MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2007-03-07, 16:59
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
In general, history provides the skills (memorising, compiling information, analysis or whatever) that employers want...apparently.
I don't think the job sector over here is as degree specific as I hear the American one is, so if people say, want to become accountants, they're not limited to studying accountancy at university.

Medieval history is just a hell of a lot more interesting than modern history. For me, at least. And no, it's not necessarily a time period completely known about. What do you mean by "completely known about" anyway? We know more about the kind of stuff you study in modern history than we do about medieval/ancient history.

After university? I'll probably go for an MA, possibly a PhD if I'm not completely tired of studying. Possibly fuck around and travel for a bit. Whatever I do, I plan on joining the military at some point.

Ok thats the kind of answer i was looking for. hah Sounds like a solid plan.

I'm on spring break right now. My friend is livin it up in las vegas. He called me last night screaming because he bet all his like rent money on black at a roulette table that spinned 18 times in a row on red. So he bet like 500 bucks on black and LOST hahahahha. I was laughing so hard. At least hes having fun.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-03-07, 17:01
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
In general, history provides the skills (memorising, compiling information, analysis or whatever) that employers want...apparently. I don't think the job sector over here is as degree specific as I hear the American one is, so if people say, want to become accountants, they're not limited to studying accountancy at university.Medieval history is just a hell of a lot more interesting than modern history. For me, at least. And no, it's not necessarily a time period completely known about. What do you mean by "completely known about" anyway? We know more about the kind of stuff you study in modern history than we do about medieval/ancient history.After university? I'll probably go for an MA, possibly a PhD if I'm not completely tired of studying. Possibly fuck around and travel for a bit. Whatever I do, I plan on joining the military at some point.

hah actually two of my roommates..well one just moved out again, both finished school with a history degree. not sure what period specifically..i think one was colonial history. they both went into graduate classes..one is still going..the other i think kinda gave up or put it off for a later date.

the one who put it off is working here with me doing financial advising and credit repair and other random shit. well i was gonna write more..but i'm going on my lunch break so maybe i'll finish when i get back or if i don't find anything entertaining to do while i am at home.

edit..well i guess i kinda forgot what i was going on about..but oh well. sounds like you have it all fairly planned out. do you get any added benefits in the military there if you do have a phd? here in the states i don't think anything after your ba makes any difference, though i could be mistaken.

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-03-07 at 19:00.

Old 2007-03-07, 17:45
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

You don't have to study accountancy in America to become an accountant; in general, European schools require you to be locked into a direction to a much greater degree than American schools.

And you should study what you're interested in; you might never get the time and resources to do so ever again.

Old 2007-03-07, 18:48
fatdanny
Post-whore

My supervisor told me today that the funding for my PhD is secured, and my official acceptance documents should come through soon. I'm off to the pub.

Old 2007-03-07, 19:34
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
You don't have to study accountancy in America to become an accountant; in general, European schools require you to be locked into a direction to a much greater degree than American schools.

And you should study what you're interested in; you might never get the time and resources to do so ever again.

Ah right, I thought it was the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
My supervisor told me today that the funding for my PhD is secured, and my official acceptance documents should come through soon. I'm off to the pub.

Woah, congratulations dude!

Old 2007-03-07, 19:42
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:

Awesome job man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-03-08, 08:39
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
You don't have to study accountancy in America to become an accountant...

Same here, although unqualified accountants cannot sign audit reports. This usually means that their market is small companies and the self-employed.

Generally, most unqualified accountants are bookkeepers with a very limited grasp of calculating tax. Tax planning, VAT, audit and general business advice will 95% of the time be cocked up by an unqualified accountant. Actually, the thought of an unqualified accountant giving advice on these matters makes me shudder. The number of companies we have had to wind up because the previous (unqualified) accountant has done such a botched job that we can't identify balance sheet balances (the most important section of a set of accounts as it shows the company's solvency) is quite frightening.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2007-03-08, 13:00
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:

You have to get funding for your PhD?? Damn. Why and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
My friend is livin it up in las vegas. He called me last night screaming because he bet all his like rent money on black at a roulette table that spinned 18 times in a row on red. So he bet like 500 bucks on black and LOST hahahahha. I was laughing so hard. At least hes having fun.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOUR FRIEND BET 500 DOLLARS ON A COGNITIVE FALLACY!

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Last edited by far_beyond_sane : 2007-03-08 at 13:02.

Old 2007-03-08, 14:47
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Update on replies received so far:

Oxford - Unsurprisingly, denied (I'm happy that I can at least say I tried and failed, rather than never having tried)

St Andrews - Denied

Edinburgh - Denied

Exeter - ABB for Ancient History

York - BBB for Historical Archaeology

Warwick - No reply yet

York is the most appealing, and if I could do things a second time around then I definitely would've applied to archaeology across the board, rather than a mish-mash of ancient and medieval history.

York is a cool uni and a cool town/city, i've got a few mates doing electronics up there... nice and cheap ales

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-03-08, 16:25
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOUR FRIEND BET 500 DOLLARS ON A COGNITIVE FALLACY!

Of course he did... ITS VEGAS. hahaha
This is the same place that doesn't allow cellphones, has no windows and or clocks.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.

Old 2007-03-08, 18:34
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane

I can't afford uni fees and college fees (~£4000 a year) plus rent (another ~£4000 a year) plus living expenses without funding.
My supervisor gets money from various pharmaceutical companies and the EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
) to spend on PhDs (I'm in organic chemistry).
I will probably get around £13K a year (tax free) plus uni/college fees paid, so that's for living and rent. Not too shabby.

Funding for scientific research PhDs is much easier to get than funding for arts PhDs.

Old 2007-03-08, 18:35
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
I can't afford uni fees and college fees (~£4000 a year) plus rent (another ~£4000 a year) plus living expenses without funding.
My supervisor gets money from various pharmaceutical companies and the EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
) to spend on PhDs (I'm in organic chemistry).
I will probably get around £13K a year (tax free) plus uni/college fees paid, so that's for living and rent. Not too shabby.

Funding for scientific research PhDs is much easier to get than funding for arts PhDs.

Organic chemistry? Oh dear god somebody needs to put you out of your misery.

I was gonna do chemistry till i realized it was too math oriented and was too dry of a science field. So i changed to Geology.

Old 2007-03-08, 18:54
fatdanny
Post-whore

Physical chemistry is very maths orientated, organic has barely any (except mechanistic/kinetic studies, which I'm not massively into). I do organic synthesis, making drug candidates/novel antivirals. The reason chemistry may seem is dry is that most of the cutting edge stuff is practically incomprehensible to anyone without a chemistry degree.

Old 2007-03-09, 00:49
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Different system... PhDs are free here. At least, mine is. PhD students generally stay alive working in research or with scholarships. Getting admitted can be hard though.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2007-03-09, 01:10
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

That's just so fucking scary.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2007-04-03, 17:28
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but I've gotta ask some of you who are more experienced in college and.... well, life in general. I know, asking a forum is stupid, but the only people I asked are my parents who give me the same "You need college or else you won't survive" speech.

I've been thinking about quitting college and just apply full time to my job, and use the money I earn to fund my music career. Only chance I'll have one is if I give up either my job or college. Since my job is the one giving me money, and college is giving me absolutely nothing, I'm thinking of dropping it. But I was wondering if any of you have been to college, quit, or know someone who has quit. Since most of you don't know me personally, I'm more likely going to get a more reasonable answer.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-04-03, 17:51
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
I know, asking a forum is stupid...

not in my opinion. i think people underestimate the help you can get on a forum. then they try to make it sound worse by saying a METAL FORUM, as if all metalheads are idiots. lots of the people on here are experienced and insightful. people should cut the "omgz its a forumz, why on earth are you asking for help herez" bullshit. look how many people get help in the gear forum
Quote:
Since most of you don't know me personally, I'm more likely going to get a more reasonable answer.
another reason why it is really a good thing to seek advice on a forum of people, whom are quite often trustworthy.

my advice, stay in school. there is a reason why so many people go in the first place. sure, its overrated, in the workforce, but its not like employers can just trust that you know what you are doing, without knowing you at all. since youre already in it, fuckin stick it out (not your penis). its designed to get you more money with better jobs, in the long run. some people luck out, and get enough money to support themselves in music. most dont, and its not like metal is this goldmine career. you can continue music on the side, like countless people do. but i wouldnt base your life on it.

Old 2007-04-03, 18:08
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

Why can't you have a job, college, and music career?

Old 2007-04-03, 18:43
Requiem
Post-whore

I plan on doing two years at a local community college. To do my basics, then I'm off to a bigger one for computer science.

Old 2007-04-03, 18:48
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

CtL: College isn't a guarantee of anything, but it's almost certainly a safety net and, depending on what you're taking, may be giving you important skills. College really only offers two things: a possible future payoff, and the opportunity to bullshit around for slightly longer than you'd otherwise be able to. If none of that sounds appealing, then maybe you should drop out. It really depends on whether or not you think you're the type of person who can accomplish things without the various layers of qualifications that are usually demanded; these people exist, and will succeed with or without college. But for everybody else, college can really help. And, to be frank, I don't think you're that type of person. But you figure it out.

Requiem: Don't go to college. Get a job at a gas station and work your way up to manager. Marry a woman who looks almost exactly like you, and get her fat and pregnant.

Old 2007-04-03, 18:57
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Requiem: Don't go to college. Get a job at a gas station and work your way up to manager. Marry a woman who looks almost exactly like you, and get her fat and pregnant.

Why would you direct something like that towards me?

Old 2007-04-03, 19:17
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but I've gotta ask some of you who are more experienced in college and.... well, life in general. I know, asking a forum is stupid, but the only people I asked are my parents who give me the same "You need college or else you won't survive" speech.

I've been thinking about quitting college and just apply full time to my job, and use the money I earn to fund my music career. Only chance I'll have one is if I give up either my job or college. Since my job is the one giving me money, and college is giving me absolutely nothing, I'm thinking of dropping it. But I was wondering if any of you have been to college, quit, or know someone who has quit. Since most of you don't know me personally, I'm more likely going to get a more reasonable answer.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but seriously suck it up man. This is just another life lesson coming at you and you doing what it appears you normally do. (Go the other direction)

Life is filled with all sorts of seemingly pointless ups and downs and stress from other angles.

Trust me dropping out is probably the dumbest idea you could do.

What job skills do you have that are marketable/profitable? No offense but i'm going to go with none unless you are talking about working at low wage jobs your entire life.

CTL take it from me, what you're doing now is what you should be doing, screw your head back on and get back into the game. The more you pout about things like this the more you're going to second guess seemingly simple pathways that are obviously correct in nature. Trust me i know, i've been there, we've all been there, and are CURRENTLY there.

If you had a better more solid plan than "music career" i might have supported you, but i can definitely guarrentte you are up for some serious dissapointments if you drop out and do that.

Old 2007-04-03, 19:17
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

It's my sincere advice.

Old 2007-04-03, 19:20
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
It's my sincere advice.

That truely does offend me. Most people don't take what others say about them online but I do. You hurt my feelings.

Old 2007-04-03, 19:42
CompelledToLacerate

Well, the biggest problem I'm having with college is the same shit I've dealt with in high school; all these academic classes. And these are all the lower level classes I'm talking and I'm still struggling with them. The semester has just been shit. I've had to drop one class because it took up too much of my time. Now I might have to drop all my classes because I'm doing terrible in them. Either that or get a failing grade in them, which is supposedly worse than dropping them according to them.

It just seems like a waste of money to do something I've never been good at my whole life.

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-04-03, 19:44
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Well, the biggest problem I'm having with college is the same shit I've dealt with in high school; all these academic classes. And these are all the lower level classes I'm talking and I'm still struggling with them. The semester has just been shit. I've had to drop one class because it took up too much of my time. Now I might have to drop all my classes because I'm doing terrible in them. Either that or get a failing grade in them, which is supposedly worse than dropping them according to them.

It just seems like a waste of money to do something I've never been good at my whole life.

you know, there is a guy in my class, who i honestly think should give up and go to labor, or something. this may be the case with you. BUT, he is just dumb. you may just be lazy.

Old 2007-04-03, 22:48
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
you know, there is a guy in my class, who i honestly think should give up and go to labor, or something. this may be the case with you. BUT, he is just dumb. you may just be lazy.

exactly.

Maybe you're taking the wrong classes and need to take shit that intrests you more. Granted there are requirements that you have to take that are outside your intrest, but you'll have to do the very same in all aspects of life, so suck it up, pass them and move on.

Old 2007-04-03, 23:19
CompelledToLacerate

Trust me, if I could just pass, I wouldn't be having a problem.

I could probably pass my politics class. That I'll admit I've had problems because of my laziness.

I'm also taking a speaking intensive Earth Science class. I've never been able to take notes off of a teacher who just talks and talks. More than likely I'll probably drop this class.

Math is just.... ergh. I don't even need to go to class except for probably the first half an hour of it. All we do in the class that could affect my grade is these homework check quizzes that I can do in 2 minutes. You don't learn anything in there. She just keeps talking and talking and it doesn't help at all.

There are some options that I could explore as far as private tutoring goes, but it just seems so degrading and pathetic that I would have to look for private help while all these other kids can just whiz right through this school with no problems.

Quote:

Old 2007-04-04, 04:23
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

CTL, It doesnt seem like you took much notice of this:

Quote:
Maybe you're taking the wrong classes and need to take shit that intrests you more.

Old 2007-04-04, 06:58
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Well, you don't have to follow my advice. I just think you'd be best off if you did.

CtL: Talk to the teacher of the science class. Are you really willing to waste your time and your parents' money because you're too afraid to talk to somebody about a problem you're having? Just ace the math class. Sounds easy. Put in the little bit of effort necessary for the politics class. Then, in the future, take some classes that actually interest you. There are bound to be some. That's the only way to make college manageable.

Now, I have all sorts of non-school activities I like to do and don't like to let my homework get in the way of them. The best thing to do about this is to take advantage of the amount of bullshit downtime a given school day has. There are tons of empty minutes which you can fill by quickly doing the work asked of you. Suddenly your free time is open for what you want it for. You need to figure out when those minutes are and to realize that you'll be much happier if you do that with them instead of whatever bullshit you normally do. This isn't much of a secret, but it's the only one I have and it's definitely done a lot towards getting me easily through one of the supposedly most difficult schools in the country with a high GPA, without school taking up time I wanted to use for myself.

Old 2007-04-04, 11:14
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Well, you don't have to follow my advice. I just think you'd be best off if you did.

CtL: Talk to the teacher of the science class. Are you really willing to waste your time and your parents' money because you're too afraid to talk to somebody about a problem you're having? Just ace the math class. Sounds easy. Put in the little bit of effort necessary for the politics class. Then, in the future, take some classes that actually interest you. There are bound to be some. That's the only way to make college manageable.

Now, I have all sorts of non-school activities I like to do and don't like to let my homework get in the way of them. The best thing to do about this is to take advantage of the amount of bullshit downtime a given school day has. There are tons of empty minutes which you can fill by quickly doing the work asked of you. Suddenly your free time is open for what you want it for. You need to figure out when those minutes are and to realize that you'll be much happier if you do that with them instead of whatever bullshit you normally do. This isn't much of a secret, but it's the only one I have and it's definitely done a lot towards getting me easily through one of the supposedly most difficult schools in the country with a high GPA, without school taking up time I wanted to use for myself.

Most fucking definitely. I KNOW i have time inbetween classes andmoments here and htere where i can knock shit out but i wait literally till the last fucking minute and cram. I don't do best that way, i just do it that way.

And CTL. Definitely follow that advice right there. (the first one) Its what i was gonna say exactly.

Also trust me all these people "wizzing by" are either.
A. Putting in the time and effort to learn
B. Probably not doing that great
C. Probably not going to graduate as it is.
D. Asking for help and you not knowing about it.
And some who yes
E. Are doing just fine on their own. (luckily)

I say luckily because there will be shit teachers who make even the most deadbrain easy of classes hard as hell because of their inability to teach.

Old 2007-04-05, 01:34
The Execrator
Noob lud

I'm going to community college for a year, getting some basic classes out of the way. I hope to transfer to the same school Tranz is about to go to. I'm going to major in buisness administration with my focus on finance and information technology.

I definitly plan on going for my master's, hopfully right after I get my bachelors but it will probably be a few years later. Hopefully I can land a job where they will pay for it for me to go part time. Or I can just get a temporary job in my field to get some expirience and cash, then go back full time. We'll see how this plays out over the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2007-04-05, 13:44
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I hope you're not dumb and it's just laziness.....because laziness is a lot easier to overcome.

I've got 19 hours of advanced course work this semester and I'm passing just fine. Just this week I had/have an American Lit paper due tuesday, a Music History paper due yesterday, a Jazz History exam today, and a History of Symphonic Lit exam today. Next week I've got an Elem Stat exam on Thursday and a Music History exam on Friday. The week after that on the 19th my European Terrorism paper will be due.

I still have enough time to drink heavily, play guitar/vocals in my band, freelance my double bass yearly in a paid orchestra gig, aikido, and pass as a solid "B" (3.08GPA) student.

....and yes....I can't forget to say that I'll never do something this fucking stressful again. Especially when I try to get accepted into grad school for a Master in Music.

By the way....here's some advice I think may help....if you're going to get a general type of degree in music, you should get a Master's degree. For a degree in a specific aspect of music you can get away with a bachelor.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-04-05, 20:00
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
CTL, It doesnt seem like you took much notice of this:

Meramec Comm College doesn't exactly have a big music program as far as I know. If it does, it's probably just extracurricular and won't count as far as credits go..... again, as far as I know.

They have a symphonic band there I heard, and I"m guessing that since it's a college level band I'll most likely have to audition. No problem, except one; I would most likely go back to playing tuba, but I don't know if they'd let me borrow one, if I could borrow one from my high school band teacher, or if I could buy one. I know I can't buy one; the case alone would cost almost a grand.

There are, say, three courses in fine arts that deal with music. I'm thinking next semester would be a perfect time to check them out, but none of them are playing classes; one's like a history of rock music class, and I think one's a music theory class.

I'm thinking I'll take two classes I know I'll enjoy, and two classes I'll need next semester. But now, I've got to figure out if I'm gonna pass my current classes. I've got till next friday to withdraw if I have no chance in hell. Even if I did try my best all the way to the end, it doesn't guarentee a passing grade (need at least a "c").

Quote:

Old 2007-08-20, 03:10
CompelledToLacerate

Man, school starts again tomorrow. I'm bummed. I need hugging.

1300 dollars for this semester, tuition+books.

Quote:

Old 2007-08-20, 05:33
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:

Yeah, it sucks. But think of it this way. My friend Heather pointed out the obvious last week: College is about getting raped for money, and owing it back when you graduate. Its just one of those things you have to accept in order to get ahead.

I'm actually looking to transfer right now. I want to major in photography, and I'm probably not going to fucking rest till I do. School here in Delaware, but its real selective. I'm spending from now till the spring building a string portfolio, and then I'll apply with my best shit. DCAD (Delaware School for Art and Design).

Awesome.

Old 2007-08-21, 00:35
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:

I have orientation day at UMass on Thursday. I don't miss school yet, but I already miss summer.

Old 2007-08-26, 19:38
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

It feels good being at the #1 party school in the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2007-08-26, 23:04
Transient
HES BAAACK

im settled in here at suny albany,roommate still hasnt showed up. fingers crossed i get an impromptu single

Old 2007-08-26, 23:42
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

you are on a campus?

LOL even if he is single, may be he is a player and fuck every day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-08-26, 23:50
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahaha

what i meant was, hopefully my room turns out to be a single. right now two people live in each room. but my roommate has not arrived yet. so i am hoping he NEVER comes here and i get the room to myself. although i heard that theyll just assign me someone new...

Old 2007-08-26, 23:51
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

I'm majoring in Classical Guitar at CSUN, and after that I'm going to look into composition courses at UCLA or something. If I get the chance to join a band or help score a film along the way, that would help as well. I really would love to get into film scoring, that's my ultimate goal.

Advice: STAY IN COLLEGE (unless you're offered to join CoB somewhere along the way)

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2007-10-21, 23:42
Requiem
Post-whore

http://www.itt-tech.edu/campus/courses.cfm?prog_id=2656

That's what I'm doing after high school.

Old 2007-10-21, 23:52
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Fuck college! I can be employed anywhere, and I'll be making 30 bucks an hour in a few years!

Old 2007-10-21, 23:57
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Fuck college! I can be employed anywhere, and I'll be making 30 bucks an hour in a few years!

How?

Old 2007-10-22, 00:00
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
http://www.itt-tech.edu/campus/courses.cfm?prog_id=2656

That's what I'm doing after high school.

Don't go there, I beg you, that school is a fucking ripoff and it's owned by a publicly-traded company known as ESI. It's a business operation posing as a technical college. Their loans through SallieMae are fucking ridiculous, they're more expensive than what my younger brother's tuition was at UCLA. You can basically do anything in class because no matter how of a shitty student you are they will always pass you, they are required to. There isn't a teacher there except for the GE ones that really know anything about their field, they're all jokes. After eight quarters there I only know of one teacher who really knew his shit. They don't even give you real degrees - just certificates with the word "degree" on them. Their credits are non-transferable, which means you can't take classes there and go to a state-funded CC or college and start where you left off - they're so shitty they won't honor the credits. Only private colleges, DeVry and University Of Phoenix will honor ITT credits. Don't make the same mistake I did. My "AA" in computer networking from them will hold me over for two years while I certify my ass off in Cisco and Microsoft but I'm going back to community college when I graduate in two months and basically start over again. I've been going to ITT Sylmar for two years and I should have just gone back to community college when I decided to get my education rolling again in 2005.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-10-22 at 00:27.

Old 2007-10-22, 00:18
Transient
HES BAAACK

wow i had no idea about ITT.

i was always kind of destined for a four year college, but i did a year at a commnity college to cut costs and take some basic credits. both colleges are within the SUNY network so i had no problems transferring credits

Old 2007-10-22, 00:25
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

CC's are one of the best things to ever be invented. Cheaper, still the same credit worthiness and you can always transfer to a four year after your second year. Most of those trade/vocational school like American Career College, UTI, UEI, Brooks, ITT, etc. are a fucking joke designed to rip off minorities and people who just don't know any better. Take heed.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-10-22 at 00:28.

Old 2007-10-22, 01:06
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
Don't go there, I beg you, that school is a fucking ripoff and it's owned by a publicly-traded company known as ESI. It's a business operation posing as a technical college. Their loans through SallieMae are fucking ridiculous, they're more expensive than what my younger brother's tuition was at UCLA. You can basically do anything in class because no matter how of a shitty student you are they will always pass you, they are required to. There isn't a teacher there except for the GE ones that really know anything about their field, they're all jokes. After eight quarters there I only know of one teacher who really knew his shit. They don't even give you real degrees - just certificates with the word "degree" on them. Their credits are non-transferable, which means you can't take classes there and go to a state-funded CC or college and start where you left off - they're so shitty they won't honor the credits. Only private colleges, DeVry and University Of Phoenix will honor ITT credits. Don't make the same mistake I did. My "AA" in computer networking from them will hold me over for two years while I certify my ass off in Cisco and Microsoft but I'm going back to community college when I graduate in two months and basically start over again. I've been going to ITT Sylmar for two years and I should have just gone back to community college when I decided to get my education rolling again in 2005.

No shit!! I had no idea about any of that stuff... and to think I was considering going there for a mechanical degree.

Requiem: I weld pipe in the Local 7 Albany Pipefitters Union

Old 2007-10-22, 01:14
Requiem
Post-whore

Thanks for your input Sycophant. I've finally persuaded my mother into letting me choose a CC close to where I am now.(a contradiction of a sentence hah)

Old 2007-11-03, 18:24
The Execrator
Noob lud

I'm going to an open house next weekend at the school i'm looking into transferring to for next fall. I'm just taking basic classes right now at a CC and I will be majoring in Finance next year.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2007-11-13, 00:07
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

well, right now i am at greenville christian college doing my gen eds., but next year I will either be staying hear doing a double major in performance and recording or going to Mcnally Smith to do the same thing there.

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-11-14, 19:39
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

I'm planning on going to CSU next year. I don't really have any motivation to study and learn though.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-11-15, 00:03
Requiem
Post-whore

My technology teacher introduced our class(es) to a program that our CC is offering that will allow use to get a certificate in game programming in under a year. Certificates suck, eh? But in this instance I can get a job as an intern starting off at 40,000 a year, this job will be guaranteed, if I pass my courses. Good thing is I can go back and start college again while making 40k a year and this time around get degrees and have experience so that a better company would want to hire me. Sounds like a good deal but I was thinking it would be hard to work and do college at the same time. So in the end I'll probably end up being a full time student at a CC instead of getting this certificate.

Plus I think cramming Python/Action Scripting, C++, level design, etc into 1 year is a bit fast and I may be behind others in the industry in knowledge.

Attending a two year CC then transferring to a University to major in CS sounds feasible, aye?

Old 2007-11-15, 01:59
The Execrator
Noob lud

most jobs will pay for you to go back to school, or pay a section on your school bill, if it has something to do with the job. look into that. i plan on working for a few years before i go back to school for an mba and see what i can get from my employer

Quote:

Old 2007-11-15, 02:46
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Lots of people work full-time and go to school. Be a man, or at least trust that in a few years you might be able to approximate one. The major drawbacks would be

a) You couldn't waste (as much) time on the internet
and
b) You might not get a degree as quickly as if you'd taken it as your primary focus

but we won't miss you and if you already have a job taking time isn't really a problem, like it might otherwise be. And, like x-lambofgod said, a lot of employers will help out with college in the hopes of either getting you sooner or getting you upgraded down the line. But the key thing is point a.

Old 2007-11-16, 00:07
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Lots of people work full-time and go to school. Be a man, or at least trust that in a few years you might be able to approximate one. The major drawbacks would be

a) You couldn't waste (as much) time on the internet
and
b) You might not get a degree as quickly as if you'd taken it as your primary focus

but we won't miss you and if you already have a job taking time isn't really a problem, like it might otherwise be. And, like x-lambofgod said, a lot of employers will help out with college in the hopes of either getting you sooner or getting you upgraded down the line. But the key thing is point a.

if you plan on truly becoming absorbed in what you are doing then working limits you. I work part time, I could not imagine what working full time and going to college everyday would be like. Oh, and by the way who are you to tell someone to be a man. How do you calculate someone's manliness. I mean maturity in general is just a sociological perception. In some cultures just going to college and living by yourself shows a huge leap in maturity, but I guess in your world you need to work 8 hours go to five hours worth of classes, do your homework, and keep up with your bills, personal matters etc etc...., and devoting extra time for hobbies or friends and family, all at the same time in order to be a man. Please, give me a break dude. I don't think every "man" out there runs on only a few hours of sleep everyday. There is a difference between growing up gradually, and overloading yourself all at once. I think taking the step to go to college is a big enough choice in itself. Geesh.

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-11-16, 04:17
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I am actually our culture's Official Arbiter of Manliness. I consider each applicant on a person-to-person basis and determine what it would take to be officially considered a man, M-A-N man. Then I sing each successful applicant the 'now you're a man' song from Orgazmo.

Now, I've definitely got the credentials when it comes to sacrificing free time to the things I've desperately wanted to do, and I can list them if you really want me to. If you want to do something, you'll have the time and energy for it. And that's what I meant by being a man: being able to evaluate your wants, decide what's important to you and what's just a petty desire, and sacrifice the latter to the former.

So, my point was, if Requiem wants to get the certificate and start his life and career early and get down the path he wants to go down with the advantages he sees he can, he shouldn't be afraid of having to work a little harder to do so, especially because without being willing to do that it won't really matter what path he goes down. If he ultimately doesn't want to get it then not getting it doesn't much matter; the point is that nothing that's worth getting comes easy.

Old 2007-11-16, 23:37
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
if you plan on truly becoming absorbed in what you are doing then working limits you. I work part time, I could not imagine what working full time and going to college everyday would be like. Oh, and by the way who are you to tell someone to be a man. How do you calculate someone's manliness. I mean maturity in general is just a sociological perception. In some cultures just going to college and living by yourself shows a huge leap in maturity, but I guess in your world you need to work 8 hours go to five hours worth of classes, do your homework, and keep up with your bills, personal matters etc etc...., and devoting extra time for hobbies or friends and family, all at the same time in order to be a man. Please, give me a break dude. I don't think every "man" out there runs on only a few hours of sleep everyday. There is a difference between growing up gradually, and overloading yourself all at once. I think taking the step to go to college is a big enough choice in itself. Geesh.

Oh, snap! Yes he DID go there, girlfriend! *finger snaps*

Old 2008-01-07, 19:36
CompelledToLacerate

I hate college and college hates me apparently.

I'm through with it (probably already said this). I'm thinking after getting a letter saying I was under academic probation about a month ago and then finding out I couldn't register because I was under restricted probation and had to talk to the adviser, it's a way of saying "you don't belong here." After this, it would have been expulsion, so it's pretty inevitable.

I did get to register, though, but I'm only signing up for the classes to get a receipt so my mother's health insurance covers me for at least one more semester, then I'll withdraw and get my money back. Then it's freedom.

Quote:

Old 2008-01-09, 20:18
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

So here's my latest update.. I dropped out of college to join the Air Force. The whole college thing just wasn't for me.. i had no desire whatsoever to study, go to class, or do anything besides party. I had no desired major or interest in anything school has to offer, so i feel this was the best decision for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-01-09, 23:17
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

well, even if you took an easy or pointless major and got through it..then you could go in as an officer and get paid quite a bit more.

i finished with a BA in graphic design and never once held a graphic design job. now i'm on the road to becoming an officer in the navy.

by the way, this month i'll find out if i am selected to go to OCS, and also what job i will be doing if i am selected. after that, i just have to get through 13 weeks of fun in the cold north east.

Old 2008-01-10, 14:14
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

in september, I WILL BE IN THE PIPE TRADE$

Old 2008-01-11, 02:45
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

MI

Musicians institute:

has anyone else heard of it?
its a conservatory in hollywood. Not too many fields of study, being Bass, Guitar, Drums, Vocals, Rap, Production and thats about it.

Its heavily supported by a lot of great musicians including Paul Gilbert.

AND the entire 12 quarter period for a bachelors degree is only 60,000(5k a quarter)

if anyone near the area or knows the college at all could give me a bit more info from an unbiased standpoint would be appreciated.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2008-01-18, 23:06
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
Musicians institute:

has anyone else heard of it?
its a conservatory in hollywood. Not too many fields of study, being Bass, Guitar, Drums, Vocals, Rap, Production and thats about it.

Its heavily supported by a lot of great musicians including Paul Gilbert.

AND the entire 12 quarter period for a bachelors degree is only 60,000(5k a quarter)

if anyone near the area or knows the college at all could give me a bit more info from an unbiased standpoint would be appreciated.

Sort of sounds to me like a bit of a scam. I could be wrong, however. Are they accredited? If not, I'd look elsewhere. A degree sequence that isn't accredited won't get you much of anywheres these days.

As for me, I'm finishing up my last year at community school, transferring to suny binghamton next fall as a social science major. Hopefully I can get into the New School for Social Research after I finish my undergrad and save up some cash.

Old 2008-01-19, 19:42
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
Sort of sounds to me like a bit of a scam. I could be wrong, however. Are they accredited? If not, I'd look elsewhere. A degree sequence that isn't accredited won't get you much of anywheres these days.

As for me, I'm finishing up my last year at community school, transferring to suny binghamton next fall as a social science major. Hopefully I can get into the New School for Social Research after I finish my undergrad and save up some cash.

I asked someone at the indoor drumline thing that i do.
he said to ask another guy because he;s heard mixed opinions about it.
I'll find out if they're accredited though.

thanks

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2008-01-19, 20:31
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost
in september, I WILL BE IN THE PIPE TRADE$

You mean like plumbing?

Old 2008-01-20, 22:58
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
You mean like plumbing?

basicly
I'll be able to install plumbing IE hot water tanks and what not, do plumbing it self, or go out west and install oil pipe lines and LIVE THE MARITIME DREAM!

Old 2008-01-24, 23:25
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
I asked someone at the indoor drumline thing that i do.
he said to ask another guy because he;s heard mixed opinions about it.
I'll find out if they're accredited though.

thanks

No prob. It'd be awful if you spent even a year only to find out they aren't accredited. Thats a lot of wasted time, and more importantly...money. Good luck in your school search, however.

Old 2008-01-24, 23:40
Transient
HES BAAACK

im really starting to wonder if college is right for me

Old 2008-01-25, 04:31
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
im really starting to wonder if college is right for me

Yeah... college has a way of doing that. It makes me wonder every single time I have to wake up ridiculously early to get to class on time, it makes me wonder every single time I desperately want to go to sleep but have to stay up ridiculously late to finish some fucking paper, it makes me wonder every single time I bump into a friend and can't go out that night. It makes me wonder every single time I blow two weeks worth of pay checks on purchasing school books. It makes me wonder every single time I remember that I'm forcing myself into future debt by taking out student loans to pay for what the government didn't cover. Somehow, though, I still do it. Somehow, a million billion other kids do it, too. A lot of them have it much easier than me, that's true. A whole lot of that have it a lot worse, too, and they still fucking do it.

If you can force yourself to do it, fucking do it. I can do it because my survival depends on it. If I don't do it, I will not live a successful life. It's that simple for me. That's how I do it.

Old 2008-01-25, 20:19
Transient
HES BAAACK

i know, thats the ONLY reason im doing it. if i could get a 45,-55,000 office job offer right now id be really tempted to quit school and take it. im majoring in linguistics which i find mildly interesting , just beginning classes for my major. but its not something where im like "ITLL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN I GET THAT JOB AS _____" im just hoping i find a job i dig when i get out of school.

another reason im staying in school is because i cant hold a good 50% if not more jobs out there, particularly non-degree or vocational school jobs on account of my back pain

Old 2008-01-25, 20:37
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

i got into the U of Minnesota. thats where i'll be in the fall.

Old 2008-01-26, 16:28
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost
or go out west and install oil pipe lines and LIVE THE MARITIME DREAM!

That's basically what I do now. Are you joining a pipefitters union of some sort?

I work in a joint that looks this, that makes chemicals and shit for General Electric. It's fuckin great work, as long as you protect yourself from the chemicals.

Old 2008-01-26, 18:46
Transient
HES BAAACK

and chemical explosion clouds hahaha

Old 2008-01-26, 21:31
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

By "protecting yourself" I actually meant running to the work truck and getting the fuck outta there

Old 2008-07-19, 04:57
CompelledToLacerate

I'm going back to school. It's been fun, but I don't see myself working at crappy jobs the rest of my life.

Starting off small this time. I think what really killed me was taking on all these classes at once. Granted, it was only four classes, but I should have known better.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a Bachelor degree in Audio Engineering. If anyone has any experience in this field, I'd be more than happy to get any info from you about this. any info.

Quote:

Old 2008-07-19, 05:20
Requiem
Post-whore

Good choice, CTL.

Forums are a great place to seek advice. Try creating a thread in the gear forum, sure someone could help you out.

Old 2008-07-19, 13:03
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
I'm going back to school. It's been fun, but I don't see myself working at crappy jobs the rest of my life.

Starting off small this time. I think what really killed me was taking on all these classes at once. Granted, it was only four classes, but I should have known better.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a Bachelor degree in Audio Engineering. If anyone has any experience in this field, I'd be more than happy to get any info from you about this. any info.

haha man 4 classes is light, its usually 5 per sem. im taking summer classes so i dont have to take 5 in one semester, but that has its own share of problems.

just because you like music does NOT mean youll like audio engineering. i love music and i love production and various studio sounds and stuff but that stuff is pretty dry imo, its a lot of knobs and fine tuning and stuff. its not as great as people imagine i think

Old 2008-07-20, 07:11
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
haha man 4 classes is light, its usually 5 per sem. im taking summer classes so i dont have to take 5 in one semester, but that has its own share of problems.

just because you like music does NOT mean youll like audio engineering. i love music and i love production and various studio sounds and stuff but that stuff is pretty dry imo, its a lot of knobs and fine tuning and stuff. its not as great as people imagine i think

i agree.

How much time have you even spent recording, and by recording i mean you setting it all up and doing all of the controls of recording. (CTL i'm refering to)

I had considered getting a degree in it, but look at the prices for it, its not reall worth it unless you know for a fact you want to do that. There isn't going back for like 10-20k a semester....

Old 2008-07-20, 17:43
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Wow my freshman orientation for college was gay. we pretty much got told everything we were told in high school, and then played stupid games that children would enjoy.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2008-07-20, 19:28
TheTrueAceofSpades
New Blood

My college orientation was just the other day. I didn't learn anything new from it. But atleast I got registered for my classes. I'm just getting my generals done at this college(Inver Hills Community College).

Old 2008-07-20, 20:10
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
i agree.

How much time have you even spent recording, and by recording i mean you setting it all up and doing all of the controls of recording. (CTL i'm refering to)

I had considered getting a degree in it, but look at the prices for it, its not reall worth it unless you know for a fact you want to do that. There isn't going back for like 10-20k a semester....

Well, I still want to do something in music, but I can't rely on my first "Career" choice, which is start a band and get somewhere with it. I'm not looking for something glamorous or looking out to conquer the world in some way. This just seems logical since it's something I can actually use in my own life.

No, I haven't done any recording, and I imagine it's going to be hard to learn how to. But for the first time, I'm willing to work hard for this, even if it means taking a bunch of bullshit classes like Writing Comp.

ANYTHING would be better than working at a grocery store the rest of my life, sitting in my room downloading porn, watching reruns of Friends and DBZ over and over again.

Quote:

Old 2008-07-20, 21:42
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Well, I still want to do something in music, but I can't rely on my first "Career" choice, which is start a band and get somewhere with it. I'm not looking for something glamorous or looking out to conquer the world in some way. This just seems logical since it's something I can actually use in my own life.

No, I haven't done any recording, and I imagine it's going to be hard to learn how to. But for the first time, I'm willing to work hard for this, even if it means taking a bunch of bullshit classes like Writing Comp.

ANYTHING would be better than working at a grocery store the rest of my life, sitting in my room downloading porn, watching reruns of Friends and DBZ over and over again.

Regardless you need to go to college, and if you don't know exactly what you want to do getting a "regular" degree will help you much more likely.

Keep music as your passion. Unless you have real potential to be a professional performer (and thats what you want to become) then getting a music degree won't help you. Unless you go to a technical school and like i was saying that shit is extremely, extremely expensive. I wouldn't go to one of those schools unless you already had some experience and were out of college already and were already doing recording. Or maybe not even out of college but if you had already had experience in beginning to record.

Also being an audio engineer isn't for everyone. Some people just have a nack for their listening ability, which you may or may not have.

I love music just as much as the next person. I play anywhere from 3-5 hours everyday. (sometimes more than that) I do record fairly often (haven't in a little while and right now i'm waiting for drivers to be updated so i can record on my new computer.) From everything that i've heard and experienced getting a music degree for most people isn't a very good idea.

A music degree is the most worthless degree you can possibly get unless you become a professional music player. (and good fucking luck with that) If you're not going to a very serious music school, and or already have serious musical talent then how competitive would you even be professionally?

If you want to play music in a "regular band" i definitely wouldn't use it as something to rely on (good thing you already know this). I think its something that happens, although you should do it for the enjoyment rather than for the career. From what i've read most people who have made a career out of it kind of accidently made a career out of it, rather than looking for something to do with their life so they play music in a band now.

In summary. I'd go to college, work on the basic degree requirements that all degrees require, take a few classes in all sorts of random areas (to get yourself some broad topic knowledge) and decide what you want to do. All the while staying passionate about music.

Old 2008-07-21, 03:04
CompelledToLacerate

What do you mean by "regular" degree? I thought I had to actually major in a specific career choice to make any real money to support myself with. That's part of the reason I picked audio engineering.

As far as taking basic classes, that's what I'm doing now. Taking them at a community college, and hopefully transfer those classes to a school where I can actually take classes that pertain to my major.

To be honest, I'm pretty much dumb when it comes to how degrees work and what degree to get and whatnot. Apparently, it's not as simple as taking the classes and graduating like it is in high school. (this is where you take your shots. ha.).

Quote:

Old 2008-07-21, 09:00
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

By "regular" degree I think he means a subject that isn't as specific as music, for example a mathematics degree could lead you down numerous career paths whereas music pretty much restricts your options (assuming that you want to work in a field that utilises the knowledge you will learn on the music degree course).

Mostly, and rightly or wrongly, having a degree shows potential employers that you can knuckle down and work towards achieving something without having a teacher stand over you with a bat. If you put the work in, you get a good degree; if you laze around in an attempt to wing it, you won't. This is why employers hold a good degree grading in such high esteem; the technical ability very rarely comes into the equation unless your chosen career requires it.

Old 2008-07-21, 13:41
Transient
HES BAAACK

the way i see it, music will always always always be a part of my life. choose what youre good at and dont really mind....unless you have some kind of passion (i dont, really) just stick with what youre competent with. im getting a degree in english because for some reason im innately good in it, i dont really mind writing, and i hate ALL my other options

Old 2008-07-21, 22:14
CompelledToLacerate

That's the other reason why I chose Audio Engineering; it's something that, if by some chance in a million I get going with a band, it'd be a nice skill to utilize, and if not, then I could still make a career out of it. Not just in music, but there are some possibilities in film and video. (All this is based on what I've read, so correct me if I'm wrong).

I could try to go for a degree in mathematics or english, but I know only the basics of math and haven't even scratch trig (I've failed Intermediate Algebra 2 times already). And English, fuck, I might as well say screw it. That's why I'm taking just Writing Comp. 2 this semester because I'm going to struggle hard to pass it. I could try for a degree in those areas specifically, but I'll fail miserably.

Obviously, I'm going to need a big understanding of math and science in order to get a degree in Audio Engineering.

Quote:

Old 2008-07-22, 00:02
Transient
HES BAAACK

really there is absolutely no luck in making it with a band. this is both good and bad: ANY knucklhead in any genre can bull their way into popularity. within metal, it just means opening show after show for YEARS until you get opening slot on a metal fest, and continuing to eat the cost of your existance for like 3-4 years until youve got a name for yourself. you dont just play one show and have monte connor in the audience, who then gives you a contract and youre off. so stop thinking 'if'. if its something you really want to do, you probably should have been out there already cracking heads.

you should probably also think loooong and hard about a degree in audio engineering. if this is shaking your confidence a little, then REALLY re think it. some dudes on a forum shouldnt be able to sway you too much, and if they are, youre either too passive or more likely lacking the conviction it takes to break through in ANY field

Old 2008-07-23, 09:04
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Obviously, I'm going to need a big understanding of math and science in order to get a degree in Audio Engineering.

There will be some physics involved (most likely acoustics and wave mechanics) in that sort of degree but I'd think of it more along the lines of learning music theory; you don't need to know it to write songs but it'll probably help in trickier moments.

For instance, you could set up an audio rig by trail and error in order to achieve the most consistent sound, but this will take a long time. Alternatively, you could use theoretical knowledge of acoustics and how sound waves propagate and interact with each other to give you a good head start.

Old 2008-08-13, 22:49
Requiem
Post-whore

Two more weeks until my first semester of college. Area of study is chemistry.

What's everyone else studying in college?

Old 2008-08-13, 23:34
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:

Im leaving this sunday, im gonna try to study construction management.

Pretty much just new scenery for me to sit around and jack off all day imo.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2008-08-14, 13:51
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:

LOL cause you like drugs

wanker

Old 2008-08-14, 16:27
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
LOL cause you like drugs

wanker

People find ambition in the weirdest places.

Old 2008-08-14, 17:29
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
People find ambition in the weirdest places.

well, when you learn how to make acid hit me up. stuff is hard to find anywhere here.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2008-08-14, 20:13
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Audio engineering stuff

From my understanding of talking to people who have careers involving audio engineering, a degree is not actually very useful... none of them had degrees of any kind and they said the most useful is probably a business degree. You'd be better off just finding a place that would sort of let you intern and get some experience behind a sound board or something. That's what I do.

Old 2008-08-14, 22:16
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:

Do you genuinely enjoy chemistry?

Old 2008-08-14, 22:46
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:

Mix me up a big batch of cid and I will shower you with the finest whores and beer of your choice

Old 2008-08-14, 23:15
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes

even looking at the classes required for classes like chemistry and physics makes me sick

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2008-08-15, 00:00
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes

im sure he just browsed erowid one afternoon and decided on his career