the last one" problem from time to time.

In Flames as a band don't seem to have a whole lot going on in the creative department. I'm not saying that just because they changed their style either. They just never really did anything that grabbed me enough to want ot really get into them. Alot of the Swedish bands fall into that.

The Haunted also, suck at pretty much everything. Boring riffs, all of which are either boring or repetitive.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind
Old 2005-09-26, 17:31
HES BAAACK

hehe general suckitude does indeed apply to the haunted

siggi - yeah theyre innovative. just saying, their solos arent
Old 2005-09-26, 19:08
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis

Kerry King couldn't write a coherent solo to save his life.

Listen to the "Show No Mercy" and "Haunting the Chaple" albums. They actually used to be able to write really badass solos, but they just got lazy.
Comforting silence
Old 2005-09-26, 19:20
slack as fuck

Send a message via MSN to newHELLonEARTH
true. like most of 'em.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!
Old 2005-09-26, 19:48
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Malmsteen - This faggot pirate needs to realize there is a scale besides harmonic minor.

Hahahah, so true. He loves that fucking scale. You cant shred using one scale for 20 years and expect it to sound innovative.

Quote:
Listen to the "Show No Mercy" and "Haunting the Chaple" albums. They actually used to be able to write really badass solos, but they just got lazy.

My thoughts exactly, I really think all of Kerry's and Jeff's stuff is good, and the late 80's stuff is pretty straightforward, but it is still good. War Ensamble solo fucking kicks ass.

Weak guitarists in my opinion:

Me (So as not to be a hypocrite)

Alexi Laiho - booooring

Opeth guys - booooring)

Jack Owen - Sub-standard as it gets

Hoffman brothers - boring

Chuck Schuldiner (eat it metaltabbers)

Kirk Hammet

James Hetfield

Jeff Young (So Far So Good era Megadeth, all of his soloing results in goofy bends and crappy, sporadic, uinintelligable runs on wound strings)

Hudy and Thrufel of Yattering (if you think the albums are played sloppily and haven't heard/seen their live stuff, you have no IDEA how terrible it is)

Sami Yli-Sirniö (Kreator) - totally unoriginal, every solo equates to 5 seconds of awful, awful shredding, followed by a minute and a half of trills and wah.

Jorg Tritze (Kreator) - Riffs are ok, but solo-wise, just fucking bad.

All black metal guitarists, albeit Ihsahn and Samoth. Even if there are any talents out there, they are still playing black metal!

I see absolutely nothing productive coming from this thread. I can't believe it made it 3 pages.....
Old 2005-09-26, 20:21
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

That only makes him worse.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind
Old 2005-09-26, 20:42
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:

Slayer are not known as great soloists, theyre not Mustainne and Friedman Or hetfield and Hammett. But Slayer still kicks ass.
Old 2005-09-26, 22:43
Post-whore

Shuldiner was a sloppy soloist and might have been just a tad repetetive, but take any song off of an album like symbolic, compare it to a modern death metal "song", and I want you to tell me chuck's songs didn't make you feel something. I dare you.
Old 2005-09-27, 06:00
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Hahahah, so true. He loves that fucking scale. You cant shred using one scale for 20 years and expect it to sound innovative.

My thoughts exactly, I really think all of Kerry's and Jeff's stuff is good, and the late 80's stuff is pretty straightforward, but it is still good. War Ensamble solo fucking kicks ass.

Weak guitarists in my opinion:

Me (So as not to be a hypocrite)

Alexi Laiho - booooring

Opeth guys - booooring)

Jack Owen - Sub-standard as it gets

Hoffman brothers - boring

Chuck Schuldiner (eat it metaltabbers)

Kirk Hammet

James Hetfield

Jeff Young (So Far So Good era Megadeth, all of his soloing results in goofy bends and crappy, sporadic, uinintelligable runs on wound strings)

Hudy and Thrufel of Yattering (if you think the albums are played sloppily and haven't heard/seen their live stuff, you have no IDEA how terrible it is)

Sami Yli-Sirniö (Kreator) - totally unoriginal, every solo equates to 5 seconds of awful, awful shredding, followed by a minute and a half of trills and wah.

Jorg Tritze (Kreator) - Riffs are ok, but solo-wise, just fucking bad.

All black metal guitarists, albeit Ihsahn and Samoth. Even if there are any talents out there, they are still playing black metal!

I see absolutely nothing productive coming from this thread. I can't believe it made it 3 pages.....

so you decide to post in it anyways? you and your being "productive". for fucks sake this is the internet, we're here to talk about metal and get differnet viewpoints on music. get off your high horse "lol @ u guyz, loserz!"

besides, discussion is productive.
Old 2005-09-27, 10:13
Post-whore

Agreed, this is the first discussion I`ve seen here for a long time where no one has gotten into some gay e-fight.
Quote:
siggi - yeah theyre innovative. just saying, their solos arent

Oh, I thought you ment their writing in general. well then I kinda agree
Old 2005-09-27, 11:31
Senior Metalhead

Well, lets see any of you pump out albums like these guitarists have.

They made a name for themselves. They must have something that you like about them or you wouldn't care. If you only heard a few songs from these players, you wouldn't say that they are repetitive, but creative. It's a personal style. They have trademark moves. It's what separates them from the usual players. If it works, don't fix it.

I can tell when something gets boring. I noticed that Slayer has gotten boring after seasons in the abyss. The solo's and songs don't seem as moving as they once were. The earlier stuff is beast though.

Morbid Angel and Trey? You gotta be joking. I mean, the solos really don't do anything for me off of the first two albums (Alter and Blessed) they seem pointless. But trey's song writing on all the albums is decent. They got a tonne of killer songs and catchy tunes. I listen to all their albums still. He was so good that he set the tone for himself.

Chuck? what? you can't follow the progression and growth from album to album? Solos? Is there a problem here? He didn't string them out. they are not long. they do the job and fit in extremely well with his songs. He made his mark and now he's being shit on. Why do you think he wanted to start "control denied"??? he wanted to move on to being more creative and he finally got a permanent band for once.

Do any of you watch sports? Movies? play vids? Boring. The one player always uses the same move every game. Why do the cops come in full force in the end of a movie when everything is already solved? Why is it every single game of warcraft, diablo, and final fantasy is the same damn thing over again? CLICHE! People still use cliches, it's like beating a dead horse or its pouring cats and dogs.

These guys have "skill sets" They are good at what they do and stick with what they know. It's tough to be creative. There's only 12 notes! Every scale and chord progression has been done hundreds of times over. How creative would you be after writing over 50 songs? It's like writers block. sometimes you just can't figure something out but you need to have the solo done by tomorrow in the studio, or come up with something here. Can you make a kick ass solo in one day? What the hell would Iron Maiden do? They've drained the bank on themselves.

Bottom portion

Do any of you even have a decent solo that's creative and wasn't influenced by anyone?

How about 10 solos.

Do any of you have 10 solos that don't use the same skills as the other solos?

Step up to the plate you pansies! I have no solos because I can't solo.

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000
Old 2005-09-27, 19:05
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus666
Correct about that one. Btw, that classical technique is just 'using pedal notes'.

Pedal notes?
Old 2005-09-27, 19:09
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to sqol
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Pedal notes?

Yea, the guitarist just mimes, and the drummer plays some notes with the pedals on his drum kit- theres a secret little switch to change the pedals from "hit things" to "pedal notes"

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven
Old 2005-09-27, 19:13
Post-whore

Behave.