MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2005-09-05, 02:21
Transient
HES BAAACK

thats right, dont eat it. after about a month of dieting all the cheap stuff like candy bars totally lost their appeal to me for the most part. i still like th e stuff, but you get guilty about eating it

i think you just tug on your skin or something to measure fat

Old 2005-09-05, 02:51
dark usurper
Senior Metalhead

I do some strength work out 4-5 times a week when I am at home. Just some push ups, sit ups, different weight lifting techniques and then I train my legs. For stamina I do running and bicycling pretty fast. I eat cerial at morning and after workout and bread and vegetables for lunch, fruit after school and my moms dinner (vegetables, meat/fish). I usually watch tv while strength excercise, but I love to listen to brutal death metal when I am running or cycling.

Old 2005-09-05, 02:55
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah, actually i usualyl listne to something like viking or power or melodic death metal while cycling... i find something like amon amarth makes me feel more pumped up for long term exercise...i leave the brutal music for lifting. ive got a playlist on my ipod called "brutal lifting" thats got bruts, emeth, severed savior, decapitated, devourment, etc on it

Old 2005-09-05, 06:20
ShredIsNotDead
Post-whore

To get your fat% checked you can go to your local gym and pay like 5 dollars to a test. All they do is use fat calipers which pinch your skin on certain places of your body.

A good way to check your fat/carbs/protein intake is www.fitday.com. Sign up for free

Last edited by ShredIsNotDead : 2005-09-05 at 06:24.

Old 2005-09-05, 16:37
KevC
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
thats right, dont eat it. after about a month of dieting all the cheap stuff like candy bars totally lost their appeal to me for the most part. i still like th e stuff, but you get guilty about eating it

i think you just tug on your skin or something to measure fat

thats just like me, i haven't really gotten into the dieting stuff yet, but im starting to feel guilty everytime i eat fast food, and im slowly starting to quit. and i agree with the energy amon amarth gives..death in fire omg.....makes me want to jump out the roof

Last edited by KevC : 2005-09-05 at 16:39.

Old 2005-09-05, 17:54
Transient
HES BAAACK

yes, death in fire and thousand years of oppression do what no steroid can do for me.

does anyone else's weight fluctuate? im 169 after a workout..and its been 3 days since my last workout and im 172 (ive eaten two small meals). id go to gym today...but its closed

Old 2005-09-05, 18:40
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
yes, death in fire and thousand years of oppression do what no steroid can do for me.

Quote:
does anyone else's weight fluctuate? im 169 after a workout..and its been 3 days since my last workout and im 172 (ive eaten two small meals). id go to gym today...but its closed

Water. It makes a HUGE difference.

Old 2005-09-05, 19:27
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah i suppose i do drink/sweat pounds daily when im working out

those are song titles steve

Old 2005-09-05, 19:52
humancorpse
Post-whore

I just relaised what a great album cryptopsy`s and then you`ll beg is for working out.

Old 2005-09-05, 20:31
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:

Its waterweight, foodweight/shitweight. Everyone's weight fluctuates like that, hence the reason its basically pointless to weigh yourself every day, especially right after a workout.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of bench and curl burnouts lately.

Old 2005-09-05, 21:05
KevC
Senior Metalhead

damn lately, the gym near my house has been closed because of a small flooding, its been closed for 2 weeks and i feel like shit

Old 2005-09-05, 21:26
The Execrator
Noob lud

Im joining a new gym tomorrow. It will actually be my second membership there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-09-05, 23:00
ManOwaR
Post-whore

I can't go to the gym because I live on a farm :/
I've got a weightlifting bench and a box thingy in my garage thoug I know it ain't as good as a real gym but at least it's something ehh!

Old 2005-09-05, 23:11
Transient
HES BAAACK

definitely. besides its not likea gym has stuff you cant do at your house, if you arent creative. where theres a will theres a way

Old 2005-09-05, 23:31
ManOwaR
Post-whore

hehe yea

Old 2005-09-06, 00:06
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

What kind of farms are there in Iceland?

Old 2005-09-06, 00:18
ManOwaR
Post-whore

well, the one I live on has got cows, horses, dogs and sheep. There are also some that have pigs and we use to have chickens and ducks...

Old 2005-09-06, 14:45
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

How many metal dudes are really buff , other than the Misfits , not to many , Oh yeah Zakk , and the band Cage the guitar player is pretty big , maybe Lynch .
We should create an army of buff metal monsters LOL
5' 10" 250 confirmed gym rat , I work out to old thrash testament anthrax , slayer.

Old 2005-09-06, 14:48
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahah yeah but, being a touring musician itd be REALLY hard to stay in shape. even if you eat right...theres no place for you to work out. and most bands dont eat right.

Old 2005-09-06, 14:58
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
hahah yeah but, being a touring musician itd be REALLY hard to stay in shape. even if you eat right...theres no place for you to work out. and most bands dont eat right.

you got a point , so when I get big I mean really big , I want it added in the rider , free trial workouts at the local Golds , yeah thats it , pretty cool , Hey I can dream can't I

Old 2005-09-06, 15:34
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

I can't afford a membership to a gym, but I work out at home on a machine and with free weights. I go on a three mile walk every night and do a random number of situps every day. I also play baseball and go snakehunting a lot, which are both strenous physical activities that can be counted as excersise.

I actually have free access to the gym at my college, but I have no way of getting there right now. I do hope to utilize it when I learn to drive, at which point I can go as often as I can afford the gas and time.

Old 2005-09-06, 16:41
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I read somewhere to not judge yourself by your weight but by how you feel. I got so sick and damn tired of hearing almost all the women I worked with talking about this diet or that and all the artificial sweeteners they pumped themselves full of. They had high bloodpressure and one was diagnosed with Lupus which she refused to believe. I'd eat a couple peanutbutter sandwiches on 12 grain for lunch and eat a protein bar for a snack and drink some propel or gatorade. Then water for the rest of the afternoon.
Bob's got a big 2 station monstrosity in the garage because it wouldn't fit in the house. I dont' know what he's going to do with it now, but he used it religiously when he was home. His brother is too tall to use it and I don't know how to do much on it. There's a treamill in his room and free weights, too.
fox' --You're about 2 inches taller than me and about 90 pounds more. You must be built like a tank!!! ( And I don't mean that in a bad way.lol)

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-09-08, 21:23
KevC
Senior Metalhead

can anyone recommend any good healthy snacks to eat when im hungry before meals?

Old 2005-09-08, 22:06
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hmm. A banana, yogurt, cashews, grapes, a pear, crackers and peanut butter...

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-09-08, 22:08
Transient
HES BAAACK

stay away from cashews unless you can eat just one handful of them. tastey as they are, theyre terrible for you

a snack that works well for me is an apple and a handful of dry unsalted roasted nuts....or one rice cake (a whopping 45 calorie snack)

Old 2005-09-08, 22:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, you basically want to avoid salty and fatty stuff. And remember, it's only a snack, don't eat a ton of whatever it is your eating. Like Transient said, go for a handfull of chashews instead of like 5. Alot of nuts(unsalted) make good snacks.

I looked it up. A serving of nuts is an ounce. which would be about 18 regular sized cashews, which would equal about 163 calories.

Quote:

Last edited by The Execrator : 2005-09-08 at 22:20.

Old 2005-09-08, 23:45
KevC
Senior Metalhead

hmmm thanks guys, too bad i cant eat apples or my gums flare up and itch like fucking hell. i think its the peel that causes it and im too lazy to get it off. this happens with eggplants and cherries as well. anyone else here get that?

Last edited by KevC : 2005-09-08 at 23:50.

Old 2005-09-09, 10:54
Transient
HES BAAACK

ive never heard of that!, thats a shame too...maybe you have slight allergies to apple skin

Old 2005-09-09, 12:49
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I know the roof of your mouth itching is a sign of allergy, too. A woman from a class I took was talking about those whitening strips and she had a really bad reaction to them like you did from the foods. She was allergic to the bleaching stuff.

I don't know if they wax cherries or eggplant not to make them shine, but sometimes they do apples. Have you ever tried organic ones that don't have any pesticides or waxes on them? There might be something similar in each of those that's causing your trouble, too. Especially if both red and green apples do it. I can't understand why the interior of an apple wouldn't do it unless it is the rinds of what you're eating. That's why I was thinking pesticdes or waxes.

Tranny--Ricecakes are like eating cardboard which would be more flavorful and you wouldn't have to wipe later.Built in t.p.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2005-09-09, 15:01
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevC
hmmm thanks guys, too bad i cant eat apples or my gums flare up and itch like fucking hell. i think its the peel that causes it and im too lazy to get it off. this happens with eggplants and cherries as well. anyone else here get that?

Happens to me.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2005-09-09, 19:30
KevC
Senior Metalhead

whats strange is that this never happened to me until 2 years ago...i was always able to eat apples and cherries to my hearts content for as long as i can remember.. btw does doing hard exercising during the day make it easier to fall asleep or have a better nights sleep?

Old 2005-09-09, 19:33
Transient
HES BAAACK

definitely helps me sleep!!

Old 2005-09-09, 19:39
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah it definitly does. It may help you sleep better because your body will be at work building more muscle(maybe not after running and stuff like that). Not too sure about that though.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-09, 22:42
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I'm glad I'd heard that falling asleep was common after a strenuous workout because the first time I did Pilates I drank some water during and after and then laid on my couch and slept soundly for about 45 minutes right after. It felt pretty darn good though.

My grandma ate strawberries all her life, but when she got to be about 80 she developed an allergy to them that would close off her windpipe. Allergies can happen anytime.

Last edited by L,B'XXX : 2005-09-09 at 22:45.

Old 2005-09-10, 02:38
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Alright, as my first post since I got back from patrol, I figure I'll start with the most important thing, weightlifting. Well, powerlifting, which is what I'm workin on right now, cuz my squat and bench numbers have gone to shit since I'd been underwater for two months.

I generally like listening to Trendkill by Pantera, GHUA by Slayer, Chaos AD by Sepultura, or The Wretched Spawn by CC when I'm lifting.

Routine:

Day 1:
Squat 5 x 6: 2 warmup sets with 135 for 15 reps, then the other sets 225-295 lbs.
Hack Squat 1 x 3: 315 lbs.
Leg Press 4x6: usually 500-600, depending on how tired I am (happiest number)
Leg Extensions 3x10: 165
Leg Curls or Seated Leg Curls 3x8 : 165 - 185
Seated or Standing Calf Raises 4x15 : 315 - 355
Reverse Curl 21s: 45 for 3 sets
Wrist Curls: 4 x 12: 60 - 100

Bench Press: 5 x 6: 2 warmup sets of 135, then my working sets are 185 - 225 (had to use a damn smith machine for the last two months, which killed that number)
Incline Bench/Decline Bench 3x10 : 165/165
Wide-Grip Bench Press 1x10 : 155
Dumbbell Bench Press 3xfailure : 60 (usually each set is about 8-10 reps, it's a bitch after 9 other sets of benching)
Behind-the-Neck or Front Shoulder Press or Seated Press 4x6 : 155-175
Lateral Raises or Bent-Over Lateral Raises 3x10 : 20s or 25s
Barbell Curls 3x8 : 80 or 90
Hammer Curls 3x8 : 45 or 50

Deadlift 5 x 6: warmup of 135, warmup of 185, then 5 sets of 275-355
Good Mornings 3x10 : 115 - 135
Behind-the-Neck/Front Pulldowns 4x6 : whatever 14 plates gets to...stupid machine doesn't have poundages on it
Cable Rows 3x10 : 190
Shrugs 3x10 : usually use dumbbells, 85 - 100 per
Close-Grip Bench Press 3x10 : 155 or 165
Dips 3xfailure : use my own body weight, usually get 7-10 reps per set
Heavy Cheat Curls 2x6 : 120 lb ez bar
Hammer Curls 3x8 : 45 or 50

As far as machines vs. free weights...I have my particulars on everything, but I'll just say overall I choose freeweights, they build better mass, and your stabilizers. Machines are useful, more for toning, but I use them occasionally...if anyone wants to know any particulars, ask me.

If you're wondering, I'm 6'1", 240 roughly, and have been working out for just about 3 years now. Navy kinda keeps me from the cycling and diet that I'd prefer sometimes, but I think I've made decent gains.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2005-09-10, 02:43
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

wow.

...about the particulars, I only saw freeweights as more dangerous if I drop one or something. What are some other ones that make freeweights better?
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-09-10, 02:57
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Freeweights build mass, they'll have your body moving naturally the way it's supposed to...as long as you're using a weight you can handle, um, it brings gravity into account, which also makes the movement more natural. If you want to get big, use freeweights for as many exercises as you can. If you just want to stay in decent shape, I guess hit machines. I only use machines if I'm recovering something, like when I hurt my shoulder in January, or for certain things you can't use freeweights for, such as Tricep Pressdowns...

As soon as you get used to the fact that you're not being held in place, you shouldn't be too afraid of freeweights. Bench pressing 100 lb. dumbbells will make you a bit nervous at first, took me a little getting used to, but if you get to that point, you should be pumped enough to not be too worried about it, and your stabilizers and triceps should be strong enough to keep your arms from giving out. Also, if you don't have a spotter, do what I do, ask one of the many people standing around resting to give you a spot real quick.

Quote:
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2005-09-10, 03:06
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Alright.

Sometime last year when I was doing some millitary presses with 100lbs, my veins started to hemorrhage. It was like my 3-4th set of ten and I was doing 'em slow, with only a little strain. Was that too much weight then? Or is it just some dumbass hereditary thing that I have to deal with forever? Sometimes in even my warm ups my veins pop out excessivley. And yeah it of course only happens when I'm doing millitary press where my arms are above my shoulders.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:06
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Holy shit, Wally!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2005-09-10, 03:18
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnSavior
Holy shit, Wally!

There's a reason everyone used to refer to me as Yeti around here...

powers: The only way I could tell real well whether you were using excessive weight is to see how you were moving the weight. With things in your shoulders, make sure you warm up thoroughly, because your rotator cuffs are about one of the easiest things to go and get fucked up. Momentum is your enemy when it comes to shoulder workouts, so drop the weight to have real good control. I generally do about 40 arm circles with no weights for each arm, then do a set of military presses with a bare bar, then one with a 25 lb plate on each side, then I do my working sets.
The veins showing isn't something to worry about, that's actually quite a point of pride for a lot of bodybuilders and weightlifters, especially ones my size. If you're stick thin, you're always going to see that vascularity, but if you're not real thin, then it's all the more impressive. Hemorrhaging is bad though, and that shouldn't happen, not that I'm aware of at least.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:20
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Sorry, I'm just use to your mom calling you Wally.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2005-09-10, 03:23
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Oh, I don't mind that, dude. I meant they used to call me Yeti cuz I'm big, and relatively strong...my numbers are still down though, so since my boat's going into the shipyard, I get to hit the gym pretty hardcore for the next couple years

I'll probably be spending more time on this thread than anywhere else in the forums, until it dies down, mostly because this is one of the things I like talking about the most. That, and nuclear power. Yeah, I'm a nerd, but I really like my job.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:28
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

I see. Reminds me of a guy I know we call Ogre, because he's huge and looks like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds. I'm about 6'2 and he makes me feel small. Damn, I'm rabbling...

I got a bench in my living room as of now. Lately I think I benched about 180, but it's been a while since I've actually tried working out.

Old 2005-09-10, 03:29
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Ha, yeah I've only an athletic build with extra large veins. And they were looking cool enough today when I was doing my arm curls.

I think I might start doing some decline benching...

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:35
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

I don't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that if you start at the top of your pecs and work your way down, you'll retain the most strength for the last two...so Incline, Flat, and Decline is a good order. I haven't personally noticed much difference, and I prefer Dips to decline presses, but right now I'm doing both...ah well.

I don't have too much vascularity right now, I'm just big, mostly...

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:37
The Execrator
Noob lud

I've yet to try decline benches or dips. I will next time at the gym. That makes sence to start incline then work your way to decline even if it doesn't work well.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:42
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Dips take a bit of getting used to, because you have to be able to hold yourself up and move up and down without swaying too much. The more upright you are, the more it hits your triceps, and the more you lean forward, the more it'll hit your lower pecs.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:42
powersofterror
Forum Leader

what're dips?

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:44
The Execrator
Noob lud

You use 2 parrallel bars that you lower yourself and raise yourself with your arms.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:44
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:49
powersofterror
Forum Leader

ahhh. And those do lower pecks? Same as decline bench?

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:50
The Execrator
Noob lud

I would think so. The motion is somewhat similar if you think about it.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

I guess. But decline benching is in a differnt angle. And they're vise versa by direction.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:54
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Yes, powers, it'll hit your lower pecs. Like I said, the accentuation will be based on the angle of your body.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:55
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpurgis
The more upright you are, the more it hits your triceps, and the more you lean forward, the more it'll hit your lower pecs.

Aha, it all makes since now. When you lean forward when doing dips, its basically a decline bench, targeting the lower pecs.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 03:56
powersofterror
Forum Leader

With that suggestion of order from you, should I do butterflies (both directions) after all three? Or stick those after the flat and before the dips/decline?

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-10, 03:58
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Whenever I do flies, I do them after all of my chest presses (incline, flat, and decline)
The energy that they take up will take a bit away from your presses, but my presses never really made my flies weaker. Last time I did them, I'd do incline and flat flyes, 35 lbs for usually 3 sets of 12.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 07:21
ShredIsNotDead
Post-whore

Bench Press, Incline BP, and Decline BP all work your pecs. There is no such thing as you "lower" or "upper" pec. The only difference between them is that the Incline hits the Delts a little harder, and the Declines hit the lats. Incline and Decline BP's aren't even necessary, and are usually used only for a little variation in your workout plan. I wouldn't suggest doing all three in one workout, it would be pointless, and you might overtrain. Make sure to use dumbells every once and a while, just to shock your body into some growth.

Old 2005-09-10, 07:56
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

They're not separate muscles, like the anterior, medial, and posterior deltoids, but if you don't think that doing incline and decline presses doesn't emphasize different areas of your chest (upper and lower, respectively) then you really need to look into it...

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 11:49
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Oh, I don't mind that, dude. I meant they used to call me Yeti cuz I'm big, and relatively strong...my numbers are still down though, so since my boat's going into the shipyard, I get to hit the gym pretty hardcore for the next couple years

I'll probably be spending more time on this thread than anywhere else in the forums, until it dies down, mostly because this is one of the things I like talking about the most. That, and nuclear power. Yeah, I'm a nerd, but I really like my job.

essentially, should your nuclear weapons fail, you can kick a country's ass with just your arms and legs :P

Old 2005-09-10, 20:15
KevC
Senior Metalhead

one of my favorite exercises is teh dip..but how straight do you have to be to get it in the tris? i seem to feel it in the chest the most and what exercises do you guys like the most?

Old 2005-09-10, 20:36
The Execrator
Noob lud

well I think you work more of your triceps the straighter you are but you are working your pecs more than triceps either way with dips.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-10, 20:38
low-tech
Post-whore

i just started working out again after a few weeks at my parents doing nothing, its like starting all over again.

Old 2005-09-10, 22:18
Transient
HES BAAACK

ive had terrible allergies and only got to the gym a few times this week... i have no energy for aerobic. i lifted about 3 times but damn i gotta get on the bike soon or im gonna lose it

Old 2005-09-11, 01:39
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Yeah, once you begin you can never stop and relax.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-11, 01:41
Transient
HES BAAACK

well im not taking a vacation here, i dont think its wise for me to ride an exercise bike when im coughing so much im dizzy. regardless, im going to bike tomorrow

Old 2005-09-11, 01:44
The Execrator
Noob lud

I cant wait untill monday, saturdays always my day off from lifting. It's getting harder and harder taking saturdays off but I know it's good for me.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-11, 01:45
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahah yeah you gotta take a day off

today i focused on lifting really clean and having perfect stance. i noticed a few weakspots i have, i recommend everyone who does any free lifting to focus on their postion while they left and see if theyre doing anything wrong

Old 2005-09-11, 01:48
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, when doing curls I make sure that I don't "rock" at all. I keep as straight and still as possible. I hate watching people do curls when rocking back and forward. It's doing half the work for you.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-11, 01:50
low-tech
Post-whore

yeah, isolation type stuff right? not swinging your curls, heaving you bench press, good posture as to not mess yourself up. im all sore and maxed out doing half my normal routine, this sucks

Old 2005-09-11, 01:51
Transient
HES BAAACK

MTM recommended sitting on a 45 degree angle bench while doing curls. im at a slight dissadvantage (or actually,is it an advantage?) my back is curved so that my shoulder blades are pushed out kind of far back, and my back isnt straight

Old 2005-09-11, 01:57
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, also some people lean against a wall when doing to curls to stop rocking too. I have no need sitting down or standing agaisnt a wall though so i havent tried.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-11, 02:00
powersofterror
Forum Leader

That sounds like a good idea....

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-11, 15:45
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
MTM recommended sitting on a 45 degree angle bench while doing curls. im at a slight dissadvantage (or actually,is it an advantage?) my back is curved so that my shoulder blades are pushed out kind of far back, and my back isnt straight

Doing angled seated curls is a good variation of curls, but it accentuates the length of the bicep, since the angle makes it constantly stretched, regardless of the position of your forearm. As far as leaning against something, it can be helpful, but it's totally unnecessary. If you can't stop rocking around while doing the exercise, that means you need to incorporate other muscle groups to move it, therefore, you're using too much weight.

Once you start doing curls frequently, you can tell whether you're using your deltoids too much, or too much momentum. But you will learn how your body is supposed to feel after awhile doing any exercise.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-11, 21:27
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Fuck I was going to work out today but I didn't wake up until 4pm... In a few hours I'm going to eat and go back to bed...

This is my band's page

Old 2005-09-15, 01:33
The Execrator
Noob lud

I just had a great workout.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 02:19
KevC
Senior Metalhead

nice, me too, cant feel my arms, its fucking great

Old 2005-09-15, 02:23
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hahaha, yeah same here. Cant wait to do it again.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 03:52
low-tech
Post-whore

rode the bike for 3 hours, jammed for 2. i gassed out alot during practice today, but im getting there

Old 2005-09-15, 19:17
Transient
HES BAAACK

an exercise bike for 3 hours?!

Old 2005-09-15, 19:50
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Well I've got a few questions.

Concerning upper body strength, can I work on all of my upper body using methods and equipment I can do/have at home, without going to the gym? (I've only got a set of dumbells by the way)

For lower body strength, pretty much the same story as above. Can I just ride a bike or go running to build it up? (I haven't got any weights or similar equpment to work with)

Basically for both, I just want to bulk up and get more "muscly".

If the answers to the above questions are "yes", then can someone post a link or type up the names of some exercises I can do?

(The reason I'm asking is because I can't be arsed to pay for gym membership, and I want to work out on my own time, like when I flip my day/night sleep pattern and want to work out at say, 3:00 AM.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2005-09-15, 20:52
The Execrator
Noob lud

yeah you would be able to do lots of stuff for your upper body with just dumbbells. You would probably need a workout bench or seat, whatever you would call it. Running would burn calories more than build muscle. You could do some stuff for your legs with the dumbbells too. Get creative.
Check out bodybuilding.com too. Good site.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 21:10
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
...Check out bodybuilding.com too. Good site.

I was gonna say that, too.

Old 2005-09-15, 21:21
low-tech
Post-whore

transient, rode the bmx for 3 hours yesterday

blizzard, just ride a bike, i know the weather is shit over there but winter riding makes you invinsible, hard as nails. its almost a cool as people who swim in the winter,you know, in the ocean

or just do 50 real fast squats<arms forward,bend you knees all the way,back straight> without any wieghts and walk down a flight of stairs<you'll see what i mean when you do it, dont fall down the stairs>. squats with or without wieghts is an excellent workout

Last edited by low-tech : 2005-09-15 at 21:24.

Old 2005-09-15, 21:33
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hahaha I just remembered... Some kid was benching with his friend at the gym last night. One of them got up to bench and his right arm was 10 times stronger than his left. The bar was so uneven it wasnt even funny. Well actually I was trying not to laugh out loud.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 21:41
low-tech
Post-whore

that happens to drummers, well not like a ten times difference but if you work carpentry, like framing or are a mechanic that can happen

Old 2005-09-15, 22:44
ManOwaR
Post-whore

ok, could someone tell me how to do exercises for:
Deltoids
Traps
Lats
Triceps
Biceps
Hams
Quads
or link me to some site that has excercises for them and tell me what they are?

Last edited by ManOwaR : 2005-09-15 at 22:56.

Old 2005-09-15, 22:57
Transient
HES BAAACK

check out my school day diet

morning :

1 cup of coffe
one bowl of kashi go lean with skim milk
maybe an english muffin or a kiwi and strawberries

lunch:
two plain rice cakes (35 calories each lol)
an apple
a SMALL amount of plain unsalted peanuts and raisins
usually a jello with no sugar and fat or a yogurt or something like that

dinner:
whatever we have (reasonable portions)

any suggestions?

Old 2005-09-15, 23:13
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
that happens to drummers, well not like a ten times difference but if you work carpentry, like framing or are a mechanic that can happen

I doubt that was his case. I think he just has too many lonely nights lying in bed.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 23:21
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
check out my school day diet

morning :

1 cup of coffe
one bowl of kashi go lean with skim milk
maybe an english muffin or a kiwi and strawberries

lunch:
two plain rice cakes (35 calories each lol)
an apple
a SMALL amount of plain unsalted peanuts and raisins
usually a jello with no sugar and fat or a yogurt or something like that

dinner:
whatever we have (reasonable portions)

any suggestions?

I have a couple. One, if you're trying to build any amount of muscle, your gains are going to be minimal since you're probably taking in less than 40g of protein per day. Secondly, what are you dieting for? You're eating approximately shit, quantitatively...

To whoever was asking about building their lower body earlier, you're not going to do much for yourself running and on a bike. You'll tone, but you won't build up much at all. Your legs are used to carrying your body weight around all day long, therefore, they're pretty strong. You need to overload your muscles (to an extent) to cause the muscle fibers damage, so when they repair themselves, the muscle gets bigger and more dense. Doing cardio isn't going to overload your muscles unless you're like 800 lbs, it's just gonna tone you up and use your energy.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 23:26
ramonovietsj
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOwaR
ok, could someone tell me how to do exercises for:
Deltoids
Traps
Lats
Triceps
Biceps
Hams
Quads
or link me to some site that has excercises for them and tell me what they are?

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

that will work.

Just eat, train and sleep.
I prefer free weights above machines. Just do the compound exercises (squat, deadlift, benchpress) and fill in some other shit. Make sure your diet is ok and don't overtrain your muscles. Good luck!

Old 2005-09-15, 23:36
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Quote:
IDoing cardio isn't going to overload your muscles unless you're like 800 lbs, it's just gonna tone you up and use your energy.

nicklzcrystalz: is that my problem?
Ulimnar: yes
Ulimnar: you're 800 lbs

Old 2005-09-15, 23:37
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
I have a couple. One, if you're trying to build any amount of muscle, your gains are going to be minimal since you're probably taking in less than 40g of protein per day. Secondly, what are you dieting for? You're eating approximately shit, quantitatively...

thanks wally

yeah, i realize i have a low protein count. from what i understand you can either gain muscle or lose weight (effectively, not lose 2 pounds of fat and get a little stronger) so ive decided to essentially divert my effort to lose weight. what am i dieting for? im about 167 now on a 5'8 frame..bit of a gut and overall baby fat that id like to get rid of .

Old 2005-09-15, 23:45
ManOwaR
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonovietsj
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

that will work.

Just eat, train and sleep.
I prefer free weights above machines. Just do the compound exercises (squat, deadlift, benchpress) and fill in some other shit. Make sure your diet is ok and don't overtrain your muscles. Good luck!

thanks very much for that link

Old 2005-09-15, 23:54
ramonovietsj
New Blood

you're welcome!

Old 2005-09-15, 23:55
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
thanks wally

yeah, i realize i have a low protein count. from what i understand you can either gain muscle or lose weight (effectively, not lose 2 pounds of fat and get a little stronger) so ive decided to essentially divert my effort to lose weight. what am i dieting for? im about 167 now on a 5'8 frame..bit of a gut and overall baby fat that id like to get rid of .

Are you normally hungry when you're done with those meals or sometime shortly after? I've never eaten a lot of that stuff, rice cakes and such, so I don't know how filling it is...because if you're hungry, then you're going to slow your metabolism. Your body will think it's not going to get sufficient energy, so it will conserve the hell out of what you take in, and the first thing your body uses to compensate energy is protein, which will take away from protein synthesis, which will keep you weaker and make injury more likely.
You can still lose weight if you up your protein intake, and your overall food intake...maybe make yourself get up to 5 smaller meals instead of 3 normal sized ones. Cardio will help you drop the weight, and weight training will also help, though not to the same degree. But if you're losing fat (cardio) and building muscle (weight training) at the same time, you'll get a much more impressive physique much faster.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-15, 23:59
Transient
HES BAAACK

one of the reasons i eat such small-ish meals is that no matter how much i eat, im always hungry in like 2 hours. when im home during the day i tend to have smaller snacks (bananas etc)

what do you suggest for protein? i cant even smell tuna so thats out of the question... drives me nuts.

and im going to go make some toast now because our last meal was not very satisfying at all

and i do extensive cardio (about 450 or so calories) 5 times a week, and weight training 3 times a week. by doing what ive been doing all summer, i lost about 15 pounds so somethings working ( im just not ripped yet, but i want to be skinnier before i get really into just plain lifting)

Old 2005-09-16, 00:03
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yogurt, milk, and cheese are all good sources of protein. Peanut butter even.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-16, 00:11
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

MEAT DAMN IT! MEAT! Chicken is great, as are eggs. Those are about the two best absorbed proteins aside from powdered protein isolates, but I don't know if you want to get into supplements. Anyway, cottage cheese is good at the end of the day because it burns slowly. Same with peanut butter. Beef jerky is good, but it's hard to find some that's worth eating. A lot of it is packed full of fat and sodium, which isn't good. Pemmican brand is good, but it's kinda expensive... If you like any kind of fish, that's a very good source, plus there are a lot of good amino acids in it. I guess that's a good starter.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-16, 00:12
Transient
HES BAAACK

i hate protein foods mostly...same with all fish! peanut butter isnt a problem, i always have peanut butter but never much

meat is usually dinner for me so... and when moms home in the morning i always have eggs